From: devel@lists.zephyrproject.org <devel@lists.zephyrproject.org> On Behalf Of Kumar Gala via lists.zephyrproject.org
Sent: 03 May 2021 14:27
To: devel <devel@lists.zephyrproject.org>
Subject: [Zephyr-devel] REMINDER - merge window closes this Friday - May 7th, 2021.

EXTERNAL EMAIL: Be careful with attachments and links.

Hi,

This is a reminder that the v2.6.0 merge window for new features closes this Friday, 7th of May. After that, only bug fixes and documentation will be merged until the final release is tagged, which is targeted for Friday, May 28th. Exceptions require TSC approval. New feature PRs may still be submitted while the merge window is closed, but please keep in mind that maintainers will have less time to review them during the release stabilization period.

Please add the v2.6.0 milestone to PRs that need to be included in the release, and do not wait until Friday, May 7th to submit them.

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/wiki/Program-Management
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc+milestone%3Av2.6.0

Please try to help fix bugs, test release candidates, and write release notes to minimize the time the merge window is closed so we can all quickly get back to adding fun new things to Zephyr!

Thank you for your contributions!

- k

Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting - Thu, 05/06/2021 3:00pm-4:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

Reminder: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

When: Thursday, 6 May 2021, 3:00pm to 4:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 483 314 739#

Dev-Review Meeting Agenda May 5th

Kumar Gala

The agenda will focus on reviewing all PRs with a v2.6.0 milestone tag:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pulls?page=2&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3Av2.6.0

- k

SDK 0.13.0-alpha-1 Release

Just wanted to let people be aware few have an alpha release of the v0.13.0 SDK. The main focus of this alpha release is to enable ARC64 support in the toolchain.

Additionally we’ve updated gcc to be based on the GCC 10.3.0 release and pulled in QEMU 6.0.0.

I expect we will update OpenOCD to be based on a snapshot post the v0.11.0 release. Also, there’s expectation that ESP32 support will be added as well.

The SDK can be found here:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/sdk-ng/releases/tag/v0.13.0-alpha-1

general:
Added support for ARC64. NOTE: GDB isn't currently supported
for ARC64.

qemu:
Updated to QEMU 6.0.0
Added arc64 support. NOTE: this update ARC support replaces
the machine (-M simhs) with (-M virt). This change will require
updates to boards/arc/qemu_arc/board.cmake in Zephyr to match.

gcc:
Update to gcc 10.3 release
Added support for ARC64

binutils:
Updated to add support for ARC64

newlib:
Updated to add support for ARC64

crosstool-ng:
sync with upstream. Upstream now supports newlib-nano so we drop
our Zephyr specific updates. This also pulls in gcc-10.3 and
initial support for ARC64.

yocto:
Update to yocto 3.2.3 baseline. This is in prep to support building
qemu-6.0.0

Thanks to all that contributed fixes and enhancements to this version of the SDK.

- k

RFC: API Change: USB HID remove get_protocol/set_protocol/get_idle/set_idle callbacks

Johann Fischer

Problem description:

The USB HID class API offers the possibility to register callbacks
for Get/SetIdle, Get/SetProtocol to the application.
Rules for these callbacks are neither obvious nor documented.

The Get/SetProtocol callbacks are redundant and do not provide any
additional value since the way to inform the application
about the change of the protocol exists via the callback
hid_protocol_cb_t protocol_change.

The core provides implementation to handle Get/SetIdle requests and
on idle reports. If this is not suitable in any way then the application
should implement everything itself.

Also the possibility to call unknown application code while processing
control requests should also be avoided or reduced to a minimum.

Example that it can be used all wrong:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/34400/files

The probability that someone will be affected by this change is very low, since
the usage is neither necessary nor obvious.

Github Issue for this API change:

Github PR:

Johann Fischer

Re: Zephyr x nRF52 Inquiry

David Rances <david@...>

Hi Jamie,

One of our team members came to the same conclusion as well. We'll need to check out memory usage and see if it's even possible for our situation. Assuming we can even attempt it, we'll test it out and experiment with it a bit.
I appreciate your help with this.

Thanks,
David

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 3:13 AM Jamie Mccrae <Jamie.Mccrae@...> wrote:

Hi David,

You can package them up using nrfutil so that they can update over the old Nordic SDK bootloader, you would just need to adjust the kernel load offset to after the softdevice and you wouldn’t be able to erase the softdevice, and would then use nrfutil like you would packaging a Nordic SDK application. The issue you have is that you’re using an nRF52832 with 512 or 256KB of flash and the current S132 softdevice uses 152KB of flash, the bootloader was 48KB or so if I remember rightly so that’s 200KB of 256/512KB flash used, to which you want to add a zephyr application with it’s own Bluetooth stack… Depending on the application and if you have any non-volatile data, you might find there is insufficient space for it to fit.

Thanks,

Jamie