Date

Re: Replay protection

Johan Hedberg

Hi Steve,

On Sat, Dec 09, 2017, Steve Brown wrote:
These are publish retransmits. However, the transaction ID's in the
received messages are all the same. It's the "trans_id" field in the
log in my earlier post.
If I understand right, then the transaction id is a model-layer feature,
so you'd need to take care of correct handling of duplicates in your
message handler.

An upper layer, like my server, getting multiple messages with the same
sequence number isn't what I'd expect. What am I missing?
Are you mixing transaction id (a model layer feature) and sequence
number (network/transport layer feature)? I didn't see any indication
that your handlers would be getting the same squence number multiple
times, rather they're getting the same transaction id multiple times.
Sequence number duplicates should get filtered out latest by the
transport layer's replay protection (if the network message cache didn't
catch them before that).

Johan

Re: Replay protection

Steve Brown

Hi Johan,

On Sat, 2017-12-09 at 22:19 +0200, Johan Hedberg wrote:
Hi Steve,

On Sat, Dec 09, 2017, Steve Brown wrote:
Is replay protection implemented?
Yes, take a look at is_replay() in transport.c

The reason for the question is that my server is receiving both the
initial publish transmit as well as the subsequent retransmits.
Are these network layer retransmits (Network Transmit state-induced)
or
caused by Publish Retransmit? If it's the latter, then the behavior
is
as expected since Publish Retransmit is supposed to encode a new
message
each time, i.e. each transmission has a new sequence number (I've had
double-check this with the Mesh Working Group since it's a bit
unclear
in the spec).

Johan
These are publish retransmits. However, the transaction ID's in the
received messages are all the same. It's the "trans_id" field in the
log in my earlier post.

An upper layer, like my server, getting multiple messages with the same
sequence number isn't what I'd expect. What am I missing?

I'll look further at is_replay().

Below is a more extensive log.

Steve

pin: 0x00001000
pin: 0x00001000 sw: 1 onoff: 00
button_send_pressed pub cli onoff: 0x0001 sw_idx: 0x0001
gen_onoff_set
gen_onoff_set_unack elem: 0x00 state: 0x01 trans_id: 0x0e src: 0x0101
gen_onoff_get elem: 0x0000 onoff: 0x01
Node 0x0101 received OnOff status from 0x0100 with state 0x01
gen_onoff_set
gen_onoff_set_unack elem: 0x00 state: 0x01 trans_id: 0x0e src: 0x0101
gen_onoff_get elem: 0x0000 onoff: 0x01
Node 0x0101 received OnOff status from 0x0100 with state 0x01
gen_onoff_set
gen_onoff_set_unack elem: 0x00 state: 0x01 trans_id: 0x0e src: 0x0101
gen_onoff_get elem: 0x0000 onoff: 0x01
Node 0x0101 received OnOff status fropin: 0x00001000
m 0x0100 with state 0x01
pin: 0x00001000 sw: 1 onoff: 01
button_send_pressed pub cli onoff: 0x0000 sw_idx: 0x0001
gen_onoff_set
gen_onoff_set_unack elem: 0x00 state: 0x00 trans_id: 0x0f src: 0x0101
gen_onoff_get elem: 0x0000 onoff: 0x00
Node 0x0101 received OnOff status from 0x0100 with state 0x00
[...]

each time, i.e. each transmission has a new sequence number (I've had to
double-check this with the Mesh Working Group since it's a bit unclear
in the spec).

Johan

Replay protection

Steve Brown

Is replay protection implemented?

The reason for the question is that my server is receiving both the
initial publish transmit as well as the subsequent retransmits.

The server is at 0x0100 and is subscribed to 0xc000

Steve

pin: 0x00001000
pin: 0x00001000 sw: 1 onoff: 01
button_send_pressed pub cli onoff: 0x0000 sw_idx: 0x0001
gen_onoff_set
gen_onoff_set_unack elem: 0x00 state: 0x00 trans_id: 0x01 src: 0x0101
gen_onoff_get elem: 0x0000 onoff: 0x00
OnOff Status from 0x0100 with state 0x00
gen_onoff_set
gen_onoff_set_unack elem: 0x00 state: 0x00 trans_id: 0x01 src: 0x0101
gen_onoff_get elem: 0x0000 onoff: 0x00
OnOff Status from 0x0100 with state 0x00
gen_onoff_set
gen_onoff_set_unack elem: 0x00 state: 0x00 trans_id: 0x01 src: 0x0101
gen_onoff_get elem: 0x0000 onoff: 0x00
OnOff Status from 0x0100 with state 0x00

Re: PR check fail

Nashif, Anas

Looking into that, would suggest opening an issue..

From: Steve Brown <sbrown@...>

Date: December 8, 2017 at 1:32:37 AM PST

To: "Cufi, Carles" <Carles.Cufi@...>, Steve Brown <sbrown@...>, "Zarkhin, Gene" <Gene_Zarkhin@...>, "Kinder, David B" <david.b.kinder@...>, "zephyr-devel@..." <zephyr-devel@...>

Hi Charles,

On Fri, 2017-12-08 at 08:35 +0000, Cufi, Carles wrote:

Hi Gene,

From: Steve Brown <sbrown@...>

Date: December 8, 2017 at 1:32:37 AM PST

To: "Cufi, Carles" <Carles.Cufi@...>, Steve Brown <sbrown@...>, "Zarkhin, Gene" <Gene_Zarkhin@...>, "Kinder, David B" <david.b.kinder@...>, "zephyr-devel@lists.zephyrproject.org" <zephyr-devel@lists.zephyrproject.org>

Zarkhin, Gene <Gene_Zarkhin@...>

From: Steve Brown <sbrown@...>
Date: December 8, 2017 at 1:32:37 AM PST
To: "Cufi, Carles" <Carles.Cufi@...>, Steve Brown <sbrown@...>, "Zarkhin, Gene" <Gene_Zarkhin@...>, "Kinder, David B" <david.b.kinder@...>, "zephyr-devel@...ect.org" <zephyr-devel@...ect.org>

[...]

Re: Disabling Relay feature of a node of bluetooth mesh

ashish.shukla@corvi.com <ashish.shukla@...>

Hi Johan,

>There's something not matching up with the description of your
configuration however.
>You said that NODE1 has both Relay and GATT Proxy
states disabled

for NODE1, Proxy is enabled. This explains relaying of messages over advertising.

--
Warm regards,
Ashish Shukla

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Johan Hedberg <johan.hedberg@...> wrote:
Hi Ashish,

On Fri, Dec 08, 2017, Johan Hedberg wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2017, ashish.shukla@... wrote:
> > NODE1 does receives the messages and process it. But it relay/forward the
> > same message to network by reducing TTL value by 1.
> >
> > In my case, GATT client is mobile phone so it isn't possible to know
> > whether it receives something or not, for now.
> >
> > I'm attaching snapshot of terminal of NODE1, when it receives messages from
> > NODE2 on pressing the button.
>
> Are you concluding that the relaying happens because you see the
> "Relaying packet" log message? If so, then that's a wrong assumption,
> and the log message is indeed misleading. Please take a look at the
> bt_mesh_net_relay() function in net.c. You'll see that the log message
> is printed as soon as some basic checks are passed, but that does not
> mean that bt_mesh_adv_send() at the end of the function will get called,
> since that's still behind the relay_to_adv() check.

There's something not matching up with the description of your
configuration however. You said that NODE1 has both Relay and GATT Proxy
states disabled, however bt_mesh_net_relay() has the following test
before printing the log message that could be seen on your console:

        if (rx->net_if == BT_MESH_NET_IF_ADV &&
            bt_mesh_relay_get() != BT_MESH_RELAY_ENABLED &&
            bt_mesh_gatt_proxy_get() != BT_MESH_GATT_PROXY_ENABLED) {
                return;
        }

So the function should bail out at this point for any packet received
over advertising when neither Relay nor GATT Proxy is set to enabled.
Your logs show that the packet was received over net_if 0, which is
BT_MESH_NET_IF_ADV, so based on the fact that the code continued from
this point it seems you had either Relay or GATT Proxy enabled.

Johan

Re: Disabling Relay feature of a node of bluetooth mesh

ashish.shukla@corvi.com <ashish.shukla@...>

Hi Johan,

Thanks for in detailed explanation, that clarified related issues.

--
Warm regards,
Ashish Shukla

Hi Ashish,

On Fri, Dec 08, 2017, ashish.shukla@corvi.com wrote:
[...]

Puzdrowski, Andrzej

Hi Gene

Maybe your mass storage issue is a problem with assigning free disk letter on windows? There are loot of tutorials how to fix this.

BR

Andrzej