Date

LittlevGL - Open-source Embedded GUI Library

Jan Van Winkel <jan.van_winkel@...>

Hi All,

A couple of hours ago I issued a pull request [1] introducing a new external library providing a framework to create GUIs.

While doing so I encountered some issues:

1) The library is licensed under a MIT license
     According to the contributing guidelines a README needs to be provided in the PR for review by TSC.
     This readme can be found ext/lib/gui/lvgl/README [2] and this the main reason for isueing the PR

2) The PR contains a lot of dependencies on other PRs and to make sure that the PR is functional I needed to include all of them + some additional fixes.
     What is the normal approach here send the PR with all dependencies included, only the changes of PR or wait until the other PRs make it to master?

3) The real question, should a library as this be included in Zephyr?
     The reason I toke up the work is that it was request in issue #6709 [3] and I could use it my self.
     Now if I look back at it there is no easy way to make a common interface for such a library.
     Any opinions on this?

Best Regards,
Jan

Re: Runtime "configuration" system naming

Nashif, Anas

I like settings. Do not thing it is long, sett just makes it ugly.

Anas

#5.0 features

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_PHY=n

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_CHAN_SEL_2=n

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_MIN_USED_CHAN=n

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_ADV_EXT=n

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_PHY_2M=n

#4.2 features

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_DATA_LENGTH=n

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_DATA_LENGTH_MAX=27

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_PRIVACY=n

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_EXT_SCAN_FP=n

#4.1 features

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_CONN_PARAM_REQ=n

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_LE_PING=n

With this kind of configuration, there are 56 bytes saving, but it’s still not enough for me to squeeze the firmware into RAM. In order to make it happen, made some changes:

  • Delete Generic Level server from root models;
  • Delete Health server from root models;
  • disable CONFIG_MICROBIT_DISPLAY to save some RAM bytes, but OOB number display on LED matrix is sacrificed, MUST use com port to print OOB number like nRF 5x boards;

After above configuration, the RAM usage is 99.32% and I can:

  • use BlueZ v5.49 to provision the micro:bit by PB-GATT;
  • use meshctl to control LED matrix on and off by Generic OnOff server set command;

Thank you for the help!

Regards,

Kai

From: "Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa" <vinayak.kariappa.chettimada@...>
Date: Friday, 23 March 2018 at 10:58 PM
To: Kai Ren <kren@...>, Johan Hedberg <johan.hedberg@...>
Cc: "zephyr-devel@..." <zephyr-devel@...>

Hi Ken,

As the faulting instruction address is in RAM, I suspect an overflow of some thread call stack. The PB-GATT may not have been tested on micro:bit due to restricted amount of RAM.

But, please review the Kconfig option for the controller (me being the maintainer of controller) in menuconfig and disable any options that will not be needed for your usecase, like disabling 4.1 and above features and reducing any buffer counts.

That said, please increase these:

CONFIG_MAIN_STACK_SIZE

CONFIG_BT_RX_STACK_SIZE

… provided you can find some free RAM space!

Regards,

Vinayak

#5.0 features

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_PHY=n

#4.2 features

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_DATA_LENGTH=n

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_DATA_LENGTH_MAX=27

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_PRIVACY=n

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_EXT_SCAN_FP=n

Thank you for the proposal, I've tested it.

I copied microbit_gatt.conf  and reduced CONFIG_BT_L2CAP_TX_BUF_COUNT to 2, RAM usage is 99.93%, which can make it fit micro:bit RAM size, but when I use BlueZ to provision it, after OOB output on micro:bit, it seems to be corrupted, a HARD FAULT as below.

OOB Number: 549

***** HARD FAULT *****

  Executing thread ID (thread): 0x20001670

  Faulting instruction address:  0x200014dc

Fatal fault in ISR! Spinning...

I guess that there may be two causes:

  • RAM reach to limit, 99.93% is not safe for application even if it’s passed build phase;
  • CONFIG_BT_L2CAP_TX_BUF_COUNT is too small to fit the provisioning process.

So, I have a question that can I enable optimization level for source code compiling? I had used Keil or IAR, their GUI support to configure optimization level, but how can I configure it on Zephyr? I hope it may save some valuable bytes in RAM of micro:bit.

Regards,

Kai

On 22/03/2018, 11:39 PM, "Johan Hedberg" <johan.hedberg@...> wrote:

    Hi Kai,

    On Thu, Mar 22, 2018, Kai Ren wrote:

    > I’m try to run ./sample/Bluetooth/mesh/ on micro:bit, I found that

    > current source code for micro:bit just support PB-ADV, don’t support

    > PB-GATT. So, I want to add PB-GATT on it, but I found that it’s really

    > hard to pass the build process because it runs out of RAM if I

    > modified prj_bbc_microbit.conf.

    > Meanwhile, I also found that there is a configuration flag,

    > CONFIG_BT_PERIPHERAL, it consumes about 2KB RAM when I enable it, so

    > I’m just curious that what function does this flag provide? And is it

    > necessary for PB-GATT on micro:bit?  Thanks!

    There's actually a samples/bluetooth/mesh/microbit_gatt.conf

    configuration that's intended to be used for a GATT-based build of the

    mesh sample. That said, I just tried it and it actually overflows the

    RAM by 300 bytes. That's much less than 2k however, and hopefully easily

    to fix. Looking into it now. It might e.g. be possible that the

    CONFIG_BT_L2CAP_TX_BUF_COUNT=5 variable can be lowered since there was

    recently an extra segmentation buffer introduced for outgoing ACL

    packets.

    Note: you can select microbit_gatt.conf e.g. by passing the following

    to cmake: -DCONF_FILE=microbit_gatt.conf

    Johan

What is need of addition authentication in case of #BluetoothMesh if ECDH public key exchanged over OOB ? #bluetoothmesh

Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...>

Hi,

If #BluetoothMesh DEVICE ECDH-public key (oob public key) is exchanged over OOB channel then what is further need of authentication using input-OOB or output-OOB or static-OOB ?

Thanks,

Re: How hacker will hack/impact my BLE device, when ...??

Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...>

Hi,
I think we can do OOB pairing, even if Device doesn't have display to share Passkey with user App.

1. Create ECDH public-private key pair (only once in Device life)
2. Read ECDH-Public key via Device serial terminal. Create QR code from it & add it in Device packaging.

3. User will scan it with APP & APP will transfer own dynamically created public key over BLE link.
4. Shared secret will created on both side which can be used to encrypt further communication.

Thanks,
vikrant8051

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 9:13 PM, Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...> wrote:
Hi,
https://eewiki.net/display/Wireless/A+Basic+Introduction+to+BLE+Security

MITM attacks are when a third device, which we will call the malicious device, impersonates the other two legitimate devices, in order to fool these devices into connecting to it. In this scenario, both the GAP Central and GAP Peripheral will connect to the malicious device which in turn routes the communication between the two other devices. This gives the legitimate devices the illusion that they are directly connected to each other when in fact their connection has been compromised. This setup not only allows the malicious device to intercept all the data being sent, but also allows it to inject false data into the communication or remove data before it reaches its intended recipient.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading this, I understand that without OOB Pairing everything is more or less insecure.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 7:04 PM, Marcio Montenegro <mtuxpe@...> wrote:
Google Secure beacons.No new hardware design :
https://developers.google.com/beacons/eddystone-eid

Regards,
Marcio

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 10:15 AM, Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...> wrote:
Hi Marcio,
I'm not allowed to add anything extra in my current hardware design.

Besides this, is there any thing which is very serious ?
I'm still trying to understand various security risk behind my current implementation.

Thanks,

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 5:35 PM, Marcio Montenegro <mtuxpe@...> wrote:
Hi all,
Maybe you can use crypto device on your product.

You also need to develop an application to configure  crypto device chip.
Then after configuration each device are unique.
For inspiration see:

Note that this devices has no Bluetooth.
Best,
Marcio

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 2:08 AM, Vakul Garg <vakul.garg@...> wrote:

Hi Vikrant

I am curious to understand about your security implementation.

I work in area of TLS security and I am not bluetooth security expert.

In your case, does the app need to differentiate between a genuine or fake device?

Will it be able to create a shared secret with the device even if it is a clone of genuine device and purpose programmed to leak the common encryption key?

Regards

Vakul

#5.0 features

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_PHY=n

#4.2 features

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_DATA_LENGTH=n

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_DATA_LENGTH_MAX=27

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_PRIVACY=n

CONFIG_BT_CTLR_EXT_SCAN_FP=n

Thank you for the proposal, I've tested it.

I copied microbit_gatt.conf  and reduced CONFIG_BT_L2CAP_TX_BUF_COUNT to 2, RAM usage is 99.93%, which can make it fit micro:bit RAM size, but when I use BlueZ to provision it, after OOB output on micro:bit, it seems to be corrupted, a HARD FAULT as below.

OOB Number: 549

***** HARD FAULT *****

  Executing thread ID (thread): 0x20001670

  Faulting instruction address:  0x200014dc

Fatal fault in ISR! Spinning...

I guess that there may be two causes:

  • RAM reach to limit, 99.93% is not safe for application even if it’s passed build phase;
  • CONFIG_BT_L2CAP_TX_BUF_COUNT is too small to fit the provisioning process.

So, I have a question that can I enable optimization level for source code compiling? I had used Keil or IAR, their GUI support to configure optimization level, but how can I configure it on Zephyr? I hope it may save some valuable bytes in RAM of micro:bit.

Regards,

Kai

On 22/03/2018, 11:39 PM, "Johan Hedberg" <johan.hedberg@...> wrote:

    Hi Kai,

    On Thu, Mar 22, 2018, Kai Ren wrote:

    > I’m try to run ./sample/Bluetooth/mesh/ on micro:bit, I found that

    > current source code for micro:bit just support PB-ADV, don’t support

    > PB-GATT. So, I want to add PB-GATT on it, but I found that it’s really

    > hard to pass the build process because it runs out of RAM if I

    > modified prj_bbc_microbit.conf.

    > Meanwhile, I also found that there is a configuration flag,

    > CONFIG_BT_PERIPHERAL, it consumes about 2KB RAM when I enable it, so

    > I’m just curious that what function does this flag provide? And is it

    > necessary for PB-GATT on micro:bit?  Thanks!

    There's actually a samples/bluetooth/mesh/microbit_gatt.conf

    configuration that's intended to be used for a GATT-based build of the

    mesh sample. That said, I just tried it and it actually overflows the

    RAM by 300 bytes. That's much less than 2k however, and hopefully easily

    to fix. Looking into it now. It might e.g. be possible that the

    CONFIG_BT_L2CAP_TX_BUF_COUNT=5 variable can be lowered since there was

    recently an extra segmentation buffer introduced for outgoing ACL

    packets.

    Note: you can select microbit_gatt.conf e.g. by passing the following

    to cmake: -DCONF_FILE=microbit_gatt.conf

    Johan

Board Config Files

Justin

I'm attempting to port over a custom board (NRF52832) and I'm a little confused by which config files are still being used (CMAKE build).

Should I be putting my configurations in <board>_defconfig, KConfig* files or both?  Or should I just be using device tree files now?

Thanks,
Justin

> [...]

    > Meanwhile, I also found that there is a configuration flag,

    > CONFIG_BT_PERIPHERAL, it consumes about 2KB RAM when I enable it, so

    > I’m just curious that what function does this flag provide? And is it

    > necessary for PB-GATT on micro:bit?  Thanks!

    There's actually a samples/bluetooth/mesh/microbit_gatt.conf

    configuration that's intended to be used for a GATT-based build of the

    mesh sample. That said, I just tried it and it actually overflows the

    RAM by 300 bytes. That's much less than 2k however, and hopefully easily

    to fix. Looking into it now. It might e.g. be possible that the

    CONFIG_BT_L2CAP_TX_BUF_COUNT=5 variable can be lowered since there was

    recently an extra segmentation buffer introduced for outgoing ACL

    packets.

    Note: you can select microbit_gatt.conf e.g. by passing the following

    to cmake: -DCONF_FILE=microbit_gatt.conf

Re: Firmware over the air (FOTA) and FCB support in 1.11.0

laczenJMS

Hi Carles,

I will add the lifetime calculation to the documentation of NVS.

Regarding the comparison between FCB and NVS: FCB would need an
additional layer to be able to get this functionality (which is the
config layer). The following decisions are influencing flash wear:

1. Config system: store name-value pairs as strings: this makes the
difference between 10 bytes and 26 bytes (should really be 27 because
I forgot the zero termination).
2. FCB storage: use of scratch sector this reduces the lifetime to the
amount of scratch sector erases.

Decision 1 will reduce life with a factor 2.6, Decision 2 will reduce
life with at least a factor 2.

Kind regards,

Jehudi

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 15:27:23 +0000
From: "Cufi, Carles" <Carles.Cufi@nordicsemi.no>
To: Laczen JMS <laczenjms@gmail.com>,
"zephyr-devel@lists.zephyrproject.org"
<zephyr-devel@lists.zephyrproject.org>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Firmware over the air (FOTA) and FCB
support in 1.11.0

Hi Jehudi,

Thanks for all the info, maybe you could post this in the NVS PR.

Additionally, you compared Config+FCB with NVS accessed directly. Since the first item we need to decide on is actually whether we "augment" FCB with some of the NVS code or we add NVS as a separate subsystem, a very interesting comparison would be to have a real-life RAM and Flash usage comparison of FCB and NVS both being accessed directly, if possible for BLE Mesh data since that is the main target of NVS right now. How much worse off would we be if we used FCB as it stands today instead of NVS?

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 14:02:39 -0700
From: Michael Scott <michael@opensourcefoundries.com>
To: Vikrant More <vikrant8051@gmail.com>
Cc: zephyr-users@lists.zephyrproject.org,
zephyr-devel@lists.zephyrproject.org,
"ashish.shukla@corvi.com"
<ashish.shukla@corvi.com>
support in 1.11.0

On 03/21/2018 10:09 AM, Vikrant More wrote:
Hi,
Regarding FCB: the initial implementation is done in v1.11, but
the APIs are fairly complex and IMHO it's meant to be used as a
base layer for other higher level implementations to manage
persistent data such as device configuration, system logs and other
uses.
There are several pull requests in-progress which aim to add these
higher level services.? (The first PR will probably be re-written to
use FCB as it's base layer):
<https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/6391>
<https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/6408>

Are these PRs, suitable to save #BluetoothMesh's Sequence Numbers on
flash which updates frequently ?
IIRC, the idea is to settle on 1 solution which would be appropriate
for most use-cases (including Mesh Sequence Numbers).?? You might want
to have 2 separate storage locations if you have data that only
updates occasionally *and* data that updates frequently.

The guys from Nordic (and possibly Johan) are looking at this issue as
well.

- Mike

Thanks,

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 9:59 PM, Michael Scott
<michael@opensourcefoundries.com
<mailto:michael@opensourcefoundries.com>> wrote:

On 03/20/2018 09:14 PM, ashish.shukla@corvi.com
<mailto:ashish.shukla@corvi.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I've been waiting for FOTA and FCB support in zephyr and now
when
it is supported, I cannot see any samples available or proper
documentation to use these features in my project.
Hi Ashish,

Your question is a bit open-ended, and might be difficult to
answer without some details regarding your paricular use-case
(BLE
update, IP-based update, Mesh, etc)

For instance, the LwM2M subsystem provides a mechanism for
receiving a firmware update in the LwM2M client, but the
implementation of where to store the incoming binary data is up
you.? See
https://github.com/zephyrproject-
rtos/zephyr/blob/master/samples/net/lwm2m_client/src/lwm2m-client.c#L208
<https://github.com/zephyrproject-
rtos/zephyr/blob/master/samples/net/lwm2m_client/src/lwm2m-
client.c#L208>
for a callback example that is triggered on each incoming block
of
data.? Documentation for the sample itself doesn't discuss the
firmware update mechanism, but it's here for reference:
http://docs.zephyrproject.org/samples/net/lwm2m_client/README.html

<http://docs.zephyrproject.org/samples/net/lwm2m_client/README.html>

Then, there is a robust DFU (Device Firmware Update) subsystem to
help implement the image writing portion of a firmware update as
well as integrate with mcuboot (an MCU bootloader) which would
check an image for validity and then move it into the bootable
application slot. ? See:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-
rtos/zephyr/tree/master/subsys/dfu
<https://github.com/zephyrproject-
rtos/zephyr/tree/master/subsys/dfu>
for sources.

Regarding FCB: the initial implementation is done in v1.11, but
the APIs are fairly complex and IMHO it's meant to be used as a
base layer for other higher level implementations to manage
persistent data such as device configuration, system logs and
other uses.? There are several pull requests in-progress which
aim
to add these higher level services.? (The first PR will probably
be re-written to use FCB as it's base layer):
<https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/6391>
<https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/6408>

Hopefully that helps get you started,

- Mike

Any help regarding the same would be of great help.

--
Warm regards,
Ashish Shukla

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail or
its attachments.

Disclaimer: The information contained herein (including any
accompanying documents) is confidential and is intended solely
for the addressee(s). If you have erroneously received this
message, please immediately delete it and notify the sender.
Also, if you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking
any
action in reliance on the contents of this message or any
accompanying document is strictly prohibited and is unlawful.
The
organization is not responsible for any damage caused by a virus
or alteration of the e-mail by a third party or otherwise. The
contents of this message may not necessarily represent the views
or policies of Corvi