Re: [Zephyr-users] Introducing west, Zephyr's meta-tool

Carles Cufi

Hi Jamie, Luiz,

-----Original Message-----
From: Jamie Mccrae <Jamie.Mccrae@lairdtech.com>
Sent: 29 January 2019 10:35
To: Luiz Augusto von Dentz <luiz.dentz@gmail.com>; Cufi, Carles
<Carles.Cufi@nordicsemi.no>
Cc: zephyr-devel <zephyr-devel@lists.zephyrproject.org>; zephyr-
users@lists.zephyrproject.org
Subject: RE: [Zephyr-devel] [Zephyr-users] Introducing west, Zephyr's
meta-tool

Hi Carles,
Note that we have not at any point considered moving away from
GitHub. The plan is to adapt to what the service offers and try to find
a solution that works well with it. This is also one of the reasons we
are first introducing west without actually splitting the ext/ folder
into multiple external repos: we want to expose users to west before we
start doing more radical changes.

Well good, though Im not sure what problem does west solves then? For
pulling it sounds like submodules is the preferable solution (to linux
folks at least):
https://public-inbox.org/git/338901fc-6dc8-2684-c116-393e603f85e9@suse
.de/t/
I agree with Luiz here, what does west provide that submodules doesn't
provide? Why do I and others now need yet another piece of software to
build Zephyr code (python)?
There are a number of reasons why we don't use Git submodules, all of which are described in the GitHub issue describing multi-repo:

I encourage you to read through the (admittedly quite long) list of comments there and continue the conversation.