Date   

Re: Sharing a driver between similar devices

Peter A. Bigot
 

I believe https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/20287 is relevant to this problem.   At the time there was no solution; now it may be that 
DT_NODE_HAS_COMPAT(DT_DRV_INST(N), other_compat) handles it if just you iterate over the base lsm6dsl device.


Re: Sharing a driver between similar devices

Michael Hope
 

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 at 22:06, Bolivar, Marti <Marti.Bolivar@...> wrote:
Hi Michael,

"Michael Hope via lists.zephyrproject.org"
<michaelh=juju.nz@...> writes:

> Hi there.  I'm porting Zephyr to the Arduino Nano 33 IOT.  The board has a
> LSM6DS3 IMU which is very similar to the LSM6DSL that's already supported
> by Zephyr and I'd like to re-use it.
>
> I've refactored [1] the lsm6dsl driver to be multi-instance.  What's the
> best way of then using the same driver for two different compats?  The best
> I've come up with is [2] but that has name collision issues.

Have you tried to set some state in the config structure based on the
value of DT_NODE_HAS_COMPAT(DT_DRV_INST(your_instance_number), some_compat)?

That sounds good.

The second part of the problem is iterating over both the lsm6dsl and lsm6ds3 types.  Doing two DT_INST_FOREACH_STATUS_OKAY(fn), one for each compat, can give name collisions.  Any ideas?

-- Michael


>
> Note that the chips also have a different WHO_AM_I value, so need very
> slightly different configuration.

E.g. setting the WHO_AM_I in your config struct based on this, and using
that in your init functions to disambiguate.

>
> [1]: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/27064
> [2]:
> https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/commit/cd65c39b3eeaa0d21ba90c30b13e4ca2952a6723
>
> -- Michael

Thanks,
Martí

>
>


Re: Sharing a driver between similar devices

Bolivar, Marti
 

Hi Michael,

"Michael Hope via lists.zephyrproject.org"
<michaelh=juju.nz@...> writes:

Hi there. I'm porting Zephyr to the Arduino Nano 33 IOT. The board has a
LSM6DS3 IMU which is very similar to the LSM6DSL that's already supported
by Zephyr and I'd like to re-use it.

I've refactored [1] the lsm6dsl driver to be multi-instance. What's the
best way of then using the same driver for two different compats? The best
I've come up with is [2] but that has name collision issues.
Have you tried to set some state in the config structure based on the
value of DT_NODE_HAS_COMPAT(DT_DRV_INST(your_instance_number), some_compat)?


Note that the chips also have a different WHO_AM_I value, so need very
slightly different configuration.
E.g. setting the WHO_AM_I in your config struct based on this, and using
that in your init functions to disambiguate.


[1]: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/27064
[2]:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/commit/cd65c39b3eeaa0d21ba90c30b13e4ca2952a6723

-- Michael
Thanks,
Martí



Sharing a driver between similar devices

Michael Hope
 

Hi there.  I'm porting Zephyr to the Arduino Nano 33 IOT.  The board has a LSM6DS3 IMU which is very similar to the LSM6DSL that's already supported by Zephyr and I'd like to re-use it.

I've refactored [1] the lsm6dsl driver to be multi-instance.  What's the best way of then using the same driver for two different compats?  The best I've come up with is [2] but that has name collision issues.

Note that the chips also have a different WHO_AM_I value, so need very slightly different configuration.


-- Michael


github org membership and permissions

Maureen Helm
 

Hi everyone,

This week the TSC approved the list of current maintainers in #24152. As a result, I have invited all of the approved maintainers to join the zephyrproject-rtos GitHub organization and assigned them into a “maintainers” team. Membership in this GitHub team gives write access to the main zephyr repo, which is used for assigning labels and reviewers to issues/PRs. Merge rights are still restricted to members of the release team.

 

Many maintainers previously had write access as an “outside collaborator”, which should no longer be necessary and has been removed. If you have lost access to the repo in this refactoring, then I have made a mistake and please let me know.

 

Also, membership in a GitHub organization is by default private, but you have the option to make it public:

https://docs.github.com/en/github/setting-up-and-managing-your-github-user-account/publicizing-or-hiding-organization-membership

 

Maureen


Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting - Thu, 07/23/2020 3:00pm-4:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

When: Thursday, 23 July 2020, 3:00pm to 4:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: devel@...

Description:

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 483 314 739#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Dev-Review Meeting Agenda Jul 23

Kumar Gala
 

Here’s the agenda topics for this week:

* Discussion on CONFIG_MULTITHREADING=n
- Do we continue to support it and what functionality should be expected to work in that mode:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/9808
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/8393
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/26796
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/8496



https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+CONFIG_MULTITHREADING
- isr safe mutexes


* Any PR/issues w/dev-review tag
* Any topics anyone else has.

- k


Re: [Zephyr-users] Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

Jack Rosenthal
 

I use Matrix on other channels. It works pretty nicely, and the open source factor is a bonus.

Reto summed it up pretty well... hope you all do consider it a bit more.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 8:26 AM <rs@...> wrote:
Hi Kumar,

Being a Matrix homeserver administrator myself (Synapse/Riot-Web), but
never having used Discord, I'd like to know what (apart form Adafruit)
made Discord look like the most interesting candidate?

On 7/17/20 12:27 AM, Kumar Gala wrote:
> Some requirements for Zephyr chat platform:
> * Maintain history
Can not see a problem with this.

> * integration with other services (like GitHub)

Never done this, can not say anything about it.

> * private channels

Possible - including E2E encryption

> * ideally free - or low cost
> * no overhead for Zephyr Project (ie not having to run our own server).

What would be considered low cost?

Would a server maintained paid by the LF and run by a volunteer be an
option?

> Pros of Discord:
> * Shared accounts across "servers" which are really just communities. Makes joining a new server very fast and easy.

Same for Matrix, but solved via federation

> * Strong moderation tools (mute, ban, kick) per server. No need to wait for Discord to help.

I had no need yet on my homeserver (~150 accounts), but mute/kick/ban is
not a problem at all. Also, redacting history of a spammer, etc. is very
possible.

> * Unlimited history for free.

Possible

> * Easy to join via invite link, chat and then establish an account.

I have not tried to enable guest accounts yet, but ...
a) it is very easy to set up a homeserver to allow registering with just
a username and a password, not requiring an e-mail or phone number.
b) People can just re-use their existing Matrix accounts if federation
is enabled

> Cons of Discord:
> * Can get spammy when publicly listed.

For matrix, sharing the room list with other homeservers can be prevented.

> * Still in the startup phase so they are experimenting with business models. Currently "Nitro" subscription which unlocks server capabilities: https://discord.com/new/nitro
> * Closed source so interop with Matrix and IRC is tricky but doable.

Matrix.org does already IRC bridging for its own *and* users on other
homeservers [1].

Also, the speed at which Synapse/Element/etc. is getting developed is
awesome. There are releases pretty much every week, each containing
serious improvements.

Greetings,
Reto

[1]
https://matrix.org/blog/2015/06/22/the-matrix-org-irc-bridge-now-bridges-all-of-freenode





Re: [Zephyr-users] Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

rs@...
 

Hi Kumar,

Being a Matrix homeserver administrator myself (Synapse/Riot-Web), but
never having used Discord, I'd like to know what (apart form Adafruit)
made Discord look like the most interesting candidate?

On 7/17/20 12:27 AM, Kumar Gala wrote:
Some requirements for Zephyr chat platform:
* Maintain history
Can not see a problem with this.

* integration with other services (like GitHub)
Never done this, can not say anything about it.

* private channels
Possible - including E2E encryption

* ideally free - or low cost
* no overhead for Zephyr Project (ie not having to run our own server).
What would be considered low cost?

Would a server maintained paid by the LF and run by a volunteer be an
option?

Pros of Discord:
* Shared accounts across "servers" which are really just communities. Makes joining a new server very fast and easy.
Same for Matrix, but solved via federation

* Strong moderation tools (mute, ban, kick) per server. No need to wait for Discord to help.
I had no need yet on my homeserver (~150 accounts), but mute/kick/ban is
not a problem at all. Also, redacting history of a spammer, etc. is very
possible.

* Unlimited history for free.
Possible

* Easy to join via invite link, chat and then establish an account.
I have not tried to enable guest accounts yet, but ...
a) it is very easy to set up a homeserver to allow registering with just
a username and a password, not requiring an e-mail or phone number.
b) People can just re-use their existing Matrix accounts if federation
is enabled

Cons of Discord:
* Can get spammy when publicly listed.
For matrix, sharing the room list with other homeservers can be prevented.

* Still in the startup phase so they are experimenting with business models. Currently "Nitro" subscription which unlocks server capabilities: https://discord.com/new/nitro
* Closed source so interop with Matrix and IRC is tricky but doable.
Matrix.org does already IRC bridging for its own *and* users on other
homeservers [1].

Also, the speed at which Synapse/Element/etc. is getting developed is
awesome. There are releases pretty much every week, each containing
serious improvements.

Greetings,
Reto

[1]
https://matrix.org/blog/2015/06/22/the-matrix-org-irc-bridge-now-bridges-all-of-freenode


Re: Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

Paul Sokolovsky
 

Hello,

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 23:55:18 +0000
"Nashif, Anas" <anas.nashif@...> wrote:

It depends who you ask, lots of people actually do not care or like
threads the way they are implemented in Slack. This is basically a
place where conversation just get buried.
+2, one for each account. I find the threads hard to use/follow in
realtime, and apparently very hard to get back to in archive if you
don't know a precise search term.

IRC did not have threads,
yet it is still there after almost 30 years.
+1 for mentioning IRC too. After trying Slack, I personally find IRC
more comfortable. I actually came to appreciate its liteweight design
as very smart and deliberate, emphasizing the core feature - quick
chat, and leaving the rest to more tangible communication methods, like
email.


Anas
[]

--
Best Regards,
Paul

Linaro.org | Open source software for ARM SoCs
Follow Linaro: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro
http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg - http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog


Re: Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

Jett ✈ Rink
 

If Zephyr is non-profit (which it seems to be), then it will be eligible to sign up for G Suite for nonprofit which includes many features for free. I have personally set this up for two non-profits and it is pretty straightforward.

I agree that chat.google.com is very well hidden ;)

-Jett

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 6:15 PM Nashif, Anas <anas.nashif@...> wrote:

Jett,

Zephyr project is not subscribed to any gsuite plans, free or paid. AFAIK we use google docs from LF in some areas. Maybe we should look into the non-profit “companies” option.

Never heard of chat.google.com, well hidden 😊

 

Anas

 

From: <devel@...> on behalf of "Jett Rink via lists.zephyrproject.org" <jettrink=google.com@...>
Reply to: "jettrink@..." <jettrink@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21 July 2020 at 19:17
To: Henrik Brix Andersen <henrik@...>
Cc: Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@...>, zephyr-devel <zephyr-devel@...>, Ryan Johnson via Zephyr-users <zephyr-users@...>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

 

I know that Zephyr uses Google docs already, and that Gsuite is free for non-profit companies. Have we considered chat.google.com as an alternative? It may be free or part of what Zephyr is already paying for. It has conversations/threads and history, etc.

 

-Jett

 

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 3:23 AM Henrik Brix Andersen <henrik@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I have never used Discord before, but I given it a quick try the last couple of days.

My main concern is that Discord does not support threads (only quoting). This will cause all messages to go to the channel, making it more difficult to glance over the new topics.
It also makes it rather impossible to continue a discussion over several days or to follow up on a question or solution several days later, something that is often used on Slack today.

One of the bullets below lists shared accounts across servers as a pro for Discord. I am not so sure. The sign-on process was at least as difficult as with Slack.

Have we considered that once Discord settles on their business models, they too might start charging for unlimited message history?

Maybe it is just me, but there is also the question of familiarity with the service for our users.
It is my personal experience that many professionals within the embedded market know of Slack, but not many use Discord perhaps due to it being rooted in the gaming communities?

Regards,
Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen


> On 17 Jul 2020, at 00.27, Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@...> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> We’ve had a few discussion in the Zephyr TSC regarding the need for maintaining history in our chat communication platform and the limitation that Slack imposes on this for free usage.  The general feeling is that having access to historical discussions is important for the continued growth of the Zephyr community.
>
> We have tried to engage Slack on a cost effective solution but unfortunately that does not appear to be an option.  A few different options that have been evaluated (Discord, matrix.org, rocket chat, Microsoft Teams) and Discord seemed to be the best option and has had a fair amount of history with Adafruit (a Silver Member).
>
> Some requirements for Zephyr chat platform:
> * Maintain history
> * integration with other services (like GitHub)
> * private channels
> * ideally free - or low cost
> * no overhead for Zephyr Project (ie not having to run our own server).
>
> Pros of Discord:
> * Shared accounts across "servers" which are really just communities. Makes joining a new server very fast and easy.
> * Strong moderation tools (mute, ban, kick) per server. No need to wait for Discord to help.
> * Unlimited history for free.
> * Easy to join via invite link, chat and then establish an account.
>
> Cons of Discord:
> * Can get spammy when publicly listed.
> * Still in the startup phase so they are experimenting with business models. Currently "Nitro" subscription which unlocks server capabilities: https://discord.com/new/nitro
> * Closed source so interop with Matrix and IRC is tricky but doable.
>
> We’d like to get any feedback from the community at large before finalizing a decision in the TSC.  The topic will be on the July 29th TSC meeting and will review any email feedback that anyone has on the topic.
>
> Thanks
>
> A few links:
> * Current Open Source communities utilizing Discord: https://discord.com/open-source
> * Zephyr Discord: https://discord.gg/28BgkM
>
> (NOTE: The Zephyr Discord is setup for testing purposes at this time)
>
>




Re: Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

Nashif, Anas
 

Jett,

Zephyr project is not subscribed to any gsuite plans, free or paid. AFAIK we use google docs from LF in some areas. Maybe we should look into the non-profit “companies” option.

Never heard of chat.google.com, well hidden 😊

 

Anas

 

From: <devel@...> on behalf of "Jett Rink via lists.zephyrproject.org" <jettrink=google.com@...>
Reply to: "jettrink@..." <jettrink@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21 July 2020 at 19:17
To: Henrik Brix Andersen <henrik@...>
Cc: Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@...>, zephyr-devel <zephyr-devel@...>, Ryan Johnson via Zephyr-users <zephyr-users@...>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

 

I know that Zephyr uses Google docs already, and that Gsuite is free for non-profit companies. Have we considered chat.google.com as an alternative? It may be free or part of what Zephyr is already paying for. It has conversations/threads and history, etc.

 

-Jett

 

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 3:23 AM Henrik Brix Andersen <henrik@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I have never used Discord before, but I given it a quick try the last couple of days.

My main concern is that Discord does not support threads (only quoting). This will cause all messages to go to the channel, making it more difficult to glance over the new topics.
It also makes it rather impossible to continue a discussion over several days or to follow up on a question or solution several days later, something that is often used on Slack today.

One of the bullets below lists shared accounts across servers as a pro for Discord. I am not so sure. The sign-on process was at least as difficult as with Slack.

Have we considered that once Discord settles on their business models, they too might start charging for unlimited message history?

Maybe it is just me, but there is also the question of familiarity with the service for our users.
It is my personal experience that many professionals within the embedded market know of Slack, but not many use Discord perhaps due to it being rooted in the gaming communities?

Regards,
Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen


> On 17 Jul 2020, at 00.27, Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@...> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> We’ve had a few discussion in the Zephyr TSC regarding the need for maintaining history in our chat communication platform and the limitation that Slack imposes on this for free usage.  The general feeling is that having access to historical discussions is important for the continued growth of the Zephyr community.
>
> We have tried to engage Slack on a cost effective solution but unfortunately that does not appear to be an option.  A few different options that have been evaluated (Discord, matrix.org, rocket chat, Microsoft Teams) and Discord seemed to be the best option and has had a fair amount of history with Adafruit (a Silver Member).
>
> Some requirements for Zephyr chat platform:
> * Maintain history
> * integration with other services (like GitHub)
> * private channels
> * ideally free - or low cost
> * no overhead for Zephyr Project (ie not having to run our own server).
>
> Pros of Discord:
> * Shared accounts across "servers" which are really just communities. Makes joining a new server very fast and easy.
> * Strong moderation tools (mute, ban, kick) per server. No need to wait for Discord to help.
> * Unlimited history for free.
> * Easy to join via invite link, chat and then establish an account.
>
> Cons of Discord:
> * Can get spammy when publicly listed.
> * Still in the startup phase so they are experimenting with business models. Currently "Nitro" subscription which unlocks server capabilities: https://discord.com/new/nitro
> * Closed source so interop with Matrix and IRC is tricky but doable.
>
> We’d like to get any feedback from the community at large before finalizing a decision in the TSC.  The topic will be on the July 29th TSC meeting and will review any email feedback that anyone has on the topic.
>
> Thanks
>
> A few links:
> * Current Open Source communities utilizing Discord: https://discord.com/open-source
> * Zephyr Discord: https://discord.gg/28BgkM
>
> (NOTE: The Zephyr Discord is setup for testing purposes at this time)
>
>




Re: Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

Nashif, Anas
 

I am not saying IRC is a quality chat client, but the model works in that you can also chat without threads, and it has been done and is being done in many places already. I personally find threads an annoyance in slack and is usually where I miss most of the conversations. Keeping an eye on the inflow of messages while doing something else and jumping in when interested is not something that is possible with threads, you basically have to click and open threads to see what is going on.

Anas

On 21/07/2020, 20:01, "devel@... on behalf of Bolivar, Marti" <devel@... on behalf of marti.bolivar@...> wrote:

Age is not necessarily a sign of quality. Usenet is still around in some
form or another, but nobody is advocating we use it for Zephyr, are they?

I think the IRC style of simultaneously carrying on multiple unrelated
conversations in the same channel using nicks hard to read and find
threads much more readable. Just my two cents.

"Nashif, Anas via lists.zephyrproject.org"
<anas.nashif=intel.com@...> writes:

It depends who you ask, lots of people actually do not care or like threads the way they are implemented in Slack. This is basically a place where conversation just get buried.
> IRC did not have threads, yet it is still there after almost 30 years.
>
> Anas
>
> From: <devel@...> on behalf of "Peter A. Bigot" <pab@...>
> Date: Tuesday, 21 July 2020 at 19:41
> To: "devel@..." <devel@...>
> Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack
>
> Are we tracking the Zephyr requirements for a chat server anywhere, and assessing them against a list of candidate services?
>
> Based on some trials at https://discord.com/channels/720317445772017664/720317445772017667/734352748396413051 I think thread support should be a requirement, and that Discord doesn't satisfy it.
>
> Peter
>
>
>


Re: Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

Bolivar, Marti
 

Age is not necessarily a sign of quality. Usenet is still around in some
form or another, but nobody is advocating we use it for Zephyr, are they?

I think the IRC style of simultaneously carrying on multiple unrelated
conversations in the same channel using nicks hard to read and find
threads much more readable. Just my two cents.

"Nashif, Anas via lists.zephyrproject.org"
<anas.nashif=intel.com@...> writes:

It depends who you ask, lots of people actually do not care or like threads the way they are implemented in Slack. This is basically a place where conversation just get buried.
IRC did not have threads, yet it is still there after almost 30 years.

Anas

From: <devel@...> on behalf of "Peter A. Bigot" <pab@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21 July 2020 at 19:41
To: "devel@..." <devel@...>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

Are we tracking the Zephyr requirements for a chat server anywhere, and assessing them against a list of candidate services?

Based on some trials at https://discord.com/channels/720317445772017664/720317445772017667/734352748396413051 I think thread support should be a requirement, and that Discord doesn't satisfy it.

Peter



Re: Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

Nashif, Anas
 

It depends who you ask, lots of people actually do not care or like threads the way they are implemented in Slack. This is basically a place where conversation just get buried.

IRC did not have threads, yet it is still there after almost 30 years.

 

Anas

 

From: <devel@...> on behalf of "Peter A. Bigot" <pab@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21 July 2020 at 19:41
To: "devel@..." <devel@...>
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

 

Are we tracking the Zephyr requirements for a chat server anywhere, and assessing them against a list of candidate services?

Based on some trials at https://discord.com/channels/720317445772017664/720317445772017667/734352748396413051 I think thread support should be a requirement, and that Discord doesn't satisfy it.

Peter


Re: Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

Peter A. Bigot
 

Are we tracking the Zephyr requirements for a chat server anywhere, and assessing them against a list of candidate services?

Based on some trials at https://discord.com/channels/720317445772017664/720317445772017667/734352748396413051 I think thread support should be a requirement, and that Discord doesn't satisfy it.

Peter


Re: Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

Jett ✈ Rink
 

I know that Zephyr uses Google docs already, and that Gsuite is free for non-profit companies. Have we considered chat.google.com as an alternative? It may be free or part of what Zephyr is already paying for. It has conversations/threads and history, etc.

-Jett

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 3:23 AM Henrik Brix Andersen <henrik@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I have never used Discord before, but I given it a quick try the last couple of days.

My main concern is that Discord does not support threads (only quoting). This will cause all messages to go to the channel, making it more difficult to glance over the new topics.
It also makes it rather impossible to continue a discussion over several days or to follow up on a question or solution several days later, something that is often used on Slack today.

One of the bullets below lists shared accounts across servers as a pro for Discord. I am not so sure. The sign-on process was at least as difficult as with Slack.

Have we considered that once Discord settles on their business models, they too might start charging for unlimited message history?

Maybe it is just me, but there is also the question of familiarity with the service for our users.
It is my personal experience that many professionals within the embedded market know of Slack, but not many use Discord perhaps due to it being rooted in the gaming communities?

Regards,
Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen


> On 17 Jul 2020, at 00.27, Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@...> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> We’ve had a few discussion in the Zephyr TSC regarding the need for maintaining history in our chat communication platform and the limitation that Slack imposes on this for free usage.  The general feeling is that having access to historical discussions is important for the continued growth of the Zephyr community.
>
> We have tried to engage Slack on a cost effective solution but unfortunately that does not appear to be an option.  A few different options that have been evaluated (Discord, matrix.org, rocket chat, Microsoft Teams) and Discord seemed to be the best option and has had a fair amount of history with Adafruit (a Silver Member).
>
> Some requirements for Zephyr chat platform:
> * Maintain history
> * integration with other services (like GitHub)
> * private channels
> * ideally free - or low cost
> * no overhead for Zephyr Project (ie not having to run our own server).
>
> Pros of Discord:
> * Shared accounts across "servers" which are really just communities. Makes joining a new server very fast and easy.
> * Strong moderation tools (mute, ban, kick) per server. No need to wait for Discord to help.
> * Unlimited history for free.
> * Easy to join via invite link, chat and then establish an account.
>
> Cons of Discord:
> * Can get spammy when publicly listed.
> * Still in the startup phase so they are experimenting with business models. Currently "Nitro" subscription which unlocks server capabilities: https://discord.com/new/nitro
> * Closed source so interop with Matrix and IRC is tricky but doable.
>
> We’d like to get any feedback from the community at large before finalizing a decision in the TSC.  The topic will be on the July 29th TSC meeting and will review any email feedback that anyone has on the topic.
>
> Thanks
>
> A few links:
> * Current Open Source communities utilizing Discord: https://discord.com/open-source
> * Zephyr Discord: https://discord.gg/28BgkM
>
> (NOTE: The Zephyr Discord is setup for testing purposes at this time)
>
>





Zephyr Project: APIs - Tue, 07/21/2020 4:00pm-5:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr Project: APIs

When: Tuesday, 21 July 2020, 4:00pm to 5:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: devel@...

Description:

Meeting decisions/discussions in their respective PRs, tracked here: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/projects/18


________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 317 990 129#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


API meeting: agenda

Carles Cufi
 


Re: Community input on possible change to Discord from Slack

Henrik Brix Andersen
 

Hi all,

I have never used Discord before, but I given it a quick try the last couple of days.

My main concern is that Discord does not support threads (only quoting). This will cause all messages to go to the channel, making it more difficult to glance over the new topics.
It also makes it rather impossible to continue a discussion over several days or to follow up on a question or solution several days later, something that is often used on Slack today.

One of the bullets below lists shared accounts across servers as a pro for Discord. I am not so sure. The sign-on process was at least as difficult as with Slack.

Have we considered that once Discord settles on their business models, they too might start charging for unlimited message history?

Maybe it is just me, but there is also the question of familiarity with the service for our users.
It is my personal experience that many professionals within the embedded market know of Slack, but not many use Discord perhaps due to it being rooted in the gaming communities?

Regards,
Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen

On 17 Jul 2020, at 00.27, Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@...> wrote:

All,

We’ve had a few discussion in the Zephyr TSC regarding the need for maintaining history in our chat communication platform and the limitation that Slack imposes on this for free usage. The general feeling is that having access to historical discussions is important for the continued growth of the Zephyr community.

We have tried to engage Slack on a cost effective solution but unfortunately that does not appear to be an option. A few different options that have been evaluated (Discord, matrix.org, rocket chat, Microsoft Teams) and Discord seemed to be the best option and has had a fair amount of history with Adafruit (a Silver Member).

Some requirements for Zephyr chat platform:
* Maintain history
* integration with other services (like GitHub)
* private channels
* ideally free - or low cost
* no overhead for Zephyr Project (ie not having to run our own server).

Pros of Discord:
* Shared accounts across "servers" which are really just communities. Makes joining a new server very fast and easy.
* Strong moderation tools (mute, ban, kick) per server. No need to wait for Discord to help.
* Unlimited history for free.
* Easy to join via invite link, chat and then establish an account.

Cons of Discord:
* Can get spammy when publicly listed.
* Still in the startup phase so they are experimenting with business models. Currently "Nitro" subscription which unlocks server capabilities: https://discord.com/new/nitro
* Closed source so interop with Matrix and IRC is tricky but doable.

We’d like to get any feedback from the community at large before finalizing a decision in the TSC. The topic will be on the July 29th TSC meeting and will review any email feedback that anyone has on the topic.

Thanks

A few links:
* Current Open Source communities utilizing Discord: https://discord.com/open-source
* Zephyr Discord: https://discord.gg/28BgkM

(NOTE: The Zephyr Discord is setup for testing purposes at this time)