From: Hedberg, Johan <johan.hedberg@...>
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 1:17 AM
To: ryan.kayesimmons@...
Cc: devel@...
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Porting Zephyr HCI Layer

Hi Ryan, On 14. Jan 2020, at 9.13, ryan.kayesimmons@... wrote: > I am currently trying to port the Zephyr HCI UART example (for nrf52840_pca10056) to FreeRTOS but and am having some difficulties doing so. The reasoning behind this is that I want to run a Host application, that uses FreeRTOS, What do you mean by a “Host application”? A Bluetooth host application? Using what APIs? > on the same chip. That’s a bit confusing. hci_uart is for cases where the Bluetooth controller and host are on different chips, with a UART transport in between. > Correct me if I’m wrong, but it looks like the Zephyr OS is tightly coupled with the HCI layer and would take a lot of time to decouple and replace with FreeRTOS – is this a fair statement to make? The hci_uart application is a fairly light-weight piece of code that enables one of the possible HCI drivers in Zephyr and then adapts that to the standard UART HCI transport protocol. In the case of the nRF52840 the underlying HCI driver maps to the full native Bluetooth link layer of Zephyr, i.e. that’s where the bulk of the code is, and that’s tightly coupled to Zephyr. > I guess I just want to know if I’ll be wasting a lot of my time if I take this approach! I’m left with many open questions based on your email, but I get the feeling you might want to explore the feasibility of porting your “host application” to Zephyr rather than vice-versa. Johan