Date
Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting - Thu, 07/09/2020 3:00pm-4:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

Reminder: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

When: Thursday, 9 July 2020, 3:00pm to 4:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 483 314 739#

Re: Dev-Review Meeting Agenda Jul 9

Peter A. Bigot

Two items for dev-review:
* https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/26025#issuecomment-656044858 against https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/26750#discussion_r452120857 and the question of whether optional API should be declared or not relative to use of `if (IS_ENABLED())`.  This may also be appropriate for API.
* https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/24794#pullrequestreview-444964843

Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group - Thu, 07/09/2020 #cal-notice

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <noreply@...>

Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group

When:
Thursday, 9 July 2020
2:00pm to 3:00pm
(GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 682 738 030#

Upcoming Event: Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group - Thu, 07/09/2020 2:00pm-3:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

Reminder: Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group

When: Thursday, 9 July 2020, 2:00pm to 3:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: Maureen Helm

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 682 738 030#

Dev-Review Meeting Agenda Jul 9

Kumar Gala

Here’s the agenda topics for this week:

* Any PR/issues w/dev-review tag

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/labels/dev-review

* Any topics anyone else has.

- k

Zephyr Toolchain Working Group Meeting – 09 July 2020

Rasmussen, Torsten

Agenda

  • Updates:
  • Short term goals, way forward
    • Dedicated toolchain test cases.
    • Label PR for automatic execution of CI Toolchain test cases

Feel free to send a mail, if you would like additional topics to be discussed.

Best regards

Torsten T. Rasmussen

Live meeting minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IQKBK-GcJNZG0O9QArqYfvb6Huk5xHscN-XIGEZr-z8/edit#heading=h.x36xe8bnwr9r

Join Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)

Conference ID: 682 738 030#

Torsten Tejlmand Rasmussen

Senior R&D Engineer

P: +47 72 89 92 47

Nordic

Nordic Semiconductor

Otto Nielsens veg 12, 7052 Trondheim, Norway

www.nordicsemi.com

SM_symbol_FB  nordic_symbol_small_TW  nordic_symbol_small_YT_ny2  nordic_symbol_small_IN

DevZone

Re: Post 2.3.0 PR merging

Simon Glass

Hi Anas,

Less scientifically I just did some reviews and perhaps half of them already had one approval. So presumably they were blocked. I guess you are saying it's only a third. OK. But that's a lot. Also with two reviewers, people can be somewhat less careful...

How do you deal with the case of people being happy with it but wanting review from someone else before approving? I saw a few where it seemed no one would take the plunge.

Regards,
SImon

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 at 12:57, Nashif, Anas <anas.nashif@...> wrote:

Hi,

Here some data…

What I have just posted on slack…

So, go do some reviews please 😊

From: <devel@...> on behalf of Carles Cufi <carles.cufi@...>
Date: Tuesday, 7 July 2020 at 06:42
To: Simon Glass <sjg@...>
Cc: "devel@..." <devel@...>, "users@..." <users@...>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Post 2.3.0 PR merging

Hi Simon,

Not to my knowledge, no. But perhaps Ioannis or Anas know if it’s also documented elsewhere.

Regarding the “stamp of approval” that was mentioned earlier in the thread, I think we could adopt a middle ground. If the person with merge rights is reasonably knowledgeable about the area of the change, and understands the implications, their +1 could count even if they are not a maintainer. I feel that in many cases this could unblock PRs without compromising the quality of the code being merged.

Carles

Am 06.07.2020 um 22:20 schrieb Simon Glass <sjg@...>:

Hi Carles,

OK I see. Since you called out the 2-approver change as a cause of the bottleneck, I'm assuming there is data available on this.

I was looking around for discussion about the decision. The closest I found was here. Is there something else?

Regards,

SImon

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 12:23, Cufi, Carles <Carles.Cufi@...> wrote:

Hi Simon,

A decision like that would need to go through the TSC, and in order to be able to vote we’d need to have clear stats on how many PRs are actually blocked by this policy. I was thinking about this recently, and given that those in Zephyr with merge rights can in fact add their +1 and they typically rely on a maintainer’s review to decide whether to merge a PR or not, this might not have as big as an impact as I originally thought.

That said, I believe we need a new GitHub filter to help us. Right now, we have one that lists PRs that are approved, passing CI and ready to merge, but what we need is one that shows all PRs that are partially approved (i.e. a single +1) and passing CI. Then those of us with merge rights could go over those regularly (like we do for the former) and, provided there’s a +1 from a maintainer, we could take one additional look at the PR, approve it and merge it.

I’d very much like to hear the opinion of others with merge rights in this thread.

We currently have 170+ Pull Requests that pass CI but require one or more approvals in order to be merged, in part due to the fact that we have increased the minimum number of approvals required from 1 to 2.

Perhaps given the situation this should be reversed?

Regards,

Simon

Help reviewing those PRs is greatly appreciated:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+base%3Amaster+review%3Arequired+status%3Asuccess+-label%3ADNM+draft%3Afalse

Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: APIs - Tue, 07/07/2020 4:00pm-5:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

Reminder: Zephyr Project: APIs

When: Tuesday, 7 July 2020, 4:00pm to 5:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 317 990 129#

Steval drone flight control support

Brenton Chetty

Hi, I've noticed that the steval_fcu001v1 board is supported on Zephyr, however I could not find an example with the flight control software. Does anyone know if any work has been done with regards to this integration. If not, could you please point me in the right direction with regards to how to integrate flight control with zephyr.

With regards
Brenton

Re: Post 2.3.0 PR merging

Carles Cufi

[...]

API meeting agenda: 2020-07-07

Peter A. Bigot

Carles has asked me to stand in for him again in coordinating this week's API telecon.

Topics include:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/26305 adding mode flags to fs_open

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/26173 detecting Arduino-style reset requests on CDC-ACM

I'd also like to run through the 19 items remaining in triage, moving some to To-Do, In-Progress, or On-Hold/Abandoned.  I've already moved the SFDP one to In-Progress; there are others that I think no longer need to be on the to-discuss queue.

Teams link: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_NWU2MjZlYWEtZDcwMi00MWQzLTgwMjEtNDdkYjQwMjBjMmFj%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22af0096d9-700c-411a-b795-b3dd7122bad2%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22841a7c92-7816-4faf-9887-5e334e88f6d8%22%7d

Re: Post 2.3.0 PR merging

Simon Glass

[...]

Re: [Zephyr-users] [Zephyr-devel] Post 2.3.0 PR merging

Nashif, Anas

Agreed. Those who can merge, should take 2 approvals and all other checks as a sign that it is ready to merge, no need for the approval of the person who merges, although a 3rd approval might give the PR a strong “Go”. This is actually what we agreed on 😊

Anas

From: <users@...> on behalf of Lawrence King <lawrence.king@...>
Date: Monday, 6 July 2020 at 15:41
To: Carles Cufi <carles.cufi@...>, Simon Glass <sjg@...>
Cc: "devel@..." <devel@...>, "users@..." <users@...>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-users] [Zephyr-devel] Post 2.3.0 PR merging

Hi Charles:

This just my personal opinion on the subject. Two approvals is the right thing to do and what the TSC approved earlier this year.

BUT, if the second +1 is just a rubber stamp approval of the maintainer’s +1 then there is no point having two approvals.

The second +1 should come from someone who is: knowledgeable in the area, has studied the changes, and approves.

Lawrence King

Principal Developer

+1(416)627-7302