git describe of v1.5.0-3830-gecd209f

Current "git describe" for the master gives "v1.5.0-3830-gecd209f". This
is a little bit unfortunate, especially that soon after 1.6.0 it was
like "v1.6.0-27-gb6fb798". I assume there were good thinking on
switching from "tag major releases in the master" to "tag any release
in a branch", so this is just a late notice of when it may matter.

(And indeed, git describe is not the most important command, I myself
never use it, until e.g. there's a need to suffix loads of binaries
from CI and similar, to make it better distinguishable by humans;
v1.6.0-27-gb6fb798 looks much better than v1.5.0-3830-gecd209f in this
respect).

On 17 Jan 2017, at 07:53, Paul Sokolovsky <paul.sokolovsky(a)linaro.org> wrote:

Hello,

Current "git describe" for the master gives "v1.5.0-3830-gecd209f". This
is a little bit unfortunate, especially that soon after 1.6.0 it was
like "v1.6.0-27-gb6fb798". I assume there were good thinking on
switching from "tag major releases in the master" to "tag any release
in a branch", so this is just a late notice of when it may matter.

(And indeed, git describe is not the most important command, I myself
never use it, until e.g. there's a need to suffix loads of binaries
from CI and similar, to make it better distinguishable by humans;
v1.6.0-27-gb6fb798 looks much better than v1.5.0-3830-gecd209f in this
respect).

The 1.6 tag was created on the branch. Starting with 1.6 we create a branch during the stabilisation period and continue development on master or the next release. This is the current model also described on the wiki.

I know git describe won’t work with this model, we need to find an alternative way. Probably when we change the version to 1.x.99, we could tag master so we can get something like: v1.6.99-1772-g003a46a

Hello Anas,

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 16:34:15 +0000
"Nashif, Anas" <anas.nashif(a)intel.com> wrote:

Current "git describe" for the master gives "v1.5.0-3830-gecd209f".
This is a little bit unfortunate, especially that soon after 1.6.0
it was like "v1.6.0-27-gb6fb798". I assume there were good thinking
on switching from "tag major releases in the master" to "tag any
release in a branch", so this is just a late notice of when it may
matter.
[]

The 1.6 tag was created on the branch. Starting with 1.6 we create a
branch during the stabilisation period and continue development on
master or the next release. This is the current model also described
on the wiki.
I see, apparently, we used a local release branch based on
v1.6.0-branch, that's why I saw "v1.6.0-27-gb6fb798" previously.

I know git describe won’t work with this model, we need to find an
alternative way. Probably when we change the version to 1.x.99, we
could tag master so we can get something like: v1.6.99-1772-g003a46a
Yes, that would be nice. I'm just afraid that makes the release process
more and more complicated, but I guess as Zephyr grows, it would become
such anyway.

Anas
Thanks for the reply!

Anas Nashif

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Paul Sokolovsky <
paul.sokolovsky(a)linaro.org> wrote:

Hello Anas,

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 16:34:15 +0000
"Nashif, Anas" <anas.nashif(a)intel.com> wrote:

<snip>

I see, apparently, we used a local release branch based on
v1.6.0-branch, that's why I saw "v1.6.0-27-gb6fb798" previously.

I know git describe won’t work with this model, we need to find an
alternative way. Probably when we change the version to 1.x.99, we
could tag master so we can get something like: v1.6.99-1772-g003a46a
Yes, that would be nice. I'm just afraid that makes the release process
more and more complicated, but I guess as Zephyr grows, it would become
such anyway.

It is just a tag we will put on master the minute we create the release
branch basically.

Thanks for the reply!

David Brown

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 11:17:21AM -0500, Anas Nashif wrote:
On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Paul Sokolovsky
I see, apparently, we used a local release branch based on
v1.6.0-branch, that's why I saw "v1.6.0-27-gb6fb798" previously.
> I know git describe won’t work with this model, we need to find an
> alternative way. Probably when we change the version to 1.x.99, we
> could tag master so we can get something like:
v1.6.99-1772-g003a46a

Yes, that would be nice. I'm just afraid that makes the release
process
more and more complicated, but I guess as Zephyr grows, it would
become
such anyway.

It is just a tag we will put on master the minute we create the
release branch basically.
Should we merge the release branch back into master after the release
is made? This would make describe work again, and should we really be
having changes on the release branch that don't get brought in?

David