Date
Enforcing a 2-approval policy in GitHub: request for more help with PR reviewing

Glaropoulos, Ioannis

Dear Zephyr developers,

According to the Zephyr Project Roles and Contribution Guidelines documentation (https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/contribute/project_roles.html#merge-criteria), pull requests against the Project’s main branch may be merged with 2 approvals. Until now, we have been applying this policy in GitHub, exclusively during Zephyr release stabilization periods (applying 1-approval policy, otherwise). I would like to notify everyone that as of now we will permanently enforce the 2-approval policy.

Consequently, from now on, we will be needing extra assistance in PR reviews to maintain a high-enough rate of getting PRs approved and merged to Zephyr master branch.

A big thanks-in-advance to all for your extra efforts in PR reviewing 😊

Best Regards,

Ioannis glaropoulos | R&D
P +47 21 08 88 37 | Oslo, Norway

nordicsemi.com | devzone.nordicsemi.com

Nordic_logo_signature

override alias in test application

Stefano Manni

Hi there,

I'm trying to compile test/drivers/eeprom for my board. I see that the
code requires the alias 'eeprom_0' defined, but my board does not have
it natively.

I managed to compile changing in the test app some lines like below:

- eeprom = device_get_binding(DT_LABEL(DT_ALIAS(eeprom_0)));
+ eeprom = device_get_binding(DT_LABEL(DT_NODELABEL(eeprom0)));

where eeprom0 is defined in an overlay for my boards.

But I'd prefer to use the alias and not change the app.
What is the right way to override an alias in an overlay file? Sorry
if my question is already addressed somewhere in documentation.

Another consideration: is 'eeprom_0' a valid name? Alias properties
should include only characters from [0-9a-z-]. May we need to fix it?

Thanks,
Stefano

Rebasing PRs post 2.3 merge window opening

Kumar Gala

All,

Please make sure to rebase PRs post the 2.3 merge window opening as the change to make C99 integer (PR #25679) types the default supported type in Zephyr will impact most PRs. Ensuring a rebase will make sure the PRs go back through CI and we catch any build issues.

Re: Optional drivers and board configuration

Carles Cufi

HI Michael,

I’d say he cleanest way is to do it at the SoC level, like this:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/master/soc/arm/atmel_sam/same70/Kconfig.defconfig.series#L83

That way every single board that enables CONFIG_PWM in its defconfig (or any application that enables CONFIG_PWM) will be enabling CONFIG_PWM_SAM. But boards or applications that do not enable CONFIG_PWM will have CONFIG_PWM_SAM disabled.

Carles

From: <devel@...> on behalf of "Michael Hope via lists.zephyrproject.org" <michaelh=juju.nz@...>
Date: Sunday, 7 June 2020 at 19:32
To: devel <devel@...>
Subject: [Zephyr-devel] Optional drivers and board configuration

Hi there.  I'm adding a new SAM0 based board.  What's the best way to enable optional peripherals?  For example, not all users need the PWM driver.  Should I:

- Put CONFIG_PWM=y and CONFIG_PWM_SAM0=y in defconfig and live with the unneeded code?
- Put CONFIG_PWM_SAM0=y in defconfig and ignore the warning?
- or add a

config PWM_SAM0
    default y

    depends on PWM

section to Kconfig.board?

Thanks,

-- Michael

Optional drivers and board configuration

Michael Hope

Hi there.  I'm adding a new SAM0 based board.  What's the best way to enable optional peripherals?  For example, not all users need the PWM driver.  Should I:

- Put CONFIG_PWM=y and CONFIG_PWM_SAM0=y in defconfig and live with the unneeded code?
- Put CONFIG_PWM_SAM0=y in defconfig and ignore the warning?
- or add a

config PWM_SAM0
    default y
    depends on PWM

section to Kconfig.board?

Thanks,

-- Michael

Zephyr v2.3.0 released

We are pleased to announce the release of Zephyr RTOS version 2.3.0.

Major enhancements with this release include:

* A new Zephyr CMake package has been introduced, reducing the need for
environment variables

* A new Devicetree API, based on hierarchical macros, has been introduced. This
new API allows the C code to access virtually all nodes and properties in a
clean, organized fashion

* The kernel timeout API has been overhauled to be flexible and configurable,
with future support for features like 64-bit and absolute timeouts in mind

* A new k_heap/sys_heap heap allocator has been introduced, with much better
performance than the existing k_mem_pool/sys_mem_pool
Zephyr now integrates with the TF-M (Trusted Firmware M) PSA-compliant
framework

* The Bluetooth Low Energy Host now supports LE Advertising Extensions

* The CMSIS-DSP library is now included and integrated

The detailed release notes can be found here:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/releases/tag/zephyr-v2.3.0

The next release, v2.4.0, is tentatively scheduled for September 25th 2020.

I would like to thank everybody who contributed to this release, be it with code, feedback or documentation.

Updated Event: Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group #cal-invite

Zephyr: Toolchain Working Group

When:
Thursday, 28 May 2020
2:00pm to 3:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC
Repeats: Every 2 weeks on Thursday, through Thursday, 23 July 2020

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

Organizer: Maureen Helm

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 682 738 030#

Updated Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting #cal-invite

Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

When:
Thursday, 21 May 2020
3:00pm to 4:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC
Repeats: Weekly on Thursday

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 483 314 739#

Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting - Thu, 06/04/2020 3:00pm-4:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

Reminder: Zephyr Project: Dev Meeting

When: Thursday, 4 June 2020, 3:00pm to 4:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

Description: Join Microsoft Teams Meeting: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_M2Q2ZDk4OWItMWE2MS00MTExLTkyYTQtNmUwOTA4MzgwOGYw%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%22%7d

+1 213-437-3346 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)
Conference ID: 750 623 026#

Local numbers:
https://dialin.teams.microsoft.com/488d1b50-0dd2-4ca1-aee4-92bb50a48081?id=750623026

Dev-Review Meeting Agenda Jun 4

Kumar Gala

Here’s the agenda topics for this week:

* Concept Overview for improving support for serial flash devices via SPI and QSPI [Peter]:

* optimize integration testing in CI [Anas]:

* 2.4 plans

* Any topics anyone else has.

- k

Updated Event: Zephyr Project: APIs #cal-invite

Zephyr Project: APIs

When:
Tuesday, 26 May 2020
4:00pm to 5:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC
Repeats: Weekly on Tuesday

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 317 990 129#

Zephyr 2.3.0-rc2 tagged

The second release candidate for Zephyr 2.3.0 has now been tagged (v2.3.0-rc2).

The current issue counts are:

- 1 high-priority bug
- 16 medium-priority bugs

The high-priority bug (#23364) has a PR (#25954), but a waiver to release without a fix for this particular issue has been requested, due to the invasiveness of the Pull Request and the risk of merging it this late in the release cycle. A note would be added to the release notes and a subsequent 2.3.1 would be released to address this issue.

During the days left until the release, I would encourage everybody to test thoroughly and file any issues found so that they can be fixed as quickly as possible. Additionally, there are still sections in the release notes that need filling, those can be tracked here:

The full release log can be found here:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/releases/tag/v2.3.0-rc2

More details about Zephyr releases can found on the pages below:
https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/development_process/release_process.html
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/wiki/Program-Management

The final release remains scheduled for June 5th.

Thank you to everybody who contributed to this release so far!

Carles

Running LWM2M client on nucleo_wb55rg

Brenton Chetty

Hi, I am new to Zephyr.
I managed to get the LWM2M client working using qemu.
How do I get lwm2m working on the nucleo_wb55rg?
On RIOT OS, I had to make use of a border router and tap interface to get the board communicating with the leshan server on my pc.

With thanks
Brenton

Updated Event: Zephyr Project: APIs #cal-invite

Zephyr Project: APIs

When:
Tuesday, 26 May 2020
4:00pm to 5:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC
Repeats: Weekly on Tuesday

Where:
Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 321-558-6518 United States, Orlando (Toll)
Conference ID: 317 990 129#

Upcoming Event: Zephyr Project: APIs - Tue, 06/02/2020 4:00pm-5:00pm, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

Reminder: Zephyr Project: APIs

When: Tuesday, 2 June 2020, 4:00pm to 5:00pm, (GMT+00:00) UTC

Where:Microsoft Teams Meeting

https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_YzYzZTAzNGItOWFiMS00MDBkLTkyYmMtNzljZjkwNDVlMThm%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%22%7d

+1 213-437-3346 United States, Los Angeles (Toll)

Conference ID: 262 362 129#

Local numbers:
https://dialin.teams.microsoft.com/488d1b50-0dd2-4ca1-aee4-92bb50a48081?id=262362129

Re: [Zephyr-users] Support for Atmel SAMG55

Kumar Gala

On Jun 1, 2020, at 8:25 AM, Michael Hope <michaelh@...> wrote:

Hi Adam. I just so happen to be adding support for the Adafruit
ItsyBitsy M4 board ATM. It's SAMD51 based which seems to be basically
the same as the SAMG55.

I've checked the UART, GPIO, SPI, and watchdog drivers so far. I'm
adding a PWM and QSPI driver, and will check the USB driver.

You'll need to create your own board definition and to create the
device tree files.

-- Michael
Just an FYI, working on moving pinmux for SAM0 over to DTS like I did for atmel SAM.

Also, we’re under some discussions on QSPI so good to know that you are looking at support for that as well on SAM0.

- k

API meeting: agenda

We will be using Teams instead of Zoom:
https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_YzYzZTAzNGItOWFiMS00MDBkLTkyYmMtNzljZjkwNDVlMThm%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22686ea1d3-bc2b-4c6f-a92c-d99c5c301635%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2262b63b80-05d3-4465-b5a0-f04e4e156f10%22%7d

Today's topics:

- QSPI flash drivers:
- Should we revisit the common QSPI API? https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/20069
- Should it be part of the current SPI API? https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/17902
- If not, should we try to unify the common functionality in the multiple QSPI flash drivers?

- SPI JEDEC runtime support
- PR https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/23658

- RTC API follow-up (if the relevant people are present and there is material for discussion)
- PR: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/23526

Pending additional investigation:
- Documenting API behavior in Doxygen:
- Issue: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/18970
- Issue: https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/issues/21061

Re: [Zephyr-users] Support for Atmel SAMG55

Michael Hope

Yip, looks like I jumped the gun. Sorry about that!

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 18:10, Adam Podogrocki <a.podogrocki@...> wrote:

Hi Michael,

I'm afraid it won't be as easy as using definition for SAMD51. I've compared memory mapping. It is enough to see that Internal Flash has different address, there is Internal ROM in G55. G55 has a single AHB-APB Brigde, wheres D51 has 4 Bridges. In D51 there are Serial Communication Interfaces (SERCOM) which can be configured in I2C, SPI, or USART mode. In G55 similar role is played by FLEXCOM, but memory addresses are different.

In short words it looks like G55 needs its own HAL files.

BR,
Adam

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 15:25, Michael Hope <michaelh@...> wrote:

Hi Adam. I just so happen to be adding support for the Adafruit
ItsyBitsy M4 board ATM. It's SAMD51 based which seems to be basically
the same as the SAMG55.

I've checked the UART, GPIO, SPI, and watchdog drivers so far. I'm
adding a PWM and QSPI driver, and will check the USB driver.

You'll need to create your own board definition and to create the
device tree files.

-- Michael

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 14:32, Adam Podogrocki <a.podogrocki@...> wrote:

Hi,

are there any activities ongoing to add support for SAMG55 MCU to Zephyr?

Regards,
Adam

Re: [Zephyr-users] Support for Atmel SAMG55

Adam Podogrocki