From: Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa [mailto:vinayak.kariappa.chettimada@...]
Sent: Monday, March 4, 2019 3:50 PM
To: Isaac Chen (
陳尚航) <Isaac_Chen@...>; Tommy Lin (林志聰) <Tommy.Lin@...>; Ryan Erickson <Ryan.Erickson@...>; Jamie Mccrae <Jamie.Mccrae@...>; zephyr-devel@...
Cc: Hanyu.Hsu@...; Ryan Hsu (
徐振鋒) <Ryan.Hsu@...>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] LE pair disconnected

Hi,

Could you please provide the btmon HCI logs?

Regards,

Vinayak

From: "Isaac Chen (陳尚航)" <Isaac_Chen@...>
Date: Monday, 4 March 2019 at 8:01 AM
To: "Tommy Lin (
林志聰)" <Tommy.Lin@...>, Ryan Erickson <Ryan.Erickson@...>, Jamie Mccrae <Jamie.Mccrae@...>, Vinayak Chettimada <vinayak.kariappa.chettimada@...>, "zephyr-devel@..." <zephyr-devel@...>
Cc: "Hanyu.Hsu@..." <Hanyu.Hsu@...>, "Ryan Hsu (
徐振鋒)" <Ryan.Hsu@...>

Hi Zephyr team,

We can find this issue on nRF51 DK and our custom board with zephyr source code(samples/bluetooth/hci_uart). Could you give us your advice on how to solve this issue?

Best Regards

Isaac Chen

Quanta Computer Inc.

Business Unit 11 BL1

Tel  : +886-3-327-2345 Ext : 17585

This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressed recipient and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, any use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please kindly notify the sender and delete this message immediately.

We use zephyr source code(samples/bluetooth/hci_uart) , and type following commands:

After then , we can find out device(named “2019bt”) in our phone , and we can pair it.

But “2019bt” will be disconnected after about two second at connected.

Could you give us some suggestions

Thank  You.

Re: Seeing and running what CI does (was: CODEOWNERS check in CI)

Marc Herbert

On 3 Mar 2019, at 09:09, Nashif, Anas <anas.nashif@intel.com> wrote:

2. As the opposite experience, I also got for another work in progress / hack / draft PR:
Documentation build with 'make htmldocs' failed.
... and that's it; no logs or error message whatsoever, just this line. I have some guesses of what fails in CI while everything works for me (it is a documentation _hack_) but zero information on what exactly or how.
2. & 3. https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/13805

Still unclear.

A python exception happens in this case, you can always reproduce it locally by running 'make htmldocs'.

As I wrote above "make htmldocs" works for me, this PR is actually
an htmldocs demo.

I am not sure how useful would it be putting the python exception...

It would point at the difference(s) between my environment and
CI = the vast majority of CI failures when testing locally and
thoroughly first.

Again I do have a couple of educated guesses about these differences
(help NOT desired here yet) but they're just that: guesses. No proof.

... in the comments.

Not in the comments but behind some kind of "Details" button with all
the rest of the logs and commands that produced them; exactly like
Shippable (and only Shippable now) does.

Having some smart "error analyzer" summarizing in the github comments
how it understood the unexpected failure would be cool. However it's not
mutually exclusive with sharing complete logs and commands as most
successful CIs do.

Re: LE pair disconnected

Which version of Zephyr are you using? 1.13 or the latest master?

Isaac Chen (陳尚航) <Isaac_Chen@...>

[...]

Nashif, Anas

2. As the opposite experience, I also got for another work in progress / hack / draft PR:
>> Documentation build with 'make htmldocs' failed.
>> ... and that's it; no logs or error message whatsoever, just this line. I have some guesses of what fails in CI while everything works for me (it is a documentation _hack_) but zero information on what exactly or how.
>>

> Still unclear.

A python exception happens in this case, you can always reproduce it locally by running 'make htmldocs'. This used to generate no reports at all previously, so progress. I am not sure how useful would it be putting the python exception in the comments.

Anas

On 01/03/2019, 20:03, "Herbert, Marc" <marc.herbert@intel.com> wrote:

Quick update.

> 1. [*] "yay!"... except it's not clear why tests run by Shippable are not deterministic: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/13803 randconfig maybe? I digress.

Non-determinism found and explained: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/13973

Thanks to the reviewers for the very quick reviews.

> 2. As the opposite experience, I also got for another work in progress / hack / draft PR:
> Documentation build with 'make htmldocs' failed.
> ... and that's it; no logs or error message whatsoever, just this line. I have some guesses of what fails in CI while everything works for me (it is a documentation _hack_) but zero information on what exactly or how.

Still unclear.

> 3. In the same draft PR as 2. I "forgot" a license header in a temporary file. While it does not provide the command and log, the zephyrbot told me in very nice terms what was wrong. What's still confusing however is why the zephyr-ci-tools/scripts/check_compliance.py [-m Licence] script which I did run before pushing keeps telling me everything is fine and didn't save me the round trip time (and embarrassment). A typo would also cost (another) round-trip. This script really looks like the check zephyrbot runs but... it's apparently not or not quite?

Mystery solved: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/ci-tools/pull/25

Another mystery being fixed by Ulf: CODEOWNERS failing locally but not in CI
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/ci-tools/pull/23

> Any layer of indirection in CI creates distance between developers and CI and makes developers care less about failures that don't affect them directly. Developers are not "consumers" and the vast majority seems to prefer having too much information than too little and solve problems by themselves but if the only option they have is not to care about some failures then they don't.
>
> There may be reasons for not all CI details to be available and/or easy to reproduce but they don't apply to stuff like building docs or license checks or other simple sanitycheck.
>

> 1. https://app.shippable.com/github/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/runs/35577
> 2. & 3. https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/13805

Re: BUGS (Zephyr v1.14.0-rc1) Feb 26 2019

Marti Bolivar <marti@...>

Hi Kumar,
On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 7:39 AM Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@linaro.org> wrote:

256:bug

121:priority: medium
103:priority: low
8:priority: high
This list is useful -- would you mind also including links to the
relevant GitHub filters in these emails, so devs can drill down on
what they need to fix individually?

I think those are in here:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/wiki/Filters

I'm not 100% sure, though, since wiki pages tend to go stale.

22:Coverity
21:platform: NXP
18:area: Networking
17:area: Bluetooth
14:platform: nRF
14:area: Logging
13:area: MISRA-C
12:area: Drivers
11:area: Tests
11:area: Kernel
10:area: ARM
8:platform: ESP32
8:area: Xtensa
8:area: Memory Protection
7:area: Watchdog
7:area: Documentation
6:area: Shell
6:area: Samples
6:area: ARC
5:area: USB
5:area: Sockets
5:area: I2C
4:area: Toolchains
4:area: Testing
4:area: Power Management
4:area: File System
3:area: west
3:area: UART
3:area: Timer
3:area: PWM
3:area: POSIX
3:area: NIOS2
3:area: Device Tree
3:area: Counter
3:API
2:platform: STM32
2:good first issue
2:area: Security
2:area: Sanitycheck
2:area: SPI
2:area: Portability
2:area: Other
2:area: GPIO
2:area: Display
2:area: Conformance
2:area: Boards
1:to do
1:platform: ATMEL
1:area: mcumgr
1:area: Testing Suite
1:area: PCI
1:area: OpenThread
1:area: OTA
1:area: Memory Management
1:area: LWM2M
1:area: Kconfig
1:area: IPC
1:area: Flash
1:area: Ethernet
1:area: Debugging
1:area: Crypto / RNG
1:area: Console
1:area: Configuration System
1:area: C Library
1:area: Build System
1:LTS
1:EXT

Re: debug with mcuboot

Marti Bolivar <marti@...>

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 9:12 AM David Brown <david.brown@linaro.org> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 01:46:18AM -0700, robert.konc@controlmatik.eu wrote:

How could I create image that will be signed that mcuboot will recognise it as
valid image.
I wuild like to sign image with imgtool.py in ninja script after build (target
all) was succesfull.
This seems to have gone unanswered.
I somehow have trouble believing the date stamp on the original email.
Clogged internet pipes, perhaps.

For my use, I've always had an "outer" makefile that invokved the
cmake and ninja build on the Zephyr target (as well as mcuboot), and
then used imgtool.py and possibly assemble.py to make my resulting
image.

This probably could be added to the Zephyr build, at least the signing
part, but solving the multi-image build is possibly more an area for
something like West to solve.
Multi-image build is a build system issue, not a west issue. Nordic is
working on this, for reference:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/compare/master...hakonfam:mulit_image_mcuboot_support

Also just FYI, west already supports building, signing, and flashing
MCUboot images. For example:

# Build and flash MCUboot itself for reel_board
west build -b reel_board -s mcuboot/boot/zephyr/ -d build-mcuboot
west flash -d build-mcuboot/

# Build and flash hello_world as an MCUboot chain-loadable image
west build -b reel_board -s zephyr/samples/hello_world/ -d build-hello
-- -DCONFIG_BOOTLOADER_MCUBOOT=y
west sign -t imgtool -d build-hello/ -- --key mcuboot/root-rsa-2048.pem
west flash --hex-file zephyr.signed.hex -d build-hello/

The above assumes your runner prefers flashing .hex files, which is
true of nrfjprog and pyocd at least. You can do it with .bin files too
but it's a little more annoying and I'd like to deprecate some of the
command line flags.

The value of "west sign -t imgtool" compared to using imgtool directly
is that it pulls the values for the --align, --header-size, and
--slot-size options out of the build directory by inspecting Kconfig
and device tree output files.

This will become even more of an issue with multiple images beyond
just the bootloader, such as multiple CPUs or a trusted execution
environment (TF-M style).
Hopefully something like the above can continue working in these
contexts, suitably extended if necessary.

David

Re: CMake comments to HTML? (PR #9947 CMake build architecture documentation)

Marc Herbert

There's an actual (and draft) PR now in case anyone else is interested in following this: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/13805

Still just a demo.

Off the list now.

From: <devel@...> on behalf of Marc Herbert <marc.herbert@...>
Date: Monday, 11 February 2019 at 20:46
To: "Nashif, Anas" <anas.nashif@...>, "devel@..." <devel@...>
Cc: "Kinder, David B" <david.b.kinder@...>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] CMake comments to HTML? (PR #9947 CMake build architecture documentation)

Thanks Anas!

Correct no PR yet, sorry for the confusion. This is still at the early prototype stage however there's already a demo git commit - the one that produced the screenshot - linked from https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/9947 and it should work "out of the box" on Linux. Ideas, suggestions and any other kind of feedback from anyone somewhat familiar with CMake or Sphinx and brave enough to review a few TODOs, FIXMEs and other question marks would be great already, thanks in advance. Github supports commenting on volatile commits for implementation details but higher level discussions are probably best "centralized" in an issue: 9947 or some (new?) other?

Cheers,

Marc

From: "Nashif, Anas" <anas.nashif@...>
Date: Monday, 11 February 2019 at 16:50
To: Marc Herbert <marc.herbert@...>, "devel@..." <devel@...>
Cc: "Kinder, David B" <david.b.kinder@...>

I think this looks great.

9947 is not a PR, it is an enhancement issue, got me confused for a second. So it is an open enhancement issue with not PR associated with it, if you have something , send a PR please.

Anas

Date: 11 February 2019 at 16:21:45 GMT-8

This is what the above commit produces:

You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.

[...]

David Brown

[...]

Re: k_poll_signal_raise linker error

Ramakrishna Pallala <ramakrishna.pallala@...>

Issue resolved.

From: Marc Herbert <marc.herbert@...>
Date: Monday, 25 February 2019 at 22:28
To: "Nashif, Anas" <anas.nashif@...>, Björn Stenberg <bjorn@...>, "devel@..." <devel@...>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Seeing and running what CI does (was: CODEOWNERS check in CI)

Hi,

A couple things I find confusing:

- There's only the ("beautified") output but not the commands that produced them as is typical in CI, so no obvious indication of what to do to test the next git push and make sure it will actually fix the issues before pushing again.

- The comments with the output are typically some distance away from the red/green "traffic lights" with unrelated stuff in between

- The "Details" buttons on the other hand *are* in the traffic lights and seem really designed to point at the output, I think most people expect them to but they point at the documentation instead.

> you do not have to look at the actual CI log which might be verbose and misleading

Well (most of) the actual CI log is or should be what one gets anyway when running the sanitycheck / compliance.py / etc. scripts locally so if that output is confusing then users will just submit patches to make it better (as I just did) and keep everything consistent.

The less difference and distance between users and CI, the better.

> The actual output is always available in a comment posted by zephyrbot in the same PR. The comment is updated for every run

It's interesting that this comment preserves some review history unlike the aggressive way the "traffic lights" in particular and github in general rewrite and bury review history. So this is Good but unfortunately inconsistent with (Bad) github so a bit confusing again. For instance it's difficult to relate the history of this comment to the corresponding git pushes and commits.

> We are planning at some point to use the Checks API from GH which would make things more clear.

Do you know some other (unrelated) project(s) to look at that already use this API?

Marc

From: "Nashif, Anas" <anas.nashif@...>
Date: Monday, 25 February 2019 at 17:18
To: Marc Herbert <marc.herbert@...>, Björn Stenberg <bjorn@...>, "devel@..." <devel@...>

Status is actually available as a comment in the PR. We are planning at some point to use the Checks API from GH which would make things more clear.

The scripts now provide the output so you do not have to look at the actual CI log which might be verbose and misleading. If any information is missing in the comments posted by CI, please let us know.

Anas

From: <devel@...> on behalf of Marc Herbert <marc.herbert@...>
Date: Monday, 25 February 2019 at 17:28
To: Björn Stenberg <bjorn@...>, "devel@..." <devel@...>

Hi Björn,

I asked this question on Slack some time back and Anas answered it's not possible (yet?) for various reasons, one of them related to github accounts and security.

Fortunately something even more useful is already possible: running the checks yourself. Just run this compliance_script.py script:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/ci-tools/tree/master/scripts

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/ci-tools/pulls

I know run this script *before* uploading anything to github as it obviously saves round trips and time.

You also need the "sanitycheck" script in the other, main repo.

I think sanitycheck is mentioned in the online documentation and the check_compliance about to be.

On a related CI topic, here's why the code coverage report is very often bogus:

https://github.com/codecov/codecov-bash/issues/83 thumbs up to "vote" for it

Cheers,

Marc

From: <devel@...> on behalf of Stenberg <bjorn@...>
Date: Monday, 25 February 2019 at 00:09
To: "devel@..." <devel@...>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] CODEOWNERS check in CI

Can we please make the "Details" links for these checks show the actual output of the check command, rather than the current generic information about why the check exists?

--

BUGS (Zephyr v1.14.0-rc1) Feb 26 2019

Kumar Gala

256:bug

121:priority: medium
103:priority: low
8:priority: high

[...]

William Fish

Hi,
I'm new to this and struggling with BLE Mesh provisioning and need help, I am using Micro-bit (nrf51) which struggle to provision via BlueZ meshctl as they have such little memory hence i am attempting to configure the mesh within the application.

All appears okay with subscriptions and I can send unsolicited massages () but i haven't managed to configure a model to publish. When i run the following I get a -16 error (EBUSY 16    /* Mount device busy */)

Any help appreciated.

Billy..
    /* Add Sensor Server model Publisher */
    err = bt_mesh_cfg_mod_pub_set(net_idx, addr, addr,
                    BT_MESH_MODEL_ID_SENSOR_CLI, &pub, NULL);

1941 - 1960 of 7688