Date

Re: RFC: Unified kernel

Luiz Augusto von Dentz

Hi Ben,

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:30 PM, Benjamin Walsh
<benjamin.walsh(a)windriver.com> wrote:
[..snip..]

Miscellaneous
-------------

The new APIs return generic negative errnos on failure and 0 on success,
instead of the RC_ ones used by the microkernel.

The timeout values passed to APIs are in seconds and nanoseconds,
similar to :code:`struct timespec`, instead of ticks, to allow for a
future fully tickless kernel. The granularity is in ticks for now
however since the system clock is still tick-based.

[Q: do we want a struct like timespec or use an int64_t in nanoseconds ?]
I did not get any feedback w.r.t. this: I have been using the int64_t in
nanoseconds in the code I currently have, since it allows easily passing
a constant without creating a variable to hold a timespec. However, when
I started passing seemingly ridiculously huge numbers, I found that I
really had to double-check the values to make sure I had the correct
number of zeroes. :) (one second is 1000000000)

Also, it currently involves 64-bit math for converting to ticks and
back, since the kernel is still tick-based.
Does a tick based timer can really handle nanoseconds granularity? I
though that would be ridiculous expensive even for very fast CPUs
which are not really the target here.

I would propose something else, see what people think about that: what
about using a uint32_t value instead, in miliseconds. That gives about
49 days for a timeout on an object, which I think is reasonable.
0xffffffff is reserved for K_FOREVER. However, that gives a resolution
of only milliseconds of course, not nanoseconds, but it might be
reasonable as well for waiting on objects. And that gives more
manageable values passed as timeouts.
For network subsystem having it in milliseconds would probably be enough.

Comments _really_ appreciated. :)

Special timeout values are now :code:`K_NO_WAIT` and :code:`K_FOREVER`
instead of :code:`TICKS_NONE` and :code:`TICKS_UNLIMITED`.

.. note::

The design of the tickless kernel is outside the scope of this document.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz

Re: RFC: Unified kernel

Iván Briano <ivan.briano at intel.com...>

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 16:30:39 -0400, Benjamin Walsh wrote:
[..snip..]

Miscellaneous
-------------

[...]

Would going with microseconds instead be a reasonable compromise? Or the
maximum time then would be too short and we don't really need anything
under milliseconds?

And how would the tickless kernel work? Would int64_t make more sense
there or would there still be a cost for 64-bit math? If not, then I say
we pay the price for it now if it's not too high, rather than
potentially changing things again in the future.

Special timeout values are now :code:`K_NO_WAIT` and :code:`K_FOREVER`
instead of :code:`TICKS_NONE` and :code:`TICKS_UNLIMITED`.

.. note::

The design of the tickless kernel is outside the scope of this document.

Re: intent for KBUILD_ZEPHYR_APP?

Please do not remove it, it is being used by WR Rocket and other software stacks on top of Zephyr. I have no problem removing this, but first we need an alternate solution.

The idea here is that you add a dependency in the build process which is satisfied in the application using Makefile.app, in the example below you basically compile libmylib.a as part of the overall build process and then link it.

Anas

On 15/06/2016, 15:46, "Kumar Gala" <kumar.gala(a)linaro.org> wrote:

Not sure I get exactly what the point of KBUILD_ZEPHYR_APP based on the github you pointed at.

Are we ok with removing it for now, maybe enter a new Jira ticket with the details of what functionality is desired that KBUILD_ZEPHYR_APP was meant for.

- k

On Jun 15, 2016, at 2:20 PM, Nashif, Anas <anas.nashif(a)intel.com> wrote:

See https://github.com/nashif/zephyr_modules

The intent was always to remove this and do integration of 3rd party modules in a cleaner way.

There are a few build system related bugs/issue that are interconnected and I think we need to solve for 1.5 ☺

Anas

On 15/06/2016, 14:56, "Kumar Gala" <kumar.gala(a)linaro.org> wrote:

KBUILD_ZEPHYR_APP isn’t documented anywhere so wondering what’s it intent was and how it differs from SOURCE_DIR?

- k

Re: RFC: Unified kernel

[...]

Kumar Gala

Not sure I get exactly what the point of KBUILD_ZEPHYR_APP based on the github you pointed at.

Are we ok with removing it for now, maybe enter a new Jira ticket with the details of what functionality is desired that KBUILD_ZEPHYR_APP was meant for.

- k

On Jun 15, 2016, at 2:20 PM, Nashif, Anas <anas.nashif(a)intel.com> wrote:

See https://github.com/nashif/zephyr_modules

The intent was always to remove this and do integration of 3rd party modules in a cleaner way.

There are a few build system related bugs/issue that are interconnected and I think we need to solve for 1.5 ☺

Anas

On 15/06/2016, 14:56, "Kumar Gala" <kumar.gala(a)linaro.org> wrote:

KBUILD_ZEPHYR_APP isn’t documented anywhere so wondering what’s it intent was and how it differs from SOURCE_DIR?

- k

MQTT over a GSM Interface using Zephyr 1.4

vishnuvaradan vishnuvaradan

Hi All

In my project i have used freertos along with http to post data to the server through GSM Interface

Now Iam migrating the same project into Zephyr RTOS based with MQTT support.
I have seen in the recent Zephyr 1.4 version, MQTT support is released.I have gone through the src/config.h file and understood that MQTT is tested on Galileo board using ethernet Interface specifying client and server IP address

My Use case is I have to use the GSM interface and use the TCP/IP stack of the controller ( without using the GSM interface TCP/IP stack as it is not fully developed)

My doubt is If I find the IP address of GSM interface( through some AT commands) and replace that IP address in the config file..
Will the TCP/IP stack recognize the IP address as GSM interface address and publish the mqtt message ?

Anybody who have worked on such implementation please share your experience

Re: intent for KBUILD_ZEPHYR_APP?

Nashif, Anas

See https://github.com/nashif/zephyr_modules

The intent was always to remove this and do integration of 3rd party modules in a cleaner way.

There are a few build system related bugs/issue that are interconnected and I think we need to solve for 1.5 ☺

Anas

On 15/06/2016, 14:56, "Kumar Gala" <kumar.gala(a)linaro.org> wrote:

KBUILD_ZEPHYR_APP isn’t documented anywhere so wondering what’s it intent was and how it differs from SOURCE_DIR?

- k

intent for KBUILD_ZEPHYR_APP?

Kumar Gala

KBUILD_ZEPHYR_APP isn’t documented anywhere so wondering what’s it intent was and how it differs from SOURCE_DIR?

- k

Daily JIRA Digest

donotreply@...

NEW JIRA items within last 24 hours: 2
[ZEP-458] C++ compiler flags are not managed correctly

[ZEP-459] doc: kconfig reference entries in HTML are lacking a title

[ZEP-245] Restructure Documentation content

[ZEP-243] Create Wiki Structure for Boards

[ZEP-366] Linking with static libraries

Daily Gerrit Digest

donotreply@...

NEW within last 24 hours:
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2593 : sensor: add driver for LPS25HB
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2591 : doc: subsystems/bluetooth: Add cross-reference to Bluetooth API
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2577 : doc|config: Nordic RF5 fix references to SOC_NRF5
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2582 : doc: fix doxygen warnings 'documented symbol `XYZ` was not declared or defined.'
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2581 : doxygen: include arch directory trees
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2580 : doxygen: run quietly, report only errors and warnings
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2578 : doc: fix code references in typedef.rst
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2583 : doc: fix typos in doc argument names, removing doxygen warnings
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2566 : fs: [WIP] Add a sample app to demo file system
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2564 : fs: [WIP] Pull in open source FAT FS implementation
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2565 : fs: [WIP] Add bottom layer disk io for FAT FS
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2560 : drivers: dma: Add QMSI 1.1-based DMA shim driver
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2549 : drivers: dma: DMA driver interface
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2562 : checkpatch: kconfig: warn about spaces instead of tabs
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2563 : CI TEST: do not merge: test leading space in kconfig files
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2561 : samples: Add DMA memory to memory transfer sample app
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2558 : test_fp_sharing: clean up test code
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2559 : test_fp_sharing: Enable for Cortex-M4
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2548 : misc: add config to omit frame pointer
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2557 : arm float: Add Kconfig options
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2556 : arm float: Update compiler options
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2555 : arm float: Enable floating point
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2554 : arm float: Save and load FP registers
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2553 : arm float: Add FPU structures and fields to the SCS
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2552 : arm float: Add cooperative and preemptive FP regs
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2551 : arm float: Update exception stack frame structure

UPDATED within last 24 hours:
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2214 : Bluetooth: Add delay before sending Connection Update
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2485 : samples: Initial commit of the heartrate monitor

MERGED within last 24 hours:
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2592 : drivers/nble: Fix compile error with debug enabled
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2590 : Bluetooth: samples: Unify config for QEMU and Arduino101 targets
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2587 : doc: doxygen: Add some Bluetooth Kconfig options to PREDEFINED
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2586 : doc: api: Include Bluetooth in API section
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2589 : Bluetooth: Always restart advertising on disconnect event
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2584 : Bluetooth: Remove #ifdefs from public header files
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2585 : Bluetooth: Put bluetooth.h APIs behind a GAP subgroup
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2588 : drivers/nble: Fix hanging conn reference
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2579 : quarkd2000: correct LOAPIC timer IRQ number
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2568 : doc: fix ':option:XYZ' to ':option:CONFIG_XYZ', removing warning
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2569 : doc: fix warnings due to :c:option: and :option:
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2572 : doc: fix broken link to nanokernel fibers
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2571 : doc: fix broken link in gerrit.rst
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2573 : doc: remove reference to task IRQs, deprecated
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2574 : doc: Fix typo in reference to microkernel_memory_maps
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2570 : doc: fix warnings (invalid C++ reference)
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2576 : doc: add empty lines in enumeration for ReST to be happy
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2575 : doc: remove *.h so documentation generation doesn't complain
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2567 : doc: Merge substitutions into conf.py:rst_epilog
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2547 : doc: nanokernel_interrupts: fix dangling link
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2378 : test_timer: give it more time, in real HW it seems 60s is not enough
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2369 : testcases: sanity check TCs get more language for real HW
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2382 : testcases: sample static testcase to run checkpatch on the source
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2375 : testcases: sample testcase to generate project's documentation
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2370 : tc_utils: introduce TC_PRINT_RUNID / TC_RUNID
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2372 : testcases: instruct git to ignore *log and outdir-*
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2371 : benchmark/sys_kernel: use TC_PRINT_RUNID
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2336 : sys_log: adds system log documentation page
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2517 : doc: fix 'unexpected indentation' warnings
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2521 : doc: fix issues in sensort.rst
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2537 : doc: frdm k64f moved to use :option:`CONFIG_XYZ` vs _XYZ
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2525 : doc: merge coding_style -> conventions.rst
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2534 : doc: sphinx-build prints only warnings or errors
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2532 : doc: remove warning on failed code highlighting
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2540 : doc: remove unused CONFIG_ options, fix x-ref to existing ones
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2516 : doc: fix bad indentation error
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2526 : doc/getting_started: replace missing TOC entry with link
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2528 : doc: integrate about_zephyr -> index to remove warnings
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2535 : doc: use ``xx`` instead of :option:`xx` where it makes sense
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2531 : doc: fix references to examples in variables.rst
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2522 : doc: remove warning "file not included in toctree"
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2541 : doc: fix :option: x-refs to squash doc generation warnings
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2533 : doc: fix warnings in apps_kernel_conf.rst
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2519 : doc: fix "header inconsistency" in interrupts doc.
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2518 : doc: fix 'bullet list' formatting errors
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2524 : doc: error_code_conventions -> conventions.rst
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2523 : doc: fix duplicate target in frdm k64f
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2529 : doc: fix duplicate link warning
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2539 : doc: removed unused/defined CONFIG_EOI_HANDLER_SUPPORTED config option
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2530 : doc: fix warnings in groups.rst
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2538 : doc: FRDM: remove reference to unexistant CONFIG_SW_ISR_TABLE_STATIC_CUSTOM
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2536 : doc: declare CONFIG_XYZ with `.. option::` vs a header
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2527 : doc: fixed bad path in defines.rst
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2520 : doc: fix broken formatting in power_management.rst
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2500 : quarkd2000: warn of needing to flash ROM before starting
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2514 : build: do not reference full path of map file
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2515 : libc: change linking order to avoid over-stripping of symbols
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2513 : Revert "build: Do not depend on python while creating the relative path"
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2546 : Bluetooth: SMP: Fix registering L2CAP fixed channel

Re: v1.4.0 seems to have broken my application

Nashif, Anas

Can you please file a bug with some more details?

Anas

From: Matt Heins <heinsmatt(a)gmail.com>
Date: To: "devel(a)lists.zephyrproject.org" <devel(a)lists.zephyrproject.org>
Subject: [devel] v1.4.0 seems to have broken my application

Hi,

I checked out the v1.4.0 tag and tested my application and found that it no longer worked. I'm using the BMI160 on the Arduino 101. I also tested the sample BMI160 application and found that it also no longer works with v1.4.0. For a sanity check, I went back to 1.3.0 and found that both applications started functioning again. Can I get some pointers on how to fix the applications to work with v1.4.0? Is it a new driver implementation?

Thanks

Matt

v1.4.0 seems to have broken my application

Matt Heins <heinsmatt@...>

Hi,

I checked out the v1.4.0 tag and tested my application and found that it no
longer worked. I'm using the BMI160 on the Arduino 101. I also tested the
sample BMI160 application and found that it also no longer works with
v1.4.0. For a sanity check, I went back to 1.3.0 and found that both
applications started functioning again. Can I get some pointers on how to
fix the applications to work with v1.4.0? Is it a new driver implementation?

Thanks

Matt

Daily JIRA Digest

donotreply@...

NEW JIRA items within last 24 hours: 3
[ZEP-455] Sensor DHT11/DHT22 Fails to perform repetitive sampling with Zephyr

[ZEP-456] doc: `IDT security` section dissapeared

[ZEP-457] doc: contribute/doxygen/typedefs.rst: examples files are broken

[ZEP-243] Create Wiki Structure for Boards

[ZEP-424] AON counter driver needs to add driver API reentrancy support

[ZEP-441] Add driver API reentrancy support to GPIO shim drivers

[ZEP-440] Add driver API reentrancy support to WDT shim driver

[ZEP-412] Add driver API reentrancy support to RTC driver for LMT

[ZEP-414] Add driver API reentrancy support to flash driver

[ZEP-454] Add driver API reentrancy support to UART shim drivers

[ZEP-430] Add driver API reentrancy support to PWM shim driver

[ZEP-231] USB device support

[ZEP-75] Zephyr compiler fails with error about executing cc1

[ZEP-221] [drivers/nble][PTS_TEST] Implement Execute Write Request handler

[ZEP-180] make menuconfig user provided options are ignored at building time

[ZEP-212] "~" not working in build env variables

[ZEP-146] (Won't Do) missing field "Build ID"

[ZEP-449] (Cannot Reproduce) Zephyr crashes in kernel fiber when passed stack variable

[ZEP-316] (Fixed) DHT11/DHT22 Sensors

[ZEP-208] (Fixed) Zephyr's net stack does not handle fragmentation of packets properly

Daily Gerrit Digest

donotreply@...

NEW within last 24 hours:
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2542 : doc: fix warnings in the documentation generation process
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2512 : ksdk: Add Makefile support for ksdk device and CPU
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2511 : ksdk: Add Kconfig support to enable/disable the ksdk
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2509 : sys_log: replace old debug macros at ADC driver
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2508 : sys_log: replace old debug macro on ADC driver sample.
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2510 : sys_log: replace old debug macros on K64 PSI driver

UPDATED within last 24 hours:
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2485 : samples: Initial commit of the heartrate monitor
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2431 : wdt: qmsi: improved reentrancy of the wdt driver
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2488 : uart: qmsi: Add driver API reentrancy support to UART shim driver

MERGED within last 24 hours:
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2545 : Bluetooth: IPSP: Add README
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2543 : net: Convert net_buf_put() to use new nano_fifo_put_list() API
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2507 : net: Use net_buf APIs for getting net_buf elements from FIFO
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2499 : tests: test nano_fifo_put_list and nano_fifo_put_slist.
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2498 : nanokernel: add nano_fifo_put_list() APIs

Daily JIRA Digest

donotreply@...

NEW JIRA items within last 24 hours: 0

[ZEP-411] (Fixed) Add driver API reentrancy support to I2C driver for ARC

[ZEP-205] (Won't Do) Fail to enable udp loopback for ipv4

Daily Gerrit Digest

donotreply@...

NEW within last 24 hours:
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2507 : net: Use net_buf APIs for getting net_buf elements from FIFO

UPDATED within last 24 hours:
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2047 : !!DO NOT MERGE!! kernel v2: multi-tasking nanokernel, semaphores and timeouts
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2500 : quarkd2000: warn of needing to flash ROM before starting
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2431 : wdt : improve reentrancy of the wdt driver

MERGED within last 24 hours:
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2506 : Bluetooth: Use proper net_buf APIs
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2505 : Bluetooth: L2CAP: Remove unnecessary stack variables
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2504 : Bluetooth: L2CAP: Add helper for BR channel conversion
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2503 : Bluetooth: L2CAP: Add helper for LE channel conversion
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2502 : Bluetooth: L2CAP: Fix reject command params on BR/EDR
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2501 : Revert "Bluetooth: Remove LE Rand workaround for mynewt firmware"
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2480 : Bluetooth: L2CAP: Refactor l2cap core types
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2490 : Bluetooth: Allow NRPA usage when connections are not supported

Daily JIRA Digest

donotreply@...

NEW JIRA items within last 24 hours: 0

[ZEP-433] Unclear how to obtain Arduino 101 "original bootloader" for dfu-util operation

[ZEP-422] (Fixed) Cannot create Bluetooth firmware for the Arduino 101

Daily Gerrit Digest

donotreply@...

NEW within last 24 hours:

UPDATED within last 24 hours:
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2047 : !!DO NOT MERGE!! kernel v2: multi-tasking nanokernel, semaphores and timeouts

MERGED within last 24 hours:

Daily JIRA Digest

donotreply@...

NEW JIRA items within last 24 hours: 3
[ZEP-453] Add support in SPI shim driver for DMA transfer mode

[ZEP-452] Add support in I2C shim driver for DMA transfer mode

[ZEP-451] Quark SE output by default redirected to IPM

[ZEP-243] Create Wiki Structure for Boards

[ZEP-454] Add driver API reentrancy support to UART shim drivers

[ZEP-366] Linking with static libraries

[ZEP-423] Quark D2000 CRB documentation should include instructions to flash bootloader

Daily Gerrit Digest

donotreply@...

NEW within last 24 hours:
- https://gerrit.zephyrproject.org/r/2497 : samples: drivers: current_sensing: update tags testcase.ini