From: devel@... <devel@...> On Behalf Of Robert Lewicki via Lists.Zephyrproject.Org
Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2019 11:27 AM
To: devel@...
Cc: devel@...
Subject: [Zephyr-devel] Supported devices

I sent an email previously and after going into the project and looking at the list of supported products, it seems as if the NXP i.MX RT1010 is not yet supported although the 1020 and others are.
Any ide when the 1010 would be supported, and how can I help? Can I try the 1020?
Thanks

Robert

EEPROMs as first-class devices in Zephyr

Henrik Brix Andersen

Hi all,

I have submitted and RFC for adding an EEPROM API to Zephyr RTOS here:

The idea behind this is a simple, byte-oriented API for EEPROM devices.

I have been implementing drivers for generic SPI EEPROMs (AT25xxx compatible) and I2C EEPROMs (AT24xxx compatible) under the Zephyr flash API, but it just doesn't feel right.

The EEPROM drivers need to implement the full flash API (What to do on erase? NO-OP? Write 0xFF to "erased" bytes thus affecting lifetime negatively? Something else?) and this type of devices generally aren't fit as backends for the various subsystems in Zephyr currently supporting the flash API as backend (e.g. the settings subsystem) due to assumptions about page layout and erase.

I would like to hear any comments and/or suggestions on how to approach integrating EEPROM devices in as first-class devices in Zephyr.

Comments and ideas are most welcome. Please submit them as comments to the Github issue in order to keep the conversation there.

Best regards,
Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen

Supported devices

Robert Lewicki <rlewicki@...>

I sent an email previously and after going into the project and looking at the list of supported products, it seems as if the NXP i.MX RT1010 is not yet supported although the 1020 and others are.
Any ide when the 1010 would be supported, and how can I help? Can I try the 1020?
Thanks
Robert

Usage of optional 'erase-block-size' flash nodes property

Erwan Gouriou

Hi all,

Optional property 'erase-block-size' is used to describe the minimum size of flash sector on which an erase operation could be applied. It is generated as a device tree generic define DT_FLASH_ERASE_BLOCK_SIZE (made generic through the use of chosen 'zephyr,flash').
It is optional since, on some parts (stm32f4, for instance), flash layout is made of several sectors of variable size and hence it cannot be provided.

So here is the issue since, on one side, we have a zephyr generic define, and on the other side, we have parts on which it does not exist. Problem is that it could happen that people use it in generic zephyr components, while it is not a generic property (cf last example: [1]).

Another issue with this define is that it appears to be simple and handy to use, but it is actually misleading since it is only available on embedded flash. So any flash based application, if trying to use it will fail on external flash.
Flash API actually provides an alternate, robust and generic 'flash_area_get_sectors' that will provide the same information with few more computations. And this is the solution to be used.

Unfortunately, there is no automatic way to prevent people using misleading DT_FLASH_ERASE_BLOCK_SIZE.

So the question I'm raising to you is how to avoid facing this issue every 3 months.
Once idea would be to remove it, but it is actually used in device specific embedded flash drivers where it does make sense.

If you're interested, don't hesitate to answer this mail, comment in related issue [1] or join dev_meeting next week.

Thanks
Erwan

Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting - Thu, 10/17/2019 8:00am-9:00am, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

Reminder: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

When: Thursday, 17 October 2019, 8:00am to 9:00am, (GMT-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:https://zoom.us/j/993312203

https://zoom.us/j/993312203

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,993312203# US (San Jose)
+16465588656,,993312203# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        +1 877 369 0926 US Toll-free
        +1 855 880 1246 US Toll-free
Meeting ID: 993 312 203

Simultaneous BLE and ShockBurst #shockburst #ble #nrf52840

Mike DiClaudio

In my application, I need to use the nrf52840 for both BLE (as the controller) and ShockBurst. Specifically, it's the nrf52840 on the nrf9160 if it matters. I'm using the zephyr BLE stack and things are working well, but now I need to add the capability for the device to send occasional SB transmissions (send only, not receive). Do I need to manage the protocols sharing the radio, or is that handled by zephyr/nordic drivers?

following up on GPIO API - GH18530

Jennifer M Williams

@Cufi, Carles and @topic-gpio folks

Here’s some feedback I got for the drivers we discussed this morning for https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/18530

  1. altera_nios2 – suggest to drop from this list, no owner at this time for this convert driver effort.
  2. Pcal9535a – it’s on our radar, but unassigned at this time.

Thanks,

Jen

Calculating Log() in Zpehyr

William Fish

Help please,
Does Zephyr have a logarithm function?

Thanks;
Billy..

Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: APIs - Tue, 10/15/2019 9:00am-10:00am, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

Reminder: Zephyr Project: APIs

When: Tuesday, 15 October 2019, 9:00am to 10:00am, (GMT-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:https://zoom.us/j/177647878

Or iPhone one-tap :
    US: +16465588656,,177647878# or +16699006833,,177647878#
Or Telephone:
    Meeting ID: 177 647 878

API meeting: agenda

This week we will look at:

- V4Z: Update on the state of the Pull Request, should we merge it?

- GPIO: Update on progress
- Look at the PRs with driver conversion (https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/18530)
- Check the timeline
- Any additional outstanding PRs to topic-gpio

Re: #nrf52 #custom_board #nrf52 #custom_board

leslieli@2ytech.cn

Hi ibraxim,

Try add below line in your prj.conf, it might solve your problem.

CONFIG_BOARD_ENABLE_DCDC=n

leslieli@...

From: ibraxim
Date: 2019-10-11 18:20
To: devel
Subject: [Zephyr-devel] #nrf52 #custom_board
Hello everyone,

I have a custom board based on the QIAA layout, when i try to flash the bluetooth beacon example from the zephyr samples directory, the board does not advertise at all(the board also doesn't work with other examples either). testing the same example on a similar board such as the nrf52840_pca10059 dongle, the application works perfectly.

please note that when using examples from the NRF5 SDK to flash this custom board, they work fine with no problem.

I'm flashing this board with the bootloader option set to n as it does not have one.

any help on how to progress from here is really appreciated

Re: #nrf52 #custom_board #nrf52 #custom_board

Tom Burdick

One other issue I just recalled was related to the console and not having a UART properly setup and pinned out, for my custom board I ended up using a USB console which worked out well.

Beyond that it would be hard to say without I think having my hands on the board.

Cheers,

Tom

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 6:19 AM <ibraxim@...> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have a custom board based on the QIAA layout, when i try to flash the bluetooth beacon example from the zephyr samples directory, the board does not advertise at all(the board also doesn't work with other examples either). testing the same example on a similar board such as the nrf52840_pca10059 dongle, the application works perfectly.

please note that when using examples from the NRF5 SDK to flash this custom board, they work fine with no problem.

I'm flashing this board with the bootloader option set to n as it does not have one.

any help on how to progress from here is really appreciated

Re: #nrf52 #custom_board #nrf52 #custom_board

Tom Burdick

Hi,

A few questions I think will help myself or others answer this easier...

I'm assuming you are able to flash the board

Are you using the same clock setup and crystal freqs as the dev board your basing this on?
Are you using the same dcdc regulator configuration?

Its been awhile since I brought up my own customer nrf52 board, but I recall having to tweak the DCDC option
SOC_DCDC_NRF52X for my first version of it since I ended up opting for external DCDC power management, and I recall
that leading to some issues.

Cheers

Tom

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 6:19 AM <ibraxim@...> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have a custom board based on the QIAA layout, when i try to flash the bluetooth beacon example from the zephyr samples directory, the board does not advertise at all(the board also doesn't work with other examples either). testing the same example on a similar board such as the nrf52840_pca10059 dongle, the application works perfectly.

please note that when using examples from the NRF5 SDK to flash this custom board, they work fine with no problem.

I'm flashing this board with the bootloader option set to n as it does not have one.

any help on how to progress from here is really appreciated

Re: Call for help: SAM0 GPIO driver

Peter A. Bigot

Assuming nobody more qualified speaks up I do have a D21 Xplained Pro and will give a shot at converting the driver this weekend.  People with D20 and R21 variant hardware would be helpful in testing it.

Peter

Call for help: SAM0 GPIO driver

As you all know we are currently transitioning to a new GPIO driver API.
With this transition comes the need to port all existing GPIO drivers to the new API, and work for this is currently ongoing.

We have, however, identified a driver that currently has no one assigned to for its port to the new API: SAM0.

We therefore ask for help to all users that either can do the porting work or can test the work on real hardware.
If we cannot find anyone soon we might be forced to drop support for this platform, since we cannot wok on a driver that we do not know well nor have hardware for.

Progress is documented in this issue:

Thanks in advance,

Carles

major sanitycheck changes merged

Nashif, Anas

A complete overhaul of the sanitycheck script and how we build and run
tests. This new version of sanitycheck uses python for job distribution and
drops use of Make.

In addition to the move to python threading library, the following has
been changed:

  • All handlers now run in parallel, meaning that any simulator will run
    in parallel and when testing on multiple devices (using
    --device-testing) the tests are run in parallel.
  • Lexical filtering (using the filter keyword in yaml files) is now
    evaluated at runtime and is no long being pre-processed. This will allow
    us to immediately start executing tests and skip the wait time that was
    needed for filtering.
  • Device testing now supports multiple devices connected at the same
    time and is managed using a hardware map that needs to be generated and
    maintained for every test environment. (using --generate-hardware-map
    option).
  • Reports are not long stored in the Zephyr tree and instead stored in
    the output directory where all build artefacts are generated.
  • Each tested target now has a junit report in the output directory.
  • Recording option for performance data and other metrics is now
    available. This will allow us to record the output from the console and
    store the data for later processing. For example benchmark data can be
    captured and uploaded to a tracking server.
  • Test configurations (or instances) are no longer being sorted, this
    will help with balancing the load when we run sanitycheck on multiple
    hosts (as we do in CI).

And many other cleanups and improvements...

Anas

#nrf52 #custom_board #nrf52 #custom_board

ibraxim@...

Hello everyone,

I have a custom board based on the QIAA layout, when i try to flash the bluetooth beacon example from the zephyr samples directory, the board does not advertise at all(the board also doesn't work with other examples either). testing the same example on a similar board such as the nrf52840_pca10059 dongle, the application works perfectly.

please note that when using examples from the NRF5 SDK to flash this custom board, they work fine with no problem.

I'm flashing this board with the bootloader option set to n as it does not have one.

any help on how to progress from here is really appreciated

Cancelled Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting - Thursday, 10 October 2019 #cal-cancelled

Cancelled: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Thursday, 10 October 2019
8:00am to 9:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/993312203

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/993312203

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,993312203# US (San Jose)
+16465588656,,993312203# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        +1 877 369 0926 US Toll-free
        +1 855 880 1246 US Toll-free
Meeting ID: 993 312 203

Re: [EXT] [Zephyr-devel] from 1.14 to 2.0.99 zephyr/ext/hal folders

Andrei Gansari

Hello Alessandro,

nxp_hal was moved outside zephyr repo, you need to do “west update” to get the external repo.

Zephyr project will know how to link that repository.

If you have changes made there in your personal project, you can merge them to this new path:

zephyr/../modules/hal/nxp/

Regards,

Andrei Gansari