We are pleased to announce the release of Zephyr RTOS version 2.4.0!
Major enhancements with this release include:
- Introduced initial support for virtual memory management.
- Added Bluetooth host support for periodic advertisement and isochronous channels.
- Enabled the new TCP stack, TCP2, by default. This stack was introduced in Zephyr v2.1.0 to improve network protocol testability with open source tools.
- Introduced a new toolchain abstraction with initial implementations for GCC and LLVM/Clang, and groundwork for future support of commercial toolchains.
- Moved to using C99 integer types and deprecate Zephyr integer types. The Zephyr types can be enabled by Kconfig DEPRECATED_ZEPHYR_INT_TYPES option.
During this release cycle we also:
- Migrated to a new CI infrastructure.
- Started aggregating board farm test results from multiple companies.
- Agreed on a set of MISRA-based coding guidelines and a plan to implement them.
- Reduced a large backlog of low priority bugs.
The detailed release notes can be found here:
The next release, v2.5.0, is scheduled for January 29th, 2021. We’ll select a release manager in the next few days. The merge window is now open!
Thank you to everyone that contributed features, documentation, testing, infrastructure, and bug fixes!