Re: Extending Error Codes

Carles Cufi

Hi Piotr,

-----Original Message-----
From: devel@lists.zephyrproject.org <devel@lists.zephyrproject.org> On
Behalf Of Ziecik, Piotr
Sent: 30 April 2018 16:20
To: Puzdrowski, Andrzej <Andrzej.Puzdrowski@nordicsemi.no>;
devel@lists.zephyrproject.org
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Extending Error Codes

Hi.

I do not think that per-module error codes are good idea.
I agree. I think a single set of generic error codes that are flexible enough to convey the message are a better approach.
That still leaves out how to extend errno.h for both newlib and minimal.

Should we have an extended errno-zephyr.h for Zephyr somewhere in include/?

Carles

First, you cannot to this:
foo_error_t foo(void)
{
boo_error_t error = boo();
if (error != BOO_SUCCESS)
return error; // Here you are changing the meaning of the
message. If the error will be propagated further the correct meaning
will dissolve and the error code will become useless.
}

To solve the problem shown above you will need a translation:
foo_error_t foo(void)
{
boo_error_t error = boo();

// Waste of space here: copy-paste to each function using BOO and
hard to maintain:
switch (error) {
case BOO_SUCCESS:
return FOO_SUCCESS;

case BOO_NOT_FOUND:
return FOO_NOT_FOUND;

default:
// Please maintain me 😊
__ASSERT(false);

IMHO the best solution is to extend the errno.h, but please remember
that all errors defined there must be generic (reusable across different
modules).

Best Regards,
Piotr Zięcik
Senior Firmware Engineer