Re: SOC_DIR not populated

Dan Kalowsky <dank@...>

Trying to respond to both replies in the same email here...

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 1:44 PM Rasmussen, Torsten <Torsten.Rasmussen@...> wrote:

Hi,

I have retested the functionality by relocating SoCs from ${ZEPHYR_BASE}/soc into modules, and this worked as expected.

Both when using `zephyr/module.yml` and `-DSOC_ROOT=<path>`.

So I took one more look at your folder structure and compared to the code, and I noticed you wrote:

--- product/

--- Kconfig

--- Kconfig.defconfig

--- Kconfig.soc

I notice that both the folder `product` and the files Kconfig.* has `---` (3) dashes in front of them, so I just want to verify that those files are located in the `product` dir and not directly in `arm` dir ?

Sorry if the crudely generated ascii art was not clear enough.  The Kconfig* files are in the product directory.

> Please re-read the original message.  You have a hidden dependency that has been overlooked that causes completely out of tree SOCs to not work.  The setup works fine for in-tree and within the Zephyr source SOCs because of other assumptions in the code.

Seems I was a bit too fast I my reply.

The SOC_DIR shall no longer be exported to Kconfig, cause when Kconfig is executed the first time, then we need ALL soc roots present.

Otherwise we cannot decide the correct SOC to use for the given board.

I will not claim to know what problem you were encountering or trying to solve.  From my limited viewpoint, the above statement feels like it is based on an incorrect assumption.  If, as the application developer, I provide an SOC_ROOT value, I do not care about any of the other possible soc directories that can be encountered.  The code for the soc I want selected and used is in the directory I specified by setting the SOC_ROOT value.  Again, I do not know what issue you were trying to solve (it was not clear to me from the pull request) or where the new functionality is needed, but I do ask that you please not break the behavior that has been working for sometime in 2.2 and 2.3.

Thus, a Kconfig file is generated at the build directory here:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/master/cmake/kconfig.cmake#L9-L22

and then sourced into Kconfig here:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/master/soc/Kconfig#L6

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/master/soc/Kconfig#L11

So the `SOC_DIR` must no longer be exported cause Kconfig cannot hanled a list of dirs..

This is the reason for generating Kconfig files that can then be sourced into Kconfig.

I agree that Kconfig cannot handle a list of dirs.  That was not a problem previously, as a SOC_DIR was selected BEFORE kconfig was called to generate everything.  By moving the selection of the SOC_DIR to a later position in the code, specifically after including the kconfig.cmake file, you introduce the problem you cite.  From my examination, there appears to be no technical reason for the relocation of the code to select the SOC_DIR.

 Could you verify the content of:

${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/Kconfig/Kconfig.soc.defconfig

${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/Kconfig/Kconfig.soc

${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/Kconfig/Kconfig.soc.arch

I'll do one better.  You may recreate the issue yourself and validate all the data you want.

This will not ever compile as I have hastily thrown together bits from the Zephyr tree and wrote some quick hackish kconfigs.  Those typos and errors are not of interest to fix for this discussion.  But this does re-create the error I am raising in parsing the kconfig files even on just running menuconfig.  See the README for details on the steps needed to reproduce it.

One question:

> Thus when setting a custom SOC_DIR

Are you setting the `SOC_DIR` yourself ?

The `SOC_DIR` is for the Zephyr build system, the correct way to do this is to set `SOC_ROOT` as described:

https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/application/index.html#soc-definitions

as: `cmake -DSOC_ROOT=<path> ….`

That would be a typo on my part.  Everything is set via the *_ROOT values, set in the application/src/CMakeLists.txt file.

/torsten

Sorry for any trouble the latest changes is causing you.

With https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/26715 it is now possible to provide multiple SoC roots, allowing for greater flexibility.

Please re-read the original message.  You have a hidden dependency that has been overlooked that causes completely out of tree SOCs to not work.  The setup works fine for in-tree and within the Zephyr source SOCs because of other assumptions in the code.

and as you see, the `SOC_DIR` is still populated, but because there can only be a single SOC_DIR, we need to decide on the correct SOC_DIR to use.
To do so, we check for the existence of the SoC under its corresponding arch.

All SoCs in Zephyr are grouped under `soc/${ARCH}/` and this could be the root cause in your case.

Looking again at the code, I suspect you have your SoCs located directly under:

```

${YOUR_PRIVATE_REPO}/soc/your_soc

```

If you can move your SoC into an `${ARCH}` folder, for example:

```

${YOUR_PRIVATE_REPO}/soc/arm/your_soc

```

Then things should work again.

Again, I will encourage you to re-read the original message.  The layout you are requesting to be followed is what has been followed.

If your repo is defined as a Zephyr module, you even have the possibility of adding this into the nodule.yml file:

https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/guides/modules.html#build-settings

The values of *_ROOT are all defined in cmake variables.  They have been confirmed to be correctly populated via calls to cmake messages() at the first time of parsing in the boilerplate.cmake file.  If we can focus more on why SOC_DIR is not populated at the time of consumption by kconfig.cmake it would be appreciated.

Best regards

Torsten