Re: remove zephyr-env.sh

Carles Cufi

Hi Inaky,

-----Original Message-----
From: Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky [mailto:inaky.perez-gonzalez(a)intel.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 20:45
To: devel(a)lists.zephyrproject.org
Subject: [devel] RFC: remove zephyr-env.sh

Hello All

https://jira.zephyrproject.org/browse/ZEP-211 has been entered to track
a proposal to remove zephyr-env.sh.

<<from the ticket>>
Currently we require the user to source the zephyr-env.sh environment to
set up the build environment. This is awkward; things build fine without
it and the user still has to manually setup ZEPHYR_BASE,
ZEPHYR_GCC_VARIANT and ZEPHYR_SDK_INSTALL_DIR.
I might be mistaken but I believe ZEPHYR_BASE is indeed set by zephyr-env.sh, so it does not need to be set manually. In fact I ran into an issue where I had my own ZEPHYR_BASE set to "/home/me/src/zephyr" but was working on a separate "/home/me/src/zephyr-upstream/" copy of the repo and my changes to Kconfig obviously never showed up, leaving me puzzled. It is somehow convenient to be able to set the ZEPHYR_BASE to whatever copy of the repo one is building, but it would be even better if make itself would do that when building instead, based on the path where one executes it.

By the way, and as a side comment, paths containing "~" do not seem to work in ZEPHYR_BASE and <toolchain>_TOOLCHAIN_PATH. Instead one has to explicitly set "/home/me".