Date   

Cancelled Event: Zephyr Project: APIs - Tuesday, 26 May 2020 #cal-cancelled

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Cancelled: Zephyr Project: APIs

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Tuesday, 26 May 2020
4:00pm to 5:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: devel@...

Description:
Join Microsoft Teams Meeting:
https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_YzYzZTAzNGItOWFiMS00MDBkLTkyYmMtNzljZjkwNDVlMThm%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%22%7d

+1 213-437-3346 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)

Conference ID: 262 362 129#

Local numbers: 
https://dialin.teams.microsoft.com/488d1b50-0dd2-4ca1-aee4-92bb50a48081?id=262362129


 Live meeting minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lv-8B5QE2m4FjBcvfqAXFIgQfW5oz6306zJ7GIZIWCk/edit?usp=sharing


Device Drivers

Raj Gundi
 

Hi,

 

I had a question regarding the device driver modelling in Zephyr. I see that most device drivers in Zephyr are not 'thread sensitive'. That is, there is a possibility of some unintended behaviour when 2 or more threads concurrently access the driver. Of course, this situation is mostly relevant only for pre-emptive threads. I wanted to know if there’s some reason for this design. Also, I wanted to brainstorm the different possible ways to make these drivers thread-safe when using pre-emptive threads. Below are some of the ways that I could think of.

a.       Modify the drivers in Zephyr to be thread-safe. Mutexes can be used here. 

b.       Have a wrapper in app layer for each of the drivers through which the corresponding drivers are accessed. Mutexes can be used here to guarantee thread sensitivity. 

c.       Have a dedicated thread (supervisor/worker thread) whose only job is to issue driver calls. Though this approach can separate out the user space from kernel space which is desirable, it may also increase the frequency of task switches thereby adversely affecting performance.

 

Please let me know your views.

 

Regards,

Raj

 


usdhc does not support card check notification

FrankLi
 

Hi,
   In disk_access_usdhc.c, there is a callback for detect card but no API is open to the application layer. Therefore, during card insert / un-insert, the application layer will not be able to respond, such as mount fs when the card is inserted, and unmount fs when it is unplugged. I plan to add a mechanism to register the application layer callback in ioctrl Can anyone give some suggestions on the design expectations of zephyr? If the answer is yes, I will start the work


Re: Release notes for 2.3

Carles Cufi
 

+ devel mailing list

Hi all,

We still have quite a few sections missing in the release notes.

Please help us fill those out in the next few days.

Thanks,

Carles

-----Original Message-----
From: Cufi, Carles
Sent: 13 May 2020 12:44
To: jukka.rissanen@...; @jhe; Andersson,
Joakim <Joakim.Andersson@...>; Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa
<vinayak.kariappa.chettimada@...>; Ruud Derwig
<Ruud.Derwig@...>; kumar.gala@...;
maureen.helm@...; anas.nashif@...; Boie, Andrew P
<andrew.p.boie@...>; Michael Gielda <@mgielda>;
Nathaniel Graff <nathaniel.graff@...>; David Brown
<@d3zd3z>; Glaropoulos, Ioannis
<Ioannis.Glaropoulos@...>; Andy Ross
<andrew.j.ross@...>; Piotr Mienkowski
<piotr.mienkowski@...>; Bigot, Peter <Peter.Bigot@...>;
Bursztyka, Tomasz <tomasz.bursztyka@...>; Puzdrowski, Andrzej
<Andrzej.Puzdrowski@...>; Johann Fischer
<j.fischer@...>; alexander.wachter@...; Obalski,
Emil <Emil.Obalski@...>
Subject: Release notes for 2.3

Hi all,

It's that time of the quarter again, when we ask you to put together
some release notes for your respective subsystems.
Remember to send PRs against https://github.com/zephyrproject-
rtos/zephyr/blob/master/doc/releases/release-notes-2.3.rst.

Here's the list of areas with the respective owners:

Release highlights - Carles

Subsystems
Kernel - Andy, Andrew
Build and infrastructure - Torsten, Anas, Kumar Devicetree - Kumar,
Martí Drivers and sensors - Maureen, Tomasz, Peter, Piotr Filesystems
- Andrzej, Peter Networking - Jukka Bluetooth - Johan, Joakim, Carles,
Vinayak USB - Johann, Emil CAN - Alexander Architectures ARC - Ruud
ARM - Ioannis, Kumar, Maureen
X86 - Anas, Andrew
RISCV - Michael, Nate
Xtensa, NIOS-II - Anas, Andrew
Board and SoC support - many
Security - David (mostly done)

Thanks in advance,

Carles


[Zephyr 2.3] Current status as of 21st of May

Carles Cufi
 

Hi all,

This is the current bug status for Zephyr 2.3 as of today.

High priority bugs: 3 (threshold for release is ==0) https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Abug+label%3A%22priority%3A+high%22+sort%3Aupdated-desc+-milestone%3Av1.14.1+-milestone%3Av1.14.2+

Medium priority bugs: 40 (threshold for release is <=20) https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Abug+label%3A%22priority%3A+medium%22+sort%3Aupdated-desc+-milestone%3Av1.14.1+-milestone%3Av1.14.2+

We are confident that we will be able to close all 3 high priority bugs in the few days to come.
However, we need help in closing those medium priority bugs, so any contributions towards getting the count down are welcome.

Thank you all in advance.

Carles


Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting - Thu, 05/21/2020 3:00pm-4:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

When: Thursday, 21 May 2020, 3:00pm to 4:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: devel@...

Description: Join Microsoft Teams Meeting: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_M2Q2ZDk4OWItMWE2MS00MTExLTkyYTQtNmUwOTA4MzgwOGYw%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%22%7d

+1 213-437-3346 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 750 623 026#


Local numbers: 
https://dialin.teams.microsoft.com/488d1b50-0dd2-4ca1-aee4-92bb50a48081?id=750623026


Re: Zenoh, NBIOT intergration

Ryan Erickson
 

We have integrated a Cat-M1/Cat-NB1 modem into zephyr.  We have not pushed our driver upstream yet, but there are plans to do so in the near future.
https://www.lairdconnect.com/wireless-modules/cellular-solutions/pinnacle-100-cellular-modem


Zenoh, NBIOT intergration

Brenton Chetty
 

Hi, my name is Brenton

I just wanted to find out, is there any ongoing work towards the integration of the Zenoh Protocol or NBIOT to Zephyr OS?

With regards
Brenton


Re: SDK 0.11.3 Release

Paul Sokolovsky
 

Hello Kumar,

On Mon, 18 May 2020 10:33:24 -0500
"Kumar Gala" <kumar.gala@...> wrote:

Hi,

Some fixes based on usage of SDK v0.11.x and addition of QEMU for
ARC, cmake package support, and some changes to how we build GDB.
Please take NOTE of the changes w/regards to GDB.

The SDK can be found here:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/sdk-ng/releases/tag/v0.11.3
Thanks for this release. And to provide some feedback: I really
appreciate continuing to keep a user in control. I may imagine that
some users find all the new features like "integration with CMake
registry" to be useful for them. But for me, as a long-time Zephyr
developer, the baseline requirements are: a) being able to work with
multiple Zephyr SDK versions; b) being able to switch among them
easily; c) always be aware which version is currently in use.

So, I rely on multiple SDKs being installed in the versioned directory
names and use environment variable to switch among them (or check
what's currently used). And, I appreciate being asked whether I want all
the CMake adhoc features, and hope to be able to keep answering "n" in
the future.

[]

--
Best Regards,
Paul

Linaro.org | Open source software for ARM SoCs
Follow Linaro: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro
http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg - http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog


Updated Event: Zephyr Toolchain Working Group #cal-invite

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Zephyr Toolchain Working Group

When:
Thursday, 28 May 2020
2:00pm to 3:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC
Repeats: Every 2 weeks on Thursday, through Thursday, 23 July 2020

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: Maureen Helm

Description:

Topic:  Zephyr Toolchain Working Group

Time: Mar 19, 2020 07:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

        Every 2 weeks on Thu, until Jul 23, 2020, 10 occurrence(s)

        Mar 19, 2020 07:00 AM

        Apr 2, 2020 07:00 AM

        Apr 16, 2020 07:00 AM

        Apr 30, 2020 07:00 AM

        May 14, 2020 07:00 AM

        May 28, 2020 07:00 AM

        Jun 11, 2020 07:00 AM

        Jun 25, 2020 07:00 AM

        Jul 9, 2020 07:00 AM

        Jul 23, 2020 07:00 AM

Join Microsoft Teams Meeting: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_ZGRjNzNjMjEtOWJmMi00ODUxLWE2MjEtODM0M2FiMzQxMjE5%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%22%7d

+1 213-437-3346 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)

Conference ID: 570 955 823#

Local numbers: 
https://dialin.teams.microsoft.com/488d1b50-0dd2-4ca1-aee4-92bb50a48081?id=570955823

 


Live meeting minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IQKBK-GcJNZG0O9QArqYfvb6Huk5xHscN-XIGEZr-z8/edit#heading=h.x36xe8bnwr9r


Updated Event: Zephyr Project: APIs #cal-invite

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Zephyr Project: APIs

When:
Tuesday, 26 May 2020
4:00pm to 5:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC
Repeats: Weekly on Tuesday

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: devel@...

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Description:
Join Microsoft Teams Meeting:
https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_YzYzZTAzNGItOWFiMS00MDBkLTkyYmMtNzljZjkwNDVlMThm%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%22%7d

+1 213-437-3346 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)

Conference ID: 262 362 129#

Local numbers: 
https://dialin.teams.microsoft.com/488d1b50-0dd2-4ca1-aee4-92bb50a48081?id=262362129


 Live meeting minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lv-8B5QE2m4FjBcvfqAXFIgQfW5oz6306zJ7GIZIWCk/edit?usp=sharing


Updated Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting #cal-invite

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

When:
Thursday, 21 May 2020
3:00pm to 4:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC
Repeats: Weekly on Thursday

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: devel@...

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Description:
Join Microsoft Teams Meeting: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_M2Q2ZDk4OWItMWE2MS00MTExLTkyYTQtNmUwOTA4MzgwOGYw%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%22%7d

+1 213-437-3346 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 750 623 026#


Local numbers: 
https://dialin.teams.microsoft.com/488d1b50-0dd2-4ca1-aee4-92bb50a48081?id=750623026


Re: TLS using Sara u201 or generic gsm modem #gsm_modem

Jukka Rissanen
 

I was not able to connect to net using Boron, it is probably some minor
thing, but you need at least my PR to try it.

I have used SIM808 modem which works fine with generic GSM modem.

Cheers,
Jukka

On Wed, 2020-05-20 at 16:21 +0000, Ricardo Gutierrez wrote:
Hi Jukka,

I don't have it. Is it difficult to have the setup for the sara under
generic GSM?. What problems did you have?. I'll take a look to your
link. What other modem did you try on?



Thanks!


-----Original Message-----
From: Jukka Rissanen <jukka.rissanen@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 10:56 AM
To: Ricardo Gutierrez <ricardo.gutierrez@...>;
devel@...
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] TLS using Sara u201 or generic gsm modem
#gsm_modem #gsm_modem

Hi Ricardo,

having a secure connection to AWS over the generic GSM modem should
work just fine. Do you have a working setup for generic GSM modem
with Particle Boron board? I am asking because I had some issues last
time I tried it (several months ago), there is also a preliminary PR
for it
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/22598


Cheers,
Jukka


On Wed, 2020-05-20 at 06:41 -0700, Ricardo Gutierrez wrote:
Hi there,

I'm using Sara U201 with Particle boron to transmit data to an
mqtt
server in the cloud. The problem I'm facing now is that I need to
have
a secure connection using TLS to connect to AWS. Is this possible?
Do
I need to use Sara U201 or should I use thegthe gsm option?


Thanks a lot!

Thanks.


Re: TLS using Sara u201 or generic gsm modem #gsm_modem

Ricardo Gutierrez
 

Hi Jukka,

I don't have it. Is it difficult to have the setup for the sara under generic GSM?. What problems did you have?. I'll take a look to your link. What other modem did you try on?



Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jukka Rissanen <jukka.rissanen@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 10:56 AM
To: Ricardo Gutierrez <ricardo.gutierrez@...>; devel@...
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] TLS using Sara u201 or generic gsm modem #gsm_modem #gsm_modem

Hi Ricardo,

having a secure connection to AWS over the generic GSM modem should work just fine. Do you have a working setup for generic GSM modem with Particle Boron board? I am asking because I had some issues last time I tried it (several months ago), there is also a preliminary PR for it
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/22598


Cheers,
Jukka


On Wed, 2020-05-20 at 06:41 -0700, Ricardo Gutierrez wrote:
Hi there,

I'm using Sara U201 with Particle boron to transmit data to an mqtt
server in the cloud. The problem I'm facing now is that I need to have
a secure connection using TLS to connect to AWS. Is this possible? Do
I need to use Sara U201 or should I use thegthe gsm option?


Thanks a lot!

Thanks.


Re: TLS using Sara u201 or generic gsm modem #gsm_modem

Jukka Rissanen
 

Hi Ricardo,

having a secure connection to AWS over the generic GSM modem should
work just fine. Do you have a working setup for generic GSM modem with
Particle Boron board? I am asking because I had some issues last time I
tried it (several months ago), there is also a preliminary PR for it
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/22598


Cheers,
Jukka

On Wed, 2020-05-20 at 06:41 -0700, Ricardo Gutierrez wrote:
Hi there,

I'm using Sara U201 with Particle boron to transmit data to an mqtt
server in the cloud. The problem I'm facing now is that I need to
have a secure connection using TLS to connect to AWS. Is this
possible? Do I need to use Sara U201 or should I use thegthe gsm
option?


Thanks a lot!

Thanks.


TLS using Sara u201 or generic gsm modem #gsm_modem

Ricardo Gutierrez
 

Hi there,

I'm using Sara U201 with Particle boron to transmit data to an mqtt server in the cloud. The problem I'm facing now is that I need to have a secure connection using TLS to connect to AWS. Is this possible? Do I need to use Sara U201 or should I use thegthe gsm 
option?


Thanks a lot!

Thanks. 


Re: Getting LWM2M client working on linux emulator

Jukka Rissanen
 

Hi Brenton,

you can follow the instructions at
https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/guides/networking/qemu_eth_setup.html#networking-with-eth-qemu

LWM2M and most of the networking samples will work fine with qemu.

Cheers,
Jukka

On Wed, 2020-05-20 at 09:11 +0200, Brenton Chetty wrote:
Hi there, my name is Brenton, I am a recent graduate and was tasked
to compare RIOT OS with Zephyr.
I managed to get the Hello world example working with Zephyr, however
I could not get the LWM2M client working on the linux emulator.
I receive this error message:
"
qemu-system-arm: -serial unix:/tmp/slip.sock: Failed to connect
socket /tmp/slip.sock: No such file or directory

qemu-system-arm: -serial unix:/tmp/slip.sock: could not connect
serial device to character backend 'unix:/tmp/slip.sock'

FAILED: zephyr/CMakeFiles/run
"
Does anyone know how I can get this working on the linux emulator?

With thanks
Brenton


Getting LWM2M client working on linux emulator

Brenton Chetty
 

Hi there, my name is Brenton, I am a recent graduate and was tasked to compare RIOT OS with Zephyr.
I managed to get the Hello world example working with Zephyr, however I could not get the LWM2M client working on the linux emulator.
I receive this error message:
"
  qemu-system-arm: -serial unix:/tmp/slip.sock: Failed to connect socket /tmp/slip.sock: No such file or directory

  qemu-system-arm: -serial unix:/tmp/slip.sock: could not connect serial device to character backend 'unix:/tmp/slip.sock'

  FAILED: zephyr/CMakeFiles/run
"
Does anyone know how I can get this working on the linux emulator?

With thanks
Brenton


Re: API meeting: agenda

Carles Cufi
 

Hi Simon,

Is that the correct notes link? I don't see any notes since March.
Yes, unfortunately that is the correct notes link. I am terrible at keeping meeting minutes, apologies for that. That said I do always comment on the relevant Pull Requests or issues during the meeting by prefixing the comment with "API meeting:".

Carles


On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 08:05, Carles Cufi <carles.cufi@...>
wrote:

Hi all,

*************************************************
We will be using Teams instead of Zoom:
https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-
join/19%3ameeting_YzYzZTAzNGItOWFiMS00MDBkLTkyYmMtNzljZjkwNDVlMThm%40thr
ead.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-
d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-
f04e4e156f10%22%7d
*************************************************

Today's topics:

- Documenting API behavior in Doxygen:
- Issue: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/18970
- Issue: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/21061
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/25411

- Any API-related PRs or issues that are related to the 2.3 release

Additional items in the "Triage" column in the GitHub project may be
discussed if time permits.
If you want an item included in the meeting, please add it to the
GitHub project.

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/wiki/Zephyr-Committee-
and-Working-Group-Meetings#zephyr-api-discussion
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/projects/18
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lv-
8B5QE2m4FjBcvfqAXFIgQfW5oz6306zJ7GIZIWCk/edit

Regards,

Carles







Re: API meeting: agenda

Simon Glass
 

Hi Carles,

Is that the correct notes link? I don't see any notes since March.

Regards,
SImon

On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 08:05, Carles Cufi <carles.cufi@...> wrote:

Hi all,

*************************************************
We will be using Teams instead of Zoom:
https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_YzYzZTAzNGItOWFiMS00MDBkLTkyYmMtNzljZjkwNDVlMThm%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%22%7d
*************************************************

Today's topics:

- Documenting API behavior in Doxygen:
- Issue: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/18970
- Issue: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/21061
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/25411

- Any API-related PRs or issues that are related to the 2.3 release

Additional items in the "Triage" column in the GitHub project may be discussed if time permits.
If you want an item included in the meeting, please add it to the GitHub project.

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/wiki/Zephyr-Committee-and-Working-Group-Meetings#zephyr-api-discussion
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/projects/18
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lv-8B5QE2m4FjBcvfqAXFIgQfW5oz6306zJ7GIZIWCk/edit

Regards,

Carles