Date

Re: #ZephyrBluetoothMesh ..... What Next ?? ....need info beyond #zephyrbluetoothmesh #gettingstartedguide

Johan Hedberg

Hi Vikrant,

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017, Vikrant More wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=301ynC2IdbY

Mr. Martin Woolley has released video which shows time required to discover
& provision #BluetoothMesh DEVICE.

In this case, he has used "firmware + board + APP" only from Silicon labs.
Is this a reason behind his board get quickly discovered by the APP
(approx.4 to 5 Seconds) ?
It's impossible to say for sure without some more information. It's
possible that different advertising parameters are used. If you have
PB-ADV enabled that will also take time away from PB-GATT advertising.
Note that after initialization Zephyr will advertise for one minute
using more agressive parameters (faster discovery & connection creation)
and after that move to more relaxed parameters to save power.

While testing, I noticed that Silicon Labs #BluetoothMESHApp takes more
time to discover nrf52840-PDK as DEVICE. Sometimes I have to reboot the
nrf52 board or restart APP.
Are you saying that Zephyr is somehow stuck in this case? I haven't seen
that happen. If you reproduce it, it would be good if you could do some
more thorrough analysis of what's going on (e.g. has everything come to
a halt, or are the threads still running but the controller just stopped
advertising, or something like that).

Could you please tell me how to explore all available features within
#ZephyrBluetoothMesh ?

After

1) controlling on board LEDs using Silicon Labs APP &
2) publishing data by pressing Button on nrf52-PDK board to control
LEDs on other boards

I don't know what to do next ?
That largely depends what you want to do, i.e. what kind of device &
application you want to build. If you haven't done so already, I
recommend browsing through the Mesh Model Specification to see what kind
of standard models exist. If none fit the use case you have in mind you
could also consider creating a custom vendor model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwVwIjTX6SI in this video you are
utilizing concept of heartbeat. Could you please tell me more about it
? When & why to use it ?
I can't say much beyond what you can find in the Mesh Profile
Specification. The relevant sections would be 3.6.5.10, 4.2.17 and
4.2.18. The feature is useful e.g. for discovering the topology of a
network as well as for getting notifications when the enabled features
of a node changes.

Johan

#ZephyrBluetoothMesh ..... What Next ?? ....need info beyond #zephyrbluetoothmesh #gettingstartedguide

Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...>

Mr. Martin Woolley has released video which shows time required to discover & provision #BluetoothMesh DEVICE.

In this case, he has used "firmware + board + APP" only from Silicon labs. Is this a reason behind his board get quickly discovered by the APP (approx.4 to 5 Seconds) ?

In my case,
Board = nrf52840-PDK
Firmware = Zephyr-OS
APP = Silicon Labs Mesh APP.

While testing, I noticed that Silicon Labs #BluetoothMESHApp takes more time to discover nrf52840-PDK as DEVICE. Sometimes I have to reboot the nrf52 board or restart APP.

Could you please tell me how to explore all available features within #ZephyrBluetoothMesh ?

After

1) controlling on board LEDs using Silicon Labs APP &
2) publishing data by pressing Button on nrf52-PDK board to control LEDs on other boards

I don't know what to do next ?

Need your help so that I can utilize maximum available features within #ZephyrBluetoothMesh?

Meshctl & Silicon Labs App has limited Models support & hence can't do anything beyond that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwVwIjTX6SI in this video you are utilizing concept of heartbeat. Could you please tell me more about it ? When & why to use it ?

Re: I2C driver for nrf52840 not being compiled

ashish.shukla@corvi.com <ashish.shukla@...>

Hi,

Thanks, it compiles and run successfully.

--
Warm regards,
Ashish Shukla

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Puzdrowski, Andrzej <Andrzej.Puzdrowski@...> wrote:

Hi.

For nRF52840 I2C driver is zephyr. All its option are in general i2c Kconfig file.

I attached configuration I had used to compile example you mentioned.

BR

Andrzej

From: "Boie, Andrew P" <andrew.p.boie@...>
Date: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 11:01
To: "Li, Jun R" <jun.r.li@...>, Michael Rosen <michael.r.rosen@...>, "Pallala, Ramakrishna" <ramakrishna.pallala@...>, "zephyr-devel@..." <zephyr-devel@...>
Subject: RE: [Zephyr-devel] How to detect a thread is aborted and restart it?

Ø  However, it seems not possible to restart the same thread with the same struct thread variable, with the function “k_thread_create”.  When the function is called, the system is stuck. Has anyone tried to restart an aborted thread before?

Hi Li,

Yes this should be possible, we do this all the time (recycle thread objects) in our test cases.

Have you had a chance to debug this further? Where does it get stuck for you?

Andrew

Re: multithread problem in zephyr application

Boie, Andrew P

Ø I have no idea why the application crashes at this address, is it like a thread racing condition problem or the thread stack overflow happened?

My money would be on stack overflow. You can try to enable the MPU (if supported) or enable CONFIG_STACK_SENTINEL to try to establish if this is the case. Stack overflows tend to cause all kinds of impossible/baffling behavior.

Ø By the way, how can I check which thread crashes with the thread ID “20000c4c”?

The address should resolve to an instance of struct k_thread in the symbol table.

HTH,

Andrew

Re: How to detect a thread is aborted and restart it?

Boie, Andrew P

Ø However, it seems not possible to restart the same thread with the same struct thread variable, with the function “k_thread_create”.  When the function is called, the system is stuck. Has anyone tried to restart an aborted thread before?

Hi Li,

Yes this should be possible, we do this all the time (recycle thread objects) in our test cases.

Have you had a chance to debug this further? Where does it get stuck for you?

Andrew

Re: How to detect a thread is aborted and restart it?

Li, Jun R

Another question still related to thread problem: now I can use fn_abort to detect a thread was forcibly aborted due to something wrong. However, it seems not possible to restart the same thread with the same struct thread variable, with the function “k_thread_create”.  When the function is called, the system is stuck. Has anyone tried to restart an aborted thread before?

Thank you!

Regards,

Jun

From: <zephyr-devel-bounces@...> on behalf of "Li, Jun R" <jun.r.li@...>
Date: Monday, December 11, 2017 at 15:37
To: "Boie, Andrew P" <andrew.p.boie@...>, Michael Rosen <michael.r.rosen@...>, "Pallala, Ramakrishna" <ramakrishna.pallala@...>, "zephyr-devel@..." <zephyr-devel@...>

Thank you, Andrew and Mike!

I think the function fn_abort is good enough to meet my requests. Thank you very much!

Regards,

Jun

From: "Boie, Andrew P" <andrew.p.boie@...>
Date: Monday, December 11, 2017 at 15:34
To: Michael Rosen <michael.r.rosen@...>, "Li, Jun R" <jun.r.li@...>, "Pallala, Ramakrishna" <ramakrishna.pallala@...>, "zephyr-devel@..." <zephyr-devel@...>

Ø  I don’t see much other way unfortunately; I think it would be nice is Zephyr added Fault hooks per thread so you could set a function to be called on a thread faulting.

There is a fn_abort member in struct k_thread which if not NULL, gets called when a thread goes through the k_thread_abort() code path, including when it hits a fatal exception. It's a void function that takes no parameters.

There appear to be no public APIs to set a thread abort function, but it should be fairly straightforward to add them.

HTH

Andrew

multithread problem in zephyr application

Li, Jun R

Hi everyone,

I got a strange issue on my multi-threaded application. Sometimes, my application crashes due to the error like below:

  Executing thread ID (thread): 0x20000c4c

  Faulting instruction address:  0x8010c16

  Imprecise data bus error

Fatal fault in ISR! Spinning...

I checked the address 0x8010c16 and found the crashed point is below:

/* must be called with interrupts locked */

static inline void _thread_priority_set(struct k_thread *thread, int prio)

{

    if (_is_thread_ready(thread)) {

        _remove_thread_from_ready_q(thread);

8010c04:   f000 fbe2   bl  80113cc <_remove_thread_from_ready_q>

        thread->base.prio = prio;

8010c08:   72a5        strb    r5, [r4, #10]

        _add_thread_to_ready_q(thread);

8010c0a:   4620        mov r0, r4

            'y' : 'n',

            new_prio, mutex->owner->base.prio);

        _thread_priority_set(mutex->owner, new_prio);

8010c0c:   e8bd 4038   ldmia.w sp!, {r3, r4, r5, lr}

8010c10:   f000 bbb4   b.w 801137c <_add_thread_to_ready_q>

    } else {

        thread->base.prio = prio;

8010c14:   72a5        strb    r5, [r4, #10]

8010c16:   bd38        pop {r3, r4, r5, pc}

I have no idea why the application crashes at this address, is it like a thread racing condition problem or the thread stack overflow happened?

By the way, how can I check which thread crashes with the thread ID “20000c4c”?

Thank you!

Regards,

Jun Li

Re: Zephyr issue tracking system moved to Github

[]

* There are too many networking labels, one "area: Networking" is
enough.
This RFC from Jukka never got a response, but it seems that everyone
implicitly agreed and followed it, for example:

"area: Networking Clients" has 0 labeled issues
"area: Net Protocols" had 2 issues (closed) over all this time

I seem to be able to edit labels, so unless someone responds to
stop me, I'm going to remove labels above, and leave just "area:
Networking" (183 total issues so far).
Makes sense, +1 from me. Also consistent with Bluetooth, which is a
single label.
Thanks for acking. As a follow-up, I went and deleted the "area: Net
Protocols" label.

However, when checking stats above, I looked at only pull request
numbers, but labels are also used by issues. And
"area: Networking Clients" is currently assigned to 26+30 issues, while
there're 126+319 "area: Networking". In other words, there're quite
many "networking" issues (which after all may mean that we need further
separation) and more than 10% of them are tagged as "area: Networking
Clients".

So, I guess I'll leave deciding on this issue to Jukka when he's back
from vacation.

Re: BLE Nitrogen

Zarkhin, Gene <Gene_Zarkhin@...>

nRF52832 UART is connected to NXP front end chip and works correctly through CDC driver.  I can communicate with nRF52 with no problem.

I changed the board file and set correct LED and UART pins.  There is nothing else there to modify 😊

And yes, from BLE point everything is the same.

As other people mentioned radio is not the best, so next step I may try Nitrogen board rev.1.1

Gene Zarkhin

gene_zarkhin@...

(508) 766-9030 – office

(617) 943-2331 – cell