Re: Zephyr (v1.13.0) HCI_UART running on nRF52 DK why BD address is always 00:00:00:00:00:00 after power cycle #nrf52832

The *public* address is all zeroes because Nordic ICs do not come with one pre-assigned. The *random static* address is set by BlueZ itself, so it will be whatever BlueZ decides it to be.

You don’t typically need a public address to work with BLE.

Carles

From: devel@... <devel@...> On Behalf Of frv
Sent: 09 November 2018 11:49
To: Zephyr-devel@...
Subject: [Zephyr-devel] Zephyr (v1.13.0) HCI_UART running on nRF52 DK why BD address is always 00:00:00:00:00:00 after power cycle #nrf52832

Hallo Zephyr community,

Anyone knowing why the BD address is always the ZERO address, when using the nRF52 board running the Zephyr HCI uart hex.

I also see that the random address remains the same after power cycling the nRF board.

Also differences in showing the address for the HCI controller when running the bluetoothctl and hcitool dev commands.

Nor using the hcitool or btmgmt tool makes it possible to adjust the addressing, only so far the hcitool cmd 0x3f 0x006 address makes a difference as long as the board is not power cycled (as the setting is volatile, the default non volatile addresses to zero it seems).

Please see my findings described more in detail here in the Nordic Dev Zone, last reply in the message queue.

https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/f/nordic-q-a/22194/read-or-change-nrf51-mac-address-on-zephyr/156634#156634

Any feedback is very welcome,

Thanks in advance,

Frank