Date

Re: How to flash static mac address into zephyr ? #nrf52832

frv

Edited

Hi icephyr,

I'm far from a Zephyr BLE expert, but I had this process in mind what could be a solution.

As Nordic doesn't store a public BLE device address in flash I would try to implement the following steps:
Good luck.

Best regards,
Frank

How to flash static mac address into zephyr ? #nrf52832

icephyr

Hi guys,

    I met a problem and hope someone can help me here.

    I want to use nrf52832 as a tag device and can locate it by its mac address, so I have to flash pre-assigned static address into nrf52832 running zephyr project, since nrf chip don't have a pre-assigned mac address.

    I wonder if there is any method to implement this function ?

   Thanks  a lot if anyone can help.

Re: Extracting iBeacon Advertisement Packets

Martin <ma@...>

Sorry, I was copying the wrong code..

int i;

//print adv. packet
for(i=0;i<buf->len;i++) {
printk("%d %02X\n",i, buf->data[i]);
}

//print major
printk("maj: %d\n",((buf->data[25] & 0xff) * 0x100 + (buf->data[26] & 0xff) ));
Am Mi., 21. Nov. 2018 um 18:12 Uhr schrieb Martin <ma@...>:

Well, simple enough.

int i;

for(i=0; i<5; i++) {
printf("i%d\n", i+1);
}

prints the advertisement packet's bytes in decimals and includes the
UUID acc. to the kontakt.io article. Hope this helps anyone...

Martin
Am Mi., 21. Nov. 2018 um 17:56 Uhr schrieb Martin <ma@...>:

Hi,
I am quite new to Zephyr and want to extract iBeacon Advertisement
Packets. I already have access to them as a net_buf_simple structure,
but I want to read the major and minor for example. I realize that I
have to probably read some certain bytes out of net_buf_simple
(according to https://support.kontakt.io/hc/en-gb/articles/201492492-Advertising-packet-structure).
Can someone point me to a direction (function) to do this?

Thanks,
Martin

[...]

Re: Zephyr BLE Controller Nordic - BLE qualification process

frv

Hi Luiz Augusto von Dentz,

Thank you very much for your reply. This should give me sufficient direction to go further.

The idea for our BLE central oriented platform (two boards solution) is to run on the BLE Host board Linux and thus depending on BlueZ. The BLE controller runs on a Nordic board Zephyr (HCI_UART).
Both boards will be bridged via a HCI uart(h4) transport layer.

Our BLE peripheral oriented platform might be a pure single board Nordic BLE Host Controller approach depending on Nordic's SoftDevice for the BLE stack.

Best regards,
Frank

Re: Zephyr BLE Controller Nordic - BLE qualification process

Luiz Augusto von Dentz

Hi,
On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 10:39 AM frv <@frv> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi Carles,

Probably all is here for the qualification process, correct? : https://www.bluetooth.com/develop-with-bluetooth/qualification-listing
There is a listing for the Host Stack as well:

https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/70189

Just wondering do we have extra concerns should we rely on the BlueZ stack at Host side except for the GPL licensing.
Probably when relying on QT which is LGPL and wraps the BlueZ stack we don't have issues around strict GPL licensing?
Is your system going to run Zephyr or Linux/BlueZ as host stack? BlueZ
daemon is GPL but that exposes APIs over D-Bus so you are not really
linking to it, that said the qualification for BlueZ also depends on
the Kernel. There is quite a few listings of BlueZ:

https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/65535
https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/48333
https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/507
https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/12555
https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/7341
https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/17086
https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/7319

From looks of them the latest BlueZ listing is for version 5.48,
though depending on the product they may have only some layers
qualified not the entire stack.

Update 9h38 21/11/2018 :
Our company has a SIG account, so I have registered for a user account, to be able to fetch documentation and ask questions.

Best regards,
Frank

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz

[...]

In the document: https://www.zephyrproject.org/building-a-qualified-ble-controller-with-zephyr-os-1-9/

at the end this is mentioned:

“Note that Nordic’s qualification will only cover the BLE Controller, which means that whichever Host is used for a particular design will have to be qualified independently.”

What does this really imply for us? Is there an official procedure from the SIG or some other authority that must be followed. Is this documented somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Frank

Re: Zephyr BLE Controller Nordic HW no longer related to SoftDevice?

frv

Hi Carles,

Great! Thanks for your confirmation on my observations regarding the Nordic SoftDevice and the Zephyr implementation.

I think for a BLE host (central role) implementation we will forward for the 2 boards solutions, running on the BLE host board a Linux OS that uses a BLE SW framework (e.g. QT BLE) that is BlueZ based and using the Nordic HW board as connectivity chip, the BLE controller based on Zephyr.

Nevertheless if Nordic's PC BLE driver SW stack becomes more mature and stable it might also be a solution.
However my experience with running Zephyr on the Nordic nRF52 is so far great, so it will be hard to move back to the "serialization solution" of Nordic that is also nice.

Best regards,
Frank

Re: Zephyr BLE Controller Nordic HW no longer related to SoftDevice?

Carles Cufi

Hi Frank,

The SoftDevice is Nordic’s proprietary BLE protocol stack. It consists of a binary blob that is flashed at the beginning of the flash memory and can be accessed through SV calls, and it is designed to be the arbitrator to control access to certain hardware on the chip. This is incompatible with Zephyr, which already includes a completely different BLE stack which is open source and located in subsys/bluetooth/.

So the answer to your first question is that the SoftDevice cannot be combined with Zephyr, and you should not need to do so since Zephyr already has its own BLE stack.

The answer to the second question is also “yes”. The SoftDevice doesn’t expose an HCI interface, making it unsuitable for use as a BLE Controller, which is what BlueZ requires. Zephyr on the other hand can be built to expose an HCI interface (hci_uart) to work with BlueZ.

Carles