We are looking for a better workflow and tools for making and maintaining enhancement proposals for Zephyr.
Currently contributors and developers are asked to send an email to the mailing list with their enhancement proposal. The mailing list is perfect for discussion of any proposals or issues, however we are looking for a more formal location for submitting and tracking proposal changes. The idea is that we continue to discuss any proposals on the mailing list, however, any incremental changes up to adoption will need to be submitted and maintained in version control system and later made available on the web site or some other form.
A few notes:
- To get to the above, we will create a gerrit project dedicated for proposals
- Proposals will be submitted using the RST documentation syntax, the same format we also use for documentation
- Proposals will follow a template and sections some of which would be mandatory, some will be optional
- Every proposal will need to have a matching JIRA item submitted as a story with a brief description
- Proposals will be maintained in GIT and will be categorised based on state, i.e. adopted, rejected, deferred, pending…
- The link between the proposal in git, JIRA and later the submitted code implementing a proposal has to always be established and maintained.
Feedback and comments welcome.
P.S: We need to give the process a name. We have been using RFC on the mailing list, Personally I prefer to call those *proposals* or *blueprints* or *enhancements* (and the git tree containing them would carry this name as well).