Re: 2/5 System Device Driver Modifications

Kalowsky, Daniel <daniel.kalowsky@...>

-----Original Message-----
From: Boie, Andrew P [mailto:andrew.p.boie(a)intel.com]
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2016 9:24 AM
To: Thomas, Ramesh <ramesh.thomas(a)intel.com>;
devel(a)lists.zephyrproject.org
Subject: [devel] Re: 2/5 System Device Driver Modifications

2) Provide a name recognized by the device_get_binding() function, this
includes what are currently thought to be drivers such as timers, IOAPIC,
and
LOAPIC.
Why do you need this for the LOAPIC/IOAPIC?
All its functions are private to the kernel and do not require a device pointer.
Please provide a specific example on where you would need to run
device_get_binding() specifically for the APIC.
device_get_binding() is *slow*. It does a linear search + strcmp(). Use it
sparingly.
We agree that the device_get_binding is slow. We'd rather not depend upon it, which is why we had suggested the addition of a routine to get the start and end of the device list and allow the PMA to parse this list once at initialization to figure out what is or is not needed for power policies.

If we go with that solution, pushing all policy decisions to the PMA, we need to be able to properly identify the devices as that list is parsed. Currently several devices, like IOAPIC and LOAPIC, have no name or function to identify them and make this route difficult.