IDE / Debugging

Pushpal Sidhu

Hi All,

I'm trying to convince my company to switch to Zephyr, but the lack of
an actual IDE with a nice graphical debugger startles them (these are
old-school type firmware people who have gotten used to IDEs).

Is there anything people are doing? The biggest stopper is probably
the graphical debugging ability that they may lose e.g. IAR.
Preferably something on Windows (so no ddd unless WSL quickly gets to
a better place with USB support).

- Pushpal

Justin

I would look into Segger https://www.segger.com/. They make a great debugger and they have a debugger IDE. I use it with Zephyr and I code with Sublime text. Some peripherals can't be debugged with "printf" statements. Don't be so quick to call them old-school. A professional firmware engineer knows the value of a debugger, and frankly shouldn't be without it.

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 10:03 AM Pushpal Sidhu <psidhu.devel@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I'm trying to convince my company to switch to Zephyr, but the lack of
an actual IDE with a nice graphical debugger startles them (these are
old-school type firmware people who have gotten used to IDEs).

Is there anything people are doing? The biggest stopper is probably
the graphical debugging ability that they may lose e.g. IAR.
Preferably something on Windows (so no ddd unless WSL quickly gets to
a better place with USB support).

- Pushpal

Pushpal Sidhu

Thanks for the suggestion Justin.

Haha, by old school, I meant they are very far removed from CLI
debugging through gdb (which is what I'm used to) as they've been
using tools like IAR for a while. So maybe not old school, but maybe
cli-adverse.

- Pushpal

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 10:03 AM Pushpal Sidhu <psidhu.devel@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi All,

I'm trying to convince my company to switch to Zephyr, but the lack of
an actual IDE with a nice graphical debugger startles them (these are
old-school type firmware people who have gotten used to IDEs).

Is there anything people are doing? The biggest stopper is probably
the graphical debugging ability that they may lose e.g. IAR.
Preferably something on Windows (so no ddd unless WSL quickly gets to
a better place with USB support).

- Pushpal

Hi Pushpal,

We are in the process of switching from Make/Kbuild to CMake. Once this transition is complete it should be possible to generate IDE projects from CMake itself, although the focus initially is on being able to compile from the command-line with CMake first.

As someone mentioned before, Segger Embedded Studio (SES) is a good option and hopefully we’ll get closer to integrating with it and others as the CMake transition ends and we can focus on that area.

On 17/10/2017, 19:03, "zephyr-devel-bounces@lists.zephyrproject.org on behalf of Pushpal Sidhu" <zephyr-devel-bounces@lists.zephyrproject.org on behalf of psidhu.devel@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

I'm trying to convince my company to switch to Zephyr, but the lack of
an actual IDE with a nice graphical debugger startles them (these are
old-school type firmware people who have gotten used to IDEs).

Is there anything people are doing? The biggest stopper is probably
the graphical debugging ability that they may lose e.g. IAR.
Preferably something on Windows (so no ddd unless WSL quickly gets to
a better place with USB support).

- Pushpal

Piotr Mienkowski

On 17.10.2017 19:03, Pushpal Sidhu wrote:
I'm trying to convince my company to switch to Zephyr, but the lack of
an actual IDE with a nice graphical debugger startles them (these are
old-school type firmware people who have gotten used to IDEs).

Is there anything people are doing? The biggest stopper is probably
the graphical debugging ability that they may lose e.g. IAR.
I've been using Eclipse <https://www.eclipse.org/> + "C/C++ Hardware
Debugging" plug-in for a while. It works flawlessly and is reasonably
easy to setup. If you are developing on ARM there is also "GNU MCU
Eclipse <https://gnu-mcu-eclipse.github.io/>" plug-in. I know I'm not
the only one as there is some - limited - support for using Eclipse with
Zephyr.

-- Piotr

Yannis Damigos

On 10/17/2017 08:03 PM, Pushpal Sidhu wrote:
Hi All,

I'm trying to convince my company to switch to Zephyr, but the lack of
an actual IDE with a nice graphical debugger startles them (these are
old-school type firmware people who have gotten used to IDEs).

Is there anything people are doing? The biggest stopper is probably
the graphical debugging ability that they may lose e.g. IAR.
Hi,

I am using the eclipse CDT standalone debugger without any issues.

Yannis

Pushpal Sidhu

Thanks for the suggestions / information. I'll begin evaluating these.
This may be a great interim solution until the switch to CMake is made
and fully tested out.

- Pushpal

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Yannis Damigos
<giannis.damigos@gmail.com> wrote:

On 10/17/2017 08:03 PM, Pushpal Sidhu wrote:
Hi All,

I'm trying to convince my company to switch to Zephyr, but the lack of
an actual IDE with a nice graphical debugger startles them (these are
old-school type firmware people who have gotten used to IDEs).

Is there anything people are doing? The biggest stopper is probably
the graphical debugging ability that they may lose e.g. IAR.
Hi,

I am using the eclipse CDT standalone debugger without any issues.

Yannis

Justin

Pushpal please, at the very least, send your results to this mailing or, beyond the minimum, make a post online and make a note here for others to view your evaluation results.

<giannis.damigos@...> wrote:

> On 10/17/2017 08:03 PM, Pushpal Sidhu wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm trying to convince my company to switch to Zephyr, but the lack of
>> an actual IDE with a nice graphical debugger startles them (these are
>> old-school type firmware people who have gotten used to IDEs).
>>
>> Is there anything people are doing? The biggest stopper is probably
>> the graphical debugging ability that they may lose e.g. IAR.
>
> Hi,
>
> I am using the eclipse CDT standalone debugger without any issues.
>
> Yannis

Aaron Xu

Hi,

As the zephyr 1.11.0 is released, and it support  a native Microsoft Windows development environment.
Any documentation for coding and debugging with Segger Embedded Studio (SES)  on windows?