CMSIS, ksdk and nrf52 integration

Nashif, Anas

Hi Maureen, Carles:

In the interest of moving forward with CMSIS and related pending changes, I am proposing the following:

- merge CMSIS+ksdk patches from Maureen
- add basic support in Kconfig and the Makefile to allow inclusion of CMSIS headers by SoCs.
- change nrf52 port to use new location of cmsis headers. Carles, will you be ok doing this?

we had a discussion about header namespace for CMSIS. I see both points here, the goal is to avoid changes to existing SDKs including such headers, a quick look reveals directly inclusion is used without namespaces in many vendor SDKs.

Goal is to have everything reviewed and merged by tomorrow, is this Ok with everyone? :-)

Hi Anas,

On 24/05/16 16:44, "Nashif, Anas" <anas.nashif(a)intel.com> wrote:

Hi Maureen, Carles:

In the interest of moving forward with CMSIS and related pending changes,
I am proposing the following:

- merge CMSIS+ksdk patches from Maureen
- add basic support in Kconfig and the Makefile to allow inclusion of
CMSIS headers by SoCs.
- change nrf52 port to use new location of cmsis headers. Carles, will
you be ok doing this?
Of course, in fact there should not be any work at all there as long as
the INCLUDE path points to the new location in a similar format:
<cmsis/file.h>. If we decide to drop the ³cmsis² namespace then it¹s a
simple change, I will make it of course.

we had a discussion about header namespace for CMSIS. I see both points
here, the goal is to avoid changes to existing SDKs including such
headers, a quick look reveals directly inclusion is used without
namespaces in many vendor SDKs.

Goal is to have everything reviewed and merged by tomorrow, is this Ok
with everyone? :-)
Got it, will push the change to include directly without the cmsis/ path.

On 24/05/16 16:47, "Cufi, Carles" <Carles.Cufi(a)nordicsemi.no> wrote:

Hi Anas,

On 24/05/16 16:44, "Nashif, Anas" <anas.nashif(a)intel.com> wrote:

Hi Maureen, Carles:

In the interest of moving forward with CMSIS and related pending changes,
I am proposing the following:

- merge CMSIS+ksdk patches from Maureen
- add basic support in Kconfig and the Makefile to allow inclusion of
CMSIS headers by SoCs.
- change nrf52 port to use new location of cmsis headers. Carles, will
you be ok doing this?
Should be done now, as long as the path to the new location is provided to
the compiler. We now simply include the cmsis file directly assuming it¹s
in the include path:

#include <core_m4.h>

Carles

Maureen Helm

On 24/05/16 16:44, "Nashif, Anas" <anas.nashif(a)intel.com> wrote:

Hi Maureen, Carles:

In the interest of moving forward with CMSIS and related pending
changes, I am proposing the following:

- merge CMSIS+ksdk patches from Maureen
- add basic support in Kconfig and the Makefile to allow inclusion of
CMSIS headers by SoCs.
- change nrf52 port to use new location of cmsis headers. Carles, will
you be ok doing this?
Of course, in fact there should not be any work at all there as long as the
INCLUDE path points to the new location in a similar format:
<cmsis/file.h>. If we decide to drop the ³cmsis² namespace then it¹s a simple
change, I will make it of course.
I was planning to update my patches to add/modify the READMEs similar to what Anas did for qmsi, change cmsis/Include to cmsis/include per the review comments, and rebase ksdk to use the new checkpatch. I'll get this out later today.

we had a discussion about header namespace for CMSIS. I see both points
here, the goal is to avoid changes to existing SDKs including such
headers, a quick look reveals directly inclusion is used without
namespaces in many vendor SDKs.

Goal is to have everything reviewed and merged by tomorrow, is this Ok
with everyone? :-)
Got it, will push the change to include directly without the cmsis/ path.
Sounds good.

[...]

Great. Will wait for that.

Anas

[...]

Why do we need this change if we intend to point the include path to be cmsis/Include. I don’t think we should be changing this. It should get hidden by something like:

subdir-ccflags-$(CONFIG_CMSIS) += -I$(srctree)/ext/hal/cmsis/Include/

Seems better to leave things alone as much as possible.

I assume the cmsis addition will be two commits? One for the actual import, and a second for any related Makefile/Kconfig/README bits?

- k

Maureen Helm

<Carles.Cufi(a)nordicsemi.no>; devel(a)lists.zephyrproject.org
Subject: Re: [devel] CMSIS, ksdk and nrf52 integration

[...]

My preference is to leave it alone, but I thought I was outnumbered on that. Anas and Carles, your thoughts?

I assume the cmsis addition will be two commits? One for the actual import,
and a second for any related Makefile/Kconfig/README bits?
I've got one commit, but just for the import and README. Makefile/Kconfig should be a separate commit

[...]

Don’t have any strong preference here, as long as it is hidden from the users ☺

Anas

[...]

I subscribe. Leaving it alone and pointing to cmsis/Include is my
preference as well.

Carles