Date   

Re: [Members] Enforcing a 2-approval policy in GitHub: request for more help with PR reviewing

Paul Sokolovsky
 

Hello Ioannis,

On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 21:05:02 +0000
"Glaropoulos, Ioannis" <Ioannis.Glaropoulos@...> wrote:

Dear Zephyr developers,
According to the Zephyr Project Roles and Contribution Guidelines
documentation
(https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/contribute/project_roles.html#merge-criteria),
pull requests against the Project’s main branch may be merged with 2
approvals. Until now, we have been applying this policy in GitHub,
exclusively during Zephyr release stabilization periods (applying
1-approval policy, otherwise). I would like to notify everyone that
as of now we will permanently enforce the 2-approval policy.
Consequently, from now on, we will be needing extra assistance in PR
reviews to maintain a high-enough rate of getting PRs approved and
merged to Zephyr master branch.
Thanks for the notification, Ioannis. I might have missed the discussion
and decision-making behind this change, can you please point to the
discussion thread where it happened?


A big thanks-in-advance to all for your extra efforts in PR reviewing
😊 Best Regards,
Ioannis glaropoulos | R&D
P +47 21 08 88 37 | Oslo, Norway
nordicsemi.com<http://www.nordicsemi.com/> |
devzone.nordicsemi.com<https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/>

[Nordic_logo_signature]<http://www.nordicsemi.com/>
[]

--
Best Regards,
Paul

Linaro.org | Open source software for ARM SoCs
Follow Linaro: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro
http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg - http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog


Re: override alias in test application

Bolivar, Marti
 

Hello,

There's no need to open an issue.

The alias should be named eeprom-0 in a DTS file,

aliases {
eeprom-0 = ...;
};

but needs to be eeprom_0 (i.e. "lowercase-and-underscores" form) in C,
because "-" is not part of a valid C identifier.

For details, please see the DT_ALIAS documentation:
https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/reference/devicetree/index.html#c.DT_ALIAS

In particular,

"Convert non-alphanumeric characters in the alias property to
underscores to form valid C tokens, and lowercase all letters."

Please see also this section in the troubleshooting section in the
deviceetree HOWTOs:

https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/guides/dts/howtos.html#make-sure-you-re-using-the-right-names

Thanks,
Marti

Stefano Manni <stefano.manni@...> writes:

Hi Carles,

thanks, I managed like this:

/ {
aliases {
eeprom_0 = &eeprom0;
};
};

but eeprom_0 is not a valid alias:

dtlib.DTError: /aliases: alias property name 'eeprom_0' should include
only characters from [0-9a-z-]

may I open an issue?

Stefano

Il giorno mar 9 giu 2020 alle ore 10:27 Cufi, Carles
<Carles.Cufi@...> ha scritto:

For properties there is /delete-property/ to delete one and then be able to override it.
In the case of an alias I am not sure, have you tried to override it directly?

Carles

On 08/06/2020, 19:31, "devel@... on behalf of Stefano Manni via lists.zephyrproject.org" <devel@... on behalf of stefano.manni=gmail.com@...> wrote:

Hi there,

I'm trying to compile test/drivers/eeprom for my board. I see that the
code requires the alias 'eeprom_0' defined, but my board does not have
it natively.

I managed to compile changing in the test app some lines like below:

- eeprom = device_get_binding(DT_LABEL(DT_ALIAS(eeprom_0)));
+ eeprom = device_get_binding(DT_LABEL(DT_NODELABEL(eeprom0)));

where eeprom0 is defined in an overlay for my boards.

But I'd prefer to use the alias and not change the app.
What is the right way to override an alias in an overlay file? Sorry
if my question is already addressed somewhere in documentation.

Another consideration: is 'eeprom_0' a valid name? Alias properties
should include only characters from [0-9a-z-]. May we need to fix it?

Thanks,
Stefano





Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: APIs - Tue, 06/09/2020 4:00pm-5:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr Project: APIs

When: Tuesday, 9 June 2020, 4:00pm to 5:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: devel@...

Description:

Meeting decisions/discussions in their respective PRs, tracked here: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/projects/18


________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 317 990 129#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Re: override alias in test application

Stefano Manni
 

Hi Carles,

thanks, I managed like this:

/ {
aliases {
eeprom_0 = &eeprom0;
};
};

but eeprom_0 is not a valid alias:

dtlib.DTError: /aliases: alias property name 'eeprom_0' should include
only characters from [0-9a-z-]

may I open an issue?

Stefano

Il giorno mar 9 giu 2020 alle ore 10:27 Cufi, Carles
<Carles.Cufi@...> ha scritto:

For properties there is /delete-property/ to delete one and then be able to override it.
In the case of an alias I am not sure, have you tried to override it directly?

Carles

On 08/06/2020, 19:31, "devel@... on behalf of Stefano Manni via lists.zephyrproject.org" <devel@... on behalf of stefano.manni=gmail.com@...> wrote:

Hi there,

I'm trying to compile test/drivers/eeprom for my board. I see that the
code requires the alias 'eeprom_0' defined, but my board does not have
it natively.

I managed to compile changing in the test app some lines like below:

- eeprom = device_get_binding(DT_LABEL(DT_ALIAS(eeprom_0)));
+ eeprom = device_get_binding(DT_LABEL(DT_NODELABEL(eeprom0)));

where eeprom0 is defined in an overlay for my boards.

But I'd prefer to use the alias and not change the app.
What is the right way to override an alias in an overlay file? Sorry
if my question is already addressed somewhere in documentation.

Another consideration: is 'eeprom_0' a valid name? Alias properties
should include only characters from [0-9a-z-]. May we need to fix it?

Thanks,
Stefano





Re: API meeting: agenda

Carles Cufi
 

Hi all,

A small addition to the agenda:

- PWM: add functions for capturing pwm pulse width and period
- Issue: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/26026

Carles

-----Original Message-----
From: devel@... <devel@...> On
Behalf Of Carles Cufi via lists.zephyrproject.org
Sent: 09 June 2020 10:35
To: users@...; devel@...
Cc: Snekvik, Trond Einar <Trond.Einar.Snekvik@...>
Subject: [Zephyr-devel] API meeting: agenda

Hi all,

*************************************************
We will be using Teams instead of Zoom:
https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-
join/19%3ameeting_YzYzZTAzNGItOWFiMS00MDBkLTkyYmMtNzljZjkwNDVlMThm%40thr
ead.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-
d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-
f04e4e156f10%22%7d
*************************************************

Today's topics:

- PWM: Clarify expected behavior
- PR https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/25587

- API Change: Call UART_RX_RDY event after rx_disable()
- Issue https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/25317
- PR https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/25967

- API Change: Mesh: Add name parameter
- Issue https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/26037

Additional topics to review and close:

- QSPI flash drivers:
- Should we revisit the common QSPI API?
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/20069
- Should it be part of the current SPI API?
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/17902
- If not, should we try to unify the common functionality in the
multiple QSPI flash drivers?
- https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/25806
- https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/25669

- SPI JEDEC runtime support
- PR https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/23658

- RTC API follow-up (if the relevant people are present and there is
material for discussion)
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/23526

Pending additional investigation:
- Documenting API behavior in Doxygen:
- Issue: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/18970
- Issue: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/21061

Additional items in the "Triage" column in the GitHub project may be
discussed if time permits.
If you want an item included in the meeting, please add it to the GitHub
project.

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/wiki/Zephyr-Committee-and-
Working-Group-Meetings#zephyr-api-discussion
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/projects/18
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lv-
8B5QE2m4FjBcvfqAXFIgQfW5oz6306zJ7GIZIWCk/edit

Regards,

Carles



API meeting: agenda

Carles Cufi
 

Hi all,

*************************************************
We will be using Teams instead of Zoom:
https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_YzYzZTAzNGItOWFiMS00MDBkLTkyYmMtNzljZjkwNDVlMThm%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%22%7d
*************************************************

Today's topics:

- PWM: Clarify expected behavior
- PR https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/25587

- API Change: Call UART_RX_RDY event after rx_disable()
- Issue https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/25317
- PR https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/25967

- API Change: Mesh: Add name parameter
- Issue https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/26037

Additional topics to review and close:

- QSPI flash drivers:
- Should we revisit the common QSPI API? https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/20069
- Should it be part of the current SPI API? https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/17902
- If not, should we try to unify the common functionality in the multiple QSPI flash drivers?
- https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/25806
- https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/25669

- SPI JEDEC runtime support
- PR https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/23658

- RTC API follow-up (if the relevant people are present and there is material for discussion)
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/23526

Pending additional investigation:
- Documenting API behavior in Doxygen:
- Issue: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/18970
- Issue: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/21061

Additional items in the "Triage" column in the GitHub project may be discussed if time permits.
If you want an item included in the meeting, please add it to the GitHub project.

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/wiki/Zephyr-Committee-and-Working-Group-Meetings#zephyr-api-discussion
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/projects/18
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lv-8B5QE2m4FjBcvfqAXFIgQfW5oz6306zJ7GIZIWCk/edit

Regards,

Carles


Re: override alias in test application

Carles Cufi
 

For properties there is /delete-property/ to delete one and then be able to override it.
In the case of an alias I am not sure, have you tried to override it directly?

Carles

On 08/06/2020, 19:31, "devel@... on behalf of Stefano Manni via lists.zephyrproject.org" <devel@... on behalf of stefano.manni=gmail.com@...> wrote:

Hi there,

I'm trying to compile test/drivers/eeprom for my board. I see that the
code requires the alias 'eeprom_0' defined, but my board does not have
it natively.

I managed to compile changing in the test app some lines like below:

- eeprom = device_get_binding(DT_LABEL(DT_ALIAS(eeprom_0)));
+ eeprom = device_get_binding(DT_LABEL(DT_NODELABEL(eeprom0)));

where eeprom0 is defined in an overlay for my boards.

But I'd prefer to use the alias and not change the app.
What is the right way to override an alias in an overlay file? Sorry
if my question is already addressed somewhere in documentation.

Another consideration: is 'eeprom_0' a valid name? Alias properties
should include only characters from [0-9a-z-]. May we need to fix it?

Thanks,
Stefano


Enforcing a 2-approval policy in GitHub: request for more help with PR reviewing

Glaropoulos, Ioannis
 

Dear Zephyr developers,

According to the Zephyr Project Roles and Contribution Guidelines documentation (https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/contribute/project_roles.html#merge-criteria), pull requests against the Project’s main branch may be merged with 2 approvals. Until now, we have been applying this policy in GitHub, exclusively during Zephyr release stabilization periods (applying 1-approval policy, otherwise). I would like to notify everyone that as of now we will permanently enforce the 2-approval policy.

Consequently, from now on, we will be needing extra assistance in PR reviews to maintain a high-enough rate of getting PRs approved and merged to Zephyr master branch.

 

A big thanks-in-advance to all for your extra efforts in PR reviewing 😊

Best Regards,

Ioannis glaropoulos | R&D
P +47 21 08 88 37 | Oslo, Norway

nordicsemi.com | devzone.nordicsemi.com

 

Nordic_logo_signature

 


override alias in test application

Stefano Manni
 

Hi there,

I'm trying to compile test/drivers/eeprom for my board. I see that the
code requires the alias 'eeprom_0' defined, but my board does not have
it natively.

I managed to compile changing in the test app some lines like below:

- eeprom = device_get_binding(DT_LABEL(DT_ALIAS(eeprom_0)));
+ eeprom = device_get_binding(DT_LABEL(DT_NODELABEL(eeprom0)));

where eeprom0 is defined in an overlay for my boards.

But I'd prefer to use the alias and not change the app.
What is the right way to override an alias in an overlay file? Sorry
if my question is already addressed somewhere in documentation.

Another consideration: is 'eeprom_0' a valid name? Alias properties
should include only characters from [0-9a-z-]. May we need to fix it?

Thanks,
Stefano


Rebasing PRs post 2.3 merge window opening

Kumar Gala
 

All,

Please make sure to rebase PRs post the 2.3 merge window opening as the change to make C99 integer (PR #25679) types the default supported type in Zephyr will impact most PRs. Ensuring a rebase will make sure the PRs go back through CI and we catch any build issues.

Thanks

- k


Re: Optional drivers and board configuration

Carles Cufi
 

HI Michael,

 

I’d say he cleanest way is to do it at the SoC level, like this:

 

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/master/soc/arm/atmel_sam/same70/Kconfig.defconfig.series#L83

 

That way every single board that enables CONFIG_PWM in its defconfig (or any application that enables CONFIG_PWM) will be enabling CONFIG_PWM_SAM. But boards or applications that do not enable CONFIG_PWM will have CONFIG_PWM_SAM disabled.

 

Carles

 

From: <devel@...> on behalf of "Michael Hope via lists.zephyrproject.org" <michaelh=juju.nz@...>
Reply-To: "michaelh@..." <michaelh@...>
Date: Sunday, 7 June 2020 at 19:32
To: devel <devel@...>
Subject: [Zephyr-devel] Optional drivers and board configuration

 

Hi there.  I'm adding a new SAM0 based board.  What's the best way to enable optional peripherals?  For example, not all users need the PWM driver.  Should I:

- Put CONFIG_PWM=y and CONFIG_PWM_SAM0=y in defconfig and live with the unneeded code?
- Put CONFIG_PWM_SAM0=y in defconfig and ignore the warning?
- or add a

config PWM_SAM0
    default y

    depends on PWM

 

section to Kconfig.board?

 

Thanks,

 

-- Michael


Optional drivers and board configuration

Michael Hope
 

Hi there.  I'm adding a new SAM0 based board.  What's the best way to enable optional peripherals?  For example, not all users need the PWM driver.  Should I:

- Put CONFIG_PWM=y and CONFIG_PWM_SAM0=y in defconfig and live with the unneeded code?
- Put CONFIG_PWM_SAM0=y in defconfig and ignore the warning?
- or add a

config PWM_SAM0
    default y
    depends on PWM

section to Kconfig.board?

Thanks,

-- Michael


Zephyr v2.3.0 released

Carles Cufi
 

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce the release of Zephyr RTOS version 2.3.0.

Major enhancements with this release include:

* A new Zephyr CMake package has been introduced, reducing the need for
environment variables

* A new Devicetree API, based on hierarchical macros, has been introduced. This
new API allows the C code to access virtually all nodes and properties in a
clean, organized fashion

* The kernel timeout API has been overhauled to be flexible and configurable,
with future support for features like 64-bit and absolute timeouts in mind

* A new k_heap/sys_heap heap allocator has been introduced, with much better
performance than the existing k_mem_pool/sys_mem_pool
Zephyr now integrates with the TF-M (Trusted Firmware M) PSA-compliant
framework

* The Bluetooth Low Energy Host now supports LE Advertising Extensions

* The CMSIS-DSP library is now included and integrated

The detailed release notes can be found here:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/releases/tag/zephyr-v2.3.0

The next release, v2.4.0, is tentatively scheduled for September 25th 2020.

I would like to thank everybody who contributed to this release, be it with code, feedback or documentation.

Thanks,

Carles


Updated Event: Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group #cal-invite

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group

When:
Thursday, 28 May 2020
2:00pm to 3:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC
Repeats: Every 2 weeks on Thursday, through Thursday, 23 July 2020

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: Maureen Helm

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Description:

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 682 738 030#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Updated Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting #cal-invite

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

When:
Thursday, 21 May 2020
3:00pm to 4:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC
Repeats: Weekly on Thursday

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: devel@...

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Description:

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 483 314 739#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting - Thu, 06/04/2020 3:00pm-4:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

When: Thursday, 4 June 2020, 3:00pm to 4:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: devel@...

Description: Join Microsoft Teams Meeting: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_M2Q2ZDk4OWItMWE2MS00MTExLTkyYTQtNmUwOTA4MzgwOGYw%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%22%7d

+1 213-437-3346 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 750 623 026#


Local numbers: 
https://dialin.teams.microsoft.com/488d1b50-0dd2-4ca1-aee4-92bb50a48081?id=750623026


Dev-Review Meeting Agenda Jun 4

Kumar Gala
 

Here’s the agenda topics for this week:

* Concept Overview for improving support for serial flash devices via SPI and QSPI [Peter]:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/25958

* optimize integration testing in CI [Anas]:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/25703

* 2.4 plans

* Any topics anyone else has.

- k


Updated Event: Zephyr Project: APIs #cal-invite

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Zephyr Project: APIs

When:
Tuesday, 26 May 2020
4:00pm to 5:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC
Repeats: Weekly on Tuesday

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: devel@...

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Description:

Meeting decisions/discussions in their respective PRs, tracked here: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/projects/18


________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 317 990 129#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________


Zephyr 2.3.0-rc2 tagged

Carles Cufi
 

Hi all,

The second release candidate for Zephyr 2.3.0 has now been tagged (v2.3.0-rc2).

The current issue counts are:

- 1 high-priority bug
- 16 medium-priority bugs

The high-priority bug (#23364) has a PR (#25954), but a waiver to release without a fix for this particular issue has been requested, due to the invasiveness of the Pull Request and the risk of merging it this late in the release cycle. A note would be added to the release notes and a subsequent 2.3.1 would be released to address this issue.

During the days left until the release, I would encourage everybody to test thoroughly and file any issues found so that they can be fixed as quickly as possible. Additionally, there are still sections in the release notes that need filling, those can be tracked here:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/25869

The full release log can be found here:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/releases/tag/v2.3.0-rc2

More details about Zephyr releases can found on the pages below:
https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/development_process/release_process.html
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/wiki/Program-Management

The final release remains scheduled for June 5th.

Thank you to everybody who contributed to this release so far!

Carles


Running LWM2M client on nucleo_wb55rg

Brenton Chetty <brent7984@...>
 

Hi, I am new to Zephyr.
I managed to get the LWM2M client working using qemu.
How do I get lwm2m working on the nucleo_wb55rg?
On RIOT OS, I had to make use of a border router and tap interface to get the board communicating with the leshan server on my pc.

With thanks
Brenton