Date

Re: Eddystone on nrf51 / nrf52

Marcus Shawcroft <marcus.shawcroft@...>

On 11 March 2017 at 08:17, Johan Hedberg <johan.hedberg@intel.com> wrote:

I used the latest bluetooth branch which was rebased against master just
a few hours ago. There's only a one commit difference between the two
branches which is not related (it's for an IPSP static analyzer warning)
so master should behave the same. I didn't do any changes to the
eddystone sample but just built it with its default configuration.

Ok, I have it running now, I swapped microbits. It appears I have 3
microbits on which it works and 1 microbit on which it doesn't work.

Thank you both for your help.

Cheers
/Marcus

Re: Eddystone on nrf51 / nrf52

Vinayak Kariappa <vinayak.kariappa@...>

Can you check if the gcc library being linked is from arm6v-m? This is when if you use CROSS_COMPILE.

On 11 Mar 2017, at 08:48, Marcus Shawcroft <marcus.shawcroft@...> wrote:

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 at 06:40, Johan Hedberg <johan.hedberg@...> wrote:
Hi Marcus,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017, Marcus Shawcroft wrote:
> I've just tried samples/bluetooth/eddystone on nrf51 (bbc_microbit)
> and so far as I can tell it doesn't boot as far as main().
>
> Same experiment on nrf52 (pca10040) runs just fine.
>
> Is edddystone expected run on nrf51, has anyone ever tried it?

It is expected to run. I've been mainly using nRF51 USB dongles, but I
just tried the eddystone sample on my micro:bit and it's working fine.
How do you flash yours? I remember I had some strange issues with the
original debug IC firmware, and switching to a JLink one made it better.

Interesting.  I can still build various other samples and flash them to the microbit and they run just fine. I used a microbit fairly extensively a while back when putting together drivers for its I2C, magnetometer, accelerometer, TRNG etc and recall on one or two occasions getting it in a state where it would not flash using the vanilla daplink firmware. Iirc that cleared by power cycling both host and microbit. I also recall that switching to newlib instead of minimal Libc with BT enabled on the microbit results in a similar failure to reach main().

Johan would you mind sending me your microbit Eddystone configure file and the git hash of the dev tree that you just tested as working?

Cheers
/Marcus

Re: Eddystone on nrf51 / nrf52

Johan Hedberg

Hi Marcus,

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017, Marcus Shawcroft wrote:
[...]

Johan

Re: Eddystone on nrf51 / nrf52

Marcus Shawcroft <marcus.shawcroft@...>

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 at 06:40, Johan Hedberg <johan.hedberg@...> wrote:
Hi Marcus,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017, Marcus Shawcroft wrote:
> I've just tried samples/bluetooth/eddystone on nrf51 (bbc_microbit)
> and so far as I can tell it doesn't boot as far as main().
>
> Same experiment on nrf52 (pca10040) runs just fine.
>
> Is edddystone expected run on nrf51, has anyone ever tried it?

It is expected to run. I've been mainly using nRF51 USB dongles, but I
just tried the eddystone sample on my micro:bit and it's working fine.
How do you flash yours? I remember I had some strange issues with the
original debug IC firmware, and switching to a JLink one made it better.

Interesting.  I can still build various other samples and flash them to the microbit and they run just fine. I used a microbit fairly extensively a while back when putting together drivers for its I2C, magnetometer, accelerometer, TRNG etc and recall on one or two occasions getting it in a state where it would not flash using the vanilla daplink firmware. Iirc that cleared by power cycling both host and microbit. I also recall that switching to newlib instead of minimal Libc with BT enabled on the microbit results in a similar failure to reach main().

Johan would you mind sending me your microbit Eddystone configure file and the git hash of the dev tree that you just tested as working?

Cheers
/Marcus

Re: Eddystone on nrf51 / nrf52

Johan Hedberg

Hi Marcus,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017, Marcus Shawcroft wrote:
I've just tried samples/bluetooth/eddystone on nrf51 (bbc_microbit)
and so far as I can tell it doesn't boot as far as main().

Same experiment on nrf52 (pca10040) runs just fine.

Is edddystone expected run on nrf51, has anyone ever tried it?
It is expected to run. I've been mainly using nRF51 USB dongles, but I
just tried the eddystone sample on my micro:bit and it's working fine.
How do you flash yours? I remember I had some strange issues with the
original debug IC firmware, and switching to a JLink one made it better.
You can download a new debug IC firmware here (look for "micro:bit"):

https://www.segger.com/downloads/jlink

You flash it by plugging in the board while keeping the reset button
pressed. It'll show up as a "MAINTENANCE" drive rather than "MICROBIT".

Johan

[RFC] MPU support for debugging

Boie, Andrew P

This is not a fully-fleshed out specification, but since there is a lot of interest in memory protection in Zephyr on multiple fronts I thought this would be a good way to get the conversation going on how we can use an MPU in Zephyr and what implications it has for the OS design. Hoping to get a consensus on the scope and capabilities of this before diving too deep into implementation details.

TL;DR SUMMARY

Memory protection could be used to greatly assist in kernel debugging. At this time I think it should be positioned as an optional debug feature and not a security feature. We want to target common MPU features found on MCUs. Systems without MPU hardware, but have an MMU, can use MMU with identity page tables instead. We want to be able to create "user" threads with reduced privileges on what memory they can write to, so that if they overflow their stack, branch to non-code, or write to memory that doesn't belong to them, the system will trigger a fatal error instead of silently wreaking havoc. We want to implement this in a way that is not invasive to the current Zephyr driver/OS APIs.

PROBLEM STATEMENTS

As I'm sure we all know, debugging multi-threaded applications is a complex task, made much more complex if threads can silently corrupt each other or the OS. Thread stack overflows are also very difficult to debug, with the usual symptom being strange, unpredictable behavior until the system eventually crashes.

We'd like to introduce support for memory protection units in Zephyr to help with these debug issues. To me the following characteristics would be desirable:

- Introduce the notion of User/Supervisor threads. User threads would only have write access to their own stack, plus some additional memory regions parameterized at runtime.
- Illegal memory access by a user thread, stack overflow, or branching the PC to memory that is not code should result in a fatal system error, using SysFatalErrorHandler.
- Kernel and driver APIs should be the same regardless of whether memory protection is used. For example, during debugging the end user may enable memory protection to catch issues, but for the final production build it would be switched off for performance reasons.
- For at least the initial implementation of this feature we should try to do it changing any existing public kernel or driver APIs as little as possible, although we will need to introduce some new ones.

MPU LIMITATIONS

It's important to keep in mind the capabilities of a typical MPU unit. In all the implementations I have seen, the memory regions need to be aligned to a multiple of their size, and the size must be a power of two. (ARM lets you further subdivide any given region into 8 sub-regions which can be selectively enabled). Regions may overlap, but there can only be a fixed number of regions active at any given time, with 8 or 16 being common.

Some arches like x86 don't have MPU hardware, but if an MMU is present it can be configured to act like an MPU using an identity page table.

THIS IS NOT A SECURITY FEATURE

If you look at all the kernel APIs in kernel.h, they all take pointers to various data structures owned by the caller. Let's take a Zephyr timer as an example. If you want to use a timer you need to declare a struct k_timer and then make kernel API calls passing its pointer value, which will involve a privilege elevation for the system to do its work. Some of the members of the k_timer struct are really private to the kernel and we could cause all kinds of havoc if garbage data is passed in, or the k_timer struct is corrupted in some way, or someone was trying to do something malicious.

We have a similar problem with drivers, where pointers to struct device are passed around and dereferenced in order to get at their API calls. At a fundamental level, Zephyr in its current state is designed to be application+kernel all rolled into one address space.

I do not see any good way around this problem unless we completely redesign all kernel and driver APIs:
- Data structures private to the kernel for kernel objects would need to be completely inaccessible to user threads.
- User threads wanting to work with some kernel object would not allocate memory for it and pass in a pointer. We'd need an API where the user thread requests an object (like a timer), the kernel allocates space for it somehow, and returns to the user thread a descriptor or handle to use when performing API calls.
- For situations where we only want to use memory protection for debugging, this layer of abstraction in all the APIs to use descriptors instead of pointers would impose a lot of unnecessary overhead for situations where MPU is disabled or not available.

Ideas are very welcome here, but my feeling is that "preventing threads from crashing the OS in all cases" or "prevent threads from doing malicious things" is probably not completely feasible in Zephyr unless we transform it into a remarkably different OS than it is now. Given the limitations of a typical MPU I suspect this would probably require an MMU to do it right. I feel there are a lot of things we can do to help with debugging if we assume good intent and are not trying to protect against malicious behavior, or garbage being passed to kernel APIs.

In this proposal, threads can switch between supervisor and user privileges at will. This greatly simplifies the implementation:

- No need for system calls for privilege elevation. Through macro magic, if memory protection is turned on we can wrap kernel/driver APIs with some code that elevates privileges before calling into the kernel, check that any supplied pointer values are actually owned by the calling thread, and drop privileges when returning to the caller.
- Many drivers and subsystems allow for the registration of callbacks upon events. Some of these run in ISR context and should be left as-is. However for example in the network stack you can supply callbacks invoked by supervisor network stack worker threads to perform protocol parsing on the application side, and it would be great if these callbacks could run in a reduced set of privileges. The worker threads in the subsystem that make the callbacks could lower their privileges (granting access to buffer memory regions if necessary) when making the callback, restoring them when it returns.

THREAD PERMISSIONS

By default all threads start their life in supervisor mode. I think what Vincenzo recently uploaded is a good policy for supervisor threads: https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/#/q/topic:zephyr_mpu.

Threads may drop down to user mode with an API call. This would grant the thread write access to only its stack memory, plus additional memory regions parameterized at runtime. Threads may go back to supervisor mode with another API call, there's no restrictions on moving back and forth between these states.

Even though we allow threads to move between user and supervisor mode at will, we are trying to catch mistakes. So some kernel/driver APIs that are intended to be called from user mode will have an implicit privilege elevation, but others which are intended to be supervisor-only will not.

For globals (data/bss) I think we should separate the data used by the OS (libzephyr.a) and globals declared by the application, put them in different memory regions. We should make it easy to grant any given thread write access to globals defined within the application. I'm thinking of a programming model similar to pthreads: each pthread's stack is private, and you can't touch OS data structures, but all the pthreads can access/modify globals within the process they run in. In Zephyr we more or less have many threads running in exactly one process.

Additionally, application globals that are never intended to be touched by user threads could be tagged with a __supervisor variable attribute which will roll them in with the other OS globals.

ZEPHYR IMPLICATIONS

Rough to-do list to make this happen:
- Fully specify the relevant API calls for this feature
- Move the struct k_thread out of the thread stack where it currently lives. We don't want the thread clobbering this if too much stack is used, which is currently what happens since it's at the lowest memory addresses of the stack. May need to reserve some additional memory on the kernel side for this data to live in.
- Some APIs which assume use of the system heap for all allocations may need to be extended for user-supplied memory pools
- Separate out kernel globals (bss/data) from application globals. A typical user thread may need to have access to application globals, but should never need to write to kernel data structures in a non-supervisor state. Application globals tagged with __supervisor would be put with the OS data structures.
- Implement magic for implicit privilege elevation in kernel/driver APIs when calling them from user mode
- Define a memory protection API specification between the core kernel and arch/ code which actually talks to the MPU (or MMU)
- Possible adjustments to how the network stack does callbacks
- Test cases to prove that this all works

Eddystone on nrf51 / nrf52

Marcus Shawcroft <marcus.shawcroft@...>

Hi,

I've just tried samples/bluetooth/eddystone on nrf51 (bbc_microbit)
and so far as I can tell it doesn't boot as far as main().

Same experiment on nrf52 (pca10040) runs just fine.

Is edddystone expected run on nrf51, has anyone ever tried it?

Cheers
/Marcus

Upgrade of RTC api.

Michał Kruszewski <mkru@...>

I wanted to implement rtc driver for nrf chips and I think that rtc.h api is too loosely defined.
Chips from IC vendors are very  different in terms of RTC peripheral, for example:
a) different number of RTC instances
b) different number of compare/alarm registers
c) some can generate additional events like TICK for tick-less RTOS
d) some have registers for current time and format of that time can also differ
e) different size of COUNTER register (that's actually not a big issue cause you can   always implement 32 bit counter in software).

I would like to implement more advanced rtc api and I would like you to help me define how it should look like. For example:
1. How many alarms can be set on single RTC, should it be configured via Kconfig (even with single alarm register it is possible to implement it in software) or the number of alarms should equal to number of available compare registers?
2. Should we keep track of current time inside rtc driver or should there be some higher module that would only use rtc driver, if yes then what format of time should we use, should it be configurable?
3. Should we implement different modes for alarms (single shot, periodic) or maybe alarm channels should be allocated and then freed when not needed?
4. What about some extra events like TICK, OVERFLOW?
5. Should there be only one callback function? rtc_api_set_alarm could then return descriptor to alarm and inside callback function we could check what exact alarm was triggered. Or maybe we should pass pointer to callback function  as an argument to rtc_api_set_alarm function?

I want to implement that api and some drivers but I need more details from people who have impact on how the project looks like, people who can make decisions.

Michał Kruszewski

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: Reg: Command handling Via USB driver

Andrei

Hi Mahendra,

On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 04:54:23AM +0000, Mahendravarman Rajarao (RBEI/EAA10) wrote:
Hi

We are using Quark_C1000 controller in our project along with zephyr 1.6.
I could see zephyr 1.6 has support for USB.

I have a query.

We are currently having a requirement of send some commands via USB (from
a PC)  and based on the commands received (in the device ) we will execute
certain applications.

For this requirement I need clarifications regarding the USB driver.

I could see that the USB DFU handles command which is sent from a PC.

Do I need to expand this driver itself for my requirement or Should I use
the USB UART driver for my requirement ?
It is easier to use cdc_acm sample in samples/usb/cdc_acm, then your PC
already has the driver for it and it appears on your PC as ttyACM or
ttyUSB, then you can communicate over serial.

If you want to implement certain USB class like Bluetooth in hci_usb
sample you should look here: samples/bluetooth/hci_usb/

For other samples you need AFAIK to have certain driver, like btusb for
hci_usb, etc.

Best regards
Andrei Emeltchenko

Reg: Command handling Via USB driver

Mahendravarman Rajarao (RBEI/EAA10) <Mahendravarman.Rajarao@...>

Hi

We are using Quark_C1000 controller in our project along with zephyr 1.6.

I could see zephyr 1.6 has support for USB.

I have a query.

We are currently having a requirement of send some commands via USB (from a PC)  and based on the commands received (in the device ) we will execute certain applications.

For this requirement I need clarifications regarding the USB driver.

I could see that the USB DFU handles command which is sent from a PC.

Do I need to expand this driver itself for my requirement or Should I use the USB UART driver for my requirement ?

Thanks

Mahendra

Re: Checking if code is compiled for Zephyr

Paul Sokolovsky

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 17:01:04 +0100
Paul Sokolovsky <Paul.Sokolovsky@linaro.org> wrote:

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 14:38:16 +0000
Marcus Shawcroft <marcus.shawcroft@gmail.com> wrote:

On 7 March 2017 at 14:35, Paul Sokolovsky
<paul.sokolovsky@linaro.org> wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to #ifdef a part of cross-platform code for Zephyr,
and I didn't find a clear, self-describing way to do so. Am I
missing something? Can we have something like __ZEPHYR__, _ZEPHYR
of whatever preprocessor macro to check for?
The toplevel Makefile hardwires:

-D__ZEPHYR__=1
Cool, thanks for replies! I grepped include/* for anything like that,
I checked predefined macros in gcc. Who'd new I should grep Makefiles
too ;-).
Well, too early. I do build against Zephyr, I use its configuration and
includes, but my 3rd party project doesn't use Zephyr *Makefiles*.
So, __ZEPHYR__ isn't available.

I'll prepare a patch.

Re: Checking if code is compiled for Zephyr

Paul Sokolovsky

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 14:38:16 +0000
Marcus Shawcroft <marcus.shawcroft@gmail.com> wrote:

On 7 March 2017 at 14:35, Paul Sokolovsky
<paul.sokolovsky@linaro.org> wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to #ifdef a part of cross-platform code for Zephyr, and I
didn't find a clear, self-describing way to do so. Am I missing
something? Can we have something like __ZEPHYR__, _ZEPHYR of
whatever preprocessor macro to check for?
The toplevel Makefile hardwires:

-D__ZEPHYR__=1
Cool, thanks for replies! I grepped include/* for anything like that, I
checked predefined macros in gcc. Who'd new I should grep Makefiles
too ;-).

I don't know if that symbol is documented somewhere, but it would be
nice if it was.
+1. doc/* doesn't mention it, I'll see where it fits and drop a patch
on occasion.

Re: Checking if code is compiled for Zephyr

flaviosantes@...

Hello,

__ZEPHYR__ ?

https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/#/c/7470/2

Regards,
Flavio

On Tue, 3/7/17, Marcus Shawcroft <marcus.shawcroft@gmail.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Checking if code is compiled for Zephyr
To: "Paul Sokolovsky" <paul.sokolovsky@linaro.org>
Cc: "devel@lists.zephyrproject.org" <devel@lists.zephyrproject.org>
Date: Tuesday, March 7, 2017, 8:38 AM

On 7 March 2017 at 14:35,
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to #ifdef a part of
cross-platform code for Zephyr, and I

didn't find a clear, self-describing way to do so. Am I
missing
> something? Can we have
something like __ZEPHYR__, _ZEPHYR of whatever
> preprocessor macro to check for?

The toplevel Makefile
hardwires:

-D__ZEPHYR__=1

I don't know if that symbol is documented
somewhere, but it would be
nice if it
was.

Cheers

[...]