Re: [Zephyr-tsc] [Zephyr-devel] Highlights from the TSC meeting during ELCE

Carles Cufi

Hi Paul,

-----Original Message-----
From: tsc@lists.zephyrproject.org <tsc@lists.zephyrproject.org> On
Behalf Of Paul Sokolovsky
Sent: 29 October 2018 22:45
To: Marti Bolivar <marti@foundries.io>
Cc: Flavio Ceolin <flavio.ceolin@intel.com>; Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky
<inaky.perez-gonzalez@intel.com>; Nashif, Anas <anas.nashif@intel.com>;
devel@lists.zephyrproject.org; tsc@lists.zephyrproject.org
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-tsc] [Zephyr-devel] Highlights from the TSC meeting
during ELCE

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 20:11:04 +0000
"Marti Bolivar" <marti@foundries.io> wrote:

[]

Slack is a proprietary de facto standard in this context, at least in
the west.
Love that argument. So, perhaps we shouldn't look for easy ways and
embrace diversity in general, and look for WeChat that you mentioned or
QQ?

From Carles next mail:

IRC is not only a tool for core contributors, maintainers and TSC
members, but also users of the RTOS. The sentence “oh, but IRC still
*exists*” has come up too many times in the last few months while
introducing engineers to the Zephyr project.
That's actually very good comment. Trying to close my eyes and make a
reminiscence of that, following comes out of me: "There's an idea to
make a *support* channel on Slack for all the "IRC lives??"
people." Sounds great, and especially that there're people who want to
do support both on IRC and elsewhere.

The more dissemination we have, the better. Just randomly searched for
"zephyr rtos" (no hope for just "zephyr") on Reddit, and disappointedly,
#1 hit is still the post for 1.9 release I made a year ago. If we can't
make semi-regular posts on popular IT crowd sites like Reddit, let's at
least create a Slack channel. Or can do both actually. Or all of them:
For what is worth, I (relatively) regularly comment and post on Reddit about Zephyr. On r/embedded to be precise, but also on other subreddits.

1. Development channel on IRC
2. I believe there is/was something like #zephyr-bluetooth on IRC too.
I never understood why, but I heard there was.
3. Slack channel.
4. Reddit subreddit
... more
Not sure if I get this, but I think you are suggesting we combine both IRC and Slack. While I don't think that's the greatest of situations to find ourselves in, I would have no problem using both (I already do in fact). But then we'd need the devs to also frequent the Slack channel, otherwise it'd be a bit pointless.