Re: [RFC] Provide a generic interface for getting the SOC ID and version

Liu, Baohong

Hi Andrew,

-----Original Message-----
From: Boie, Andrew P
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 10:50 PM
To: Liu, Baohong <baohong.liu(a)intel.com>; devel(a)lists.zephyrproject.org
Subject: RE: [RFC] Provide a generic interface for getting the SOC ID and
version

There can be a need to provide a generic interface API for getting the SOC
ID,
version, and other identifying data. These data can be useful for an
application to use to generate unique Information (for example, MAC
addresses).
Hi Baohong,

Can you give a little more detail about use-cases? Seems like the information
being queried is not unique per-device data but identification values for the
HW.
In Zephyr pretty much everything is known at build time, so I would to learn
more about why we think we need runtime support for this.
Good questions. My understanding the main idea is the scalability on reading
these information from registers at run time vs. hardcoding them at build time.

The MAC case mentioned may be a bit confusing (but if it in fact was a usage,
it should also reply on additional information, not just using only SoC id or rev
number in deriving a unique MAC, as you pointed out).