Date

logging MACRO LOG_ERR/LOG_INF/LOG_DBG expansion issue

qzhang@...

Hi,

I am new to zephyr, I am reading the logging subsystem code and find that 'LOG_ERR/LOG_INF/LOG_DBG ..., etc.' will be expanded finally by below MACRO

looks like even I disable the logging (not set CONFIG_LOG), below code is still remained in the code after the preprocessing, Is my understanding correct or not? does it cause the code bloat?

/*****************************************************************************/
/****************** Macros for standard logging ******************************/
/*****************************************************************************/
#define Z_LOG2(_level, _source, _dsource, ...) do { \
if (!Z_LOG_CONST_LEVEL_CHECK(_level)) { \
break; \
} \
if (IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_LOG_MINIMAL)) { \
Z_LOG_TO_PRINTK(_level, __VA_ARGS__); \
break; \
} \
\
bool is_user_context = k_is_user_context(); \
uint32_t filters = IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_LOG_RUNTIME_FILTERING) ? \
(_dsource)->filters : 0;\
if (!LOG_CHECK_CTX_LVL_FILTER(is_user_context, _level, filters)) { \
break; \
} \
if (IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_LOG2)) { \
int _mode; \
void *_src = IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_LOG_RUNTIME_FILTERING) ? \
(void *)_dsource : (void *)_source; \
Z_LOG_MSG2_CREATE(UTIL_NOT(IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_USERSPACE)), _mode, \
  CONFIG_LOG_DOMAIN_ID, _src, _level, NULL,\
  0, __VA_ARGS__); \
} else { \
Z_LOG_INTERNAL(is_user_context, _level, \
_source, _dsource, __VA_ARGS__);\
} \
if (false) { \
/* Arguments checker present but never evaluated.*/ \
/* Placed here to ensure that __VA_ARGS__ are*/ \
/* evaluated once when log is enabled.*/ \
z_log_printf_arg_checker(__VA_ARGS__); \
} \
} while (false)

Br
Quan

problem porting Zephyr to new architecture (Renesas RX65N): architecture-specific GCC is adding leading underscores

Jan Peters

Hello all,

I'm part of a team that is porting Zephyr to Renesas RX65N processors, and we have encountered a bit of a problem. The GCC toolchain for the processor (available at https://llvm-gcc-renesas.com/) by default adds leading underscores to C-Symbols. These lead to problems with Zephyr Linker scripts and at least one build-script (gen_handles.py), which do expect symbols from C-code without these underscores. We have contacted the developers of the Renesas GCC and they told us that this a a common behaviour ("for 20 out of the 50 targets of the GCC"). Has this problem been encountered before with other toolchains used to build Zephyr ? Does anyone have an idea how it can be solved (using the GCC option -fno-leading-underscore leads to problems with gcclib, which does assume the leading undescores) ?

Thanks,

Jan

Re: Review of concept of changing UART flow control from Kconfig to DTS config

lairdjm

Hi Marti,
Let's say there is a board (all our boards are Nordic-based so this applies to all of them) which has a UART brought out to a header, the UART might be used for a multitude of things, it could be a debug port which is mostly unused, or it could be connected to a PC for exchanging a lot of data, or it could be connected to a shield, perhaps a modem, which does not have flow control pins - this is one board (and one .dts file) but with different requirements for flow control, in the old system this worked fine and flow control could be enabled or disabled on a per-project configuration or even by board/shield overlays (one board but many different projects). With the new system, that isn't possible, this requires unique board .dts files because you can no longer disable or enable flow control via a Kconfig option (yet strangely parity is still a Kconfig option, the change itself doesn't really make sense to me).
The issue is not that it is opt-in or opt-out, the issue is that it is opt-in at a DTS level (and thus a board level) and not opt-in at a project level. If we enable flow control for our board, we need to add overlays to every sample project for all of our boards whereby flow control isn't needed which becomes a mess.
Thanks,
Jamie