Date

windows 10 new installation.

novello

Sorry I'm trying to install zephyr . But in the power shell  after the installation of the first step following:

When I install west .... it don't work.
I can't install it.
Best Regards
Novello G.

Re: Modbus: Support for user defined function codes

Henrik Lindblom

Hi Johann, thanks for the reply!

>> There are a few of reasons why having this feature would be nice:
>> - As of now, it seems that the full Modbus spec isn't implemented and
>> this would allow end users to work around that, if necessary.
>> - Modbus has specific function ranges for user defined features.
>> - Since Modbus is easy to extend, it's not uncommon to do so.

> There is a mandatory function from the spec that is not implemented? Which one?

Well, depends on how you look at it whether you'd consider it
mandatory. The spec
https://www.modbus.org/docs/Modbus_Application_Protocol_V1_1b3.pdf
section 5 p. 10 says that there are specific ranges of user-defined
function codes whose implementation is left to the vendor, referring
to device manufacturers. The existence of said ranges probably doesn't
count as a mandatory requirement for the software stack provider (in
this case Zephyr), but device vendors might consider it a requirement
when selecting a stack. Anyway, it's a nice feature to have.

> It could work, struct modbus_server_param should also be changed accordingly.
> And we would need test for this functionality.

I was originally thinking of adding a new API function in the lines of modbus_register_function(),
but adding a pointer to modbus_server_param is arguably simpler.

I haven't had the time to dig into the testing side of Zephyr. I guess the tests are written against QEMU?
If so, I might try to add a few tests next.

Btw, what's your preferred workflow with GitHub PRs? Mainly, should I open an issue before creating
a PR and who to add as reviewers? I scanned the maintainers file but couldn't find a suitable
section for Modbus.

Event: Zephyr: Power Management Sync - 10/21/2021 #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <noreply@...>

Reminder: Zephyr: Power Management Sync

When:
10/21/2021
6:00pm to 7:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams

Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app
Click here to join the meeting
Or call in (audio only)
+1 321-558-6518,,677440320# United States, Orlando
Phone Conference ID: 677 440 320#

FW: Zephyr Project: Contact Inquiry

Harshal Wadhwa <Harshal.Wadhwa@...>

Thursday, October 21, 2021
3:00pm to 4:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 483 314 739#

spi_sam0 driver

Raj Gundi

Hi All,

Is anyone actively using spi_sam0 driver in your applications? I tried enabling it on SAMD21_xpro but I am unable to see any activity on the SCK pin (tried both SERCOM0 and SERCOM5). The SCK pin transitions to HIGH upon plug and it stays there forever (instead of continuously toggling). The loopback test also failed (tests/drivers/spi/spi_loopback). Any idea if the driver is working?

Regards,

Raj

Event: Zephyr: Power Management Sync #cal-invite

Thursday, October 21, 2021
6:00pm to 7:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC
Repeats: Weekly on Thursday

Where:
Microsoft Teams

Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app
Click here to join the meeting
Or call in (audio only)
+1 321-558-6518,,677440320# United States, Orlando
Phone Conference ID: 677 440 320#

Cancelled Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting - Thursday, November 25, 2021 #cal-cancelled

Thursday, November 25, 2021
3:00pm to 4:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 483 314 739#

Cancelled Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting - Thursday, November 4, 2021 #cal-cancelled

Thursday, November 4, 2021
3:00pm to 4:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 483 314 739#

Re: Modbus: Support for user defined function codes

Johann Fischer

Hi,

Am 16.10.2021 20:43 schrieb Henrik Lindblom:
Hi!
I was wondering if there's any work being done to allow users to
extend Modbus by defining their own function codes (and handlers to
those)?
not yet.

I looked at the implementation in 2.6.0 and there is
MODBUS_RAW which sort of allows the user to define a callback to
handle arbitrary ADUs, but this is only for TCP (not really sure as to
why the limitation, though).
It is not limited to TCP and allows to use any transport backend than UART.
It is actually other end of the system.

I was tinkering around the codebase and
figured it would be easy enough to augment struct modbus_context to
include a list of user provided extensions that are tried if the PDU
has an unknown function code.
It could work, struct modbus_server_param should also be changed accordingly.
And we would need test for this functionality.

There are a few of reasons why having this feature would be nice:
- As of now, it seems that the full Modbus spec isn't implemented and
this would allow end users to work around that, if necessary.
- Modbus has specific function ranges for user defined features.
- Since Modbus is easy to extend, it's not uncommon to do so.
There is a mandatory function from the spec that is not implemented? Which one?

I implemented a quick hack which I'm still testing, but one thing that
I find a bit redundant in my approach is that MODBUS_RAW already
implements *almost* this functionality. The drawback IMO is that it
only allows a single callback to be defined, which ~works, but doesn't
allow users to benefit from the existing handler code, and makes the
API / Kconfig more confusing. I at least had no clue what MODBUS_RAW
was until I looked at the code. The optimal solution would be to
combine these two and remove the TCP only -restriction from
MODBUS_RAW.
As said MODBUS_RAW is another side of the system and has nothing to do with "FC handling" directly.

Johann

Event: Zephyr Project: APIs - 10/19/2021 #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <noreply@...>

Reminder: Zephyr Project: APIs

When:
10/19/2021
4:00pm to 5:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 317 990 129#

Re: Changes to project roles and github permissions

Nashif, Anas

Oops, sorry about the bad formatting, the correct link is https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/discussions/39437

Anas

On 2021-10-18, 4:36 PM, "devel@lists.zephyrproject.org on behalf of Nashif, Anas" <devel@lists.zephyrproject.org on behalf of anas.nashif@intel.com> wrote:

Hello,

The changes below will take effect today. If you are a Zephyr project collaborator or maintainer and notice that your access was downgraded, then make sure your github name is in the MAINTAINERS.yml file and check your inbox for team invites from the zephyr project and accept those.

This topic was added to GH discussions, for any comments, feedback or complaints please use:

Hello everyone,

We recently made changes to the project roles and the access levels given to contributors on github. Please refer to the full documentation of the roles below for more details:

- Contributors are initially only given Read access to the Zephyr GitHub repository. Specifically, at the Read access level, Contributors are not allowed to assign reviewers to their own pull requests. An automated process will assign reviewers.
- Contributors who show dedication and skill are granted the Github Triage permission[1] level to the Zephyr GitHub repository. You may nominate yourself, or another GitHub user, for promotion to the Github Triage permission level by creating a GitHub issue, using the nomination issue type: Go to Issues, click on “New Issue” and select “Contributor Nomination” issue type, submit the issue and wait for it to be processed.
- Contributors granted the Github Triage permission level are permitted to add reviewers to a pull request and can be added as a reviewer by other GitHub users. Contributor votes on pull requests are not counted with respect to accepting and merging a pull request. However, Contributors comments and requested changes should still be considered by the pull request author.
- Contributors are promoted to the Collaborator role by adding the GitHub user name to one or more collaborators sections of the MAINTAINERS File in the Zephyr repository. Collaborator votes on pull requests can block or approve the pull request.

Many new contributors already had the same access as “Collaborators” (Write access). This access will be reset and only collaborators and maintainers referenced in the MAINTAINER file will have write access now.

If you notice that you do not have the same access as before, then most likely you are not in the MAINTAINER file. You will need to add yourself to the MAINTAINER file in the areas you are most active in using a pull request, once merged and approved, you will be assigned the collaborator access level.

This change will take effect Monday, October 18th.

If you have any concerns or questions, please reply to this email or use discord.

Thank you,

Anas

On 2021-10-14, 8:31 AM, "devel@lists.zephyrproject.org on behalf of Nashif, Anas" <devel@lists.zephyrproject.org on behalf of anas.nashif@intel.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

[...]

API meeting: agenda

Carles Cufi

Now: Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group - 10/18/2021 #cal-notice

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <noreply@...>

Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group

When:
10/18/2021
3:00pm to 4:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: Torsten Rasmussen

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 682 738 030#

Event: Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group - 10/18/2021 #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <noreply@...>

Reminder: Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group

When:
10/18/2021
3:00pm to 4:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: Torsten Rasmussen

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 682 738 030#

Zephyr 2.7.0 Released

Christopher Friedt

Hey Zephyr Community!

We are pleased to announce the release of Zephyr v2.7.0 . This is our
LTS2 release with support for at least 2 years.

Major enhancements with this release include:
* Bluetooth Audio, Direction Finding, and Mesh improvements
* Support for Bluetooth Advertisement PDU Chaining
* Added support for armclang / armlinker toolchain
* Added support for MWDT C / C++ toolchain
* Update to CMSIS v5.8.0 (Core v5.5.0, DSP v1.9.0)
* Support for M-Profile Vector Extensions (MVE) on ARMv8.1-M
* Improved thread safety for Newlib and C++ on SMP-capable systems
* IEEE 802.15.4 Software Address Filtering
* New Action-based Power Management API
* USB Device Framework now includes all Chapter 9 defines and structures
* Generic System Controller (syscon) driver and emulator
* Linker Support for Tightly-Coupled Memory in RISC-V
* Additional Blocking API calls for LoRa
* Support for extended PCI / PCIe capabilities, improved MIS-X support
* Added Support for Service Type Enumeration (STE) with mDNS / DNS
Service Discovery
* Added Zephyr Thread Awareness for OpenOCD to West
* EEPROM now can be emulated in flash
* Added both Ethernet MDIO and Ethernet generic PHY drivers

The detailed release notes can be found here:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/releases/tag/zephyr-v2.7.0

Thanks to everyone involved!

Modbus: Support for user defined function codes

Henrik Lindblom

Hi!

I was wondering if there's any work being done to allow users to
extend Modbus by defining their own function codes (and handlers to
those)? I looked at the implementation in 2.6.0 and there is
MODBUS_RAW which sort of allows the user to define a callback to
handle arbitrary ADUs, but this is only for TCP (not really sure as to
why the limitation, though). I was tinkering around the codebase and
[...]

I'm willing to put in a PR for review if anybody else is interested in
this.

Cheers,
Henrik

RFC: API Change: Device Tree change for ranges property handling

Neil Armstrong

Hi,

In order to handle the PCIe specific usage, used to describe the PCI I/O and memory regions (as described in IEEE Std 1275-1994),
the standard ranges property is used and must be parsed and supported in the stable DT API.

With the RFC https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/39464 I would like to have feedback
about the proposed API changes pushed in the PR https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/38106

The RFC issue has been added to the API review/cleanup/rework project https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/projects/18
and both the RFC and PR are tagged with the appropriate labels.

Neil
--
Neil Armstrong
Embedded Linux Software Engineer

Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting - 10/14/2021 #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <noreply@...>

Reminder: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

When:
10/14/2021