Topics

Data channels as ADV channel in #BluetoothMesh ? #bluetoothmesh

Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...>

Hi Johan,
In older version of Bluetooth, only 3 channels are used for advertising. But in Bluetooth 5 we can use data channels for advertising.

Can we use data channels as ADV channel by configuring Zephyr #BluetoothMesh stack ?

If this possible then, that could increase efficiency of Mesh performance.

Thank You !!

Johan Hedberg

Hi Vikrant,

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018, Vikrant More wrote:
In older version of Bluetooth, only 3 channels are used for advertising.
But in Bluetooth 5 we can use data channels for advertising.

Can we use data channels as ADV channel by configuring Zephyr
#BluetoothMesh stack ?

If this possible then, that could increase efficiency of Mesh performance.
Agreed, but unfortunately it's not possible with Bluetooth Mesh 1.0.
That said, it's possible we'll see a future Mesh specification version
that allows taking advantage of Bluetooth 5.0 features.

Johan

Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...>

Hi Johan,

But could we add it without waiting for next specification ?

No manufacturer has yet released their products based on #BluetoothMesh on large scale. Everyone is in development stage. So it is good time to add errata to Mesh spec v1.0.0.

Thank You !!

On Feb 22, 2018 9:40 PM, "Johan Hedberg" <johan.hedberg@...> wrote:
Hi Vikrant,

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018, Vikrant More wrote:
> In older version of Bluetooth, only 3 channels are used for advertising.
> But in Bluetooth 5 we can use data channels for advertising.
>
> Can we use data channels as ADV channel by configuring Zephyr
> #BluetoothMesh stack ?
>
> If this possible then, that could increase efficiency of Mesh performance.

Agreed, but unfortunately it's not possible with Bluetooth Mesh 1.0.
That said, it's possible we'll see a future Mesh specification version
that allows taking advantage of Bluetooth 5.0 features.

Johan

Vikrant More <vikrant8051@...>

Not errata, I mean Supplement to main Spec.
Excuse me for my English :)

On Feb 22, 2018 10:35 PM, "Vikrant More" <vikrant8051@...> wrote:
Hi Johan,

But could we add it without waiting for next specification ?

No manufacturer has yet released their products based on #BluetoothMesh on large scale. Everyone is in development stage. So it is good time to add errata to Mesh spec v1.0.0.

Thank You !!

On Feb 22, 2018 9:40 PM, "Johan Hedberg" <johan.hedberg@...> wrote:
Hi Vikrant,

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018, Vikrant More wrote:
> In older version of Bluetooth, only 3 channels are used for advertising.
> But in Bluetooth 5 we can use data channels for advertising.
>
> Can we use data channels as ADV channel by configuring Zephyr
> #BluetoothMesh stack ?
>
> If this possible then, that could increase efficiency of Mesh performance.

Agreed, but unfortunately it's not possible with Bluetooth Mesh 1.0.
That said, it's possible we'll see a future Mesh specification version
that allows taking advantage of Bluetooth 5.0 features.

Johan

Martin Woolley <mwoolley@...>

Except that this is not an error 😊

Mesh 1.0 is..... version 1.0. So let’s see what improvements come in future releases. Proprietary extensions are not a good idea though, no matter how tempting.