Date

Re: Bluetooth Mesh: Bad values for continuous scan

Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa

Every event has a 1.5ms preparation/idling, hence you are right 1.5ms of 10ms or 15% missed adv reports.

The reason for 10ms was to reduce the radio idling when advertising event would overlap in time with scan window,
in such cases scan will only resume every 10ms.
Imagine if using a scan interval and window of 2 seconds, and it where to be skipped due to a advertising event of mere 3 ms.
I am working on a newer architecture that would increase radio utilisation significantly, but its going to take sometime until I finish porting everything.

That said, there is an advanced Kconfig option CONFIG_BT_CTLR_XTAL_THRESHOLD
you can increase this to above 10 ms so that the 1.5ms idling reduces dynamically down, reducing the miss percentage down.

Also, there is a controller bug, which I will fix soon. If the scan window is more than twice the advertising interval, the controller asserts.

-Vinayak

On 1 Feb 2018, at 18:15, Johan Hedberg <johan.hedberg@...> wrote:

Hi Paul,

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018, Gavrikov Paul wrote:
the default MESH_SCAN_INTERVAL and MESH_SCAN_WINDOW
(/subsys/bluetooth/host/mesh/adv.c) are both set to 0x10, thus
enabling a continuous scan which switches the channel every 10ms.
However as you may know, most radios can't switch channels immediately
and thus cause a delay period in which no advertisement can be
detected. (see e.g.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5375785/).
I did some experiments with a Nordic Semicon nRF52-PCA100400 and saw
that with the default Zephyr values I miss 15% of all advertisements
in an almost inactive radio environment.  Increasing
MESH_SCAN_INTERVAL to 0x100 (i.e. 160ms) results in 1.5%, 0x4000 (the
max)  <0.5% miss rate. (Measurement: Sending 5x 1000 advertisements
with 20ms interval).

Thus I'd propose increasing these values or exposing them to config.

Thanks for analyzing this. I picked 0x10 after consulting with the
Nordic Semiconductor engineers who are behind Zephyr's controller
implementation. I'll let them comment before doing the change.

Re: Error in Doc for CONFIG_BT_MESH_LPN_POLL_TIMEOUT

Johan Hedberg

Hi Paul,

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018, Johan Hedberg wrote:
On Thu, Feb 01, 2018, Gavrikov Paul wrote:
http://docs.zephyrproject.org/reference/kconfig/CONFIG_BT_MESH_LPN_POLL_TIMEOUT.html

"[...] The value is in units of 100 milliseconds, so e.g. a value of
300 means 3 seconds." is wrong. 300 * 100ms = 30 seconds
Thanks for reporting, but please always check with the latest master
branch first - this is actually already fixed there. That said, I just
noticed that the same error is still in the description for the
BT_MESH_LPN_INIT_POLL_TIMEOUT variable (which I presume it mostly a
copy-paste from the BT_MESH_LPN_POLL_TIMEOUT description).
Sorry, I got that the wrong way around. The INIT one was already fixed
but the one you reported was not. Anyway, I've pushed a pull request to
fix this:

Re: Error in Doc for CONFIG_BT_MESH_LPN_POLL_TIMEOUT

Johan Hedberg

Hi Paul,

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018, Gavrikov Paul wrote:
http://docs.zephyrproject.org/reference/kconfig/CONFIG_BT_MESH_LPN_POLL_TIMEOUT.html

"[...] The value is in units of 100 milliseconds, so e.g. a value of
300 means 3 seconds." is wrong. 300 * 100ms = 30 seconds
Thanks for reporting, but please always check with the latest master
branch first - this is actually already fixed there. That said, I just
noticed that the same error is still in the description for the
BT_MESH_LPN_INIT_POLL_TIMEOUT variable (which I presume it mostly a
copy-paste from the BT_MESH_LPN_POLL_TIMEOUT description).

Johan

[...]

Re: undefined reference to `bt_uuid_str'

Gavrikov Paul <Paul.Gavrikov@...>

Hi Johan,

it appears to be working with the latest commits. It was a custom app.

Best
Paul

From: <zephyr-devel-bounces@lists.zephyrproject.org> on behalf of Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...>
Date: Wednesday, 31 January 2018 at 06:04
To: "Puzdrowski, Andrzej" <Andrzej.Puzdrowski@nordicsemi.no>
Cc: "zephyr-users@lists.zephyrproject.org" <zephyr-users@lists.zephyrproject.org>, "zephyr-devel@lists.zephyrproject.org" <zephyr-devel@lists.zephyrproject.org>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] FW: support for NFFS file system

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 8:07 PM, Puzdrowski, Andrzej <Andrzej.Puzdrowski@nordicsemi.no> wrote:

> I request Zephyr OS maintainer to create & add following attached main.c under $zephyr_base/samples/boards/nrf52/nffs/src

& prj.conf under $zephyr_base/samples/boards/nrf52/nffs/ on Github.

Great, so I’m waiting for a PR with this.

Andrzej

Now I can access flash of nRF52840 using NFFS file system APIs.

I request Zephyr OS maintainer to create & add following attached main.c under $zephyr_base/samples/boards/nrf52/nffs/src

& prj.conf under $zephyr_base/samples/boards/nrf52/nffs/ on Github.

Thank You !!

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 1:43 AM, Michael Hope <michaelh@...> wrote:

You can look up the error numbers to see what they mean in:

-19 is ENODEV which suggests you have a flash driver configuration problem.

I put together a little sample at https://github.com/nzmichaelh/zephyr_mini_samples  I tested it on an Arduino Zero, not a NRF5 board, so you will need to update prj.conf but I hope it helps.

-- Michael

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 at 05:37 Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...> wrote:

fs_open( ) returns -19 instead of 0.

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 12:10 AM, Michael Hope <michaelh@...> wrote:

Hi Vikrant.  I'm pretty sure you're reading past the end of the file - you'll need to close and reopen it before you can read back what you just wrote.  Try something like:

fs_open(...)

fs_write(...)

fs_close(...)

fs_open(...)

fs_read(...)

I also recommend checking the return value when you're experimenting.  In this case, you'll find that fs_read() is returning zero, i.e. it read zero bytes which is a good clue as to why there's no data in the buffer.

-- Michael

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 at 13:29 Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...> wrote:

Hi Vinayak, it works !!

I make following changes .....

    fs_file_t my_zfp;
    unsigned char ptr[32];

    for(cntr=0;cntr<=31;cntr++)
    {
        ptr[cntr]='@';
    }

    fs_open(&my_zfp,"mesh.prv");
    fs_write(&my_zfp,"0123456789ABCDEF",16);
    fs_read(&my_zfp,ptr,32);
    fs_close(&my_zfp);

    for(cntr=0;cntr<=31;cntr++)
    {
        printk("%c",ptr[cntr]);
    }

But it prints --> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

instead of --> 0123456789ABCDEF

Any clue ??

Thanks !!

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 5:41 PM, Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa <vinayak.kariappa.chettimada@nordicsemi.no> wrote:

Its:

fs_file_t my_zfp; // no * please;

and

fs_open(&my_zfp,"mesh.prv"); // & please J

That said, I am not expert on FS!

-Vinayak

From: <zephyr-devel-bounces@...> on behalf of Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...>
Date: Wednesday, 31 January 2018 at 06:04
To: "Puzdrowski, Andrzej" <Andrzej.Puzdrowski@...>
Cc: "zephyr-users@..." <zephyr-users@...>, "zephyr-devel@..." <zephyr-devel@...>

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 8:07 PM, Puzdrowski, Andrzej <Andrzej.Puzdrowski@...> wrote:

> I request Zephyr OS maintainer to create & add following attached main.c under $zephyr_base/samples/boards/nrf52/nffs/src

& prj.conf under $zephyr_base/samples/boards/nrf52/nffs/ on Github.

Great, so I’m waiting for a PR with this.

Andrzej

I copied & pasted $zephyr/ext/fs/nffs directory into $zephyr_base/include

& edit $zephyr_base/include/fs/nffs_fs.h as follow

/*
 * Copyright (c) 2017 Codecoup
 *
 * SPDX-License-Identifier: Apache-2.0
 */

[...]

            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
[...]

        };

On Jan 18, 2018 3:38 PM, "Puzdrowski, Andrzej" <Andrzej.Puzdrowski@...> wrote:

NFFS Is supported since 1.10 release:

https://www.zephyrproject.org/releases/1-10-release-december-2017/

Andrzej

My question is related to this link's requirement,
https://lists.zephyrproject.org/pipermail/zephyr-devel/2017-July/007888.html

Is Zephyr going to add support for NFFS file system in upcoming 1.11 (March 20148) release ?

What is current status of NFFS file system development ?

Could anybody explain me from Zephyr Core developer team ?

Thank You !!

Re: USB: Question about usb_write() API

Andrei

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 08:09:12AM +0530, Sundar Subramaniyan wrote:
Hi Paul,
On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 9:55 PM, Paul Sokolovsky
<[1]paul.sokolovsky@linaro.org> wrote:

A good clarification thus would be:

1. bytes_ret is always not-NULL.
2. There can always be short writes, number of bytes written is
returned in *bytes_ret, caller must retry with remaining data as
needed.

Note that this doesn't call for updates to existing drivers - they can
keep accepting bytes_ret as NULL, and loop/block inside. But clients
of this API definitely need to be updated, because otherwise they
simply won't work with some drivers.

I think the same too. For now, new drivers should handle both the methods
to be coherent with the API definition. If ret_bytes is NULL, then it
shall to
a blocked write taking care of fragmentation of the packet internally
within
the driver. Otherwise if it is != NULL, it can let the upper layer do the
fragmentation
and shall *not* block-wait for the completion of the current write on the
USB bus,
since we have write callback for notification purpose.
I think we do not have now this requirement not to block-wait. When
working with sending fragmented packets you would prefer to block until all
fragments are sent.

Best regards
Andrei Emeltchenko

Re: FW: support for NFFS file system

Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...>

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 8:07 PM, Puzdrowski, Andrzej <Andrzej.Puzdrowski@...> wrote:

> I request Zephyr OS maintainer to create & add following attached main.c under $zephyr_base/samples/boards/nrf52/nffs/src

& prj.conf under $zephyr_base/samples/boards/nrf52/nffs/ on Github.

Great, so I’m waiting for a PR with this.

Andrzej

My question is related to this link's requirement,
https://lists.zephyrproject.org/pipermail/zephyr-devel/2017-July/007888.html

Is Zephyr going to add support for NFFS file system in upcoming 1.11 (March 20148) release ?

What is current status of NFFS file system development ?

Could anybody explain me from Zephyr Core developer team ?

Thank You !!

Re: USB: Question about usb_write() API

Sundar Subramaniyan

Hi Johann,

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 9:12 PM, Johann Fischer <johann_fischer@...> wrote:
Please use subsys/usb/class for testing and as reference.

The IN endpoint callback just informs that a endpoint buffer was transmitted to
the host.

I used the DW driver as a reference,
see https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/542
The Kinetis USB controller is a bit similar to NRF52, btw I would be glad
about review.

Thanks, will take a look at it.

There is an effort to implement the transfer method. This is very convenient
from the function point of view, but may complicate the drivers.
Please review https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/5231

Thanks, will look into this. I need to understand the transfer method. So after it's
been pulled, does the driver need to support it by default? Since there's no driver
registration using f_ops to the USB subsystem, there would be linking issues, no?

Regards,
Johann Fischer

Thanks,
Sundar

Re: USB: Question about usb_write() API

Sundar Subramaniyan

Hi Andrei,

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 9:01 PM, andrei.emeltchenko@... <andrei.emeltchenko.news@...> wrote:
I think API states it supports both methods:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/master/include/usb/usb_device.h#L209

Yes, it does support both of them. So new drivers should support both of them to be inline with the API definition?
As Paul pointed out, some old drivers might need to be modified since some applications assume the drivers' fragmentation support.

Fragmentation to USB packets is done on a higher level, in function_ecm
and finction_rndis files.

Thanks for pointing this. I'll look how this is being used.

Please also look to usb_dc_ep_transfer() implemented for DW and STM32:

Will look into it. Thanks.

Best regards
Andrei Emeltchenko

Thanks,
Sundar

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 9:55 PM, Paul Sokolovsky <paul.sokolovsky@...> wrote:

[...]

Is this a fair understanding?

Thanks,
Sundar

Re: USB: Question about usb_write() API

Paul Sokolovsky

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 14:36:40 +0000
"Cufi, Carles" <Carles.Cufi@nordicsemi.no> wrote:

[]

I'd suggest to look at this as a generic problem, not specific to
USB subsystem (e.g., there's the same issue in networking
subsystem, etc.), and consider the known best practices dealing
with it. For example, POSIX, when dealing with streams-of-bytes,
[]

Although you raise a good point, I'm not convinced that this applies
here. I think that what Sundar wants to know is whether this
particular API call, usb_write(), was originally designed to be able
to buffer data and fragment it into smaller USB-sized packets or
instead it should mirror the state of whatever hardware FIFO it is
using below, returning a number of bytes written different from the
ones the caller asked to send. Beyond that there's the issue of the
API call being blocking or not, which seems unclear given the
different ways it is used in Zephyr. To sum up, I thin he's trying to
clarify the original intentions of the API designer in order to adapt
the driver he's working on to it, not looking to modify the API
itself.
But clarification of the API is also what I'm talking about. Other
points are also collinear, for example, POSIX supports concept of short
reads/writes exactly to let drivers avoid blocking (or avoid extensive
resource usage in general).

usb_write() is described as:

* @brief write data to the specified endpoint
*
* Function to write data to the specified endpoint. The supplied
* usb_ep_callback will be called when transmission is done.
*
* @param[in] ep Endpoint address corresponding to the one listed in the
* device configuration table
* @param[in] data Pointer to data to write
* @param[in] data_len Length of data requested to write. This may be zero for
* a zero length status packet.
* @param[out] bytes_ret Bytes written to the EP FIFO. This value may be NULL if
* the application expects all bytes to be written

That's not explicit enough. The best reading I can get of it is that it
supports *both* of the scenarios above: a) if bytes_ret is non-NULL, it
may perform short write; b) if it's non-NULL, short write is not
allowed. But in all fairness, there's a bit of "reading between the
lines" in that. And such specification puts additional burden on a
driver: it must support both not-looping/not-blocking and
looping-blocking operation. Besides problems with testing these both
modes, we'd find that some drivers simply omit implementation of one or
another case (I see that in Zephyr all the time).

A good clarification thus would be:

1. bytes_ret is always not-NULL.
2. There can always be short writes, number of bytes written is
returned in *bytes_ret, caller must retry with remaining data as needed.

Note that this doesn't call for updates to existing drivers - they can
keep accepting bytes_ret as NULL, and loop/block inside. But clients
of this API definitely need to be updated, because otherwise they
simply won't work with some drivers.

Re: USB: Question about usb_write() API

Johann Fischer

Hi,

Here's what bt_usb does:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/master/samples/bluetooth/hci_usb/src/main.c#L665

When I looked at other drivers to see how they are implemented, the
designware USB driver seems to assume
the application/class drivers always support the "write in parts" method.
I'm not blaming the driver or it's
implementation but I just wanted to point out that there are drivers which
do not support handling chunked
write within them.
This sample was written for the DW driver, there was no other device driver
recently.

Another class driver, netusb does it a little differently by writing in
parts, but this too assumes the usb_write()
to be synchronous.

Here's what it does:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/master/subsys/usb/class/netusb/netusb.c#L189
Please use subsys/usb/class for testing and as reference.

One more thing to consider is the write callbacks. In most cases, the
application/class driver is the one that registers
the Bulk/Interrupt endpoint callbacks and the device stack has no way of
knowing when to perform the next write, even
if it wants to handle this in the USB device stack.
The IN endpoint callback just informs that a endpoint buffer was transmitted to
the host.

My question now is, what is the ideal place to take care of truncation and
chunk handling as per the USB device stack design?
Why the driver needs to handle the multi-part write and synchronization?
I used the DW driver as a reference,
see https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/542
The Kinetis USB controller is a bit similar to NRF52, btw I would be glad
about review.

There is an effort to implement the transfer method. This is very convenient
from the function point of view, but may complicate the drivers.
Please review https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/5231

Regards,
Johann Fischer

Re: USB: Question about usb_write() API

Andrei

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 02:31:46PM +0000, Cufi, Carles wrote:
+ Andrei

Carles