Re: Minimal Zephyr build

Nashif, Anas

David,
If I am not mistaken we have done some changes to address this and were able to get similar footprint on one of the platforms. Can you share some more details how you got the 10k difference and what are the configurations/boards you are using? A quick test I have done with minimal configuration and single thread shows the kernel taking 18%, this will need to be replaced by some logic if you decide to do a split, so I am no sure if this is a big gain.

From: zephyr-devel-bounces@... [mailto:zephyr-devel-bounces@...] On Behalf Of David Brown
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 5:17 PM
To: zephyr-devel@...
Subject: [Zephyr-devel] Minimal Zephyr build

At the past mini summit (Austin), a few of us had discussions about making builds using Zephyr that are more minimal. My specific use case is about the boot loader, which has very few requirements:

- It needs a flash driver.
- It may need a UART.
- It may need access to crypto hardware (not currently).

Currently, there is quite a bit of code brought in by this that isn't really needed (for example, there is only a single thread). (A mynewt build of mcuboot ends up about 10K smaller than a Zephyr build).

Vincenzo Frascino did a little work to conditionalize some of this, but I was wondering what people think might be the best approach.

The approach taken by Mynewt (where mcuboot comes from), is to separate the kernel from the HAL. They are able to build mcuboot with just the HAL.

Are there other uses for a more minimal version of Zephyr. I realize we got rid of the nano kernel, but perhaps being able to work without the scheduler, or timers, etc might be more generally useful.

Thanks,
David