Re: QEMU networking: CONFIG_NET_TESTING breaks things, echo_server IPv6 address is "wrong"

Maureen Helm

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Sokolovsky [mailto:paul.sokolovsky(a)linaro.org]
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2016 10:43 AM
To: Flavio Santes <flavio.santes(a)intel.com>
Cc: devel(a)lists.zephyrproject.org
Subject: [devel] Re: Re: QEMU networking: CONFIG_NET_TESTING breaks
things, echo_server IPv6 address is "wrong"

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 20:19:06 -0000
"Flavio Santes" <flavio.santes(a)intel.com> wrote:

Hello

Hello,

Taking a chance, I'd like to start with drawing attention to
https://jira.zephyrproject.org/browse/ZEP-687 "docs:
Subsystems/Networking section is almost empty". Zephyr networking
See also https://jira.zephyrproject.org/browse/ZEP-188

information currently is sparse, disperse, bits are out of date, and
there're omissions/inconsistencies. Just linking a wiki landing page
from the official docs and letting community fill in that wiki would
be a good first step.
Agree

Anyway, waiting for real hardware support, I decided to give QEMU
networking a try. After some moderate googling, I arrived at
https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/gitweb?p=net-tools.git;a=summary
and https://wiki.zephyrproject.org/view/Networking-with-Qemu . The
initial outcome: nothing works.
There is support for real hardware, see:
https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/gitweb?p=zephyr.git;a=blob;f=sample
s/net/dns_client/prj_galileo.conf

There is also a driver for enc28j60, see:
https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/Ethernet/ENC28J60-
H/resources/
ENC28J60-H.pdf
Yes, thanks, I meant for Ethernet support in FRDM-K64F which I have on my
hands now.
Can you share?

[]

The obvious question is what to do in this situation. I'm personally
keen to update
https://wiki.zephyrproject.org/view/Networking-with-Qemu to describe
a setup which actually works now (this is mostly doing steps in the
right order, but also building with CONFIG_NET_TESTING=n).
I've made first pass of changes to
https://wiki.zephyrproject.org/view/Networking-with-Qemu , ordering
connection bring up steps properly and adding a bit more info here and there.
Going to look into CONFIG_NET_TESTING in more detail before adding
suggestion to disable it in the wiki.

Linaro.org | Open source software for ARM SoCs Follow Linaro:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro