Runtime "configuration" system naming

Andrzej from Nordic has just ported the *run-time* configuration system from Mynewt into Zephyr [1].
This is essentially a system-wide way of loading and storing all state from and to non-volatile memory (i.e. flash) in a completely centralized way.

Since it serializes the data before storing it (and deserializes it after loading), and we already use the word "config" for *compile-time* configuration, we have currently renamed it to "s11n" (for serialization).

But some people find this name confusing, so I am now addressing a wider audience for feedback.

The currently proposed names are:

* s11n
* syscfg

Any preferences or alternatives?

[1] https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/6408

Erwan Gouriou

Hi Carles,

Serialization is also sometime called marshalling, so an alternative could be "marshal"/"cfg_marshal"/"rtcfg_marshal"

Cheers
Erwan

On 27 March 2018 at 14:51, Cufi, Carles <Carles.Cufi@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Andrzej from Nordic has just ported the *run-time* configuration system from Mynewt into Zephyr [1].
This is essentially a system-wide way of loading and storing all state from and to non-volatile memory (i.e. flash) in a completely centralized way.

Since it serializes the data before storing it (and deserializes it after loading), and we already use the word "config" for *compile-time* configuration, we have currently renamed it to "s11n" (for serialization).

But some people find this name confusing, so I am now addressing a wider audience for feedback.

The currently proposed names are:

* s11n
* syscfg

Any preferences or alternatives?

[1] https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/6408

Jukka Rissanen

Hi Carles,

as this seems to be about configuration settings, why not

settings
cfgdb

or something like that. Why do we need to mention the serialization at
all in the function names, that sounds like implementation detail.

Cheers,
Jukka

On Tue, 2018-03-27 at 15:29 +0200, Erwan Gouriou wrote:
Hi Carles,

Serialization is also sometime called marshalling, so an alternative
could be "marshal"/"cfg_marshal"/"rtcfg_marshal"

Cheers
Erwan

On 27 March 2018 at 14:51, Cufi, Carles <Carles.Cufi@nordicsemi.no>
wrote:
Hi all,

Andrzej from Nordic has just ported the *run-time* configuration
system from Mynewt into Zephyr [1].
This is essentially a system-wide way of loading and storing all
state from and to non-volatile memory (i.e. flash) in a completely
centralized way.

Since it serializes the data before storing it (and deserializes it
after loading), and we already use the word "config" for *compile-
time* configuration, we have currently renamed it to "s11n" (for
serialization).

But some people find this name confusing, so I am now addressing a
wider audience for feedback.

The currently proposed names are:

* s11n
* syscfg

Any preferences or alternatives?

[1] https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/6408

Hi Erwan,

Thanks for the feedback.

I did think about using “marshalling”, but I thought it was less common than “serialization” so I went for the “s11n” abbreviation.

I would really like to keep it short if possible J

[...]

Sterling Hughes <sterling@...>

I like syscfg mentioned below.

On 27 Mar 2018, at 8:21, Jukka Rissanen wrote:

Hi Carles,

as this seems to be about configuration settings, why not

settings
cfgdb

or something like that. Why do we need to mention the serialization at
all in the function names, that sounds like implementation detail.

Cheers,
Jukka

On Tue, 2018-03-27 at 15:29 +0200, Erwan Gouriou wrote:
Hi Carles,

Serialization is also sometime called marshalling, so an alternative
could be "marshal"/"cfg_marshal"/"rtcfg_marshal"

Cheers
Erwan

On 27 March 2018 at 14:51, Cufi, Carles <Carles.Cufi@nordicsemi.no>
wrote:
Hi all,

Andrzej from Nordic has just ported the *run-time* configuration
system from Mynewt into Zephyr [1].
This is essentially a system-wide way of loading and storing all
state from and to non-volatile memory (i.e. flash) in a completely
centralized way.

Since it serializes the data before storing it (and deserializes it
after loading), and we already use the word "config" for *compile-
time* configuration, we have currently renamed it to "s11n" (for
serialization).

But some people find this name confusing, so I am now addressing a
wider audience for feedback.

The currently proposed names are:

* s11n
* syscfg

Any preferences or alternatives?

[1] https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/pull/6408

Hi Jukka,

Thanks for the feedback.

as this seems to be about configuration settings, why not

settings
cfgdb
I like cfgdb, even though there is no real "database" involved. Perhaps "syscfg" is a bit more neutral though in the sense that it's a "system-wide configuration" of the device without actually explicitly naming any storage backend (database) or mechanism (serialization).

Hi Sterling,

Thanks for the feedback.