Date   
Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group - Thu, 06/18/2020 #cal-notice

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <noreply@...>
 

Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group

When:
Thursday, 18 June 2020
2:00pm to 3:00pm
(GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Description:

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 682 738 030#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________

Upcoming Event: Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group - Thu, 06/18/2020 2:00pm-3:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group

When: Thursday, 18 June 2020, 2:00pm to 3:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: Maureen Helm

Description:

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 682 738 030#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________

Re: stm32h7xx REQUIRES_FULL_LIBC

Andy Ross
 

That sounded curious, so I checked.   It looks like the STM32 RTC driver you found is an old-style y/m/d/h/m/s device with separate fields, and the driver is using mktime() to convert those to a linear value for use by the rest of the system.  Zephyr's minimal libc doesn't have mktime().

But mktime() is pretty small and simple on its own, even with leap day handling (if the device does that).  Dealing with timezones gets crazy, but I don't see any zone management in the driver and am guessing the device doesn't bother to store one (i.e. the value isn't "real" anyway, it just presents a number relative to some consistent zero).  It seems like it would be very feasible for someone to add that logic to the driver, or even contribute a generic GMT-based mktime() to Zephyr.

Andy

On 6/18/2020 5:14 AM, Jan Pohanka wrote:
Hello,

current implementation for stm32h7 soc has REQUIRES_FULL_LIBC enabled
in soc/arm/st_stm32/stm32h7/Kconfig.series. Can someone tell me a
reason for this? I have found that it is also in
drivers/counter/Kconfig.stm32_rtc so I expect that stm32 HAL (or LL)
for counter depends on full libc?

best regards
Jan


stm32h7xx REQUIRES_FULL_LIBC

Jan Pohanka
 

Hello,

current implementation for stm32h7 soc has REQUIRES_FULL_LIBC enabled
in soc/arm/st_stm32/stm32h7/Kconfig.series. Can someone tell me a
reason for this? I have found that it is also in
drivers/counter/Kconfig.stm32_rtc so I expect that stm32 HAL (or LL)
for counter depends on full libc?

best regards
Jan

Zephyr Toolchain Working Group Meeting – 18 June 2020

Rasmussen, Torsten
 


Agenda

  • Updates:
  • Short term goals, way forward
    • Dedicated toolchain test cases.
    • Label PR for automatic execution of CI Toolchain test cases

 

 

Feel free to send a mail, if you would like additional topics to be discussed.

 

Best regards

 

Torsten T. Rasmussen           

 

Live meeting minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IQKBK-GcJNZG0O9QArqYfvb6Huk5xHscN-XIGEZr-z8/edit#heading=h.x36xe8bnwr9r

________________________________________________________________________________

 

Join Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 213-437-3346   United States, Los Angeles (Toll)

Conference ID: 570 955 823#

Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options

________________________________________________________________________________

 

Re: Adding support for Nordic PDM Driver in Devicetree #pdm #driver #nrf52832

Bolivar, Marti
 

Hi there; responses inline.

"Frederik David Damsgaard Popp via lists.zephyrproject.org"
<frdm=demant.com@...> writes:

As I understand it, I need to do at least the following things:

* Create the generic api as well as the api struct, located in
zephyr/include/drivers.
I'm not an audio expert, but are you sure the existing audio codec API
is not right?

I.e. do you really need to create a new generic API in include/drivers/,
not just implement API calls in drivers/audio/my_audio_driver.c or
something like that?

Maybe someone else can weigh in on this particular question. Either way,
some details on devicetree are below.

* Place the actual implementation in zephyr/drivers where the api struct is then connected to this implementation
Additionally, setup the config variables in the *Kconfig* file in the same directory, as well as connecting the source code using *CMakeLists.txt*
* Create a YAML driver binding in zephyr/dts/bindings.
* Bind the driver in the *nrf52832.dtsi* file, in order to make the SoC compatible with this driver.
* Enable the driver in the *nrf52_pca20020.dts* file, in order to make
the board able to use the driver.
Strictly speaking, actual drivers -- as in drivers/subsystem/my_driver.c
files -- are enabled using Kconfig, not devicetree. So
CONFIG_MY_DRIVER=y in Kconfig means "enable my driver," which means
something like "compile my_driver.c."

There is a historical relationship between individual 'struct device'
instances and Kconfig options which Zephyr is moving away from:

https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/guides/kconfig/tips.html#what-not-to-turn-into-kconfig-options

Please see discussion here for more details on where this is going:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/10621#issuecomment-618689638

However, the "moving away" is still work in progress, so I will try to
provide some more details from what I understand about the current
consensus. Clarifications and corrections from others welcome.

First, as you've read from the DT guide, a device driver should decide
what 'struct device' instances to allocate using the devicetree. In
particular, any devicetree node with the right compatible and status
'okay' should result in a struct device, *as long as the driver is
enabled*. The driver being enabled (or not) depends on whether
CONFIG_MY_DRIVER=y (or not).

It's definitely nice to make CONFIG_MY_DRIVER default to y if any node
with the right compatible has an "okay" status in the devicetree, so the
build works properly by default just by setting up the right devicetree
overlays which enable the relevant nodes.

However, people still want to be able to set CONFIG_MY_DRIVER=n to
disable a driver. There was another question on the list about
substituting a different driver for the same hardware earlier this week
which is a good use case for that ability.

So in your case, since you are asking about PDM on nRF52832, if some
node with compatible = "nordic,nrf-pdm" has status = "okay", *and* the
driver is enabled with CONFIG_MY_AUDIO_DRIVER=y (for whatever you choose
to call the Kconfig option), then you should create a struct device for
the node so applications can get the struct device and interact with it
using the right API.

It looks like there is already a dts/bindings/audio/nordic,nrf-pdm.yaml
file, though, so it doesn't seem like you need to define your own
binding. I didn't find any drivers for it in the upstream tree, though.

It's also totally OK, even recommended, to do something like this in the
Kconfig file defining CONFIG_MY_AUDIO_DRIVER:

# Workaround for not being able to have commas in macro arguments
DT_COMPAT_NORDIC_NRF_PDM := nordic,nrf-pdm

config MY_AUDIO_DRIVER
bool
default $(dt_compat_enabled,$(DT_COMPAT_NORDIC_NRF_PDM))
help
Enable my audio driver.

This uses the dt_compat_enabled() kconfigfunction to set the default
value of MY_AUDIO_DRIVER depending on if any nodes with compatible
"nordic,nrf-pdm" have status "okay" (i.e. if the compatible has any
enabled nodes, hence the name). That way, as long as the right driver
subsystem is enabled, your driver will be enabled by default whenever
the devicetree says the hardware is there and enabled.

In the driver subsystem CMakeLists.txt file, you should add something
like this to compile my_audio_driver.c based on the value of
CONFIG_MY_AUDIO_DRIVER:

zephyr_library_sources_ifdef(CONFIG_MY_AUDIO_DRIVER my_audio_driver.c)

See e.g. drivers/spi/CMakeLists.txt for an example; the right CMake
extension function to use can depend on how the CMakeLists.txt is set
up.

Finally, the source file my_audio_driver.c itself should decide what
struct devices to instantiate using the final devicetree, as you've read
about in the devicetree guide. See drivers/pwm/pwm_nrfx.c for an
nRF-based example that does the right thing in my opinion.

To summarize:

- The soc.dtsi file just declares that the chip has some hardware by
defining a node or nodes for it; that's a question of hardware, not
software, and drivers are software. The soc.dtsi file can set the
compatible property on a node to say what kind of hardware it
represents.

In some cases on Nordic hardware, a node's compatible is left for the
user to pick. This happens when one ID in the product specification's
instantiation table can be used in multiple ways, see e.g. i2c0 in
nrf52832.dtsi, which could be set to nordic,nrf-twi or nordic-nrf-twim
depending on what the user wants. That's not the case with the PDM
peripheral on nRF52832, though.

- The BOARD.dts file has the option of setting the status property for
some nodes if the board's maintainer wants to; setting status to
"disabled" usually means software should ignore that hardware
completely, even though it knows it's "there." But status = "okay"
doesn't say what software driver to use for that hardware, because
again DT is for describing hardware.

- Only Kconfig can say "compile this driver for this hardware." It's
good if Kconfig takes clues from the devicetree to decide when to do
that by default, but the user must remain in control and able to
override that default decision.


This is how far I have gotten yet, and was wondering if I have missed anything?
I know the tree is not consistent in implementing the above
"vision," but I hope the examples and links help. Please let me know if
that's not clear.

Additionally I would like to ask (and I don't know whether this is the
right forum), if there is any possibility that this is pushed to the
official upstream, if I succeed?
Patches are generally welcome, just make sure you follow the
contributing guide, and it can't hurt to ask around like you are doing
here. You never know what other people might be doing.

I would then make a small sample, and document in accordance with the
guidelines, so that others may also use it.
If you're planning on upstreaming this, I would make sure to figure out
who the right maintainers are to decide the API that should be used or
if a new API is really needed. Defining a new API is harder and takes
more work and coordination than writing a driver for an existing API.

The devel list is a good place to ask about this. You're doing the right
thing (but I don't know the answer about what API to use).

Thanks in advance!
You're welcome,
Martí

Re: problems building a BME680 app: zephyr_prebuilt.elf uses VFP register arguments ....

Lawrence King
 

I experienced the same ABI issue linking an existing library when moving from Zephyr v2.2.0 to Zephyr v2.3.0.

In addition to the suggestions Charles made:
CONFIG_FP_SOFTABI=y
or
CONFIG_FP_HARDABI=y
in your prj.conf.
I also had to add
CONFIG_FPU=y
to my prj.conf so that I could link an existing library to a newly compiled project. 

Buildkite CI service transition

Kumar Gala
 

All,

We have been looking CI solutions due to some changes in the service we’ve been provided by shippable.

One of the options we’ve been testing is Buildkite. As such you’ve probably seen a GitHub status for buildkite.

We have setup things such that Shippable status is still considered required and the buildkite status is optional at this stage.

One thing is that any PR that was submitted before the buildkite infrastructure was committed into the master needs to be rebased on master to get the buildkite files. You can tell if <ZEPHYROOT>/.buildkite/pipeline.yml exists for you.

If you have any questions you can find me either via email or on slack on the #infrastructure channel.

Thanks

- k

Dev-Review Meeting Agenda Jun 18

Kumar Gala
 

Here’s the agenda topics for this week:

NOTE: Carles will be running this weeks meeting as I will not be able to attend to.

* Continue (and hopefully closure) on constify of struct device:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/22941
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/26072
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/26073

* Any PR/issues w/dev-review tag

* Any topics anyone else has.

- k

Adding support for Nordic PDM Driver in Devicetree #pdm #driver #nrf52832

Frederik David Damsgaard Popp
 

Hello Zephyr development community.

I'm not quite sure where to post this, but I'll start here.
I am currently preparing for my bachelor thesis project, where I will attempt to perform some sort of Audio processing with Zephyr on a Nordic Board with an ARM Cortex M chipset.

For this, I will need to sample audio from a MEMS PDM microphone, on the same board.
In order to set this up, I would like to implement the existing PDM driver present in the FW of the Nordic Thingy 52 into Zephyr.
The source code is available on Github.

I have read the Device Tree guide on the official documentation, and I think I have a basic understanding for how this needs to be done.

As I understand it, I need to do at least the following things:

  • Create the generic api as well as the api struct, located in zephyr/include/drivers.
  • Place the actual implementation in zephyr/drivers where the api struct is then connected to this implementation
    Additionally, setup the config variables in the Kconfig file in the same directory, as well as connecting the source code using CMakeLists.txt
  • Create a YAML driver binding in zephyr/dts/bindings.
  • Bind the driver in the nrf52832.dtsi file, in order to make the SoC compatible with this driver.
  • Enable the driver in the nrf52_pca20020.dts file, in order to make the board able to use the driver.

This is how far I have gotten yet, and was wondering if I have missed anything?

Additionally I would like to ask (and I don't know whether this is the right forum), if there is any possibility that this is pushed to the official upstream, if I succeed?
I would then make a small sample, and document in accordance with the guidelines, so that others may also use it.

Thanks in advance!


Best regards,
Frederik David Damsgaard Popp, Oticon A/S

Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: APIs - Tue, 06/16/2020 4:00pm-5:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr Project: APIs

When: Tuesday, 16 June 2020, 4:00pm to 5:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: devel@...

Description:

Meeting decisions/discussions in their respective PRs, tracked here: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/projects/18


________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 317 990 129#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________

Need help in configuring ip address from telnet or ssh#networking

giriprasad@...
 

Hi Team,

Following is my requirement, please go through and please suggest a possible method for me.

I had PCA10056(NRF52840) board with me. It will be having a default IPV4 address when the device gets booted. My requirement is that the user should be able to set the ip_address of his preference to the board at run time. He can use telnet or ssh or any other protocol with an ethernet interface. Please suggest the possible solution for this requirement.

Thanks & Regards,
Giri Prasad N.

API meeting: agenda

Carles Cufi
 

Re: Contribution code for our platform

cheryl.su@...
 
Edited

thanks for your reply.
We will offer more our chip's information in the furture, and we are preparing some documents for public release.
Currently, we offer basic information (ex.support feature, hardwares, .... ) in the index.rst, and one board's photo.

And excuese me, does the HAL means the driver porting under the driver folder?
if it is. We have. We have already completed some feature such as interrupt, timer, uart.....and we will submit at the same time.

License will follow zephyr (
 Apache 2.0 license )

BR,


Re: Contribution code for our platform

Kumar Gala
 

On Jun 15, 2020, at 2:14 AM, cheryl.su@... wrote:

Hi all,

We are ITE and we want to submit our chip support to the upstream.
Our business partners have ever mentioned it in your weekly process meeting.
He says you are compleatedly OK eventhough our chip hasn't been release yet.
We appreciated for it!
Our Chip platform is called "IT8XXX2_evb" and it's RISCV32 base.

We will submit our code to zephyr git in this or next week.
Thanks for your review!
There shouldn’t be an issue as long as you are willing to support the code associated with your SoC. Do you expect documentation to be public at some point?

Are you able to share any specific details of the SoC like a block diagram?

Do you guys have a HAL for drivers? If so what kinda of license are these drivers under?

- k

Re: Contribution code for our platform

Henrik Brix Andersen
 

Hi Cheryl,

That sounds very interesting. Looking forward to seeing your contribution!

Best regards,
Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen

On 15 Jun 2020, at 09.14, cheryl.su@... wrote:

Hi all,

We are ITE and we want to submit our chip support to the upstream.
Our business partners have ever mentioned it in your weekly process meeting.
He says you are compleatedly OK eventhough our chip hasn't been release yet.
We appreciated for it!
Our Chip platform is called "IT8XXX2_evb" and it's RISCV32 base.

We will submit our code to zephyr git in this or next week.
Thanks for your review!

best regards,
Cheryl Su
ITE Tech. INC

Contribution code for our platform

cheryl.su@...
 

Hi all,

We are ITE and we want to submit our chip support to the upstream.
Our business partners have ever mentioned it in your weekly process meeting.
He says you are compleatedly OK eventhough our chip hasn't been release yet. 
We appreciated for it! 
Our Chip platform is called "IT8XXX2_evb" and it's RISCV32 base.

We will submit our code to zephyr git in this or next week.
Thanks for your review!

best regards,
Cheryl Su
ITE Tech. INC

Post 2.3.0 PR merging

Carles Cufi
 

Hi all,

We currently have 170+ Pull Requests that pass CI but require one or more approvals in order to be merged, in part due to the fact that we have increased the minimum number of approvals required from 1 to 2.

Help reviewing those PRs is greatly appreciated:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+base%3Amaster+review%3Arequired+status%3Asuccess+-label%3ADNM+draft%3Afalse

Thanks,

Carles

Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting - Thu, 06/11/2020 3:00pm-4:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

devel@lists.zephyrproject.org Calendar <devel@...>
 

Reminder: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

When: Thursday, 11 June 2020, 3:00pm to 4:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

An RSVP is requested. Click here to RSVP

Organizer: devel@...

Description:

________________________________________________________________________________
+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 483 314 739#
Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options
 
 
________________________________________________________________________________

Re: Zephyr Toolchain Working Group Meeting – 11 June 2020 postponed to 18 June 2020

Carles Cufi
 

I see no toolchain meeting today but one next week, on the 18th, which is what Torsten intended:

 

 

From: devel@... <devel@...> On Behalf Of Thomas Törnblom via lists.zephyrproject.org
Sent: 11 June 2020 15:56
To: devel@...
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Zephyr Toolchain Working Group Meeting – 11 June 2020 postponed to 18 June 2020

 

I still see the old calendar entry and not the new one.

Thomas

Den 2020-06-11 kl. 15:45, skrev Danny Ørndrup (DAOR) via lists.zephyrproject.org:

Hi Carles,

 

Thanks.

 

Strange, that is not reflected in my calendar, which is linked to the zephyr calendar, but that must be a problem on my end though.

 

Regards,

  Danny

 

From: Cufi, Carles <Carles.Cufi@...>
Sent: 11. juni 2020 15:35
To: Danny Ørndrup (DAOR) <daor@...>; Rasmussen, Torsten <Torsten.Rasmussen@...>; devel@...
Subject: RE: [Zephyr-devel] Zephyr Toolchain Working Group Meeting – 11 June 2020 postponed to 18 June 2020

 

This message comes from outside of the corporate network. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the source of this e-mail and know the content is safe.

 

Hi Danny,

 

The calendar was updated earlier today.

 

Carles

 

From: devel@... <devel@...> On Behalf Of Danny Ørndrup (DAOR) via lists.zephyrproject.org
Sent: 11 June 2020 14:45
To: Rasmussen, Torsten <Torsten.Rasmussen@...>; devel@...
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] Zephyr Toolchain Working Group Meeting – 11 June 2020 postponed to 18 June 2020

 

Hi Torsten,

 

Could you update the calendar? If not already done.

I believe that many will miss out, if the calendar does not reflect the rescheduling of the meeting.

 

Regards,

  Danny

 

From: devel@... <devel@...> On Behalf Of Rasmussen, Torsten via lists.zephyrproject.org
Sent: 11. juni 2020 11:45
To: devel@...
Subject: [Zephyr-devel] Zephyr Toolchain Working Group Meeting – 11 June 2020 postponed to 18 June 2020

 

This message comes from outside of the corporate network. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the source of this e-mail and know the content is safe.

 

Today’s meeting has been postponed to 18 June.

 

Sorry for the late notice.

 

See you all in a weeks’ time from now.

 

Best regards

 

Torsten T. Rasmussen           

 

Live meeting minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IQKBK-GcJNZG0O9QArqYfvb6Huk5xHscN-XIGEZr-z8/edit#heading=h.x36xe8bnwr9r

________________________________________________________________________________

 

Join Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 213-437-3346   United States, Los Angeles (Toll)

Conference ID: 570 955 823#

Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options

________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

--

Thomas Törnblom, Product Engineer
IAR Systems AB
Box 23051, Strandbodgatan 1
SE-750 23 Uppsala, SWEDEN
Mobile: +46 76 180 17 80 Fax: +46 18 16 78 01
E-mail:
thomas.tornblom@... Website: www.iar.com
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/iarsystems