Re: [Zephyr-tsc] [Zephyr-devel] Highlights from the TSC meeting during ELCE

Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky <inaky.perez-gonzalez@...>

My replies with IPG>> prefixed below

From: tsc@... [tsc@...] on behalf of Marti Bolivar [marti@...]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 1:11 PM
To: Ceolin, Flavio
Cc: Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky; Nashif, Anas; devel@...; tsc@...
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-tsc] [Zephyr-devel] Highlights from the TSC meeting during ELCE

Hi,

I'd like to discuss some counterpoints.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018, 6:38 PM Flavio Ceolin <flavio.ceolin@...> wrote:
"Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky" <inaky.perez-gonzalez@...> writes:

> Thanks for the summary, Anas
>

>>> 4.       We are considering a new communication platform to replace IRC. Candidates are Slack and gitter. This has not been decided yet, if you have any feedback, please let us know.
>
> I'd like to ask what is the rationale behind IRC replacement, what is trying to be solved?
>
> IRC is:
> - easy to access for everyone from every platform

In all honesty I think

s/platform/Linux distribution/

And I agree.

IRC is not "easy" across platforms in a modern sense of the word, unless you use irccloud (which, full disclosure, I do, after changing from ERC within emacs by way of various other clients starting with Ircle on pre-OS X Macs back in the day).

Note irccloud is not free software.

IPG >> I'll admit I haven't used windows for a long time, but a quick google:

IPG>> many of them open source; and I can tell you pidgin (the client I use in Linux) works in Windows supporting almost every single messaging protocol reasonably open (and some propietary ones).

> - well integrated into everyone's favourite messaging client

"Everyone's"?

IPG>> I'll be quite surprised a successful multi-protocol messaging client is written that doesn't support IRC

IRC clients that look good on a modern desktop (again, other than irccloud) are lacking. (Yup, that's an opinion.) Mobile support without irccloud is also lacking.

IPG>> pidgin for Windows/Linux/Mac/Chrome, mutter for IRC on iOS  (can't talk to that because I don't IRC from my cellphone)

And it's not like irccloud is exactly a household name.

Taking "everyone" by raw numbers, we'd be looking for WhatsApp,  WeChat, etc. integration, and I don't think their clients can be called "well" integrated with IRC.