Date   

Event: Zephyr: Architecture WG - 08/09/2022 #cal-reminder

Group Notification <noreply@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr: Architecture WG

When:
08/09/2022
8:00am to 9:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: devel@...

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Description:

Meeting decisions/discussions in their respective PRs, tracked here: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/projects/18


________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 317 990 129#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Re: Architecture WG: Agenda

Carles Cufi
 

Additional item:

- device/drivers: RFC Update API sys, safer with multi iface
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/48817

-----Original Message-----
From: Cufí, Carles
Sent: 08 August 2022 17:58
To: devel@...
Subject: Architecture WG: Agenda

Hi all,

Agenda for tomorrow:

- Planned USB device/host support rework/enhancements for 2022
- Issue: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/42066

- drivers: clock_control: avoid calling device_is_ready() in API calls
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/48787

Any other items that are up for discussion.


If you have additional items please let me know.

Teams link: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-
join/19%3ameeting_NWU2MjZlYWEtZDcwMi00MWQzLTgwMjEtNDdkYjQwMjBjMmFj%40thr
ead.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22af0096d9-700c-411a-b795-
b3dd7122bad2%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22841a7c92-7816-4faf-9887-
5e334e88f6d8%22%7d

https://lists.zephyrproject.org/g/devel/calendar
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/projects/18

Minutes:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lv-
8B5QE2m4FjBcvfqAXFIgQfW5oz6306zJ7GIZIWCk/edit

Regards,

Carles


Architecture WG: Agenda

Carles Cufi
 


Now: Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group - 08/08/2022 #cal-notice

Group Notification <noreply@...>
 

Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group

When:
08/08/2022
8:00am to 9:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: Torsten Rasmussen

Description:

Live meeting minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11ENuzr2oDsHXa2FrHf0S3AQ2HncQbGBCU9F5sjTZUnI________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 682 738 030#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 


Event: Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group - 08/08/2022 #cal-reminder

Group Notification <noreply@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group

When:
08/08/2022
8:00am to 9:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: Torsten Rasmussen

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Description:

Live meeting minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11ENuzr2oDsHXa2FrHf0S3AQ2HncQbGBCU9F5sjTZUnI________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 682 738 030#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 


Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting - 08/04/2022 #cal-reminder

Group Notification <noreply@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

When:
08/04/2022
8:00am to 9:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: devel@...

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Description:

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 483 314 739#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Dev Review Agenda for Aug 4, 2022

Maureen Helm
 


Event: Zephyr: Architecture WG - 08/02/2022 #cal-reminder

Group Notification <noreply@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr: Architecture WG

When:
08/02/2022
8:00am to 9:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: devel@...

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Description:

Meeting decisions/discussions in their respective PRs, tracked here: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/projects/18


________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 317 990 129#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Event: Zephyr: Networking Forum - 08/02/2022 #cal-reminder

Group Notification <noreply@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr: Networking Forum

When:
08/02/2022
8:00am to 9:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: tsc@...

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Description:


________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 458 216 365#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Re: Architecture WG: agenda

Carles Cufi
 

Last minute addition:

- RFC: Changing the sys_clock interface to fix race conditions
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/48531

-----Original Message-----
From: Cufí, Carles
Sent: 02 August 2022 15:43
To: devel@...
Subject: RE: Architecture WG: agenda

Additional item:

- RFC: shell: utilize api_type to filter 'struct devices'
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/48434

-----Original Message-----
From: Cufí, Carles
Sent: 02 August 2022 13:53
To: devel@...
Subject: Architecture WG: agenda

Hi all,

Agenda for today:

- drivers/location: Add location API
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/48536

- drivers/gnss Add GNSS API
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/48553


Any other items that are up for discussion.


If you have additional items please let me know.

Teams link: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-
join/19%3ameeting_NWU2MjZlYWEtZDcwMi00MWQzLTgwMjEtNDdkYjQwMjBjMmFj%40thr
ead.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22af0096d9-700c-411a-b795-
b3dd7122bad2%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22841a7c92-7816-4faf-9887-
5e334e88f6d8%22%7d

https://lists.zephyrproject.org/g/devel/calendar
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/projects/18

Minutes:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lv-
8B5QE2m4FjBcvfqAXFIgQfW5oz6306zJ7GIZIWCk/edit

Regards,

Carles


Re: Architecture WG: agenda

Carles Cufi
 

Additional item:

- RFC: shell: utilize api_type to filter 'struct devices'
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/48434

-----Original Message-----
From: Cufí, Carles
Sent: 02 August 2022 13:53
To: devel@...
Subject: Architecture WG: agenda

Hi all,

Agenda for today:

- drivers/location: Add location API
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/48536

- drivers/gnss Add GNSS API
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/48553


Any other items that are up for discussion.


If you have additional items please let me know.

Teams link: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-
join/19%3ameeting_NWU2MjZlYWEtZDcwMi00MWQzLTgwMjEtNDdkYjQwMjBjMmFj%40thr
ead.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22af0096d9-700c-411a-b795-
b3dd7122bad2%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22841a7c92-7816-4faf-9887-
5e334e88f6d8%22%7d

https://lists.zephyrproject.org/g/devel/calendar
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/projects/18

Minutes:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lv-
8B5QE2m4FjBcvfqAXFIgQfW5oz6306zJ7GIZIWCk/edit

Regards,

Carles


Architecture WG: agenda

Carles Cufi
 


Re: Improved L2/L3 decoupling in IEEE 802.15.4 stack

Lubos, Robert
 

Hi Florian,

Generally, contributions are always welcome. We usually communicate over GitHub (you can either submit a PR directly or open an issue first to discuss ideas).

The truth is that 802.15.4 L2 is not the most popular module hence it did not receive too many contributions in the past. Definitely there is a room for improvements in there.
On the contrary, the OpenThread L2, also built on top of the 802.15.4 radio API is regularly updated/maintained. It's actually the OpenThread requirements that mostly shaped the low level 15.4 radio API into its current form. Please keep that in mind when working on the 15.4 L2, API breaking changes won't be accepted.

Kind Regards,
Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: devel@... <devel@...> On Behalf Of jerico.dev via lists.zephyrproject.org
Sent: poniedziałek, 1 sierpnia 2022 18:50
To: devel@...
Subject: [Zephyr-devel] Improved L2/L3 decoupling in IEEE 802.15.4 stack

Hi!

I'm currently trying to implement a non-IP custom protocol on top of zephyr's IEEE 802.15.4 MAC (L2) layer.

This requires me to...

1) implement additional 802.15.4 MAC service primitives from the 2015 standard, namely (some aspects of) RIT and/or TSCH,

2) rely on already implemented L2-features like CSMA plus most of the existing management commands, but

3) not depend on any IP-only features like 6LoWPAN.



While analyzing zephyr's source code with this goal in mind I realized that:

1) There are IEEE 802.15.4 "RAW" and "CUSTOM" L2 modes. Unfortunately both seem to exclude most of zephyr's generic IEEE 802.15.4 MAC implementation in [1] including those parts I'd like to re-use.

2) Parts of the IEEE 802.15.4 L2 implementation are coupled to IP-specific L3 concerns - namely 6LoWPAN fragmentation and header compression. This breaks L2 re-usability and encapsulation in my case.

3) There are some hurdles to overcome in order to add additional service primitives to the MAC layer:
* The "*_IEEE802154_RADIO_*" constants in Kconfig.radio and some L2
structs mix up PHY and MAC concerns.
* The internal L2/L1-API makes only partial or indirect reference to
IEEE 802.15.4 PHY/MAC service primitives. This is probably partially
required to maintain a common API across zephyr's L2
implementations. Nevertheless there seem to be a few opportunities
to improve readability, standards compliance and extensibility of
the stack while I'm on it.
* Some of the existing services are not yet fully 2015-standards
compliant.

Rather than patching zephyr locally, I'd prefer to contribute some of the more generic changes upstream.

It's just a weekend project on my part but I'm used to provide small iterative patches. I'd like to start with some low hanging fruits and let it grow as my availability allows.

*One thing that seems to be rather easy to achieve is improved L2/L3 decoupling by factoring 6LoWPAN aspects into conditionally included files.*

* Would such a first contribution be welcome?

* Would someone from the zephyr dev team be available as a sparrings partner to discuss architecture and integration issues?

* Some of my requirements are addressed in or related to [2]. Who owns these issues? Would these people be interested in collaborating?

Kind regards,

Florian

--

[1]
https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fzephyrproject-rtos%2Fzephyr%2Ftree%2Fmain%2Fsubsys%2Fnet%2Fl2%2Fieee802154&;data=05%7C01%7Crobert.lubos%40nordicsemi.no%7Cdc483f41d3cf4bf0d96408da73de9529%7C28e5afa2bf6f419a8cf6b31c6e9e5e8d%7C0%7C0%7C637949697086927429%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=z1Edg744yIkqD3jj69noIdJCjZvRZ520tNYigJ%2FONRY%3D&amp;reserved=0

[2] https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fzephyrproject-rtos%2Fzephyr%2Fissues%2F3710&;data=05%7C01%7Crobert.lubos%40nordicsemi.no%7Cdc483f41d3cf4bf0d96408da73de9529%7C28e5afa2bf6f419a8cf6b31c6e9e5e8d%7C0%7C0%7C637949697086927429%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=28b3NH0N4A8BGbJKi9600zA6Cktb7r54FXWtYmgGECg%3D&amp;reserved=0 (802.15.4 Soft MAC 2015 version support)


Improved L2/L3 decoupling in IEEE 802.15.4 stack

jerico.dev
 

Hi!

I'm currently trying to implement a non-IP custom protocol on top of zephyr's IEEE 802.15.4 MAC (L2) layer.

This requires me to...

1) implement additional 802.15.4 MAC service primitives from the 2015 standard, namely (some aspects of) RIT and/or TSCH,

2) rely on already implemented L2-features like CSMA plus most of the existing management commands, but

3) not depend on any IP-only features like 6LoWPAN.



While analyzing zephyr's source code with this goal in mind I realized that:

1) There are IEEE 802.15.4 "RAW" and "CUSTOM" L2 modes. Unfortunately both seem to exclude most of zephyr's generic IEEE 802.15.4 MAC implementation in [1] including those parts I'd like to re-use.

2) Parts of the IEEE 802.15.4 L2 implementation are coupled to IP-specific L3 concerns - namely 6LoWPAN fragmentation and header compression. This breaks L2 re-usability and encapsulation in my case.

3) There are some hurdles to overcome in order to add additional service primitives to the MAC layer:
* The "*_IEEE802154_RADIO_*" constants in Kconfig.radio and some L2
structs mix up PHY and MAC concerns.
* The internal L2/L1-API makes only partial or indirect reference to
IEEE 802.15.4 PHY/MAC service primitives. This is probably partially
required to maintain a common API across zephyr's L2
implementations. Nevertheless there seem to be a few opportunities
to improve readability, standards compliance and extensibility of
the stack while I'm on it.
* Some of the existing services are not yet fully 2015-standards
compliant.

Rather than patching zephyr locally, I'd prefer to contribute some of the more generic changes upstream.

It's just a weekend project on my part but I'm used to provide small iterative patches. I'd like to start with some low hanging fruits and let it grow as my availability allows.

*One thing that seems to be rather easy to achieve is improved L2/L3 decoupling by factoring 6LoWPAN aspects into conditionally included files.*

* Would such a first contribution be welcome?

* Would someone from the zephyr dev team be available as a sparrings partner to discuss architecture and integration issues?

* Some of my requirements are addressed in or related to [2]. Who owns these issues? Would these people be interested in collaborating?

Kind regards,

Florian

--

[1] https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/tree/main/subsys/net/l2/ieee802154

[2] https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/3710 (802.15.4 Soft MAC 2015 version support)


Networking Forum - August

Lubos, Robert
 

 

Hi all,

 

There are 2 topics in the agenda for tomorrow’s networking:

 

Please let me know if you want to add anything else to the agenda. Note, that we have a new “net-review” GitHub label, you can use it to mark GitHub issues/PRs that should be discussed during the forum.

 

Meeting notes:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qFsOpvbyLzhflJbbv4Vl__497pKHDoUCy9hjAveyCX0

 

Shared Folder:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1j6d0FLeOjiMil1Ellb59AsfHdzuWdAAc?usp=sharing

 

Teams meeting:
https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_NDU5ODRkNzktZDBmNC00MDg5LWI2OWEtNzM0MGZjMDU0Yjgw%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22af0096d9-700c-411a-b795-b3dd7122bad2%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22841a7c92-7816-4faf-9887-5e334e88f6d8%22%7d

 

Regards,
ROBERT LUBOS | Senior Firmware Engineer
M +48 504 088 482 | Krakow, Poland
nordicsemi.com | devzone.nordicsemi.com

Nordic_logo_signature

 


Cancelled Event: Zephyr Memory Footprint - biweekly discussion - Monday, August 1, 2022 #cal-cancelled

Group Notification <noreply@...>
 

Cancelled: Zephyr Memory Footprint - biweekly discussion

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Monday, August 1, 2022
8:00am to 9:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: devel@...

Description:
Working doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bnQLJKVhgI3zkk3MsSXun8onEsA8z1Rf5ohdbCHASmU/edit#heading=h.x36xe8bnwr9r

________________________________________________________________________________
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app
Click here to join the meeting
Or call in (audio only)
+1 321-558-6518,,546018126# United States, Orlando
Phone Conference ID: 546 018 126#
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Zephyr SDK 0.15.0-rc1 Pre-release

Stephanos Ioannidis
 

Hi,

Zephyr SDK 0.15.0-rc1 pre-release is now available for testing.

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/sdk-ng/releases/tag/v0.15.0-rc1

In this release, the GNU toolchain version has been updated:

* Updated to Binutils 2.38 release.
* Updated to GCC 12.1 release.
* Updated to GDB 12.1 release.

Please try it out and report if you find any issues:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/sdk-ng/discussions/530

The minimum required Zephyr SDK version in the main branch will be updated to
0.15.0 after its release (planned for the 2nd week of August).

If you have a downstream project tracking the Zephyr main branch, please make
sure that your CI infrastructure is ready for this change. If you use the
upstream CI Docker image in your project, you can use the image v0.24.0, which
contains the Zephyr SDK 0.15.0-rc1, for testing:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/docker-image/releases/tag/v0.24.0

When testing, please use the "topic-sdk15" branch, which contains the patches
required to make Zephyr build successfully using the Zephyr SDK 0.15.0:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/tree/topic-sdk15

Thanks,

Stephanos


Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting - 07/28/2022 #cal-reminder

Group Notification <noreply@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

When:
07/28/2022
8:00am to 9:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: devel@...

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Description:

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 483 314 739#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Dev Review Agenda for July 28, 2022

Kumar Gala <galak.kernel@...>
 


Now: Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group - 07/25/2022 #cal-notice

Group Notification <noreply@...>
 

Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group

When:
07/25/2022
8:00am to 9:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: Torsten Rasmussen

Description:

Live meeting minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11ENuzr2oDsHXa2FrHf0S3AQ2HncQbGBCU9F5sjTZUnI________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 682 738 030#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 

1 - 20 of 8629