Date

Re: [Bluetooth mesh]CONFIG_BT_PERIPHERAL, what does it mean?

Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa

Hi Ken,

As the faulting instruction address is in RAM, I suspect an overflow of some thread call stack. The PB-GATT may not have been tested on micro:bit due to restricted amount of RAM.

But, please review the Kconfig option for the controller (me being the maintainer of controller) in menuconfig and disable any options that will not be needed for your usecase, like disabling 4.1 and above features and reducing any buffer counts.

That said, please increase these:

CONFIG_MAIN_STACK_SIZE

CONFIG_BT_RX_STACK_SIZE

… provided you can find some free RAM space!

Regards,

Vinayak

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 15:27:23 +0000
From: "Cufi, Carles" <Carles.Cufi@nordicsemi.no>
To: Laczen JMS <laczenjms@gmail.com>,
"zephyr-devel@lists.zephyrproject.org"
<zephyr-devel@lists.zephyrproject.org>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Firmware over the air (FOTA) and FCB
support in 1.11.0

Hi Jehudi,

Thanks for all the info, maybe you could post this in the NVS PR.

Additionally, you compared Config+FCB with NVS accessed directly. Since the first item we need to decide on is actually whether we "augment" FCB with some of the NVS code or we add NVS as a separate subsystem, a very interesting comparison would be to have a real-life RAM and Flash usage comparison of FCB and NVS both being accessed directly, if possible for BLE Mesh data since that is the main target of NVS right now. How much worse off would we be if we used FCB as it stands today instead of NVS?

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 14:02:39 -0700
From: Michael Scott <michael@opensourcefoundries.com>
To: Vikrant More <vikrant8051@gmail.com>
Cc: zephyr-users@lists.zephyrproject.org,
zephyr-devel@lists.zephyrproject.org,
"ashish.shukla@corvi.com"
<ashish.shukla@corvi.com>
support in 1.11.0

On 03/21/2018 10:09 AM, Vikrant More wrote:
Hi,
Regarding FCB: the initial implementation is done in v1.11, but
the APIs are fairly complex and IMHO it's meant to be used as a
base layer for other higher level implementations to manage
persistent data such as device configuration, system logs and other
uses.
There are several pull requests in-progress which aim to add these
higher level services.? (The first PR will probably be re-written to
use FCB as it's base layer):
<https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/6391>
<https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/6408>

Are these PRs, suitable to save #BluetoothMesh's Sequence Numbers on
flash which updates frequently ?
IIRC, the idea is to settle on 1 solution which would be appropriate
for most use-cases (including Mesh Sequence Numbers).?? You might want
to have 2 separate storage locations if you have data that only
updates occasionally *and* data that updates frequently.

The guys from Nordic (and possibly Johan) are looking at this issue as
well.

- Mike

Thanks,

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 9:59 PM, Michael Scott
<michael@opensourcefoundries.com
<mailto:michael@opensourcefoundries.com>> wrote:

On 03/20/2018 09:14 PM, ashish.shukla@corvi.com
<mailto:ashish.shukla@corvi.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I've been waiting for FOTA and FCB support in zephyr and now
when
it is supported, I cannot see any samples available or proper
documentation to use these features in my project.
Hi Ashish,

Your question is a bit open-ended, and might be difficult to
answer without some details regarding your paricular use-case
(BLE
update, IP-based update, Mesh, etc)

For instance, the LwM2M subsystem provides a mechanism for
receiving a firmware update in the LwM2M client, but the
implementation of where to store the incoming binary data is up
you.? See
https://github.com/zephyrproject-
rtos/zephyr/blob/master/samples/net/lwm2m_client/src/lwm2m-client.c#L208
<https://github.com/zephyrproject-
rtos/zephyr/blob/master/samples/net/lwm2m_client/src/lwm2m-
client.c#L208>
for a callback example that is triggered on each incoming block
of
data.? Documentation for the sample itself doesn't discuss the
firmware update mechanism, but it's here for reference:
http://docs.zephyrproject.org/samples/net/lwm2m_client/README.html

<http://docs.zephyrproject.org/samples/net/lwm2m_client/README.html>

Then, there is a robust DFU (Device Firmware Update) subsystem to
help implement the image writing portion of a firmware update as
well as integrate with mcuboot (an MCU bootloader) which would
check an image for validity and then move it into the bootable
application slot. ? See:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-
rtos/zephyr/tree/master/subsys/dfu
<https://github.com/zephyrproject-
rtos/zephyr/tree/master/subsys/dfu>
for sources.

Regarding FCB: the initial implementation is done in v1.11, but
the APIs are fairly complex and IMHO it's meant to be used as a
base layer for other higher level implementations to manage
persistent data such as device configuration, system logs and
other uses.? There are several pull requests in-progress which
aim
to add these higher level services.? (The first PR will probably
be re-written to use FCB as it's base layer):
<https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/6391>
<https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/6408>

Hopefully that helps get you started,

- Mike

Any help regarding the same would be of great help.

--
Warm regards,
Ashish Shukla

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail or
its attachments.

Disclaimer: The information contained herein (including any
accompanying documents) is confidential and is intended solely
for the addressee(s). If you have erroneously received this
message, please immediately delete it and notify the sender.
Also, if you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking
any
action in reliance on the contents of this message or any
accompanying document is strictly prohibited and is unlawful.
The
organization is not responsible for any damage caused by a virus
or alteration of the e-mail by a third party or otherwise. The
contents of this message may not necessarily represent the views
or policies of Corvi

Re: [Bluetooth mesh]CONFIG_BT_PERIPHERAL, what does it mean?

Johan Hedberg

Hi Kai,

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018, Kai Ren wrote:
Meanwhile, I also found that there is a configuration flag,
CONFIG_BT_PERIPHERAL, it consumes about 2KB RAM when I enable it, so
I’m just curious that what function does this flag provide? And is it
necessary for PB-GATT on micro:bit?
I forgot to answer your question regarding CONFIG_BT_PERIPHERAL: it
enables support for the Peripheral GAP role, which is definitely
something you need to have a GATT server for PB-GATT and GATT Proxy.

Johan

[...]

Carles Cufi

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 14:02:39 -0700
From: Michael Scott <michael@opensourcefoundries.com>
To: Vikrant More <vikrant8051@gmail.com>
Cc: zephyr-users@lists.zephyrproject.org,
[...]

Kai Ren

Hello,

I’m try to run ./sample/Bluetooth/mesh/ on micro:bit, I found that current source code for micro:bit just support PB-ADV, don’t support PB-GATT. So, I want to add PB-GATT on it, but I found that it’s really hard to pass the build process because it runs out of RAM if I modified prj_bbc_microbit.conf.

Meanwhile, I also found that there is a configuration flag, CONFIG_BT_PERIPHERAL, it consumes about 2KB RAM when I enable it, so I’m just curious that what function does this flag provide? And is it necessary for PB-GATT on micro:bit?

Thanks!

Kai Ren

Developer Relation Manager, APAC  |  Bluetooth Special Interest Group, Inc.

o: +86 13564372135    |  www.bluetooth.com

微博:weibo.com/bluetoothsig  微信:kaiser-tech

CONFIDENTIAL: This email message and any information attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally privileged. Any unauthorized disclosure, use, copying, or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the Author and destroy the original transmission without reading or saving. Thank you.

Re: Firmware over the air (FOTA) and FCB support in 1.11.0

Johan Hedberg

Hi Jehudi,

That's some good analysis you've done. Note that this is for "frequent
sender" mesh nodes. For "requent receiver" nodes it's the Replay
Protection List (RPL) that will need to be updated frequently. What's
worse for the RPL is that you can't make similar jumps of 8192 messages,
rather you have to update the RPL for every message that the node
processes (note that relaying does not count as "processing" in this
sense).

The implications of failing to keep an updated Seq vs failing to keep an
updated RPL are similar, but not quite the same: in the case of the Seq,
you end up in a situation where other nodes ignore packets from you,
since they think someone is doing a replay attack with old seq values.
In the case of not updating the RPL it's the local node that gets
exposed to potential replay attacks.

Johan

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 14:02:39 -0700
From: Michael Scott <michael@opensourcefoundries.com>
To: Vikrant More <vikrant8051@gmail.com>
Cc: zephyr-users@lists.zephyrproject.org,
zephyr-devel@lists.zephyrproject.org, "ashish.shukla@corvi.com"
[...]

implementation of where to store the incoming binary data is up to
you.? See
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/master/samples/net/lwm2m_client/src/lwm2m-client.c#L208

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/tree/master/subsys/dfu

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 14:02:39 -0700
From: Michael Scott <michael@opensourcefoundries.com>
To: Vikrant More <vikrant8051@gmail.com>
Cc: zephyr-users@lists.zephyrproject.org,
[...]

Re: BBC:microbit like pairing implementation on nRF52840-PDK

Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...>

Hi,
Suppose there is Admin Characteristic (which requires OOB pairing since I've enable BT_GATT_PERM_WRITE_AUTHEN | BT_GATT_PERM_WRITE_ENCRYPT | BT_GATT_PERM_READ_AUTHEN | BT_GATT_PERM_READ_ENCRYPT)
Can I send AES Key(common for all devices) after OOB pairing to Admin characteristic?

If Yes, then Device can save it on flash & future communication with all other characteristics
( where I've not enable BT_GATT_PERM_WRITE_AUTHEN | BT_GATT_PERM_WRITE_ENCRYPT | BT_GATT_PERM_READ_AUTHEN | BT_GATT_PERM_READ_ENCRYPT)
will be encrypted using it. That's it !!

Thanks,

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 2:48 PM, Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...> wrote:
In this video, user directly enter PIN from BBC:microbit for pairing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L54Sp2DZibA
In this video, user add pattern first & then enter PIN to pair.

What is pros & cons in these two styles of pairing ?

In both cases. user transform microbit into pairing mode.

What is significance behind it ? Is it help to device enter into factory reset mode ?

As per current Zephyr implementation, we can do pairing without goes into pairing mode.

By using combination of,

 1. BT_GATT_PERM_WRITE_AUTHEN
 2. BT_GATT_PERM_WRITE_ENCRYPT
 3. BT_GATT_PERM_READ_AUTHEN
 4. BT_GATT_PERM_READ_ENCRYPT

we could block Guest users to access certain characteristics & allow only Admin to access them
(who has paired with the Device)

If I do OOB pairing using Device Serial Terminal, it works as expected but after Device reboot I have to do it again to access admin characteristic.

There should be some variable which I have to store on device flash after Pairing & have to reinitialize them on every reboot.
But there is no any demo examples or documentations which shows what to save on flash.
I think this is what I want but this much is not sufficient for noob like me to implementation it with actual products.

Thank You !!

[...]

Michael Scott

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 9:59 PM, Michael Scott <michael@...> wrote:

On 03/20/2018 09:14 PM, ashish.shukla@... wrote:
Hi all,

I've been waiting for FOTA and FCB support in zephyr and now when it is supported, I cannot see any samples available or proper documentation to use these features in my project.

Hi Ashish,

Your question is a bit open-ended, and might be difficult to answer without some details regarding your paricular use-case (BLE update, IP-based update, Mesh, etc)

For instance, the LwM2M subsystem provides a mechanism for receiving a firmware update in the LwM2M client, but the implementation of where to store the incoming binary data is up to you.  See https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/master/samples/net/lwm2m_client/src/lwm2m-client.c#L208 for a callback example that is triggered on each incoming block of data.  Documentation for the sample itself doesn't discuss the firmware update mechanism, but it's here for reference: http://docs.zephyrproject.org/samples/net/lwm2m_client/README.html

Then, there is a robust DFU (Device Firmware Update) subsystem to help implement the image writing portion of a firmware update as well as integrate with mcuboot (an MCU bootloader) which would check an image for validity and then move it into the bootable application slot.   See: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/tree/master/subsys/dfu for sources.

> [...]

Regarding FCB: the initial implementation is done in v1.11, but the APIs are fairly complex and IMHO it's meant to be used as a base layer for other higher level implementations to manage persistent data such as device configuration, system logs and other uses.  There are several pull requests in-progress which aim to add these higher level services.  (The first PR will probably be re-written to use FCB as it's base layer):

Hopefully that helps get you started,

- Mike

Any help regarding the same would be of great help.

How to dynamically OR on reboot update BLE device TX power ?

Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...>

Hi,
How to dynamically OR on reboot update nRF52 based BLE Device TX power ?

Thanks,
vikrant8051

Re: DevDocs support for zephyr docs?

Marti Bolivar

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 12:47 PM, Marti Bolivar <marti@...> wrote:

In short, the Breathe "doxygengroup" output is not enough on its own to use an API without falling back on the source code. Besides some output (as the K_POLL_TYPE_IGNORE example) just not being useful, other missing critical context includes explanatory text alongside the API docs that describes (or links to more information on) common use cases, motivation, examples, etc.

I forgot to write this here, sorry: ", the way you would expect if you were used to:"

- a reference book on an API (e.g. https://nostarch.com/download/TLPI_Ch4.pdf)
- other API doc systems, like Java's (e.g. see java.util in https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/)

Re: DevDocs support for zephyr docs?

Marti Bolivar

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 1:04 PM, Kinder, David B <david.b.kinder@...> wrote:
No I haven't heard of DevDocs.

What does the Zephyr community think about such a tool (or others such as dash) that present project API documentation to developers?

What would make the Zephyr Project API material more useful?

For example, should we publish the doxygen-generated html public API documentation instead of (or in addition to) the Sphinx-generated rendering found at http://docs.zephyrproject.org/api/api.html?

I think that the Sphinx content that's rendered by Breathe is a great start (and I've used Breathe to document other projects before, and believe it has good features). However, in my opinion, there are problems with the current output that make it unlikely to be used much in practice by Zephyr developers.

Here are my favorites:

- The header files where the APIs are declared is not clear. What, for example, do I include to use these APIs?

- The output for defines is not useful in the case of macros which are just numbers:

What is K_POLL_TYPE_IGNORE? How do I use it -- are there any examples? Do I just need to read the code to see what its value is? ... but what header is it declared in?

- The lack of consistent cross-referencing is a problem. Let's say I want to use k_thread_access_grant():

What is a struct k_thread; where are its API docs? Note that this is not always a problem, e.g. I do get a reference to k_id_t from here:

In short, the Breathe "doxygengroup" output is not enough on its own to use an API without falling back on the source code. Besides some output (as the K_POLL_TYPE_IGNORE example) just not being useful, other missing critical context includes explanatory text alongside the API docs that describes (or links to more information on) common use cases, motivation, examples, etc.

- a reference book on an API (e.g. https://nostarch.com/download/TLPI_Ch4.pdf)
- other API doc systems, like Java's (e.g. see java.util in https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/)

Or do developers prefer to just "read the code" (header files in particular)?

In my opinion, given the problems above, reading the code (either directly, or using the help of an indexer like cscope, as I prefer) is the only practical choice for developers given the above problems. There's simply not enough information in the doxygengroup output to be useful, at least as it's currently implemented in Breathe and used in Zephyr. That's not ideal IMO -- while some developers always will prefer reading the code, "real" API docs are needed.

Here are some possible alternatives:

- Zephyr could continue to use Doxygen, reST, and Breathe only, but use lower-level Breathe directives like doxygenfunction and doxygendefine to pull in API documentation in appropriate places in a hand-written API description file (probably working with upstream Breathe as necessary to add any missing information and fix issues).

- Add in a publicly available searchable code index like LXR (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXR_Cross_Referencer, with an example live instance at https://elixir.bootlin.com) or OpenGrok (http://oracle.github.io/opengrok/, example live instance at http://androidxref.com/), and perhaps link to it from the restructuredText (perhaps with a custom directive).

- Combinations of these, etc.

-- david

Re: How hacker will hack/impact my BLE device, when ...??

Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...>

Hi,
https://eewiki.net/display/Wireless/A+Basic+Introduction+to+BLE+Security

MITM attacks are when a third device, which we will call the malicious device, impersonates the other two legitimate devices, in order to fool these devices into connecting to it. In this scenario, both the GAP Central and GAP Peripheral will connect to the malicious device which in turn routes the communication between the two other devices. This gives the legitimate devices the illusion that they are directly connected to each other when in fact their connection has been compromised. This setup not only allows the malicious device to intercept all the data being sent, but also allows it to inject false data into the communication or remove data before it reaches its intended recipient.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading this, I understand that without OOB Pairing everything is more or less insecure.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 7:04 PM, Marcio Montenegro <mtuxpe@...> wrote:
Google Secure beacons.No new hardware design :
https://developers.google.com/beacons/eddystone-eid

Regards,
Marcio

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 10:15 AM, Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...> wrote:
Hi Marcio,
I'm not allowed to add anything extra in my current hardware design.

Besides this, is there any thing which is very serious ?
I'm still trying to understand various security risk behind my current implementation.

Thanks,

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 5:35 PM, Marcio Montenegro <mtuxpe@...> wrote:
Hi all,
Maybe you can use crypto device on your product.

You also need to develop an application to configure  crypto device chip.
Then after configuration each device are unique.
For inspiration see:

Note that this devices has no Bluetooth.
Best,
Marcio

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 2:08 AM, Vakul Garg <vakul.garg@...> wrote:

Hi Vikrant

I am curious to understand about your security implementation.

I work in area of TLS security and I am not bluetooth security expert.

In your case, does the app need to differentiate between a genuine or fake device?

Will it be able to create a shared secret with the device even if it is a clone of genuine device and purpose programmed to leak the common encryption key?

Regards

Vakul

From: "Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa" <vinayak.kariappa.chettimada@...>
Date: Wednesday, 21 March 2018 at 8:42 PM
To: Kai Ren <kren@...>
Cc: "zephyr-devel@..." <zephyr-devel@...>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] compile error

Hi Kai,

Is this on latest upstream/master or an old commit head?

Seems the locale.setlocale  in the kconfig.py is not able to find a supporting setting in your OS distribution, probably you upgraded your distribution.

You can try simply editing the kconfig.py  and change “C.UTF-8” to “UTF-8”.

Regards,

Vinayak

On 21 Mar 2018, at 13:35, Kai Ren <kren@...> wrote:

Hi there,

I had set my Zephyr dev environment up and ran it for several months, but I hit a problem today when I tried to build my project for hex file, the error is below, is it anything I can configure to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook-Pro-2:build renkai$ make

CMake Deprecation Warning at /Users/renkai/Documents/Work/git/zephyr/cmake/app/boilerplate.cmake:38 (cmake_policy):

  The OLD behavior for policy CMP0000 will be removed from a future version

  of CMake.

  The cmake-policies(7) manual explains that the OLD behaviors of all

  policies are deprecated and that a policy should be set to OLD only under

  specific short-term circumstances.  Projects should be ported to the NEW

  behavior and not rely on setting a policy to OLD.

Call Stack (most recent call first):

  CMakeLists.txt:2 (include)

-- Selected BOARD nrf52_pca10040

Zephyr version: 1.11.99

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/Users/renkai/Documents/Work/git/zephyr/scripts/kconfig/kconfig.py", line 24, in <module>

    locale.setlocale(locale.LC_CTYPE, "C.UTF-8")

  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/locale.py", line 598, in setlocale

    return _setlocale(category, locale)

locale.Error: unsupported locale setting

CMake Error at /Users/renkai/Documents/Work/git/zephyr/cmake/kconfig.cmake:145 (message):

  command failed with return code: 1

Call Stack (most recent call first):

  /Users/renkai/Documents/Work/git/zephyr/cmake/app/boilerplate.cmake:241 (include)

  CMakeLists.txt:2 (include)

See also "/Users/renkai/Documents/Work/git/zephyr/samples/hello_world/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

See also "/Users/renkai/Documents/Work/git/zephyr/samples/hello_world/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".

make: *** [cmake_check_build_system] Error 1

Regards,

Kai

[...]