[RFC] CODEOWNERS missing default rule

Juan Manuel Torres Palma <j.m.torrespalma@...>

Dear Zephyr maintainers,

I have been checking out the Zephyr source and noticed that some scripts are
not maintained, so decided to start work on them for pure fun.

However, when trying to do a first test pull request [1], I noticed there was no
review or feedback at all. I'm not very educated with Github, so I thought it
was a mistake on my side cause I couldn't add reviewers as it's done in Gerrit.

After a bit of research I noticed the problem might come from the CODEOWNERS
file having no rule matching the file I modified (scripts/tags.sh), thus no
reviewer is added to the pull request.

So, is the fact that there are no rules like '*' or 'scripts/*' done on purpose
or just a mistake?

Please keep me as CC since I'm not subscribed to the mailing list, so I can
follow the thread.

Cheers,
jmtp

[1] https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/5478

--
Juan Manuel Torres Palma
Computer Engineer

Nashif, Anas

Juan,
I think the mean reason your PR did not get attention is the fact that over the last 2-3 weeks many people were out on vacation and just coming back.

[...]

Hi Anas,

Can you confirm you guys receive a notification even if no reviewer is shown in
the GitHub PR?

I've taken the freedom to reopen the PR then.

Cheers,
jmtp

On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 05:24:04PM +0000, Nashif, Anas wrote:
Juan,
I think the mean reason your PR did not get attention is the fact that over the last 2-3 weeks many people were out on vacation and just coming back.

Juan Manuel Torres Palma
Computer Engineer

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 07:47:28 +0900
Juan Manuel Torres Palma <j.m.torrespalma@...> wrote:

Hi Anas,

Can you confirm you guys receive a notification even if no reviewer
is shown in the GitHub PR?
People who "watch" the github project receive such notifications. I
don't know how many there're such people (and not all notifications
seems to be delivered). Other people also scan pending PRs regularly
and triage them (assign labels, reviewers, etc.).

I've taken the freedom to reopen the PR then.
Generally, a month pending is not a term for an open-source
project ;-). We of course target shorter response times, but as most
open-source projects, there're too few a hands, at least sometimes
(e.g. around holidays).

But note that you can always come on IRC and ping people there ;-). And
once you get into the positive feedback cycle (i.e. get your PRs
reviewed/merged to your satisfaction), please consider reviewing other
people's PRs.

Cheers,
jmtp
[]