Date

API meeting: Agenda

This week we will look at:

- GPIO: Update on progress
- Look at the PRs with driver conversion
- Check the timeline
- Debouncing: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/19649
- Legacy interrupt config: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/19552
- Workaround proposed: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/19553

- Sensor API: Update on progress (if the involved parties are present)

Re: DATA_DTCM and NETWORKING Hello World

Jukka Rissanen

Hi Alessandro,

could you create github issue about the slowness of the networking
stack, we can then discuss more about the issue there.

Cheers,
Jukka

On Thu, 2019-10-03 at 04:06 -0700, alessandro.moroni@...
wrote:
Hello, thanks for the reply.

I can't compile with CONFIG_DATA_OCRAM (I guess because I'm using
version 2.0.0 and not the last of Zephyr). I will try to update it
but my main problem is another.

My final goal is a comparison between my bare-metal webserver (using
raw lwip + mbedtls) and a webserver created with Zephyr (using
sockets).

I don't understand why the bare-metal version is much faster than the
zephyr version. The example "samples/net/sockets/dumb_http_server"
takes about 350ms to serve a request. I thought it was because of the
external SDRAM but using it in my bare metal, the performance doesn't
drop so much.

In the bare-metal version, HTTP requests are much faster than HTTPS
(as I expected).
On Zephyr, HTTP requests take 350ms while HTTPS are very variable but
often they are even less than 350ms! (I can't explain the reason).

Do you have any idea of the reason?

I apologize for the off-topic, if it is a problem I will create a
different discussion.

Best Regards,
Alessandro.

Re: Power Management

Adam Podogrocki

Stefan, Erwan

thank you for your feedback

Cheers,
Adam

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 at 17:36, Erwan Gouriou <erwan.gouriou@...> wrote:
Hi Adam,

We've started to push briks to enable power management on STM32.
Two first PRs are:
- https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/18582 that enable LPTIMER to enable a tick source in sleep states.
- https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/14066 that provides a first power management driver

This work, limited to L4 series for now, has limitations but allowed to have a sense of what will be required in order to provide a more complete power management solution. For now, main know limitations are:
- Limited to fixed clock (HSI, ..) since there is no way right now to restart PLL after sleep more
- GPIO low power is not handled, nor other peripheral PM management is available.
- No generic way to set up wake up source

I plan to create an umbrella ticket to draw a roadmap and list implemented tickets and next steps.
Also we're looking all work that has been done on timers that are likely to be of interest on that path.

Hope this gives you a better idea of what is available.

Cheers
Erwan

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 at 15:21, Adam Podogrocki <a.podogrocki@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am looking forward to some description or a hint how to utilize Power Management in STM32L0/L4 MCU family. System will work in power constraint environment. I've seen some HAL based approaches. Just wonder if Zephyr can provide similar functionality.

Are samples like "boards->nrf52->power_mgr" or "subsys->power->device_pm" all I need to investigate?

I will appreciate some general overview.

Regards,
Adam

Re: Zephyr 1.14.1 tagged

Nashif, Anas

The 1.14.1 docs are here: https://docs.zephyrproject.org/1.14.1/

We still need to update the indexes everywhere to point to the new dot release.

David, where should this be changed? (show 1.14.1 instead of 1.14.0)

Anas

On 07/10/2019, 14:15, "Pushpal Sidhu" <psidhu.devel@...> wrote:

Hi Marc,

On 10/7/19, Herbert, Marc <marc.herbert@...> wrote:
> Extremely useful workaround:
>
> https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/commits/v1.14-branch
> \-> https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/19639
>
> \->https://builds.zephyrproject.org/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/19639/docs/index.html
>
> This works for any pull request! I don't whether this is documented, I
> sort-of "reverse-engineer" the link every time I need it.
>
> Ideally the "All checks have passed" section would link directly to it.

That's awesome and useful, thanks!

- Pushpal

Re: Zephyr 1.14.1 tagged

Pushpal Sidhu

Hi Marc,

On 10/7/19, Herbert, Marc <marc.herbert@...> wrote:
Extremely useful workaround:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/commits/v1.14-branch
\-> https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/19639

\->https://builds.zephyrproject.org/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/19639/docs/index.html

This works for any pull request! I don't whether this is documented, I
sort-of "reverse-engineer" the link every time I need it.

Ideally the "All checks have passed" section would link directly to it.
That's awesome and useful, thanks!

- Pushpal

Re: Zephyr 1.14.1 tagged

Marc Herbert

This is great, thank you. I had a question on the documentation - I
can't seem to find the 1.14.1 docs. I see
https://docs.zephyrproject.org/1.14.0/, just no 1.14.1. Is the 1.14.0
documentation recent with 1.14.1, or will new documentation be coming
soon?

Extremely useful workaround:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/commits/v1.14-branch
\-> https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/19639
\->https://builds.zephyrproject.org/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/19639/docs/index.html

This works for any pull request! I don't whether this is documented, I
sort-of "reverse-engineer" the link every time I need it.

Ideally the "All checks have passed" section would link directly to it.

Re: Zephyr 1.14.1 tagged

Pushpal Sidhu

Hi Anas,

On 10/6/19, Nashif, Anas <anas.nashif@...> wrote:
Hi,
We are pleased to announce that we have tagged the first 1.14 maintenance
release with fixes, as well as Bluetooth
qualification listings for the Bluetooth protocol stack included in Zephyr.

All details and the list of bugs that have been fixed in this release are
available here:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/releases/tag/zephyr-v1.14.1

Thank you everyone who participated creating this release.

This is great, thank you. I had a question on the documentation - I
can't seem to find the 1.14.1 docs. I see
https://docs.zephyrproject.org/1.14.0/, just no 1.14.1. Is the 1.14.0
documentation recent with 1.14.1, or will new documentation be coming
soon?

Thanks,
- Pushpal

Re: Power Management

Erwan Gouriou

[...]

Power Management

Adam Podogrocki

Hi everyone,

I am looking forward to some description or a hint how to utilize Power Management in STM32L0/L4 MCU family. System will work in power constraint environment. I've seen some HAL based approaches. Just wonder if Zephyr can provide similar functionality.

Are samples like "boards->nrf52->power_mgr" or "subsys->power->device_pm" all I need to investigate?

I will appreciate some general overview.

Regards,
Adam

Zephyr 1.14.1 tagged

We are pleased to announce that we have tagged the first 1.14 maintenance release with fixes, as well as Bluetooth
qualification listings for the Bluetooth protocol stack included in Zephyr.

All details and the list of bugs that have been fixed in this release are available here:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/releases/tag/zephyr-v1.14.1

Thank you everyone who participated creating this release.

Re: PR #17628: sys_heap benchmarks?

Christopher Friedt

On Sat., Oct. 5, 2019, 10:24 a.m. Andy Ross, <andrew.j.ross@...> wrote:
This hasn't merged yet and was never the backend for malloc() or
k_mem_pool, are you pulling it locally and writing code to its internal API?

Oh weird - I was on the developer call last week and everyone agreed it would be merged. Is there a merge window then?

Have you tried a simple git bisect over your tree to look for other
culprits?

I have but no luck so far.

In any case, are there some benchmarks available for it?

Re: PR #17628: sys_heap benchmarks?

Andy Ross

This hasn't merged yet and was never the backend for malloc() or k_mem_pool, are you pulling it locally and writing code to its internal API?

Have you tried a simple git bisect over your tree to look for other culprits?

Andy

On 10/5/19 6:58 AM, Christopher Friedt wrote:
Recently a sys_heap change went into zephyr

The PR says that it's faster, but I'm seeing some behaviour that would
suggest that's not the case.

The reason I bring it up, is that I had ported a certain protocol
subsystem over from an external repository (in my fork, atm). That
subsystem made heavy use of malloc. I rebased just a couple of days
ago (no other changes), and now I'm experiencing a fair amount of
timeouts when using the protocol that I did not experience before.
I've had to increase buffer sizes, etc.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of malloc usage in communication code,
but I'm just kind of dealing with the code that I inherited.

Does anyone have some benchmarks on the new allocator? I'd really like
to have a look if that information is available.

PR #17628: sys_heap benchmarks?

Christopher Friedt

Recently a sys_heap change went into zephyr

The PR says that it's faster, but I'm seeing some behaviour that would
suggest that's not the case.

The reason I bring it up, is that I had ported a certain protocol
subsystem over from an external repository (in my fork, atm). That
subsystem made heavy use of malloc. I rebased just a couple of days
ago (no other changes), and now I'm experiencing a fair amount of
timeouts when using the protocol that I did not experience before.
I've had to increase buffer sizes, etc.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of malloc usage in communication code,
but I'm just kind of dealing with the code that I inherited.

Does anyone have some benchmarks on the new allocator? I'd really like
to have a look if that information is available.

Re: NRF52840 select clock source from external XTAL HFXO

jim@...

Something like this should work:

struct device *clk_dev = device_get_binding(DT_INST_0_NORDIC_NRF_CLOCK_LABEL "_16M");
clock_control_on(clk_dev, (void *)1);

Jim

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 09:25 AM, Alexis Cogrel <alexis.cogrel@...> wrote:

Hello Zephyr Community,

We work on board based on NRF52840 using zephyr. We are encountering problems to communicate with a device using UARTE at 9600 bit/s.

We observe that the current speed is not properly at 9600 bit/s. We observe a shift error around 2%. When we program the UARTE properly at 9600 bit/s by setting BAUDRATE register value, the communication is good with our device.

To our mind, the shift error is due to the clock source (HFCLOCK) from internal (HFINT tolerance typ 1.5% to 8% max) is selected by default and we would like to use clock from external crystal (HFXO) for better performance.

Currently, setting clock source from external crystal seems to be not easily and maybe not implemented yet. Is the driver available?

If yes someone can help me to set clock source to external XTAL (HFXO)?

Regards,

Alexis COGREL

Embedded software engineer

www.stimio.fr

[...]

Re: how to get the verbose output the check the compile details using west?

Bolivar, Marti

The "west -vvv build" line is correct, but will potentially enable a lot
more verbose output than is desired. The -v option can be given multiple
times, and west build includes compiler output when it's given just one.

You can just do "west -v build ..." if the compiler lines are what you
need. The "full" -vvv output is usually only helpful when debugging west
itself.

"Cufi, Carles via Lists.Zephyrproject.Org"
<carles.cufi=nordicsemi.no@...> writes:

Even simpler:

west -vvv build samples/hello_world