Date

Re: API meeting: Agenda

Carlo Caione

On 20/09/2021 22:07, Carles Cufi wrote:
Hi all,
Agenda for tomorrow:
- Pinctrl: Now focusing on #37572 as the single PR to target our efforts
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/37572
- Updates by Gerard and Kumar on the state of the PR
- Discussion, specifically Devicetree layout format: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/discussions/35077#discussioncomment-1201394
If you have additional items please let me know.
Hey Carles,
can we talk about https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/38609 as well?

Thank you,

--
Carlo Caione

Custom driver Power Management in Zephyr

Srinivasan Tamilarasan

Hi,

In our SoC, Few drivers(uart, dma, trng, gpio etc) use Zephyr device model  and there are few drivers (wakeup timer, radio etc) does not use the zephyr driver. In that case the how to control the non zephyr driver (custom drivers) for the power management? For example Radio driver is outside of zephyr device driver sub system. In that case how to switch on or off the radio when the low power mode is entered in zephyr power management sub system?

Regards,

Srinivasan

API meeting: Agenda

Carles Cufi

SDK 0.13.1 Release

There is a new SDK 0.13.1 release. This is mainly a bug fix release with the main aspect pulling in fixes for an ARM CVE w/GCC, v8m, and trustzone.

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2021-35465

Latest version of the SDK can be found here:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/sdk-ng/releases/tag/v0.13.1

Please download and try things out and report any issues.

• gdb:

• Fix ELF file format support issue on MacOS
• newlib:

• Fixed Xtensa malloc failure issue reported in zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr#38258.
• gcc:

• Pull in patches for Arm-GCC-CVE-2021-35465
• qemu:

• Allow setup of ARC's "virt" board memory size

Thanks to all that contributed fixes and enhancements to this version of the SDK.

- k

Now: Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group - 09/20/2021 #cal-notice

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <noreply@...>

Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group

When:
09/20/2021
3:00pm to 4:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: Torsten Rasmussen

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 682 738 030#

Event: Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group - 09/20/2021 #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <noreply@...>

Reminder: Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group

When:
09/20/2021
3:00pm to 4:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: Torsten Rasmussen

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 682 738 030#

Zephyr v2.7.0-rc2

Christopher Friedt

We are pleased to announce Zephyr 2.7.0-rc2 \o/

I'm going to nickname this release "Spoon Boy". That's not in any
official capacity. It just happens to be close to when The Matrix 4
trailer was released.

"Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try
to realize the truth..
There is no spoon.. it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself."
-- Spoon Boy, The Matrix, 1999

This is the second release candidate in our stabilization period and
brings several bug-fixes and additional tests. Please see the release
page below for a full list of changes between v2.7.0-rc1 and
v2.7.0-rc2.

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/releases/tag/v2.7.0-rc2

Just as a reminder, there are currently a disproportionate amount of
low-priority issues. The good news is that we have done very well to
keep on track for high priority and medium priority issues. For anyone
that has a few free cycles, please look at open issues that are
assigned to you and please consider picking off any low-hanging fruit
in the coming week.

I also wanted to say a special thank-you to Maureen Helm for all of
her contributions to Zephyr under the NXP umbrella. We're very
fortunate that Maureen will continue on as a member of the Zephyr
community as Sensor Driver Maintainer and Collaborator on the ARM
architecture.

David Leach is taking over maintainership for NXP from here on, so
thank-you to you as well David.

Lastly, thanks to all who contributed to this release!

Re: Dev-Review Meeting Agenda Sept 16th

Bolivar, Marti

Minutes are up in the usual place:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15KUINNj7Re0GQiWYpqKvO5jgDw8oiQv3SGJfNHGaPOU/edit#heading=h.g794p090kv26

There was no time for pinctrl.

"Kumar Gala via lists.zephyrproject.org"
<kumar.gala=linaro.org@...> writes:

ipc_service: Introduce RPMsg multi-core backend:
- https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fzephyrproject-rtos%2Fzephyr%2Fpull%2F38328&;data=04%7C01%7Cmarti.bolivar%40nordicsemi.no%7Cac683a04bcc74e02473f08d9790f6a2c%7C28e5afa2bf6f419a8cf6b31c6e9e5e8d%7C0%7C0%7C637673929392905101%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=TZnuuSAxvqFEixd6SpRsqpMeEb4r3NgHl%2Bs18efAaMI%3D&amp;reserved=0

drivers: regulator: convert to gpio_dt_spec
- https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fzephyrproject-rtos%2Fzephyr%2Fpull%2F37689&;data=04%7C01%7Cmarti.bolivar%40nordicsemi.no%7Cac683a04bcc74e02473f08d9790f6a2c%7C28e5afa2bf6f419a8cf6b31c6e9e5e8d%7C0%7C0%7C637673929392905101%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=0xBpqO3o3%2Fj48ZvSgZwJdAgPl5fJ14pPDCABRbuNFGA%3D&amp;reserved=0

Pinctrl - devicetree if we feel like it...

Plus anything anyone else has.

- k

Re: Why do_swap() sets cpu.current before context switch?

Yasushi SHOJI

Hi Katsuhiro and Andy,

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 7:52 PM Katsuhiro Suzuki
<katsuhiro@...> wrote:
On 2021/09/09 10:41, Yasushi SHOJI wrote:
On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 12:01 AM Katsuhiro Suzuki <katsuhiro@...> wrote:
On 2021/09/08 16:22, Yasushi SHOJI wrote:
On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 10:23 AM Katsuhiro Suzuki <katsuhiro@...> wrote:
Why do you `use _current_cpu` at all? `_arch_switch()` or
`arch_switch()` on the main branch takes
both new and old thread handles.
Because to keep consistency for another context switching (by preemption) and
other interrupts.
Only _current_cpu.current is available when an interrupt occurred.
The reason why we set _current to the new thread is that we can't set it after
we switch to the new thread. The newly switched thread will just start
running from
the point it left off. Otherwise, we have to make sure that each and
every arch must
set _current to the new thread in `arch_switch()`.
Hmm... It seems that in CONFIG_USE_SWITCH=n case (ex. aarch32(*)) _current_cpu.current
is updated by software interrupt handler.
(*) arch/arm/core/aarch32/swap_helper.S

So I wonder that why CONFIG_USE_SWITCH=y changed strategy to update current thread.
Ah, OK. I didn't answer your question at all. And I don't have the answer.

Andy, would you mind telling us if you have any comments about the
rationale behind this?

--
yashi

Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting - 09/16/2021 #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <noreply@...>

Reminder: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

When:
09/16/2021
3:00pm to 4:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 483 314 739#

RFC: API Change: IPM

Carlo Caione

Hello,
as part of the procedure to request a stable API change, here it is the RFC issue link:

Ciao!

--
Carlo Caione

Dev-Review Meeting Agenda Sept 16th

Kumar Gala

ipc_service: Introduce RPMsg multi-core backend:

drivers: regulator: convert to gpio_dt_spec

Pinctrl - devicetree if we feel like it...

Plus anything anyone else has.

- k

coap client server not provisioning #samples

Makavaz

I have two Nrf52840 boards. One of them is flashed with open Thread Coap server and the other with Coap client. I have been trying to pair this two boards for a while, but could not succeed, I do not know what I am doing wrong. Please help.

Event: Zephyr Project: APIs - 09/14/2021 #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <noreply@...>

Reminder: Zephyr Project: APIs

When:
09/14/2021
4:00pm to 5:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 317 990 129#

Re: Why do_swap() sets cpu.current before context switch?

Katsuhiro Suzuki

Hello,

<katsuhiro@...> wrote:
[...]

At an IRQ, you know the `_current` is the currently executing thread and you can
get a new thread from ready_q, if needed.
At explicit switch, you are given both old and new threads.
So in both cases, we _can_ implement the switch.
Right and agree with you. If this is intentional behavior and we encourage
CONFIG_USE_SWITCH=y case to separate from old code, I want to follow it.
I don't have any claim to current context switching specification, just want to
know "why changed?".

I agree that we need to do similar things for arch_switch and irq, and
love to use
exact same code for both, but it might be better to have separate code for
each situation. Or, at least use .macro to construct parts of it.
ps. Unfortunately, unlike the Linux kernel, we don't have any way to
get the thread struct
from a stack pointer, IIRC.
Yeah, this is Zephyr. Not Linux :)

just my 2 cents,
Best Regards,
Katsuhiro Suzuki

Re: Why do_swap() sets cpu.current before context switch?

Katsuhiro Suzuki

Hello,

On 2021/09/09 1:14, Andy Ross wrote:
On 9/8/2021 8:08 AM, Katsuhiro Suzuki wrote:
RISC-V's FPU arch has the flag to permit/forbid using FPU. In Zephyr, this flag is set to
forbid side if thread was declared as not using FPU. And CPU raise interrupt when using
any FPU instruction at FPU forbidden state.
Can't you just check that flag in the context switch code?  It seems like that would be faster on average (most DSP workloads try very hard to avoid doing synchronous context switches to avoid the need to spill all that state), and have much better latency guarantees (taking an exception is REALLY expensive!).
I can check it directly. I think this is future work to achieve more faster switching
than now. At this point, I want to implement most conservative one..

Andy
Best Regards,
Katsuhiro Suzuki

API meeting: agenda

Carles Cufi

Event: Zephyr Memory Footprint - biweekly discussion - 09/13/2021 #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <noreply@...>

Reminder: Zephyr Memory Footprint - biweekly discussion

When:
09/13/2021
3:00pm to 4:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Working doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bnQLJKVhgI3zkk3MsSXun8onEsA8z1Rf5ohdbCHASmU/edit#heading=h.x36xe8bnwr9r

Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app
Click here to join the meeting
Or call in (audio only)
+1 321-558-6518,,546018126# United States, Orlando
Phone Conference ID: 546 018 126#

Re: Event: Zephyr Memory Footprint - biweekly discussion - 08/30/2021 #cal-reminder

Rob Woolley

Here are the minutes from our last meeting: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bnQLJKVhgI3zkk3MsSXun8onEsA8z1Rf5ohdbCHASmU/edit#

I don’t have any agenda items for today.  As we discussed last week, I propose we cancel today’s meeting in favour of meeting again on September 27th.

Have a great day,

Rob

[Please note: This e-mail is from an EXTERNAL e-mail address]

Reminder: Zephyr Memory Footprint - biweekly discussion

When:
08/30/2021
3:00pm to 4:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Working doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bnQLJKVhgI3zkk3MsSXun8onEsA8z1Rf5ohdbCHASmU/edit#heading=h.x36xe8bnwr9r

Microsoft Teams meeting

Join on your computer or mobile app

Click here to join the meeting

Or call in (audio only)

+1 321-558-6518,,546018126# United States, Orlando

Phone Conference ID: 546 018 126#

HX711 support

Today during a Discord conversation a user mentioned that support for the HX711 is currently in Pull Request form, but progress has stalled. I glanced through the PR and it seems to me that it needs a bit of work, but other users mention that they would like to see this merged.

If anyone with access to the hardware and the willingness to push this forward is up to the task, here is the original PR from Georgios: