From: Paul Sokolovsky [mailto:paul.sokolovsky@linaro.org]
Sent: Wednesday 30 January 2019 08:22
To: Alberto Escolar Piedras (ALPI) <ALPI@oticon.com>; devel@lists.zephyrproject.org
Subject: Re: [Zephyr-devel] warning: TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR

Hello Alberto,

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 07:15:41 +0000
"Alberto Escolar Piedras (ALPI)" <ALPI@oticon.com> wrote:

Regarding "predictable random number generator", that's interesting
idea for some kinds of testing, but I'm personally not aware of us
using such advanced and cunning test methods in Zephyr.
That's the native posix one ;)
D'oh, I stand corrected. Now I remember it, Bluetooth simulation support, right?

[]

Linaro.org | Open source software for ARM SoCs Follow Linaro: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro

Re: warning: TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR

Paul Sokolovsky

Hello Alberto,

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 07:15:41 +0000
"Alberto Escolar Piedras (ALPI)" <ALPI@oticon.com> wrote:

Regarding "predictable random number generator", that's interesting
idea for some kinds of testing, but I'm personally not aware of us
using such advanced and cunning test methods in Zephyr.
That's the native posix one ;)
D'oh, I stand corrected. Now I remember it, Bluetooth simulation
support, right?

[]

Code Freeze for 1.14 on Friday Feb 1st

Kumar Gala

All,

Just wanted to remind everyone that the code freeze for 1.14 will be this Friday. Please tag any PR as with 1.14 milestone that you feel should try and get merged as part of 1.14.

Re: warning: TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR

Paul Sokolovsky

Hello Andrei,

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 13:35:19 +0000
"Andrei Gansari" <andrei.gansari@nxp.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR.
When building networking samples for boards with entropy devices is
get the warning: warning: TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR (defined at
subsys/random/Kconfig:8) was assigned the value 'y' but got the value
'n'.

We find in subsys/random/Kconfig
TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR depends on !ENTROPY_HAS_DRIVER
ENTROPY_DEVICE_RANDOM_GENERATOR depends on ENTROPY_HAS_DRIVER

Most networking samples have set TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR=y and as I
understand it's for pseudo-random number generation. Boards that have
entropy devices (ENTROPY_HAS_DRIVER) will disable
TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR.

When setting TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR we just want a random generator or
we want a predictable/intuitive random number generator?
We want to have a "random generator" device be present in Zephyr
setup, which various subsystems then can use (instead of failing). So,
TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR is a fallback choice which is always available.
For example, it's available in qemu_* boards, which otherwise don't
have a "real" randomgen. That's why you see TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR in
many networking samples - the only way to make networking samples
accessing to *anyone* is to make sure they run with qemu networking.

Regarding "predictable random number generator", that's interesting
idea for some kinds of testing, but I'm personally not aware of us
using such advanced and cunning test methods in Zephyr.

If we want
both type of generators, then we could remove ENTROPY_HAS_DRIVER
check on TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR?

Is this an issue?

Andrei G.
[]

warning: TEST_RANDOM_GENERATOR

Andrei Gansari

[...]

More datails about HAL architecture

Francesco Franchina <cescus92@...>

Hello everyone!

I'm new to Zephyr and I'm considering to use it to build my next wearable project that will be based on the nRF5 SoC.

Having studied a bit the architecture of features of the project it seems a pretty good choice to me but I still have a doubt that I could not solve reading the documentation and looking around in the web.

I've read about the policy of adopting the HALs of different vendors but I didn't understand:
1) Are there some development policies that ensure that they will not interfere with my code? (e.g. do they mess with interrupts, registers or tasks?)
2) Do they behave consistently across all the supported board or I should expect some slightly different behaviors?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Francesco

Re: [Zephyr-users] Introducing west, Zephyr's meta-tool

Carles Cufi

Hi Luiz,