Re: RFC - arm-gcc-embedded Toolchain Support

Nashif, Anas

Hi Hugo,

On 29 Feb 2016, at 18:18, Hugo Vincent <hugo.vincent(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Anas,

Can you please confirm if you want me to progress this RFC (since it's more convenient to have the VARIANT set, rather than specifying CROSS_COMPILE each time)? If so, what if any changes would you like? Should I submit it to gerrit?
Yes, please do submit.

Hugo

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Nashif, Anas <anas.nashif(a)intel.com> wrote:
Hugo,

Looks good to me. You can also do that by specifying CROSS_COMPILE at the command line, for example:

CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-eabi- make BOARD=qemu_cortex_m3

will build using the installed ARM toolchain on my host. You do not need to specify the VARIANT.

From: Hugo Vincent <hugo.vincent(a)gmail.com<mailto:hugo.vincent(a)gmail.com>>
Date: Monday, 29 February 2016 at 09:18
To: "devel(a)lists.zephyrproject.org<mailto:devel(a)lists.zephyrproject.org>" <devel(a)lists.zephyrproject.org<mailto:devel(a)lists.zephyrproject.org>>
Subject: [devel] RFC - arm-gcc-embedded Toolchain Support

Hi,

One of the complications of setting up a Zephyr development environment, especially on OS X, is having to get and build CrossTool-NG. ARM maintains an official distro and build of gcc and family for Cortex-M and Cortex-R at https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded, which provides pre-built binaries for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

I created a simple, minimal Makefile.toolchain.gcc-arm-embedded that adds support for this toolchain to Zephyr, see attached patch. If there is interest in accepting this, I can add qemu and OpenOCD to this, as well as update the documentation, as well as generalising/parameterising the paths etc. Please advise how to proceed.

I tested on the frdm_k64f board, with versions 4.9-2015-q2-update and 5.0-2015-q4-major of the toolchain, and with several of the example applications, and they all functioned correctly.

(There is also another hunk in the patch that adds .DS_Store to gitignore -- it's a metadata file generated by the OS X Finder, and can be safely ignored).

Regards,
Hugo

(Disclaimer: I work at ARM, but this is a personal contribution).