Date   
Dev-Review Meeting Agenda Apr 30

Kumar Gala
 

*******************************

NOTE: We will be using Microsoft Teams for this meeting instead of zoom. The link is here:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%253ameeting_ZGRjNzNjMjEtOWJmMi00ODUxLWE2MjEtODM0M2FiMzQxMjE5%2540thread.v2/0?context%3D%257b%2522Tid%2522%253a%2522686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%2522%252c%2522Oid%2522%253a%252262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%2522%257d&sa=D&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw31L674w1QwSe3e2DCSyFqt

*******************************

Here’s the agenda topics for this week:

* Review PR’s tagged with dev-review:

* arm: linker.ld: move bss section to ram end [@ioannisg]
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/21747

* RFC: Enable device by using dts, not Kconfig [@mbolivar-nordic]
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/10621

* devicetree: allow generation of properties that don't have a binding [@galak]
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/24773

* Any topics anyone else has.

- k

[2.3 release] Feature merge window close (M2) next week

Carles Cufi
 

Hi all,

This is just a reminder that the feature merge window close is on the 8th of May.
This means that any changes that are not bugfixes or documentation changes must be merged by then.

See the full timeline for the 2.3 release here:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/wiki/Program-Management#actual-and-planned-milestone-dates

Thanks,

Carles

Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: APIs - Tue, 04/28/2020 9:00am-10:00am, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr Project: APIs

When: Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 9:00am to 10:00am, (GMT-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: devel@...

Description: Join Microsoft Teams Meeting:
https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_YzYzZTAzNGItOWFiMS00MDBkLTkyYmMtNzljZjkwNDVlMThm%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%22%7d

+1 213-437-3346 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)

Conference ID: 262 362 129#

Local numbers: 
https://dialin.teams.microsoft.com/488d1b50-0dd2-4ca1-aee4-92bb50a48081?id=262362129


 Live meeting minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lv-8B5QE2m4FjBcvfqAXFIgQfW5oz6306zJ7GIZIWCk/edit?usp=sharing

API meeting: agenda

Carles Cufi
 

Hi all,

*************************************************
We will be using Teams instead of Zoom:
https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_YzYzZTAzNGItOWFiMS00MDBkLTkyYmMtNzljZjkwNDVlMThm%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%22%7d
*************************************************

Tomorrow's topics:

- Disabling a PWM signal:
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/24724

- RTC API follow-up (if the relevant people are present)
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/23526

- Documenting API behavior in Doxygen:
- Issue: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/18970
- Issue: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/21061

- clock_control extension to gather feedback
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/24334

Additional items in the "Triage" column in the GitHub project may be discussed if time permits.
If you want an item included in the meeting, please add it to the GitHub project.

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/wiki/Zephyr-Committee-and-Working-Group-Meetings#zephyr-api-discussion
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/projects/18
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lv-8B5QE2m4FjBcvfqAXFIgQfW5oz6306zJ7GIZIWCk/edit

Regards,

Carles

Updated Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting #cal-invite

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Updated Event: Zephyr Toolchain Working Group #cal-invite

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Zephyr Toolchain Working Group

When:
Thursday, 5 March 2020
7:00am to 8:00am
(UTC-08:00) America/Los Angeles
Repeats: Every 2 weeks on Thursday, through Thursday, 23 July 2020

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: Maureen Helm

Description:

Topic:  Zephyr Toolchain Working Group

Time: Mar 19, 2020 07:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

        Every 2 weeks on Thu, until Jul 23, 2020, 10 occurrence(s)

        Mar 19, 2020 07:00 AM

        Apr 2, 2020 07:00 AM

        Apr 16, 2020 07:00 AM

        Apr 30, 2020 07:00 AM

        May 14, 2020 07:00 AM

        May 28, 2020 07:00 AM

        Jun 11, 2020 07:00 AM

        Jun 25, 2020 07:00 AM

        Jul 9, 2020 07:00 AM

        Jul 23, 2020 07:00 AM

Join Microsoft Teams Meeting<https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_ZGRjNzNjMjEtOWJmMi00ODUxLWE2MjEtODM0M2FiMzQxMjE5%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%22%7d>
+1 213-437-3346<tel:+1%20213-437-3346,,570955823#> United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 570 955 823#
Local numbers<https://dialin.teams.microsoft.com/488d1b50-0dd2-4ca1-aee4-92bb50a48081?id=570955823> | Reset PIN<https://mysettings.lync.com/pstnconferencing> | Learn more about Teams<https://aka.ms/JoinTeamsMeeting> | Meeting options<https://teams.microsoft.com/meetingOptions/?organizerId=62b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10&tenantId=686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635&threadId=19_meeting_ZGRjNzNjMjEtOWJmMi00ODUxLWE2MjEtODM0M2FiMzQxMjE5@...&messageId=0&language=en-US>

 


Live meeting minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IQKBK-GcJNZG0O9QArqYfvb6Huk5xHscN-XIGEZr-z8/edit#heading=h.x36xe8bnwr9r

Updated Event: Zephyr Project: APIs #cal-invite

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting - Thu, 04/23/2020 8:00am-9:00am, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

When: Thursday, 23 April 2020, 8:00am to 9:00am, (GMT-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:https://zoom.us/j/993312203

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: devel@...

Description: Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/993312203

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,993312203# US (San Jose)
+16465588656,,993312203# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        +1 877 369 0926 US Toll-free
        +1 855 880 1246 US Toll-free
Meeting ID: 993 312 203
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ankEMRagf

Dev-Review Meeting Agenda Apr 23

Kumar Gala
 

*******************************

NOTE: We will be using Microsoft Teams for this meeting instead of zoom. The link is here:

https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_MTAzNTU5MTctNzc3OS00ZDI5LTgyZTEtZGVlYzcwOGExYTNm%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%22%7d

*******************************

Here’s the agenda topics for this week:

* Review PR’s tagged with dev-review

- drivers: eth: mcux: Make MAC address Kconfig global for driver
[ https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/24624 ]

- How to manage device and non-device initialization order:
[ https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/24416 ]

* Any topics anyone else has.

- k

Arch: RISC-V PMP on Qemu

antmc@...
 

Hello,
 
I am new here and I don't know if this is the right place to ask these kind of questions, if not, sorry!
 
Me and my friend are currently doing our thesis about RISC-V and the latest standard with physical memory protection (PMP) on embedded systems with no MMU. For this, we are using Zephyr RTOS (we have cloned the git repo) and the qemu_riscv32. We have currently not done any bigger changes to the kernel and arch files for RISC-V, instead we have created a small API that will set up the PMP registers, go to U-mode, test it etc. Now, to my main question: Does the qemu_riscv32 support the latest RISC-V standard? I wonder because when debugging, the pmp registers are all set and seems to be correct but sometimes the permissions are completely ignored. Maybe we have understood the RISC-V specification wrong... 
 
Example case:
A thread is created and the pmp registers are set to e.g. only allow RW to the stack region and RX to the code region (we use A-TOR to set the ranges). For the code region it seems to work as expected in most cases (Remove the X permissions raises a fault etc). But for the stack region it does not work when trying to execute a binary located in the stack (i.e. the binary gets executed even though there is no X permissions).
 
Thanks!

Re: scripts/subfolder_list.py: os.symlink: OSError: [Errno 36] File name too long

Rasmussen, Torsten
 

Hi,

This is actually a bug, and is fixed now:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/24584

Regards

Torsten

safely calling bt_gatt_subscribe_params.notify #ble

Mike DiClaudio
 

in bluetooth/host/gatt.c, the notify member of bt_gatt_subscribe_params is called without checking for a null pointer. In my central, the peripheral disconnected while I was subscribed to an attribute and unbeknownst to me, the subscription was still maintained. Upon disconnect, I zeroed the params and wiped out the notify pointer which was eventually called. Adding BT_GATT_SUBSCRIBE_FLAG_VOLATILE resolved the problem. Additionally, the behavior only happens with a LESC bonded connection. Possible ways that I see to fix this:
* check for null pointer before calling notify() and either skip it or perhaps panic
* set the volatile flag by default (I don't know BLE well, so maybe this is part of the standard as it is)
* adjust the logic in gatt.c:remove_subscriptions() to perform the same regardless of the bonding state

Mike

Re: scripts/subfolder_list.py: os.symlink: OSError: [Errno 36] File name too long

Abhishek Shah
 

Hi Carles,

I think this can be solved in multiple ways, just by taking a quick look at the subfolder_list.py script.

I don't have much experience on Python. I thought sharing with the community, we could get quicker and proper solution.

Opened GitHub enhancement issue here per your suggestion: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/24576


Thanks,
Abhishek

Re: scripts/subfolder_list.py: os.symlink: OSError: [Errno 36] File name too long

Carles Cufi
 

Hi Abhishek,

 

I think this can be solved in multiple ways, just by taking a quick look at the subfolder_list.py script.

It is even handled differently on Windows, where symlinks are not supported.

 

Could you open a GitHub enhancement issue with the contents of the email and then we can discuss the solution there?

scripts/subfolder_list.py was added by Torsten (I have added him on copy) so I think he’d be the right person to assign the issue to.

 

Regards,

 

Carles

 

From: devel@... <devel@...> On Behalf Of Abhishek Shah via lists.zephyrproject.org
Sent: 18 April 2020 21:01
To: devel@...
Subject: [Zephyr-devel] scripts/subfolder_list.py: os.symlink: OSError: [Errno 36] File name too long

 

Hi -

 

I am facing an issue where os.symlink call in subfolder_list.py(zephyr v2.2) results in below error:

"scripts/subfolder_list.py", line 56, in main

os.symlink(directory, symlink)
OSError: [Errno 36] File name too long
   

 

Here is the example of one of the symlink getting created on one of the systems:

directory path:

'/tmp/yocto_builds/ 20133855_ genericx86-64/poky/build/tmp/work/
aarch64-poky-linux/brcm-zephyr/gitAUTOINC+a20a30cd86_bfa48a337e_dbbf7c9b30_f3635d87f4_90d93a11ba_ae871b61ae_5ba575618e-r0/git/
zephyr/include/arch/arm/aarch32/cortex_m/mpu'

 

It's symlink created by subfolder_list.py:

 '/tmp/yocto_builds/ 20133855_ genericx86-64/poky/build/tmp/work/
aarch64-poky-linux/brcm-zephyr/gitAUTOINC+a20a30cd86_bfa48a337e_dbbf7c9b30_f3635d87f4_90d93a11ba_ae871b61ae_5ba575618e-r0/git/
zephyr/samples/hello_world/build_soc/zephyr/misc/generated/syscalls_links/
_tmp_yocto_builds_20133855_genericx86-64_poky_build_tmp_work_aarch64-poky-linux_brcm-zephyr_gitAUTOINC+a20a30cd86_bfa48a337e_dbbf7c9b30_f3635d87f4_90d93a11ba_ae871b61ae_5ba575618e-r0_git_zephyr_include_arch_arm_aarch32_cortex_m_mpu'

 

Above symlink is evidently too long.

 

I can think of 2 ways to reduce symlink length:

1. Symlink creation should use relative path instead of absolute path.

As symlink is in zephyr build directory and original directory is in build directory;

a relation needs to be established in between zephyr source directory and build directory.

 

2. The final symlink name should not use entire PATH in the name, rather just start from "include_*"

For example: Instead of this:

_tmp_yocto_builds_20133855_genericx86-64_poky_build_tmp_work_aarch64-poky-linux_brcm-zephyr_gitAUTOINC+a20a30cd86_bfa48a337e_dbbf7c9b30_f3635d87f4_90d93a11ba_ae871b61ae_5ba575618e-r0_git_zephyr_include_arch_arm_aarch32_cortex_m_mpu

Name could be just:

include_arch_arm_aarch32_cortex_m_mpu

This should reduce symlink length almost by half.

 

Regards,

Abhishek

Re: scripts/subfolder_list.py: os.symlink: OSError: [Errno 36] File name too long

Abhishek Shah
 

correction:
As symlink is in zephyr build directory and original directory is in source directory;
a relation needs to be established in between zephyr source directory and build directory.
 

Release Readiness meeting today

Carles Cufi
 

Hi all,

The release readiness meeting today will take place as planned, just using Webex instead of Zoom:

*******************************

NOTE: We will be using Webex for this meeting instead of zoom. The link is here:
https://meetingsemea5.webex.com/meetingsemea5/e.php?MTID=m64daae188a1da10f363b25708426dcb2

*******************************

Additional info:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/wiki/Zephyr-Committee-and-Working-Group-Meetings#zephyr-release-readinessbug-triage

Regards,

Carles

API meeting cancelled today

Carles Cufi
 

Hi all,

I have cancelled the API meeting today due to my lack of availability today. To my knowledge, we did not have any pressing matters to discuss, but as always please let me know or add the issue or PR to the API review/cleanup/rework GitHub project in order to be discussed next week.

Apologies for the short notice.

Regards,

Carles

Cancelled Event: Zephyr Project: APIs - Tuesday, 21 April 2020 #cal-cancelled

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Cancelled: Zephyr Project: APIs

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Tuesday, 21 April 2020
9:00am to 10:00am
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/177647878

Organizer: devel@...

Description:
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/177647878

Or iPhone one-tap :
    US: +16465588656,,177647878# or +16699006833,,177647878# 
Or Telephone:
    Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): 
        US: +1 646 558 8656 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free) or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 177 647 878
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=ioAR9GK1OE5LkN1ojt-heTCl7yPcJrhY


 Live meeting minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lv-8B5QE2m4FjBcvfqAXFIgQfW5oz6306zJ7GIZIWCk/edit?usp=sharing

Zephyr 1.14.2 Released

Nashif, Anas
 

Hi,

We are excited to announce the release of Zephyr 1.14.2, the second maintenance release of Zephyr 1.14 (LTS). This release comes 1 year after 1.14.0 was released.

 

This is primarily a bug fix release with the following security vulnerabilities (CVEs) addressed:

  • CVE-2020-10019
  • CVE-2020-10021
  • CVE-2020-10022
  • CVE-2020-10023
  • CVE-2020-10024
  • CVE-2020-10027
  • CVE-2020-10028

 

A list of all issues fixes or addressed can be found here:

 

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/releases/tag/v1.14.2

 

 

Thank you everyone for making this happen.

 

Anas

scripts/subfolder_list.py: os.symlink: OSError: [Errno 36] File name too long

Abhishek Shah
 

Hi -

I am facing an issue where os.symlink call in subfolder_list.py(zephyr v2.2) results in below error:
"scripts/subfolder_list.py", line 56, in main
os.symlink(directory, symlink)
OSError: [Errno 36] File name too long   

Here is the example of one of the symlink getting created on one of the systems:
directory path:
'/tmp/yocto_builds/ 20133855_ genericx86-64/poky/build/tmp/work/
aarch64-poky-linux/brcm-zephyr/gitAUTOINC+a20a30cd86_bfa48a337e_dbbf7c9b30_f3635d87f4_90d93a11ba_ae871b61ae_5ba575618e-r0/git/
zephyr/include/arch/arm/aarch32/cortex_m/mpu'

It's symlink created by subfolder_list.py:
 '/tmp/yocto_builds/ 20133855_ genericx86-64/poky/build/tmp/work/
aarch64-poky-linux/brcm-zephyr/gitAUTOINC+a20a30cd86_bfa48a337e_dbbf7c9b30_f3635d87f4_90d93a11ba_ae871b61ae_5ba575618e-r0/git/
zephyr/samples/hello_world/build_soc/zephyr/misc/generated/syscalls_links/
_tmp_yocto_builds_20133855_genericx86-64_poky_build_tmp_work_aarch64-poky-linux_brcm-zephyr_gitAUTOINC+a20a30cd86_bfa48a337e_dbbf7c9b30_f3635d87f4_90d93a11ba_ae871b61ae_5ba575618e-r0_git_zephyr_include_arch_arm_aarch32_cortex_m_mpu'

Above symlink is evidently too long.

I can think of 2 ways to reduce symlink length:
1. Symlink creation should use relative path instead of absolute path.
As symlink is in zephyr build directory and original directory is in build directory;
a relation needs to be established in between zephyr source directory and build directory.

2. The final symlink name should not use entire PATH in the name, rather just start from "include_*"
For example: Instead of this:
_tmp_yocto_builds_20133855_genericx86-64_poky_build_tmp_work_aarch64-poky-linux_brcm-zephyr_gitAUTOINC+a20a30cd86_bfa48a337e_dbbf7c9b30_f3635d87f4_90d93a11ba_ae871b61ae_5ba575618e-r0_git_zephyr_include_arch_arm_aarch32_cortex_m_mpu
Name could be just:
include_arch_arm_aarch32_cortex_m_mpu
This should reduce symlink length almost by half.

Regards,
Abhishek