Date
Re: hci_uart application with flow control disable #uart #samples #ble #hci #nrf52480

Mayank

Hi Johan,

Should i go with the Hardware flow control as enable to solve the buffer flow issue ? Not using HWFC could have any other adverse effect?

As my current implementation is based on flow control as disabled, from processor side i have written beacon scanning application which scans beacons for 10 secs and then immediately flushes the UART buffer. So is it sufficient or still it would be better to go with the HWFC.

Thanks,
Mayank

Re: hci_uart application with flow control disable #uart #samples #ble #hci #nrf52480

Johan Hedberg

Hi Mayank,

On 18. Feb 2020, at 11.29, Mayank <@mayank_patel> wrote:
I have a doubt regarding one of the sample application of zephyr (samples/bluetooth/hci_uart).
This 'hci_uart' application has Hardware flow control enable by default in its nrf.conf file. (CONFIG_UART_0_NRF_FLOW_CONTROL=y)

I have build this sample app with CONFIG_UART_0_NRF_FLOW_CONTROL=n. So, i have only configured Tx, Rx from zephyr side.

I have one custom board based on IMX6ULL processor, and on that i have connected nordic's nRF52840 chip over UART ( Flashed nRF52840 with above mentioned hci_uart application).
Purpose: To scan BLE beacons for 10 seconds, Sleep for 10 sec, Scan for 10 sec, and so on (Continuous).

From processor side also i have disabled the hardware flow control (Hence,Only using Tx, Rx).

Q1: As i'm not using HW flow control, Can i have any flow control related problem if there will be more number of devices/beacons available for the scanning.
You might get lucky with disabling hardware flow control, however this standard HCI transport officially requires it (see Vol 4, Part A section 3 in Bluetooth Core Specification 5.2).

Q2: Can i implement software flow control in hci_uart application ? If yes then how?
Yes, but it should be its own application rather than an extension of samples/bluetooth/hci_uart. The standard HCI transport for UART in the situation where you don’t have hardware flow control available is is called the Three-wire UART transport protocol and you can find it in Vol 4, Part D of the Bluetooth Core Specification 5.2. We don't currently have a sample application for this, but a contribution would be very welcome. We do have an HCI driver in drivers/bluetooth/hci/h5.c, but that’s the host side implementation of this transport (you’re interested in the controller side).

Q3: What is the meaning of this flag in zephyr confiuration : CONFIG_BT_HCI_ACL_FLOW_CONTROL?
I don’t think I can explain it any better than its Kconfig documentation (please read it if you haven’t!), but it’s not something that’s directly relevant for you regarding the UART setup, since ACL flow control is a higher level construct. Since you’re doing a controller-only build you may want to enable it (the host can then later choose if it wants to use it or not), but this is not going to help you with the HCI transport situation.

Johan

Re: hci_uart application with flow control disable #uart #samples #ble #hci #nrf52480

lairdjm

Hi,

> Q1: As i'm not using HW flow control, Can i have any flow control related problem if there will be more number of devices/beacons available for the scanning.

Yes, that is the purpose of flow control, to prevent one device sending data when the over side is unable to handle it. Will you see that issue? We can’t give you an answer to that, it’s application, area and hardware dependant e.g. if your main CPU has a UART buffer size of 16 bytes and is busy with a critical task, the nRF52840 could then send e.g. 20 bytes of data and overflow the UART buffer, then when your CPU is finished with the critical task, it’s lost at least 4 bytes.

> Q2: Can i implement software flow control in hci_uart application ? If yes then how?

The hardware flow control is actually handled in-hardware on the nRF52840, it does not have hardware to support software flow control so if you wanted to add that, you’d have to create all the code for it

Thanks,
Jamie

EXTERNAL EMAIL: Be careful with attachments and links.

Hi All,

I have a doubt regarding one of the sample application of zephyr (samples/bluetooth/hci_uart).
This 'hci_uart' application has Hardware flow control enable by default in its nrf.conf file. (CONFIG_UART_0_NRF_FLOW_CONTROL=y)

I have build this sample app with CONFIG_UART_0_NRF_FLOW_CONTROL=n. So, i have only configured Tx, Rx from zephyr side.

I have one custom board based on IMX6ULL processor, and on that i have connected nordic's nRF52840 chip over UART ( Flashed nRF52840 with above mentioned hci_uart application).
Purpose: To scan BLE beacons for 10 seconds, Sleep for 10 sec, Scan for 10 sec, and so on (Continuous).

From processor side also i have disabled the hardware flow control (Hence,Only using Tx, Rx).

Q1: As i'm not using HW flow control, Can i have any flow control related problem if there will be more number of devices/beacons available for the scanning.
Q2: Can i implement software flow control in hci_uart application ? If yes then how?
Q3: What is the meaning of this flag in zephyr confiuration : CONFIG_BT_HCI_ACL_FLOW_CONTROL?

NOTE: Currently i'm not observing any problem while scanning around 70 beacons exists in the surrounding environment.

hci_uart application with flow control disable #uart #samples #ble #hci #nrf52480

Mayank

Hi All,

I have a doubt regarding one of the sample application of zephyr (samples/bluetooth/hci_uart).
This 'hci_uart' application has Hardware flow control enable by default in its nrf.conf file. (CONFIG_UART_0_NRF_FLOW_CONTROL=y)

I have build this sample app with CONFIG_UART_0_NRF_FLOW_CONTROL=n. So, i have only configured Tx, Rx from zephyr side.

I have one custom board based on IMX6ULL processor, and on that i have connected nordic's nRF52840 chip over UART ( Flashed nRF52840 with above mentioned hci_uart application).
Purpose: To scan BLE beacons for 10 seconds, Sleep for 10 sec, Scan for 10 sec, and so on (Continuous).

From processor side also i have disabled the hardware flow control (Hence,Only using Tx, Rx).

Q1: As i'm not using HW flow control, Can i have any flow control related problem if there will be more number of devices/beacons available for the scanning.
Q2: Can i implement software flow control in hci_uart application ? If yes then how?
Q3: What is the meaning of this flag in zephyr confiuration : CONFIG_BT_HCI_ACL_FLOW_CONTROL?

NOTE: Currently i'm not observing any problem while scanning around 70 beacons exists in the surrounding environment.

Re: make menuconfig for STM32MP157 activating STM32Cube ?

Erwan Gouriou

Hi,

Can you check following readme section and see if it answers your point?

Cheers
Erwan

Le sam. 15 févr. 2020 à 17:45, <friedtj@...> a écrit :
I am building https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/logicanalyser (RPMSG
and VirtIO example for the STM32MP157 using OpenAMP) for Zephyr and have been
facing the issue of linking with the STM32Cube library functions.

I am using the external arm-none-eabi-gcc compilation toolchain under
Debian/GNU Linux with
export ZEPHYR_TOOLCHAIN_VARIANT=cross-compile
export CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/bin/arm-none-eabi-

The tree structure I have (west init && cd zephyr && west update)
has created modules/hal/stm32/stm32cube/ at the same level than zephyr.

This ST example relies heavily on the STM32Cube framework I had to link with.
I achieved a functional result by adding in my CMakeLists.txt the following statement

target_sources(app PRIVATE src/main.c src/rpmsg_hdr.c src/openamp.c src/mbox_ipcc.c src/rsc_table.c src/copro_sync.c $ENV{ZEPHYR_BASE}/../modules/hal/stm32/stm32cube/stm32mp1xx/drivers/src/stm32mp1xx_hal_dma.c $ENV{ZEPHYR_BASE}/../modules/hal/stm32/stm32cube/stm32mp1xx/drivers/src/stm32mp1xx_hal_gpio.c $ENV{ZEPHYR_BASE}/../modules/hal/stm32/stm32cube/stm32mp1xx/drivers/src/stm32mp1xx_hal_rcc_ex.c  $ENV{ZEPHYR_BASE}/../modules/hal/stm32/stm32cube/stm32mp1xx/drivers/src/stm32mp1xx_hal_ipcc.c $ENV{ZEPHYR_BASE}/../modules/hal/stm32/stm32cube/stm32mp1xx/drivers/src/stm32mp1xx_hal_cortex.c $ENV{ZEPHYR_BASE}/../modules/hal/stm32/stm32cube/stm32mp1xx/drivers/src/stm32mp1xx_hal_tim_ex.c  $ENV{ZEPHYR_BASE}/../modules/hal/stm32/stm32cube/stm32mp1xx/drivers/src/stm32mp1xx_hal_pwr.c  $ENV{ZEPHYR_BASE}/../modules/hal/stm32/stm32cube/stm32mp1xx/drivers/src/stm32mp1xx_hal_tim.c)

following the advice I read at
https://github.com/intel/zephyr/tree/master/ext/hal/st/stm32cube
stating

"Plus add HAL driver file (when needed):
obj-$(CONFIG_SERIAL_HAS_DRIVER) += stm32yyxx/drivers/src/stm32yyxx_hal_uart.o"

This is most probably *not* the right way and hence my question to this list:
if I wish to activate these functions in STM32Cube, make menuconfig in the build directory
shows
-*- <HAS_STM32CUBE>
in red, but then all other subsystems (eg - - <USE_STM32_HAL_DMA> or
- - <USE_STM32_HAL_IPCC>) which I believe would fill the cmake configuration
file properly are disabled and cannot be enabled. I fail to understand what
option prevents me from activating these functionalities.

Could anyone explain what I am doing wrong in this configuration ?

Thank you, Jean-Michel

Re: add pyocd user scripy cause pylint issue

FrankLi

Thanks mbolivar give the solution:
# 'target' is global
# pylint: disable=undefined-variable

make menuconfig for STM32MP157 activating STM32Cube ?

friedtj@...

[...]

SDK 0.11.2 Release

Some fixes based on usage of SDK v0.11.x and addition of some new xtensa variants to enable work from the Sound Open Firmware Project (https://www.sofproject.org).

The SDK can be found here:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/sdk-ng/releases/tag/v0.11.2

Please download and try things out and report any issues.

• Fixed issue with setjmp/longjmp not existing on x86 32-bit build

• Fixed python support on GDB:
NOTE: Since python support is enabled in GDB the host system needs
python3.6 installed. Otherwise you might get an error like:

arm-zephyr-eabi-gdb: error while loading shared libraries: libpython3.6m.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

On newer fedora systems this can show up and be fixed by:

sudo dnf install python36

• Added support for Intel BDW and BDW Audio DSP xtensa toolchains.

• Added support for NXP IMX8 and IMX8M Audio DSP xtensa toolchains.

• Updated xtensa targets to GDB 8.3.1 (except S1000)

Thanks to all that contributed fixes and enhancements to this version of the SDK.

- k

Re: Getting Started Guide

Tommy Lin (林志聰) <Tommy.Lin@...>

Hi Andrew

Sorry, I have attached btmon log to Attachment.

I have found a similar problem as following:

https://lists.zephyrproject.org/g/users/topic/unable_to_set_static_address/20399648?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,20399648

following up above link , I don’t set the static address manually , but it show an abnormal behavior after auto-power

root@localhost:~# btattach -B /dev/serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_Quad_RS232-HS-if01-port0 -S 1000000 -P h4 &

[1] 4014

Attaching Primary controller to /dev/serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_Quad_RS232-HS-if01-port0

root@localhost:~# Switched line discipline from 0 to 15

Device index 0 attached

root@localhost:~# btmgmt --index 0

[hci0]# auto-power

Waiting for index 0 to appear

[hci0]#

Can Zephyr Kernel: 2.2.0 support nRF51 chip ?

Thank You,

Tommy