Eddystone on nrf51 / nrf52


Marcus Shawcroft <marcus.shawcroft@...>
 

Hi,


I've just tried samples/bluetooth/eddystone on nrf51 (bbc_microbit)
and so far as I can tell it doesn't boot as far as main().

Same experiment on nrf52 (pca10040) runs just fine.

Is edddystone expected run on nrf51, has anyone ever tried it?

Cheers
/Marcus


Johan Hedberg
 

Hi Marcus,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017, Marcus Shawcroft wrote:
I've just tried samples/bluetooth/eddystone on nrf51 (bbc_microbit)
and so far as I can tell it doesn't boot as far as main().

Same experiment on nrf52 (pca10040) runs just fine.

Is edddystone expected run on nrf51, has anyone ever tried it?
It is expected to run. I've been mainly using nRF51 USB dongles, but I
just tried the eddystone sample on my micro:bit and it's working fine.
How do you flash yours? I remember I had some strange issues with the
original debug IC firmware, and switching to a JLink one made it better.
You can download a new debug IC firmware here (look for "micro:bit"):

https://www.segger.com/downloads/jlink

You flash it by plugging in the board while keeping the reset button
pressed. It'll show up as a "MAINTENANCE" drive rather than "MICROBIT".

Johan


Marcus Shawcroft <marcus.shawcroft@...>
 


On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 at 06:40, Johan Hedberg <johan.hedberg@...> wrote:
Hi Marcus,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017, Marcus Shawcroft wrote:
> I've just tried samples/bluetooth/eddystone on nrf51 (bbc_microbit)
> and so far as I can tell it doesn't boot as far as main().
>
> Same experiment on nrf52 (pca10040) runs just fine.
>
> Is edddystone expected run on nrf51, has anyone ever tried it?

It is expected to run. I've been mainly using nRF51 USB dongles, but I
just tried the eddystone sample on my micro:bit and it's working fine.
How do you flash yours? I remember I had some strange issues with the
original debug IC firmware, and switching to a JLink one made it better.

Interesting.  I can still build various other samples and flash them to the microbit and they run just fine. I used a microbit fairly extensively a while back when putting together drivers for its I2C, magnetometer, accelerometer, TRNG etc and recall on one or two occasions getting it in a state where it would not flash using the vanilla daplink firmware. Iirc that cleared by power cycling both host and microbit. I also recall that switching to newlib instead of minimal Libc with BT enabled on the microbit results in a similar failure to reach main(). 

Johan would you mind sending me your microbit Eddystone configure file and the git hash of the dev tree that you just tested as working?

Cheers
/Marcus


Johan Hedberg
 

Hi Marcus,

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017, Marcus Shawcroft wrote:
It is expected to run. I've been mainly using nRF51 USB dongles, but I
just tried the eddystone sample on my micro:bit and it's working fine.
How do you flash yours? I remember I had some strange issues with the
original debug IC firmware, and switching to a JLink one made it better.
Interesting. I can still build various other samples and flash them to the
microbit and they run just fine. I used a microbit fairly extensively a
while back when putting together drivers for its I2C, magnetometer,
accelerometer, TRNG etc and recall on one or two occasions getting it in a
state where it would not flash using the vanilla daplink firmware. Iirc
that cleared by power cycling both host and microbit. I also recall that
switching to newlib instead of minimal Libc with BT enabled on the microbit
results in a similar failure to reach main().

Johan would you mind sending me your microbit Eddystone configure file and
the git hash of the dev tree that you just tested as working?
I used the latest bluetooth branch which was rebased against master just
a few hours ago. There's only a one commit difference between the two
branches which is not related (it's for an IPSP static analyzer warning)
so master should behave the same. I didn't do any changes to the
eddystone sample but just built it with its default configuration.

Johan


Vinayak Kariappa <vinayak.kariappa@...>
 

Can you check if the gcc library being linked is from arm6v-m? This is when if you use CROSS_COMPILE.



On 11 Mar 2017, at 08:48, Marcus Shawcroft <marcus.shawcroft@...> wrote:


On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 at 06:40, Johan Hedberg <johan.hedberg@...> wrote:
Hi Marcus,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017, Marcus Shawcroft wrote:
> I've just tried samples/bluetooth/eddystone on nrf51 (bbc_microbit)
> and so far as I can tell it doesn't boot as far as main().
>
> Same experiment on nrf52 (pca10040) runs just fine.
>
> Is edddystone expected run on nrf51, has anyone ever tried it?

It is expected to run. I've been mainly using nRF51 USB dongles, but I
just tried the eddystone sample on my micro:bit and it's working fine.
How do you flash yours? I remember I had some strange issues with the
original debug IC firmware, and switching to a JLink one made it better.

Interesting.  I can still build various other samples and flash them to the microbit and they run just fine. I used a microbit fairly extensively a while back when putting together drivers for its I2C, magnetometer, accelerometer, TRNG etc and recall on one or two occasions getting it in a state where it would not flash using the vanilla daplink firmware. Iirc that cleared by power cycling both host and microbit. I also recall that switching to newlib instead of minimal Libc with BT enabled on the microbit results in a similar failure to reach main(). 

Johan would you mind sending me your microbit Eddystone configure file and the git hash of the dev tree that you just tested as working?

Cheers
/Marcus
_______________________________________________
Zephyr-devel mailing list
Zephyr-devel@...
https://lists.zephyrproject.org/mailman/listinfo/zephyr-devel


Marcus Shawcroft <marcus.shawcroft@...>
 

On 11 March 2017 at 08:17, Johan Hedberg <johan.hedberg@intel.com> wrote:

I used the latest bluetooth branch which was rebased against master just
a few hours ago. There's only a one commit difference between the two
branches which is not related (it's for an IPSP static analyzer warning)
so master should behave the same. I didn't do any changes to the
eddystone sample but just built it with its default configuration.

Ok, I have it running now, I swapped microbits. It appears I have 3
microbits on which it works and 1 microbit on which it doesn't work.

Thank you both for your help.

Cheers
/Marcus