Date

Re: User Mode Drivers #driver

Bolivar, Marti

Hi,

Jett ✈ Rink via lists.zephyrproject.org
<jettrink=google.com@lists.zephyrproject.org> writes:

Lastly, should "user mode devices" be present in the device tree or not? If
we wanted to use the device tree to express how external ICs were
connected, does that force us to make all drivers in the kernel or would
there be flexibility to use the device tree for "user mode devices"?
The devicetree describes the hardware. Whether or not a particular
software driver runs in user mode or not is an orthogonal question IMO.

If you are able to write a user mode driver as you describe, I don't see
why the hardware shouldn't be in the DT. You'll still want the device
labels in there to pass to device_get_binding(), for instance.

Martí

Does ISR cause a preemptible thread to be swapped out

George Kumar

Hi,

In Zephyr scheduling, after an ISR is done, can a preemptible thread be swapped out, and a higher priority thread, if ready, is allowed to run?

I understand the behaviour for the cooperative threads, but now sure if after an ISR a context switch can happen for preemptible threads.

Thanks.
George

User Mode Drivers #driver

Jett ✈ Rink

Hey all,

Do all "drivers" need to be run in supervisor mode (within the kernel)? I am specifically thinking about external ICs that are connected to an embedded controller running Zephyr via i2c/SPI/etc.

Take, for example, the drivers for certain EEPROMs. The EEPROM drivers do not actually need to run within the kernel, but only need permission for the SPI kernel device that the EEPROM is attached to.

Within the principle of least privilege, should these drivers for external ICs that communicate over buses actually be kernel-level drivers, or should they be "user mode drivers" instead? Just for clarity, the drivers for hardware modules on the actual embedded controller should remain in the kernel.

Lastly, should "user mode devices" be present in the device tree or not? If we wanted to use the device tree to express how external ICs were connected, does that force us to make all drivers in the kernel or would there be flexibility to use the device tree for "user mode devices"?

Thank you for any input!

-Jett

Re: C++ user apps

Simon Glass <sjg@...>

Hi,

Thank you for the info!

Regards,
Simon

On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 at 23:54, Kim Bøndergaard <Kim.Bondergaard@prevas.dk> wrote:

See https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/reference/kernel/other/cxx_support.html?highlight=cxx

For application code it seems to be OK. You just have to enable it properly in your config:
Some of the configs I've been using:

CONFIG_STD_CPP11=y / CONFIG_STD_CPP14=y
CONFIG_NEWLIB_LIBC=y
CONFIG_CPLUSPLUS=y
CONFIG_LIB_CPLUSPLUS=y
CONFIG_RTTI=y

Beware of some of the pitfalls with e.g. exceptions.

Kim Bøndergaard
Prevas A/S
Team Manager / Systems Architect

Hedeager 3, DK-8200 Aarhus N