BLE Nitrogen

Zarkhin, Gene <Gene_Zarkhin@...>

Hello,

I purchased several BLE Nitrogen boards and having some problems finding necessary documentation and making them work.

The web site provided by Digi-Key points to http://wiki.seeed.cc/BLE_Nitrogen/ site, which points to  https://www.zephyrproject.org/ but on that site there is no information about BLE Nitrogen and that board is not in the list of supported boards.

Also, I installed provided driver on Win 7 and did not get correct drive letter for MassStorage device.

If you have some proper documentation on how to work with BLE Nitrogen, please let me know.

Thanks,

Gene Zarkhin

Software Engineer

gene_zarkhin@...

(508) 766-9030 – office

(617) 943-2331 – cell

Kinder, David B <david.b.kinder@...>

I see the http://wiki.seeed.cc/BLE_Nitrogen/ site says, “Zephyr applications use the nrf52_nitrogen configuration to run on the nRF52 Nitrogen hardware.”

Check out the http://docs.zephyrproject.org/boards/arm/96b_nitrogen/doc/96b_nitrogen.html documentation and see if that’s what you’re looking for.

-- david

I purchased several BLE Nitrogen boards and having some problems finding necessary documentation and making them work.

The web site provided by Digi-Key points to http://wiki.seeed.cc/BLE_Nitrogen/ site, which points to  https://www.zephyrproject.org/ but on that site there is no information about BLE Nitrogen and that board is not in the list of supported boards.

Also, I installed provided driver on Win 7 and did not get correct drive letter for MassStorage device.

If you have some proper documentation on how to work with BLE Nitrogen, please let me know.

Thanks,

Gene Zarkhin

Software Engineer

gene_zarkhin@...

(508) 766-9030 – office

(617) 943-2331 – cell

Zarkhin, Gene <Gene_Zarkhin@...>

David,

That is definitely helpful to start working.

Thanks,

Gene Zarkhin

gene_zarkhin@...

(508) 766-9030 – office

(617) 943-2331 – cell

I purchased several BLE Nitrogen boards and having some problems finding necessary documentation and making them work.

The web site provided by Digi-Key points to http://wiki.seeed.cc/BLE_Nitrogen/ site, which points to  https://www.zephyrproject.org/ but on that site there is no information about BLE Nitrogen and that board is not in the list of supported boards.

Also, I installed provided driver on Win 7 and did not get correct drive letter for MassStorage device.

If you have some proper documentation on how to work with BLE Nitrogen, please let me know.

Thanks,

Gene Zarkhin

Software Engineer

gene_zarkhin@...

(508) 766-9030 – office

(617) 943-2331 – cell

Steve Brown

Hi Gene,

I've got 4 of these and they will only talk with each other and the
Broadcom radio on my RPI3. Neither my ubertooth sniffer nor a CSR 4.0
dongle can decode anything. I have a couple of nRF52840-PDK's, a
Redbear BLEnano2 and a Sparkfun nrf52 breakout board and none of them
have this difficulty.

Steve

On Thu, 2017-12-07 at 20:45 +0000, Zarkhin, Gene wrote:
David,
That is definitely helpful to start working.
Thanks,

Gene Zarkhin
gene_zarkhin@bose.com
(508) 766-9030 – office
(617) 943-2331 – cell

I purchased several BLE Nitrogen boards and having some problems
finding necessary documentation and making them work.
The web site provided by Digi-Key points to http://wiki.seeed.cc/BLE_
Nitrogen/ site, which points to https://www.zephyrproject.org/ but
on that site there is no information about BLE Nitrogen and that
board is not in the list of supported boards.
Also, I installed provided driver on Win 7 and did not get correct
drive letter for MassStorage device.
If you have some proper documentation on how to work with BLE
Nitrogen, please let me know.
Thanks,

Gene Zarkhin
Software Engineer
gene_zarkhin@bose.com
(508) 766-9030 – office
(617) 943-2331 – cell

Zarkhin, Gene <Gene_Zarkhin@...>

Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

That is a little discouraging

How do you program them?

I connected the board to Win 7 and it created a CDC device and MassStorage device.

So on Teraterm I see "Hello World" (very exciting!), which stops working after printing several lines and disk drive, which does not have an assigned letter.

Reading some docs - they say it supports drug and drop of the image (they do not specify format, I hope it is hex) but the drive does not have a letter (as I already mentioned).

I'll try on Linux machine over the weekend, maybe it will assign a drive.

Also, Nordic requires soft device to be programmed (has a bootloader and BLE stack), so it should be drugged and dropped before the app, I guess.

Maybe in your case they have a wrong soft device, no BLE compatible?

Gene Zarkhin

gene_zarkhin@...

(508) 766-9030 – office

(617) 943-2331 – cell

I've got 4 of these and they will only talk with each other and the Broadcom radio on my RPI3. Neither my ubertooth sniffer nor a CSR 4.0 dongle can decode anything. I have a couple of nRF52840-PDK's, a Redbear BLEnano2 and a Sparkfun nrf52 breakout board and none of them have this difficulty.

Steve

On Thu, 2017-12-07 at 20:45 +0000, Zarkhin, Gene wrote:

> David,

> That is definitely helpful to start working.

> Thanks,

> Gene Zarkhin

> gene_zarkhin@...

> (508) 766-9030 – office

> (617) 943-2331 – cell

Steve Brown

Hi Gene,

You can program it with drag/drop CMSIS bootloader's disk, pyocd or
openocd over USB. The "make flash" uses pyocd and worked fine for me.

The softdevice is only the Nordic SDK. Zephyr's Bluetooth and mesh
stacks include everything.

I've got some V1.0 and V1.1's. They are identical except for the caps
in the antenna matching network. If you have a newer version, maybe
they have the RF issues sorted out. I went to a Nordic class a few
weeks ago and they said they will qualify the RF layout and components
if the manufacturer sends them samples.

I'm running a Ubuntu distribution and the drive comes up as
/media/<username>/mbed.

Steve

On Thu, 2017-12-07 at 22:03 +0000, Zarkhin, Gene wrote:
[...]

That is very strange, since the nRF52832 on the Nitrogen is exactly the same as the one on the BLEnano2, and the codebase for the controller should be identical as well.
When you say "decode anything", do you mean you are not able to connect from the CSR 4.0 dongle to the Nitrogen?

Hi Gene,

Zephyr includes a full open source Bluetooth Low Energy stack, including a controller, which completely replaces the SoftDevice.

I would recommend you start by building the samples/Bluetooth/beacon sample and try it out to see if it works for you.

Let me know if you need additional info.

I've got 4 of these and they will only talk with each other and the Broadcom radio on my RPI3. Neither my ubertooth sniffer nor a CSR 4.0 dongle can decode anything. I have a couple of nRF52840-PDK's, a Redbear BLEnano2 and a Sparkfun nrf52 breakout board and none of them have this difficulty.

Steve

On Thu, 2017-12-07 at 20:45 +0000, Zarkhin, Gene wrote:

> David,

> That is definitely helpful to start working.

> Thanks,

> Gene Zarkhin

> gene_zarkhin@...

> (508) 766-9030 – office

> (617) 943-2331 – cell

Puzdrowski, Andrzej

Hi Gene

Maybe your mass storage issue is a problem with assigning free disk letter on windows? There are loot of tutorials how to fix this.

BR

Andrzej

Zephyr includes a full open source Bluetooth Low Energy stack, including a controller, which completely replaces the SoftDevice.

I would recommend you start by building the samples/Bluetooth/beacon sample and try it out to see if it works for you.

Let me know if you need additional info.

I've got 4 of these and they will only talk with each other and the Broadcom radio on my RPI3. Neither my ubertooth sniffer nor a CSR 4.0 dongle can decode anything. I have a couple of nRF52840-PDK's, a Redbear BLEnano2 and a Sparkfun nrf52 breakout board and none of them have this difficulty.

Steve

On Thu, 2017-12-07 at 20:45 +0000, Zarkhin, Gene wrote:

> David,

> That is definitely helpful to start working.

> Thanks,

> Gene Zarkhin

> gene_zarkhin@...

> (508) 766-9030 – office

> (617) 943-2331 – cell

Steve Brown

Hi Charles,

On Fri, 2017-12-08 at 08:35 +0000, Cufi, Carles wrote:
Hi Gene,

I've got 4 of these and they will only talk with each other and the
Broadcom radio on my RPI3. Neither my ubertooth sniffer nor a CSR
4.0
dongle can decode anything. I have a couple of nRF52840-PDK's, a
Redbear
BLEnano2 and a Sparkfun nrf52 breakout board and none of them have
this
difficulty.
That is very strange, since the nRF52832 on the Nitrogen is exactly
the same as the one on the BLEnano2, and the codebase for the
controller should be identical as well.
When you say "decode anything", do you mean you are not able to
connect from the CSR 4.0 dongle to the Nitrogen?

I started with 2 Nitrogens and attempted to connect to them with a CSR
dongle. I received no unprovisioned beacons. I fired up the ubertooth
sniffer and didn't see any traffic either. My conclusion was that they
were broken. They shipped from China and I imagined them getting fried
by some customs x-ray machine. I got 2 more locally and they behaved
the same.

The ubertooth spec analyzer showed RF on the advertising channels. The
envelopes were not the steep sloped ones like other boards. I don't
have the equipment to figure out what's happening.

I have a V1.0 and V1.1. They differ in the components in the matching
network between the SOC and the chip antenna. Otherwise, the boards
appear identical. The factory rep at the Nordic class said the board
layout and component placement in the RF section was very critical. I
guess he's right.

I have a blenano2 also. It just works.

By accident, I discovered that they would work with the Broadcom radio
on my RPI3.

If anybody is using these boards, I'd really like to hear from them.

Steve

Yang Zhang <yang.zhang@...>

From: Steve Brown <sbrown@...>
Date: December 8, 2017 at 1:32:37 AM PST
To: "Cufi, Carles" <Carles.Cufi@...>, Steve Brown <sbrown@...>, "Zarkhin, Gene" <Gene_Zarkhin@...>, "Kinder, David B" <david.b.kinder@...>, "zephyr-devel@...ect.org" <zephyr-devel@...ect.org>

[...]

I copy Seeedstudio the manufacturer of Nitrogen on to this thread. Nitrogen V1.1 should have improved antenna matching indeed. We did find some issues in the original V1.0 but V1.1 have addressed that for me at least.

@Albert, Peiyu, Nana, can someone comment on the difference of V1.1 vs V1.0 on Nitrogen design here?

I have a blenano2 also. It just works.

By accident, I discovered that they would work with the Broadcom radio
on my RPI3.

If anybody is using these boards, I'd really like to hear from them.

Steve

Zarkhin, Gene <Gene_Zarkhin@...>

I purchased 4 BLE Nitrogen boards on Digikey and all of them are V1.0

Shall I order V1.1 or can those boards be replaced or they still may work?

Gene Zarkhin

gene_zarkhin@...

(508) 766-9030 – office

(617) 943-2331 – cell

On 8 December 2017 at 15:43, Zarkhin, Gene <Gene_Zarkhin@...> wrote:

I purchased 4 BLE Nitrogen boards on Digikey and all of them are V1.0

Shall I order V1.1 or can those boards be replaced or they still may work?

They should still work - I have 1.0 here too. Although V1.1 should have improved RF perf.

Seeedstudio should confirm.

Gene Zarkhin

gene_zarkhin@...

(508) 766-9030 – office

(617) 943-2331 – cell

[...]

Albert缪 <am@...>

Hi Gene,

Yes, BLE Nitrogen 1.1 is full compatible with the old version;
V1.1 has better antenna circuit;

//———
Thanks
Albert Miao
<am@...>

On 12/08/2017 07:43, Zarkhin, Gene wrote:

[...]

Carles,

Before basically writing new application using Zephyr stack, I ported my application written with softDevice using Nordic SDK to Nitrogen board.

It kind of works, however there are 2 major issues:

  1. It takes several minutes for Nitrogen board to be configured with Windows.  Device manager recognizes a HID device (not configured properly – having exclamation point) and a disk drive.  Both suddenly become look normal after several minutes and only then I can program the board.  I can either create a combined hex file (soft device and my app hex) and copy to the drive, created by plugging Nitrogen or can copy soft device only and use IAR CMSYS-DAP debugger to load my application.
  2. Second issue is more disturbing.  My application is a central device scanning, connecting and communicating over BLE with my headphones mainly for debug purpose.  Well same application written for Nordic SDK works on DK board perfectly fine.  On Nitrogen board it scans and gives me a list of devices around, but does not connect to any of those devices – basically it just hangs.  Again the difference is – it is running on a different board.  Well, board configuration is different, different pins are used for LEDs, buttons and UART, but from BLE point of view everything should be the same, correct?

Please let me know if you have any idea why it does not connect to my target.

Thanks,

Gene Zarkhin

gene_zarkhin@...

(508) 766-9030 – office

(617) 943-2331 – cell

Zephyr includes a full open source Bluetooth Low Energy stack, including a controller, which completely replaces the SoftDevice.

I would recommend you start by building the samples/Bluetooth/beacon sample and try it out to see if it works for you.

Let me know if you need additional info.

I've got 4 of these and they will only talk with each other and the Broadcom radio on my RPI3. Neither my ubertooth sniffer nor a CSR 4.0 dongle can decode anything. I have a couple of nRF52840-PDK's, a Redbear BLEnano2 and a Sparkfun nrf52 breakout board and none of them have this difficulty.

Steve

On Thu, 2017-12-07 at 20:45 +0000, Zarkhin, Gene wrote:

> David,

> That is definitely helpful to start working.

> Thanks,

> Gene Zarkhin

> gene_zarkhin@...

> (508) 766-9030 – office

> (617) 943-2331 – cell

Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa

Hi Gene,

Regarding your second issue, correct me, you are using SoftDevice and you are not able to connect to your headphones, what is the symptoms you are observing? Is this a headset readily available in market, if I can find that in my office I could give a try tomorrow.

Additionally, SoftDevice  based issues are better answered in our devzone: https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/questions/
. You may find answer already there.

Alternatively, you could try the samples/bluetooth/central_hr Zephyr application, with some modifications that ensures creating a connection to your headphone’s services. Assistance with Zephyr applications are better handled here and on IRC channel #zephyrproject.

Nitrogen boards are actively used in the Zephyr community, unless there is some obvious physical issues in your boards (like antennae matching network) Bluetooth functionality should be pretty straight forward. You can even try central_hr one of your board and peripheral_hr on the other and they should connect to each other on power-up. Let me know if your two boards are able to connect so using these Zephyr application.

Regards,
Vinayak

On 10 Dec 2017, at 22:29, Zarkhin, Gene <Gene_Zarkhin@...> wrote:

Carles,
Before basically writing new application using Zephyr stack, I ported my application written with softDevice using Nordic SDK to Nitrogen board.
It kind of works, however there are 2 major issues:
  1. It takes several minutes for Nitrogen board to be configured with Windows.  Device manager recognizes a HID device (not configured properly – having exclamation point) and a disk drive.  Both suddenly become look normal after several minutes and only then I can program the board.  I can either create a combined hex file (soft device and my app hex) and copy to the drive, created by plugging Nitrogen or can copy soft device only and use IAR CMSYS-DAP debugger to load my application.
  2. Second issue is more disturbing.  My application is a central device scanning, connecting and communicating over BLE with my headphones mainly for debug purpose.  Well same application written for Nordic SDK works on DK board perfectly fine.  On Nitrogen board it scans and gives me a list of devices around, but does not connect to any of those devices – basically it just hangs.  Again the difference is – it is running on a different board.  Well, board configuration is different, different pins are used for LEDs, buttons and UART, but from BLE point of view everything should be the same, correct?
Please let me know if you have any idea why it does not connect to my target.
Thanks,

Gene Zarkhin
(508) 766-9030 – office
(617) 943-2331 – cell

Zephyr includes a full open source Bluetooth Low Energy stack, including a controller, which completely replaces the SoftDevice.
I would recommend you start by building the samples/Bluetooth/beacon sample and try it out to see if it works for you.

Let me know if you need additional info.

I've got 4 of these and they will only talk with each other and the Broadcom radio on my RPI3. Neither my ubertooth sniffer nor a CSR 4.0 dongle can decode anything. I have a couple of nRF52840-PDK's, a Redbear BLEnano2 and a Sparkfun nrf52 breakout board and none of them have this difficulty.

Steve

On Thu, 2017-12-07 at 20:45 +0000, Zarkhin, Gene wrote:
> David,
> That is definitely helpful to start working.
> Thanks,

> Gene Zarkhin
> (508) 766-9030 – office
> (617) 943-2331 – cell

Zarkhin, Gene <Gene_Zarkhin@...>

Vinayak,

Thanks for your email.

The device I am connecting to is on the market, but it requires a special debug mode of operation, which is not available for all users.

So, bottom line – you will not be able to help me with that

My application is based on UART central demo found in Nordic SDK

I issue sd_ble_gap_connect() and get

BLE_GAP_EVT_CONNECTED event in both DK and Nitrogen board

Then I issue ble_db_discovery_start() function and in DK I receive BLE_NUS_C_EVT_DISCOVERY_COMPLETE event

And Nitrogen board hangs – never generates any events.

Gene Zarkhin

gene_zarkhin@...

(508) 766-9030 – office

(617) 943-2331 – cell

Zephyr includes a full open source Bluetooth Low Energy stack, including a controller, which completely replaces the SoftDevice.

I would recommend you start by building the samples/Bluetooth/beacon sample and try it out to see if it works for you.

Let me know if you need additional info.

I've got 4 of these and they will only talk with each other and the Broadcom radio on my RPI3. Neither my ubertooth sniffer nor a CSR 4.0 dongle can decode anything. I have a couple of nRF52840-PDK's, a Redbear BLEnano2 and a Sparkfun nrf52 breakout board and none of them have this difficulty.

Steve

On Thu, 2017-12-07 at 20:45 +0000, Zarkhin, Gene wrote:

> David,

> That is definitely helpful to start working.

> Thanks,

> Gene Zarkhin

> (508) 766-9030 – office

> (617) 943-2331 – cell

Hi Gene,

If what you are doing is  trying to run the SoftDevice and the Nordic nRF5 SDK on the Nitrogen board, then this mailing list is not the appropriate place to ask. As Vinayak pointed out, the Nordic Developer Zone is the right forum for questions about those software platforms.

The Zephyr RTOS is a complete replacement for both the SoftDevice and the nRF5 SDK, and it’s up to you which one to use. If you opt for Zephyr then I’m sure we’ll be able to help you out, and otherwise I recommend you try the Developer Zone or the Nordic technical support team directly.

Zephyr includes a full open source Bluetooth Low Energy stack, including a controller, which completely replaces the SoftDevice.

I would recommend you start by building the samples/Bluetooth/beacon sample and try it out to see if it works for you.

Let me know if you need additional info.

I've got 4 of these and they will only talk with each other and the Broadcom radio on my RPI3. Neither my ubertooth sniffer nor a CSR 4.0 dongle can decode anything. I have a couple of nRF52840-PDK's, a Redbear BLEnano2 and a Sparkfun nrf52 breakout board and none of them have this difficulty.

Steve

On Thu, 2017-12-07 at 20:45 +0000, Zarkhin, Gene wrote:

> David,

> That is definitely helpful to start working.

> Thanks,

> Gene Zarkhin

> (508) 766-9030 – office

> (617) 943-2331 – cell

Marti Bolivar

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Chettimada, Vinayak Kariappa <vinayak.kariappa.chettimada@...> wrote:

Nitrogen boards are actively used in the Zephyr community, unless there is some obvious physical issues in your boards (like antennae matching network) Bluetooth functionality should be pretty straight forward. You can even try central_hr one of your board and peripheral_hr on the other and they should connect to each other on power-up. Let me know if your two boards are able to connect so using these Zephyr application.

FWIW, my personal experience with 1.0 Nitrogen boards has been... suboptimal. 1.1 is indeed better and usable for things like IPSP at shorter ranges, but still falls short of other boards I've tried. Gene, if you can get them replaced with 1.1s, I'd start there.

For comparison, see BLE Nano 2 for another small form-factor Zephyr compatible nRF52 board, which claims BLE 4.2 certification: https://github.com/redbear/nRF5x/blob/master/nRF52832/docs/Specifications.md#ble-module-mb-n2

Marti

Puzdrowski, Andrzej

> Well, board configuration is different, different pins are used for LEDs, buttons and UART, but from BLE point of view everything should be the same, correct?

Can you check how you configured UART flow control on both boards you have used? Mabey this cause your troubles?

Andrzej