Re: How hacker will hack/impact my BLE device, when ...??

Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...>

Hi,
I think we can do OOB pairing, even if Device doesn't have display to share Passkey with user App.

1. Create ECDH public-private key pair (only once in Device life)
2. Read ECDH-Public key via Device serial terminal. Create QR code from it & add it in Device packaging.

3. User will scan it with APP & APP will transfer own dynamically created public key over BLE link.
4. Shared secret will created on both side which can be used to encrypt further communication.

Thanks,
vikrant8051

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 9:13 PM, Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...> wrote:
Hi,
https://eewiki.net/display/Wireless/A+Basic+Introduction+to+BLE+Security

MITM attacks are when a third device, which we will call the malicious device, impersonates the other two legitimate devices, in order to fool these devices into connecting to it. In this scenario, both the GAP Central and GAP Peripheral will connect to the malicious device which in turn routes the communication between the two other devices. This gives the legitimate devices the illusion that they are directly connected to each other when in fact their connection has been compromised. This setup not only allows the malicious device to intercept all the data being sent, but also allows it to inject false data into the communication or remove data before it reaches its intended recipient.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading this, I understand that without OOB Pairing everything is more or less insecure.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 7:04 PM, Marcio Montenegro <mtuxpe@...> wrote:
Google Secure beacons.No new hardware design :
https://developers.google.com/beacons/eddystone-eid

Regards,
Marcio

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 10:15 AM, Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...> wrote:
Hi Marcio,
I'm not allowed to add anything extra in my current hardware design.

Besides this, is there any thing which is very serious ?
I'm still trying to understand various security risk behind my current implementation.

Thanks,

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 5:35 PM, Marcio Montenegro <mtuxpe@...> wrote:
Hi all,
Maybe you can use crypto device on your product.

You also need to develop an application to configure  crypto device chip.
Then after configuration each device are unique.
For inspiration see:

Note that this devices has no Bluetooth.
Best,
Marcio

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 2:08 AM, Vakul Garg <vakul.garg@...> wrote:

Hi Vikrant

I am curious to understand about your security implementation.

I work in area of TLS security and I am not bluetooth security expert.

In your case, does the app need to differentiate between a genuine or fake device?

Will it be able to create a shared secret with the device even if it is a clone of genuine device and purpose programmed to leak the common encryption key?

Regards

Vakul