Re: Shave Zephyr boards with Occam's razor

Erwan Gouriou

Good! Thanks Carles.

On 27 April 2018 at 14:53, Cufi, Carles <Carles.Cufi@...> wrote:

In case anyone is wondering, the current dtc version in our Windows packaging scheme is 1.4.4, so we should be safe in this regard.

From: devel@... <devel@...> On Behalf Of Erwan Gouriou
Sent: 27 April 2018 14:35
To: Marti Bolivar <marti@...>
Cc: Bøe, Sebastian <Sebastian.Boe@...>; zephyr-devel <zephyr-devel@lists.zephyrproject.org>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Shave Zephyr boards with Occam's razor

Hi all,

Guidelines for default board configuration are now documented in Zephyr board porting guide.

Next step will be to get all existing boards to comply with these guidelines.

I've open issue #7191: boards: Move existing boards to "default configuration guidelines"[0] to drive this.

PR #7176[1] has also been created to provide a reference for board configuration, comments are welcome.

Please note that this activity has a dependency on upcoming SDK v0.9.3, as introduction of connectors

in device tree files requires usage of dtc > v1.4.1 [3].

Erwan

On 29 March 2018 at 17:14, Erwan Gouriou <erwan.gouriou@...> wrote:

For those interested in board shaving: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/6858

On 29 March 2018 at 17:04, Erwan Gouriou <erwan.gouriou@...> wrote:

Thanks for the feedbacks, I'll fill a GH Issue and try to get this progress

On 28 March 2018 at 14:13, Marti Bolivar <marti@...> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018, 8:02 AM Erwan Gouriou <erwan.gouriou@...> wrote:

On 28 March 2018 at 13:41, Bøe, Sebastian <Sebastian.Boe@...> wrote:

Hi,

documented guidelines and standards would be great.

One comment:

"c) Enable board valuable HW and connectors (Button, Led, Sensors, USB, BT chip, Wifi,
    Ethernet, VCP, )"

Board authors should not be speculating about what board components
will be used by an application. If they do this users will have to turn off
components that they never asked to be turned on in the first place[0].

Boards should be expressing:
"This is what this HW can do"

Applications should be expressing:
"This is what my application needs"

Agreed. Then we might turn this into:
"c) Configure board valuable HW and connectors (Button, Led, Sensors, USB, BT chip, Wifi,
    Ethernet, VCP, )"

So that enabling (activation) is application responsibility.

With this modification, I think this list sounds great for users (and should make things more consistent and simple for developers and reviewers too).

Thanks a lot, Erwan, for driving this.

Marti

I'm not saying this is easy, and perhaps achieving it requires some plumbing
that is not present yet, but this is the direction we need to be moving.

[0] https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/5454
#5381 [RFC] Add gpio nodes to stm32 based soc/boards [1]
I also have a short coming work using aliases and addressing:
#6017 Enable easy use of shields with overlays [2]

Best Regards
Erwan

[1] https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/5381
[2] https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/6017