Date

Re: Zephyr (v1.13.0) HCI_UART running on nRF52 DK why BD address is always 00:00:00:00:00:00 after power cycle #nrf52832

icephyr

Hi Frank,
    Thanks for your suggestions, The mac address was changed successfully under your instructions, but I still cannot discover the device with nRFConnect smartphone app.
That seems all the difference between us.
After I changed mac address of the controller, I just set advertise data and enabled advertise function:
The advertise data I set was :
hcitool -i hci0 cmd 0x08 0x0008 1e 02 01 06 03 03 aa fe 17 16 aa fe 00 -10 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0a 0b 0e 0f 00 00 00 00
Then I set advertise function enable:
sudo hcitool -i hci0 cmd 0x08 0x000a 01

would you please tell what commands you executed to make the controller advertise normally ? Thanks

Zephyr as HCI Host #uart #bluetoothmesh #hci

@abaska

Hello,

I am trying to configure Zephyr as a HCI UART host.

My setup:
  • nrf52840_pca10056 nordic dev kit running zephyr/samples/bluetooth/hci_uart. This seems pretty straight forward.
  • stm32f746g_disco dev kit running zephyr/samples/bluetooth/mesh. When selecting the mesh sample the build environment knows to automatically select BT_HCI_HOST.
  • 4 UART lines between the two boards. Rx, Tx, RTS, and CTS.

Is this a valid setup? I really only need zephyr running as the host and then the HCI controller could be any controller that speaks HCI UART, but right now I have both boards running zephyr. I found documentation on zephyr HCI controller, but not much on zephyr being the HCI host.

In running this I would expect to see the mesh sample run. IE to be able to see a configurable mesh device and to be able to provision it. What I am seeing is one UART message in either direction (seen via scope) then nothing. I started divining into the hci code but wanted to reach out to see if anyone has ever ran zephyr as a bluetooth HCI host before.

Re: thread permissions issue

Boie, Andrew P

I'm developing a shell module for the sensor drivers and I want to
validate if the device name passed from the user is a sensor device.
The userspace infrastructure has facilities for this, but as I commented in your patch, what you are doing is only intended for system call handlers. The Zephyr kernel running in supervisor mode is intended to be very lightweight and doesn't have features like this, it's a garbage-in-garbage-out type of situation.

The proper way to do this is have the shell main loop run in user mode, it's the only way to make robust assertions that malformed user input can't hose the system. I suggest just dropping the checks.

Andrew

Resources Regarding assembly coding on Cortex arm-4

Md Kowsar Hossain <auvikuet@...>

Hello,

I was looking for some useful links from where I can learn how to do assembly coding on Cortex arm-4 more specifically calling a c function from an assembly file. Could you please provide me some resources regarding it?

Regards
Auvi

Re: Calling a function not compiled as part of Zephyr from within Zephyr

Sebastian Boe

Could you try turning off CONFIG_USERSPACE and/or provide a minimal test case that demonstrates the failure?

I am attempting to run an external function on an nRF52840 which is present on the module's flash at a known address but is not part of the Zephyr environment (consider it external). The function doesn't do much except update some pointers which are provided to it, however when attempting to run the function from Zephyr, it generates a usage fault error, "Illegal use of the EPSR". I assume this is caused by a kernel security feature, so how would one go about calling an external function generated in a different build environment from Zephyr without it causing a fault?
Thanks,
Jamie

Calling a function not compiled as part of Zephyr from within Zephyr

Jamie Mccrae <Jamie.Mccrae@...>

Hi,
I am attempting to run an external function on an nRF52840 which is present on the module's flash at a known address but is not part of the Zephyr environment (consider it external). The function doesn't do much except update some pointers which are provided to it, however when attempting to run the function from Zephyr, it generates a usage fault error, "Illegal use of the EPSR". I assume this is caused by a kernel security feature, so how would one go about calling an external function generated in a different build environment from Zephyr without it causing a fault?
Thanks,
Jamie

Re: Zephyr (v1.13.0) HCI_UART running on nRF52 DK why BD address is always 00:00:00:00:00:00 after power cycle #nrf52832

frv

Edited

Hi there,

For me using the Nordic's nRFConnect smartphone app is very useful in the debug process.

My experience so far is when the public address of the HCI controller is set as 00:00:00:00:00:00 the client (central) application will detect/discover the peripheral BT device as ANOMYNOUS, thus the advertising is working.
However connecting to it via the nRFConnect makes the client applic crashing when the device is disoverable as ANOMYNOUS. But this is a different kind of issue I'm afraid.

BTW make also sure you are making your device discoverable.

I suggest you set the public address of the HCI controller via the cmd hcitool cmd 0x3f 0x006 0x0 0x0 0x1 0x2 0x21 0xAD (you are of course free to chose a different BD address). Make sure the btattach process is running correctly (e.g. btattach -B /dev/tttyACM0 -S 1000000 -P h4) before setting the address.
Stop the btattach process and restart it.  When the cmd is succesfully executed the cmd hcitool dev or hciconfig -a should display the address that was set.

BTW making use of QT example code makes it quite interesting to test out BLE functionality. Also QT DBus viewer can be very helpful in setting and debugging BLE functionality.

Good luck,
Frank

Re: Zephyr (v1.13.0) HCI_UART running on nRF52 DK why BD address is always 00:00:00:00:00:00 after power cycle #nrf52832

icephyr

Hi,guys, It seems that I met a similar problem with Frank.

I use nRF52832 running HCI_UART sample as a controller. I want to make the controller advertise unconnectable packets outside, so I use bluez (version 5.48)

and hcitool to set advertise data :
sudo hcitool -i hci0 cmd 0x08 0x0008 1f 02 01 06 03 03 aa fe 17 16 aa fe 00 -10 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0a 0b 0e 0f 00 00 00 00

and set advertise enable:
sudo hcitool -i hci0 cmd 0x08 0x000a 01

I detect the process with btmon, the controller returns success ,like this below:

But I didn't find the packet whose data was what I have set with hcitool command. I wonder if this is normal, and will the whole zero mac-address cause this problem ?

Re: Zephyr (v1.13.0) HCI_UART running on nRF52 DK why BD address is always 00:00:00:00:00:00 after power cycle #nrf52832

frv

Hi Carles,

Thanks a lot, I hope soon a proper answer can be given, nevertheless progress is made and it just to know if this is normal behaviour.

Best regards,
Frank

Re: Zephyr (v1.13.0) HCI_UART running on nRF52 DK why BD address is always 00:00:00:00:00:00 after power cycle #nrf52832

Carles Cufi

Hi Frank,

Right, since this seems to be more about BlueZ and Qt than about Zephyr or nRF, because nRF chipsets do not come with a public address registered and burned into the chip, I have copied a couple of people familiar with BlueZ to see if they can help you.